d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > LS Character Builds > Character Building - The Simple Way > A Walkthrough By Utunity
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 522.26
Jan 8 2011 04:14pm
Character Building
By Utunity

Some words

In this walkthrough I will teach you which items to buy if you are thinking economic and if you are planning on being able toplay all characters needed to reset ladder in the simplest way I believe there is.
This walkthrough will not teach you the basics of ladder slasher but how you can save a lot of forum gold by buying the right things from the start.

You will need to know that when I say you can save some forum gold it is still recommended to have at least a good amount of forum gold, at least 10000 if not more.

Important for newbies

Most new ladder slasher players are told to buy swords because you can use them on the first 3 characters,
but if you are looking in a long perspective you will need axes and daggers later on.
Now that you have bought your swords you have in most cases also bought strength gear.
This is not good, and I can easily show you why.
In your confusing first days on ladder slasher you curiously listened to other people telling you to buy stuff they needed you to wear for their own benefit
and then you are stuck with those crap items.
Here is a short little prediction.

You bought swords because they told you that they are comfortable with the first 3 characters which sound good but in a long perspective isn’t.
Because you bought swords you also bought strength gear for your swords.

Well you found out that you needed daggers and daggers need dexterity and later on you hated yourself.

You finally got your headhunter and are forced to buy axes. You now have both strength and dexterity gear.
You found out how stupid it is to have swords when you can do the job without them.
You found out how stupid you are again because you bought strength gear when you can do the job with dexterity gear.
Later on I will explain what items to buy and why.

You are maybe thinking I am forgetting about warlock but for warlock I can tell you this:

Warlock is a class which should only be used as caster/healer. For this class you should therefore try to get the best staffs and armors with intelligence,
some good charms with Enhanced effect and of course also some healing charms with enhanced effect(try to go for regular heal and focus heals.)

Real Info here.

Enough about wrong builds. Let me show you how I think you should build your characters and which characters you should use.

Here is a way i think you should buy items. This setup will give you the items needed and you will save a lot of forum gold and space for the items.

Melee

Start out by buying daggers and axes with as high percentage enhanced effect as you can get for each level (don’t buy tier 1 or tier 2, but tier 3 to start with).
Remember that for each tier/fifth level the effect of your item is decreased by around 20%.
So if you have a tier 3/lvl 0 dagger with 60% enhanced effect your tier 4/lvl 5 dagger should have over 40% enhanced effect.

Next you should go for robes with Dexterity. Get as high dexterity as you can get for each level, starting from tier 3.
Of course you should not buy a level 10 robe with 20 dexterity if you already have a level 5 robe with 18 dexterity or more.
Try to at least increase your dexterity by 4-5 every time you upgrade. You are buying robes because they can be used on any character in ladder slasher.

Next thing is searching for the exact same thing as in the robes but just for charms. If you are clever you only search for lightnings and wild heals.
Why? Because headhunter are only able to wear these two types and all other melee character are able to wear these types.

Now you may think why you should only go for dexterity?
Well as the last update came out strength has become more than useless if you are buying daggers and axes.
Daggers have a ratio of 90/10 (dexterity/Strength) and axes have a ratio of (50/50)
(this means that no matter what you stat, dexterity or strength) your axe performance will increase by the same and daggers are barely effected by strength.
Therefore – go dexterity.

The tanking in short
Most people will hate you now because you are in a group where there is no tank (The man taking all the damage. Aka. In front)
if you can effort it and you are willing to spend a little extra on items you should definitely buy some scales with as high enhanced effect as possible.
The same rules as for axes and daggers go here, so if you can’t remember them you should read them again.

That was the melee-side of the game, now for the casters.

Casters. (Mage, Warlock and Alchemist):

As I told you earlier casters should buy intelligence staffs and armors. (Armors should also be robes) Get some enhanced effect attack charms and Focused/ regular heals.

The first levels:

Lvl 0 and 5(possibly 10):

This is a little abstract but I will try to get you understand it.

Make sure you have at least two of these attributes in your weapon, armor and main charm: Intelligence, Max Mana, Mana Per Kill & Mana Per Attack.
It is important that you have a little amount of intelligence for your damage, and also a little amount of the other attributes that will make your mana almost infinite.
Your acc. Slot should have pure enhanced effect.

Look at this setup for an example:

Code
Angelic elm staff
Damage: 6 to 10

+15 Intelligence
+1% Mind Numb
+1% Parry
+1% Critical Flux

Mystical woolen padded robe
Physical Defense: 0 to 6
Magical Defense: 9 to 24

+193 Max Life
+21 Max Mana
+1 to 25 Mana per Kill

Arcane lightning III
Spell Damage: 4 to 49
Mana Cost: 21

+93 Max Life
+297 Max Mana
+1 Extra Equipment Slots
+1 to 20 Mana per Kill
+1% Damage Return
+3% Power Shot

Rare ice III
Spell Damage: 39 to 47
Mana Cost: 21

+59% Enhanced Effect
+1% Glancing Blow

Upgrade your gear if needed till you are level 10.

Lvl 10-55.

Now you should change your gear into pure intelligence for your staff and robe.
(Upgrade when possible of course and remember to not buy a new armor/staff it has less than 5 points than your current or are too similar to it)
Your main charm is opposite from before now your attack charm. Use your charms with enhanced effect now and till 71.
You will now begin to use your healing charm. Put them into your acc slot and heal when needed.
If you don’t heal you are going to be hated by the other in your party.

Example setup.

Code
Rare Runewood Staff
Level Req: 20
Damage: 49 to 87

+31 Intelligence
+2% Parry

Rare silk robe
Level Req: 15
Physical Defense: 0 to 8
Magical Defense: 24 to 73

+24 Intelligence
+106 Max Mana

Angelic ice VII
Spell Damage: 169 to 203
Mana Cost: 53

+138% Enhanced Effect
+1 Magic Luck
+1 to 2 Life per Attack
+1 to 5 Mana per Kill

Rare heal VII
Heals: 86 to 229
Mana Cost: 53

+101% Enhanced Effect
+1 Extra Equipment Slots

Misc info for casters.

Don’t drive. You will be in lvl 71 when the others are lvl 65 lol.

Choosing between feeder classes:

Choose Fighterif you like your axes better than your daggers.
Remember to stat only dexterity no matter what. Stay focused in the game.
If there are already 2 good melees and no tankers go get your tanking scales and show them what you got.

Choose Barbarianif you didn’t read any of this.

Choose Rougeif you feel confident by trying out your hybrid skills. The rouge has a lot of dexterity and a good potion of intelligence.

The Rouge as hybrid:
Put all your points into intelligence and keep it that way until you have 70-80 intelligence, then stat the rest into dexterity.
Use your daggers, dexterity robes and melee charms. Put your healings in your acc slot and help out the current healer if there may be another healer.
Remember you can also use your tanking armors here.

The rouge as melee:
Same as fighter, - stat dexterity. Now you have to switch between your axes and daggers. If you axe in your current level are better than your dagger use your axe.
The same for the opposite. The rouge has its benefits as you can see ;).

Choose Mage if you want to cast your way to 71. If you don’t know what casting is go look at how I think casters should be build.

Choose Guardianif.. never.

If you have your luck and you get through some doors you are going to get some new classes. Here is a list over all classes and how I think you should equip them.

The Samurai:
This class implements a lot from the fighter, but beware. This class cannot use axes, but luckily you have your daggers. Go get them, your dexterity robes and of course some melee charms.
The samurai can also wear scales so if you have no other tank go get your tanking scales.

The Paladin:

As hybrid:
Same as rouge. – but he can only use axes.

As melee:
Pure dexterity, use your axes and melee charms and of course in case, you can use your tanking scales.

The monk:
Same as rouge, but here you are not able to tank or use axes.

The ninja:
Same as monk, but I highly recommend going pure melee.

The warlock:
Go caster, same as mage

The headhunter:
The headhunter can only use axes so you are going to melee your way to 71.
Because of this class being a high class it has a lot of stat points, and those are put into strength and dexterity,
you should consider using your tanking armors if there are other good melees in your group.
If there are already a tanker who cannot switch to melee gear you can go crazy with your robes and kill those monsters amazingly easy.

The alchemist:
Go crazy with your casting gear. Unfortunately this class cannot use weapons, but as compensation here you have a lot of base intelligence. You should of course also wear a healing charm.

