d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official Thread
123296Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,900.49
Mar 12 2012 01:34pm
This won't be year specific, so if I happen to be around in seasons to come I'll just keep using this thread.

Interesting fact, the Bucs have played the defending Super Bowl champions on the road in each of the past three years. I really, REALLY hope they beat the Giants this year.
Gold: 8,860.00
Mar 13 2012 03:15am
And it begins - so lets look at what our options are

TAMPA --

TAMPA The Tampa Bay Buccaneers' approach to free agency the past few years has been largely a defensive one. Instead of attacking the market and adding pieces, the Bucs sought mostly to keep their own free agents from jumping to other teams.

That could be about change.

With more than $42.7 million in available salary cap space, a roster full of holes and a fan base anxious to see the team's owners renew their commitment to winning after hiring coach Greg Schiano, the Bucs have reason this free-agency season to be one of the market's bigger players.

Whether they will depends largely on opportunity.

General manager Mark Dominik has vowed to be a more aggressive shopper this year than last year, when the Bucs' biggest addition was punter Michael Koenen. He also said he won't spend just to spend and will only take on players that address a need or fit into the Bucs' scheme.

With that in mind, here's a look at Tampa Bay's most pressing areas of need and some of the free agents that could possibly fill the voids when the market opens for business at 4 p.m. today.

Cornerback

The Bucs are in danger of losing starting right corner Ronde Barber to retirement or another team and starting left corner Aqib Talib to a possible jail sentence, league suspension or both as a result of his involvement in a shooting in Texas last year. The lack of starting-caliber players among the reserves makes this an area the team is sure to address, with young talents such as Cortland Finnegan (Tennessee), Tracy Porter (New Orleans) and William Middleton (Jacksonville) available.

Linebacker

The Bucs are looking to replace WLB Geno Hayes, but can't forget that SLB Quincy Black was a disappointment last season or that Mason Foster played only adequately as a rookie manning the middle. The Bucs believe Foster has plenty of upside and versatility, so might move him to weakside linebacker and add a middle linebacker such as Stephen Tulloch (Detroit) or David Hawthorne (Seattle). There are a couple of ways the Bucs can go here, including adding a weakside linebacker such as Erin Henderson (Minnesota) and leaving Foster in the middle, but this is a spot the Bucs are likely to address before the draft.

Wide receiver

The Bucs like their collection of young receivers, but don't have a legitimate vertical threat with the ability to stretch a defense and offer the offense a big-play option. The Bucs have the cash and the need to make a run at Vincent Jackson, the prize of the free-agent wide receiver crop from San Diego. Other options include Marques Colston (New Orleans), Pierre Garcon (Indianapolis) and Laurent Robinson (Dallas).

Running back

The Bucs haven't soured on LeGarrette Blount, but they need someone better than Kregg Lumpkin to serve as their third-down back and they could use a capable reserve to replace Blount, just in case. The best of a thin group may be Michael Bush (Oakland), but the better fit for the Bucs may be Mike Tolbert (San Diego). Tolbert is a power runner, just like Blount, who has excellent pass-catching skills. In other words, he could fill all the Bucs needs at this spot all by himself.

Tight end

Kellen Winslow and Luke Stocker failed to play at the level the Bucs expected them to last year and the team lacks a legitimate blocking option here. The talent at this spot is rather thin, but the Bucs could upgrade themselves and even get a discount by targeting Martellus Bennett (Dallas). He's DE Michael Bennett's brother and tight end on the rise, according to a lot of scouts.

Bucs free agents

Unrestricted

Players are free to negotiate with any team.

CB Ronde Barber

LB Geno Hayes

S Sean Jones

RB Earnest Graham

RB Kregg Lumpkin

QB Josh Johnson

WR Micheal Spurlock

CB Elbert Mack

OT James Lee

S Corey Lynch

DT Frank Okam

Restricted

Bucs retain right to match any offer from rival team

DE Michael Bennett

Exclusive rights

Bucs hold exclusive negotiating rights

RB LeGarrette Blount

WR Preston Parker
Gold: 0.00
Mar 13 2012 05:58am
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/bucs-center-jeff-faine-likely-be-released

Bucs center Jeff Faine likely to be released
Veteran center Jeff Faine, one of the Bucs' most respected locker-room leaders, is likely to be released, perhaps before the start of the NFL's 2012 league year at 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Faine, who was acquired by the Bucs when they gave him a six-year, $37 million contract before the 2008 season, turns 31 next month and is scheduled to earn nearly $6 million in base salary this fall with a salary-cap number approaching $8 million. The Bucs' decision to sign Jeremy Zuttah to a contract extension last week makes Faine expendable because the Bucs have long viewed Zuttah as a future center and have plans to play him there in 2012.

It's unclear what will become of Zuttah's left guard position under that scenario, but the Bucs appear determined to move forward without Faine. His departure would be a blow in the locker room, where he is one of only a handful of vocal veterans on the youngest team in the league.

On the field, Faine has been steady but has been prone to injury. He's missed 13 games in the past three seasons, though just one in 2011. In 2010, Faine missed eight games with various injuries. Faine turns 31 next month.

Zuttah is considered a good option at center not only because of his youth (he's 25), but also because he's viewed as an athletic and powerful lineman who can hold down the position for years to come. Zuttah played for the Bucs' new coach, Greg Schiano, at Rutgers University.

Sucks i lik Faine but they guy can't stay healthy so I say good riddance hopefully Zuttah will be good enough to man the posiion :).
The Bucs have not given any official word on this story.
Mar 13 2012 06:13am
I hate the can't stay healthy - good riddance clause because that could happen to Gerald McCoy, who i think is the future of our Defence - the foundation.

Hope we can get someone in who compliments Zuttah, maybe James Lee? (unless im mistakeN)
Gold: 3.60
Mar 13 2012 07:25am
Is Jeff Faine any good and can he legally chop block and be effective in a zone run-blocking scheme? We'll be shopping the bargin binge for a new center if we lose pro bowler Chris Myers. Already lost a good Right Tackle in Wnston. Going to gut the offensive line just to re-sign Super Mario, LOL
Gold: 1,250.00
Mar 13 2012 07:30am
Quote (Madmartigan @ Mar 13 2012 09:25am)
Is Jeff Faine any good and can he legally chop block and be effective in a zone run-blocking scheme? We'll be shopping the bargin binge for a new center if we lose pro bowler Chris Myers. Already lost a good Right Tackle in Wnston. Going to gut the offensive line just to re-sign Super Mario, LOL

Better hope they do, cuz at 4:00 a bunch of people with cap space are going to want to sign super mario, the bears are in the lead I heard this morning.
Gold: 3.60
Mar 13 2012 07:54am
Quote (clawcool @ Mar 13 2012 07:30am)
Better hope they do, cuz at 4:00 a bunch of people with cap space are going to want to sign super mario, the bears are in the lead I heard this morning.

Mario has been one of my favorite players since 2006. Yep, I know that the Bears, Falcons and Chargers can make him the highest-paid defensive player in NFL History. Which is why the Texans have to keep working hard today to clear enough cap space to even make a competitive offer. I hear they may release DeMeco Ryans and Jacoby Jones later today. I mean damn, Winston and DeMeco were two good players for us but oh well...
Mar 13 2012 07:58am
Quote (Madmartigan @ Mar 13 2012 06:54am)
Mario has been one of my favorite players since 2006. Yep, I know that the Bears, Falcons and Chargers can make him the highest-paid defensive player in NFL History. Which is why the Texans have to keep working hard today to clear enough cap space to even make a competitive offer. I hear they may release DeMeco Ryans and Jacoby Jones later today. I mean damn, Winston and DeMeco were two good players for us but oh well...

Wow... DeMeco may get released?? I can see Jacoby going but DeMeco thats crazy.. As for Jeff Faine yea hes pretty good center when hes healthy, I noticed last year his production dropped a bit as far as pass blocking but for the Run he excels pretty good im sure he could run a zone scheme and do well. Also Scott Wells of the Packers is going to be there too so he may be a better fit I know hes a bit long in the tooth as well tho.
Mar 13 2012 07:59am
Defensive Backs are our priority - we have depth and talent on the front four, it's the back 7 we gotta drastically improve.

And I'd much rather have an RG to protect Freeman.

Oh - and Vjax
Mar 13 2012 08:25am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Mar 13 2012 06:59am)
Defensive Backs are our priority - we have depth and talent on the front four, it's the back 7 we gotta drastically improve.

And I'd much rather have an RG to protect Freeman.

Oh - and Vjax

we already have a great RG that is if your referring to right guard :). Davin Joseph, What we need is a upgrade at right tackle and a starting left guard if Zuttah moves to center and we get rid of Faine we have no Left Guard besides Ted Larsen and he is jst depth at most. Maybe they will address the LG position in te FA or the later rounds of the draft.

Yea it looks like we are going to pursue V. Jax. Im not quite sold on him but he will bring a new elemnt that we don't have if we pick him up, and the luck that we have had signing FA wr's lol just doesn't make me feel so good about us pursuing him especially with the money that he is asking.
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
123296Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll