d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Graphic Design > Signature Design Class - Week 3 > Criticism And Advanced Learning
12311Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 55.80
Warn: 10%
Sep 12 2011 03:54pm
Week 1 - http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=57277290&f=105&o=0
  • Outcomes: 25
  • Retries after cnc: 11
Week 2 - http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=57400186&f=105&o=0
  • Outcomes: 22
  • Retries after cnc: 11
This week I'm gonna talk about CNC (comments and criticism) because its not only important to helping others, but if you know how to critically think about a work of art (in this case tagging) it will help you in your own pieces

The following is some stuff I found that I feel is a good way to go about criticizing art. Some teachers will explain it better, I've had one who explained it like an idiot, but this is pretty accurate stuff.

Art Criticism
Analyze: Mentally separate the parts or elements, thinking in terms of textures, shapes/forms, light/dark or bright/dull colors, types of lines, and sensory qualities. In this step consider the most significant art principles that were used in the artwork. Describe how the artist used them to organize the elements. Suggested questions to help with analysis:
1. How has the artist used colors in the work(s)?
2. What sort of effect do the colors have on the artwork?
3. How as the artist used shapes within the work of art?
4. How have lines been used in the work(s)? Has the artist used them as an important or dominant part of the work, or do they play a different roll?
5. What role does texture play in the work(s)? Has the artist used the illusion of texture or has the artist used actual texture? How has texture been used within the work(s).
6. How has the artist used light in the work(s)? Is there the illusion of a scene with lights and shadows, or does the artist use light and dark values in a more abstracted way?
7. How has the overall visual effect or mood of the work(s)? been achieved by the use of elements of art and principles of design.

Interpretation: An interpretation seeks to explain the meaning of the work based on what you have learned so far about the artwork, what do you think the artist was trying to say?
1. What was the artist’s statement in this work?
2. What do you think it means?
3. What does it mean to you?
4. What feelings do you have when looking at this artwork?
5. Do you think there are things in the artwork that represent other things-symbols?
6. Why do you think that the artist chose to work in this manner and made these kinds of artistic decisions?
7. Why did the artist create this artwork?

Judgment: After careful observation, analysis, and interpretation of an artwork, you are ready to make your own judgment. This is your personal evaluation based on the understandings of the work(s). Here are questions you might consider:
1. Why do you think that this work has intrinsic value or worth? What is the value that you find in the work(s)? (For example, it is a beautiful work of art, conveys an important social message, affects the way that I see the world, makes insightful connections, reaffirms a religious belief, etc.)
2. Do you think that the work(s) has a benefit for others? Do you find that the work communicates an idea, feeling or principle that would have value for others?
3. Rather than seeing the work as being very effective or without total value, does the work fall somewhere in-between? Do you think that the work is just o.k.? What do you base this opinion on? The use of elements of art? Lack of personal expression? The work lacks a major focus? Explore your criticism of the work (s) as much as you would any positive perceptions. Realize that your own tastes and prejudices

tl;dr?
If you don't have to patience or the intelligence to read through and understand the above stuff, then in short I want you guys to start thinking about tags as more than just "oh it looks cool" and be able to criticize tags based on the elements of design (flow, color, depth, lighting, etc).
Also I want you to take note of your own taste. There have been pieces I don't particularly like but if the quality of work is good than I can try to give an honest criticism instead of disagreeing with the choices.
Bad cnc: "I dont like the flow OR The colors are bad fix it!" Better cnc: "The flow is conflicting with the render, try to work on that OR The colors of the effects dont work with the render, try looking at some color schemes and changing it around"

Advanced Learning
So far you have only been learning from long form tutorials with written step by step instructions. These are good and all, but theres a much larger selection of LRO PSD (learning rights only, in case you forgot) that can be taken apart and learned from.
This week I'm going to ask you to attempt to do this because if you can learn like this it is a much faster and a very strong way to learn techniques.

Assignment
step 1. if you haven't already make a planetrenders forum account, go make one.
step 2. go to the free resources - psd subforum
step 3. download one of the packs from http://planetrenders.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=230721
OR if you really dont like any of those then you can pick a different one from the section
step 4. grab a psd, open it up in PS and look through it and try to learn what happened
step 5. post the result and the psd you based it off of

Try to avoid picking an easy one you can probably already do because you won't learn as much if anything, instead try to go for a harder looking one. If you have any questions about which are good feel free to ask me if one is a good example
This will involve more thinking than the last two weeks and more time to learn the stuff, don't give up after 1 attempt or a few minutes. You will only get better if you put in the time

IMPORTANT! I will say it again for the third week, NO RIPPING. Layer ripping especially this week because it is not uncommon that people want to cheat and take layers from LR PSDs, this is still ripping so don't even think of doing it.

This post was edited by TheReborn_Magi on Sep 12 2011 04:09pm
Gold: 3,935.00
Sep 12 2011 04:05pm
i love you for doing this.
brb studying psds.

also that link doesnt work.

This post was edited by AF_Mitch_07 on Sep 12 2011 04:32pm
Gold: 63.69
Sep 12 2011 04:23pm
Fuuuuu, can't open rar's on Mac.
RAGE

E: Also thank you for this weeks assignment
:O

This post was edited by OMGWTFUX on Sep 12 2011 04:23pm
Sep 12 2011 04:30pm
Quote (OMGWTFUX @ Sep 12 2011 06:23pm)
RAGE

you cant? i could have sworn i saw my professor open up a rar in class lol, do you have the right program to do it?
Gold: 47.10
Sep 12 2011 04:31pm
Quote (OMGWTFUX @ Sep 12 2011 06:23pm)
RAGE

http://www.win-rar.com/index.php?id=downloadnow

This post was edited by TerrapinStation on Sep 12 2011 04:31pm
Sep 12 2011 04:32pm
Quote (TheReborn_Magi @ Sep 12 2011 10:30pm)
you cant? i could have sworn i saw my professor open up a rar in class lol, do you have the right program to do it?

Ya I need to go download a Rar program. Mac for some reason didn't like the whole rar concept I guess.
Ugh, help there's afew psd's I've had book marked for awhile that I've wanted to download but have been in rar's so now the best time to go download it I suppose.
Sep 12 2011 04:32pm
ah well then, if the link isnt working then go ahead and just try to find a good one you like from the subforum, theres tons of great ones, so avoid the simple basic ones
Sep 12 2011 04:36pm
I thought I'd share this one I've had book marked for quite some time.
I've always loved this guys tags, like..always..

http://platinification.deviantart.com/art/Platina-PSD-Pack-1-Read-DES-255996761?q=gallery%3Aplatinification%2F31453462&qo=1

The skrillex one is probably my favorite.
Gold: 535.00
Sep 12 2011 05:03pm
Quote (OMGWTFUX @ Sep 13 2011 09:32am)
Ya I need to go download a Rar program. Mac for some reason didn't like the whole rar concept I guess.
Ugh, help there's afew psd's I've had book marked for awhile that I've wanted to download but have been in rar's so now the best time to go download it I suppose.

You need winrar, I don't think windows can open rar files by default either.
Gold: 3,935.00
Sep 12 2011 05:04pm
Quote (TheReborn_Magi @ Sep 12 2011 05:32pm)
ah well then, if the link isnt working then go ahead and just try to find a good one you like from the subforum, theres tons of great ones, so avoid the simple basic ones

nvm didnt work for me cause ididnt have 20 posts on the forums.
Go Back To Graphic Design Topic List
12311Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll