d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > Mrpink's Pvp Zealot Guide V.3.0. > Strictly Melee
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Jul 27 2005 12:18pm
Pink's PvP Zealot Guide. v.3.0.

Hi I'm Brian, and I love Paladins, especially melee ones (Zealots). This is a guide version 3.0 (due to requests) for a Player vs Player(PvP), that will also work well Player vs Monster (PvM) Strictly Melee Paladin that specilizes in the Combat Skill Zeal.

BREAKPOINTS:

FHR Breakpoints:
Regarless of your Gear choice, these are the FHR breakpoints for any paladin.
6 Frames: 27% <- Everyone will hit this with CoA Alone.
5 Frames: 48% <- i have this (30%:CoA, 20%:Temps, 10%:Verdungoes)
4 Frames: 86% <- not necessary

I use 48%, as I feel it is all that is necessary in melee combat dueling. Since Zeal is uniterruptable, the split second interval between zeals, where you do not perform a block, is the only time you could go into Hit Recovery Animation.

Zeal IAS Breakpoints:
Only 1 listed, because if your slower, you wont win. You need a 4 frame zeal. This guide contains all base [0] speed weapons, but others do exist.
Base [0] Speed Weapon: 60% (Beserker Axe)
Base [5] Speed Weapon: 75% (Ettin Axe, Devil Star)
Base [-30] Speed Weapon: 30% (Phase Blade)

SKILLS
The Skills for any Zealot should be the same, it is just a matter of preference which you prefer to max out first. The build will be complete at level 96. I am maxing my skills in this order, I am currently level 92, and in progress to 96.

Zeal (maxed 1st)
Fanatacism (maxed 2nd)
Holy Shield (maxed 3rd)
Defiance (maxed 4th)
Sacrifice (maxed at 96)

Note:You might want to put about 7-12 in sacrifice before you max Defiance for the Holy Shield Defense Synergy, for some of that damage output prior to reaching 96.

Note 2:Blessed Aim is a passive synergy to your attack rating. It provides a 5% Bonus to Attack Rating, per level invested. At higher levels this is about 300 AR per level you put in it.

THE GEAR OPTIONS:

TEMPLAR MIGHT SETUP:
Weapon:Best % BoTd Zerk Axe you can afford
Armor: +2 Ethereal Zod'd Templar's Might 2700+ Defense
Shield: 1K+ defense ED%/AR Ethereal Exile Vortex Shield
Helm: Crown Of Ages (15% BASE DR, berber'd - for a total of 31% DR)
Rings: 2x 230+/20dex ravenfrosts
Amulet: Highlords Wrath
Gloves: 50+% ED/20 STR/high defense Steelrends
Boots: Upgraded Gore Riders (Myrmidon Greaves)
Belt: 15% Damage Reduce Verdungos Hearty Cord/High Defense (as with all Verdungos, high defense is more important than perfect replenish and vitality)

Note: For Baal runs, I use a Chains of Honor Archon Plate and Construction Grip (Duped Ring) for resists and more Life Leech. This Gives me 75% Resist lightning for those pesky Black Souls.

Armor Note: I have a Ethereal Sacred Stone in my stash with 3k+ Defense that I use as well. I find it helps vs barbs - giving me more defense that is lost when I have to use HoZ and not exile.

TEMPLAR'S MIGHT SETUP BASE STATS:
Strength: 152 with 20 str rends, and 20 stat anni
Dexterity: 210-215
Vitality: The rest you have that wasnt spent on dex/str
Energy: Absolutely none.

DEX NOTE:(No, this is not what you need to achieve 75% block. It is much more. Don't question this. You want high dex base for a better AR. You have to hit to win.)

ETH VALOR SETUP:
Armor: +2 Ethereal Zod'd 165%+ Arkaine's Valor (or Glitch Ber Valor)
Belt: 15% Damage Reduce Verdungos Hearty Cord/High Defense

ETH VALOR SETUP BASE STATS:
Strength: 135 with a 20 stat anni to meet the 185 str req for steelrends.

Valor Setup NOTE:This will grant you about 300 more life than the Eth Temps setup, as well as some more AR, but 6-7k less Defense.

GLADIATOR'S BANE SETUP:
Armor: Best % Ethereal Gladiator's Bane "BER"
Rings: 2x Angelic Set Rings
Amulet: Angelic Set Amulet

GLADIATOR'S BANE STATS:
Strength: 135 with a 20 stat anni to meet the 185 str req for steelrends.
Dexterity: 150-175

GBane Setup NOTE:This is the cheapest of the builds to make, and it can be quite effective. The high durability on the Gbane (120/120) allows you to place a BER Rune in it to achieve maximum DR%. The durability will gradually go down, but it is quite slow, so you have some time before you have to zod it. The use of angelics grants my build 23k with this gear, and 48k defense, and 7.8k damage.

GBane Setup NOTE 2: A weapon alternative for the richer players to test out, is to use an eth DC with 20% ias gloves. I use this setup sometimes, and it works very well against templars, valor, and cara barbs, and it is kinda fun smile.gif

CC LEVIATHAN SETUP:(Also known as Cookie Cutter)
Weapon:Best % Ethereal Zod'd Death Cleaver you can get
Armor: Leviathan 1650+Defense "CHAM'd"
Helm: Crown Of Ages (80% Enhanced Damage, 30% IAS. Socket: 2x 40%ED-15IAS jewels)
Rings: 2x Angelic Set Rings
Amulet: Angelic Set Amulet

COOKIE CUTTER SETUP BASE STATS:
Strength: 134 with a 20 stat anni to meet the 174 str req for Leviathan****
Dexterity: 175-185

****NOTE****:HoZ is used to gain an additional 20 strength, in addition to the 20 from annihilus to equip your Leviathan Armor, allowing you to equip the rest of your gear. A FAL Rune may be placed in the HOZ, allowing for 10 less base strength.

CC Setup NOTE:
The Damage Reduced % (DR%) should be 50%, from a combination of Leviathan, Verdungoes, and Crown of Ages (all have ranging % stats). Your attack Rating will be massive for this build. Expect 20K-23K. This along with the -33% Defense modifier on ETH DC is what makes this build so scary.

CC Setup NOTE 2: This Setup can be used with a BOTD zerk if you cannot afford an ETH DC. I have tried it, and it fairs well, but i still prefer my eth Temps.

CC Setup Option #2:Another option is to run crafted blood gloves with 20 Increased Attack Speed (IAS), and use a BER BER CoA with an Eth Armor, such as Glitched CHAM'd valor. This gives you the slice and dice of the ETH DC, along with the defense of valor, and the Massive AR from angelics. This is not as consistent as the other options, but when it is hot, it is unstoppable.

ETHEREAL HEAVEN'S LIGHTSETUP:
Weapon: Best % Ethereal Heavens Light +3 "ZodLo"
Armor #1 Option: Leviathan 1650+Defense "CHAM'd"
Armor #2 Option: Ethereal Valor
Helm #1 Option: Crown Of Ages (80% Enhanced Damage, 30% IAS. Socket: 2x 40%ED-15IAS jewels)
Helm #2 Option: Crown Of Ages (15% BASE DR, berber'd - for a total of 31% DR)
Rings #1 Option: 2x Angelic Set Rings
Rings #2 Option: 2x 230+/20dex ravenfrosts
Amulet #1 Option: Angelic Set Amulet
Amulet #2 Option: Highlords Wrath
Gloves: 20% IAS Gloves with some mods: STR/DEX/Nice Defense/5% AR Bonus/Life/Crushing Blow

HEAVENS LIGHT SETUP BASE STATS:

****NOTE****:HoZ is used to gain an additional 20 strength, in addition to the 20 from annihilus to equip your Leviathan Armor, allowing you to equip the rest of your gear. A FAL Rune may be placed in the HOZ, allowing for 10 less base strength.

Ethereal Heavens Light Setup NOTE: This Setup works in either Leviathan or Valor Mode. I prefer to use it in valor mode for more defense, and more deadly strike. The AR is still fairly good in valor mode beacuse of the heaven's light +3 skills. I had 18k AR with valor and heavens light, which is about as high as it gets without angelics or compromising other statistics.

Ethereal Heavens Light Setup NOTE 2:The Damage Reduced % (DR%) should be 50%, from a combination of Leviathan, Verdungoes, and Crown of Ages (all have ranging % stats). Your attack Rating will be massive for this build. Expect 22K-24K. This along with the -33% Defense modifier on Ethereal Heavens Light Setup makes this build scary, just like the cookie cutter setup. Heavens light has nicer minimum damage.

ETHEREAL RUNE MASTER NOTE: This weapon can be used in this build in place of a heavens's light. The Runemaster requires 85% IAS to reach a 4 fpa zeal. I suggest socketing the axe with "ZodLoLo" and 2x 40%ED-15%IAS jewels. The "Cannot be Frozen" mod on the axe allows the use of angelic rings and amulet and a 40%ED-15%IAS jewel in the leviathan. IAS Gloves and and 80-30 coa are used to round it out.

ETHEREAL REDEEMER SETUP:
Weapon :Best % Ethereal Redeemer "Zod"
Armor: Leviathan 1650+Defense "40%ED-15IAS jewel'd
Helm: Crown Of Ages (80% Enhanced Damage, 30% IAS. Socket: 2x 40%ED-15IAS jewels)

ETHEREAL REDEEMER BASE STATS:
Dexterity: 215-225

Ethereal Redeemer Setup NOTE :The Damage Reduced % (DR%) should be 50%, from a combination of Leviathan, Verdungoes, and Crown of Ages (all have ranging % stats). Your attack rating will be slightly lowered, but the -33% defense and the massive damage from the redeemer from the +damage on the weapon help offset the lower AR.

FOOLS MOD WEAPONS:
The "fools" mod is a mod on a weapon that adds max damage and attack rating based upon character level. The attack rating bonus is the same as 1 angelic ring, and the max damage is 1/2 the level of the character, so these are HUGE bonuses. If the right find occurs, these things can be the best weapons around. The optimal fools weapon would be an ethereal 350%+ED Beserker Axe with either 2 sockets or automatically repairs durability and 40% IAS. This thing could be used in place of any weapon, in any build, and grant massive AR and some deadly strike with a Lo Rune. Of course, this type of weapon can be RIDICULOUSLY expensive, I have seen nice eth phase blades go for over 200x, and an eth zerk similar to the one I described go for more than a glitched valor.

LADDER OPTIONS:
With the start of the season 2 ladder came many new runewords. Out of them, a few options should be noted. But then again, in elite melee dueling groups such as palapk or palapk nation, none of them will be allowed. All of the new runewords have too much elemental damage, a % chance to cast a spell, or poison damage, all of which are considered BM (bad mannered). Regardless, they are cool ideas to explore, and could be fun to go pubbing with. Who knows, maybe GM/BM melee rules will be changed when ladder seaon 2 ends.

Armor: Fortitude: this thing has 300% enhanced damage, massive life, and decent defense need I say more? A % chance to cast Level 15 Chilling Armor when Struck is BM.....GOSH BLIZZARD WTF!

Weapon Grief Beserker Axe: With even a low roll, this weapon does much more damage than a botd zerk. slightly lower max, but a 400+ min damage is insanity. Now a beserker axe needs 60% ias in total, so many options exist. It could be used in place of the eth heavens in one of the two setups listed, or it could be used in place of the eth DC in the cookie cutter setup. But it has % chance to cast venom, and poison damage is considered BM by most legit melee players ;/~

Weapon Last Wish Beserker Axe:This is a tempting looking weapon just beacuse of the might aura, massive %ED and life tap, but %chance to cast a level 20 charged bolt.... BM.

Weapon Oath Beserker Axe:This just isnt even as good as BoTD BA, so it isn't worth mentioning really. and once again, % chance to cast level 20 bone spirit ;/~

Shield Phoenix Vortex: With a base % ed/ar shield, this thing has the potential to really boost your damage, but lets see what you lose without exile.... lifetap, defiance, the ability to use an ethereal shield. Those alone don't make me want to use this for the damage boost. What good is a ton of damage if you lose 20k defense and get hit 24/7 ? A % chance to cast level 20 firestorm...zzz...BM.

Weapon Death Beserker Axe:This is my favorite of the new weapon runewords. I am a sucker for deadly strike, what can I say. Massive deadly strike, nice %ED, and the ability to make in an ethereal weapon are all gravy. A % chance to cast 18 Glacial Spike On Attack makes it BM, just like the rest of the ladder season two runewords, but these mods are so sexy. a 20% Bonus to attack rating is the icing on the cake ;/ The only drawback is this thing would require a hefty amount of IAS, but could be used in the ethereal redeemer setup. I would much rather be using this thing on a WW barb.

WEAPON SWITCH:
Regardless of your gear choice, any Zealot build will want to use a +6 Battle orders Call To Arms and a Herald Of Zakarum Shield (used for Holy Shield Buff)
The Higher the Defense HOZ, the better.

CHARMS:
Regardless of your Gear Choice, all charms for any good Zealot are the same:
-1x 20 stat annihilus unique small charm
-full inventory assortment of 32020s, MAX/Ar/Life legits, AR/Life grands, MAX/AR/DEX charms, AR/Life smalls
-(if you can afford to use 39x 32020s, that is optimal)

Charm NOTE: I prefer to use a few Steel Charms of Vita (AR/Life) for a boost in my attack rating to get it over 16k

STRATEGY:
1. You are melee.
2. You say go above your head, wait for your opponent to do the same
3. WALK! do not run! toward each other, and hold left click zeal on their name with the Fanatacism Aura on.
4. You do not, under any circumstances: pot, run, or cry.
5. Hope for the best.

Dueling against melee Concentrate Barbarians
Since it is Bad Mannered (BM) to use Exile vs barbs in melee duels, you can use Ethereal Herald of Zakarum (kept on weapon switch anyways for Holy Shield buff), or my personal favorite, etheral alma negra. The Alma Negra gives a nice %AR Bonus, providing the necessary criteria to hit those high defense conc barbs. A good alma has more defense than a perfect eth hoz. The lack of exile for the defiance aura vs Barbarians means that you want to beef up your defense somehow, this is where using eth shields comes in handy. The Alma Negra has 36 durability, and mine has a 40%ED-15%IAS jewel in it, although I am thinking of switching to "PUL". My HoZ is ethereal and is "PUL", I just use this in pub duels, while I save the alma negra for tournaments.

MY PALADIN: POLOMARCO:

At level 94, using the Eth Valor Setup, with a few steel small charms of vita (AR/Life) and the rest fine small charms of vita (32020s)

Damage: 2.3k-8.3k Zeal
Attack Rating: 17.1k
Defense: 50.1k
Life: 2860

At level 94, using the Cookie Cutter Setup, with a few steel small charms of vita (AR/Life) and the rest fine small charms of vita (32020s)
Damage: 1.7k-6.6k Zeal
Attack Rating: 23.1k
Defense: 42.8k
Life: 2900

Any Questions, comments, or concerns are greatly appreciated.

Guide History:
v.1.0: Botd Build Using Eth temps/Eth Valor. Basic Gear suggestions/stats
v.2.0: Added Eth DC Section/Different Gear options/stats approaches.
v.3.0: Added Weaons Eth Heavens, Eth Deemer, Gladiatro's Bane, more notes added, Ladder runewords discussed.

This post was edited by mrpink on Jul 27 2005 12:19pm
Gold: 3.35
Jul 27 2005 01:17pm
nice guide happy.gif , didn't kno it bm to use exile vs baba dry.gif lol
Jul 27 2005 06:24pm
QUOTE (asdfdf @ Jul 27 2005, 03:17 PM)
nice guide happy.gif , didn't kno it bm to use exile vs baba dry.gif lol

Thanks.

I need to make an edit. the Breakpoint for ettin axe and devil star is 85%, not 75%.
Gold: 1.95
Jul 28 2005 10:45am
great guide ... its on par with stoutwood zealer guide ( if you don't know i'll pm a link for you )

just wondering you give lots of alternatives about all gear except sheild
exile/ehoz are the only option i would like too you incoparte other sheilds in next version ( if there is one ) alma negra/SS and the helm is coa only.... guils/shako/rare

i do understand east zealers are very different from west duelers ... on west i cant' even think of any good exile zealers we just can't build them to compete with the current zeal class. Imma try 1 of your exile setups though

Great Guide ^_________^ <3
Jul 28 2005 12:38pm
QUOTE (L0ve @ Jul 28 2005, 12:45 PM)
great guide ... its on par with stoutwood zealer guide ( if you don't know i'll pm a link for you )

just wondering you give lots of alternatives about all gear except sheild
exile/ehoz are the only option i would like too you incoparte other sheilds in next version ( if there is one ) alma negra/SS and the helm is coa only.... guils/shako/rare

i do understand east zealers are very different from west duelers ... on west i cant' even think of any good exile zealers we just can't build them to compete with the current zeal class. Imma try 1 of your exile setups though

Great Guide ^_________^ <3

I mentioned the use of eth alma under the barbarian section.

For zealot vs zealot, there is no other option besides exile. It provides the most defense. The only reason you would not use it would be in temple duels, where lifetap is considered bad mannered. Temple died a long time ago on east though ;/
Gold: 1.95
Jul 28 2005 01:03pm
i see you can spot temple member ^________^ oh yea didn't die in like .08 ?

is it zealpk, i was on east for a bit in .08/.09

i'm going to pm you some math a friend did, were same exact setup using hoz/exile only had difference of 4% chacne to hit. 30k def/50k def

when i get home, and remember.

This post was edited by L0ve on Jul 28 2005 01:05pm
Aug 2 2005 06:56am
;/
Aug 4 2005 09:49am
UP TOP!