This was a simple walkthrough on how you can build your characters and which items you can buy.
Of course there are other ways of building your characters and planning your way to reset but in my opinion I think this is the best way.

If there are any mistakes please pm me :)

This post was edited by Utunity on Jan 8 2011 04:19pm
Gold: 1,201.66
Jan 8 2011 04:26pm
:cheers: excellent guide mate. Clearly defines a very effective way to set yourself up to play every class with ease :)

It may be expensive as hell, but no one ever said this game was cheap ^_^

I'm really glad you added the bit about tanking, because you are right many people would hate to see a robe wearing paladin in a group of monks and mages
Jan 8 2011 04:42pm
Quote (NevV @ 8 Jan 2011 23:26)
:cheers: excellent guide mate. Clearly defines a very effective way to set yourself up to play every class with ease :)

It may be expensive as hell, but no one ever said this game was cheap ^_^

I'm really glad you added the bit about tanking, because you are right many people would hate to see a robe wearing paladin in a group of monks and mages

Ty for your feedback :)

I like to see more tankers. And im not the best about tanking but im trying to get som right now ;)

And ty for donation to red bold btw :D
Gold: 91,680.73
Jan 8 2011 04:49pm
Very nice guide, although I respectfully disagree (of course!) on the sword part simply because I LOVE swords and I LOVE melee and I also enjoy the first three classes a lot. Barb/Fighter/Rogue, then Samurai, then Paladin. That's 5 classes that can use them (with the same gear, I might add) plus Ninja makes 6 if you can get that far. The only hurdle is MONK.

Then again, I know I probably have no hope of resetting the ladder, and I am ok with that. I play because it's fun and even Headhunter is unrealistic for me. I play anyways!

(Lucky for me though, I could probably borrow gear if that ever happened. Guilds are good. :love: )

Just because I disagree does not make either of us wrong. :)

I like it all in all, you are in depth enough to explain things but not too much where it feels like I am reading an Encyclopedia all at once.

The item examples are a nice touch too, that really will help show people what will work, even though there are a variety of options.

Nice job mate. :thumbsup:

This post was edited by jlhromeo on Jan 8 2011 04:53pm
Gold: 52,443.89
Jan 8 2011 04:56pm
A few things to consider about your guide:

First off is why is everything centered? Its kind of annoying to read. Titles of sections being centered is one thing, but its easier to read new lines when your eyes can automatically shift back to the the same spot on the left. It wasnt hard to read as it is, but maybe consider it and see which you like better.

Secondly, I do disagree with some things here, but mostly about how warlocks are casting only. If you think about it, buying EE staffs comes out waaaay cheaper in most cases than intel staffs(of equal stats) and warlocks can be very good at hybrid play. It would even go along with your buying dex only gear theory. Basically I think options are an ok thing, even if you list them as a 'second best way to play' kind of thing.

Third is be careful how you word some things, for instance the bolded part below is directly quoted from you. It says real info, then says your item decreases every 5 levels by 20%. The real truth is your items never decrease, ever(except patch day). I know what you were trying to say, but new players might not.

Real Info here.

Enough about wrong builds. Let me show you how I think you should build your characters and which characters you should use.

Here is a way i think you should buy items. This setup will give you the items needed and you will save a lot of forum gold and space for the items.

Melee

Start out by buying daggers and axes with as high percentage enhanced effect as you can get for each level (don’t buy tier 1 or tier 2, but tier 3 to start with).
Remember that for each tier/fifth level the effect of your item is decreased by around 20%.
So if you have a tier 3/lvl 0 dagger with 60% enhanced effect your tier 4/lvl 5 dagger should have over 40% enhanced effect.

On a positive note, I do like how its a fairly quick read for someone to consider when they first start seriously building sets of gear.

This post was edited by KakeWalk on Jan 8 2011 05:08pm
Jan 8 2011 06:24pm
Quote (KakeWalk @ 8 Jan 2011 23:56)
A few things to consider about your guide:

First off is why is everything centered? Its kind of annoying to read. Titles of sections being centered is one thing, but its easier to read new lines when your eyes can automatically shift back to the the same spot on the left. It wasnt hard to read as it is, but maybe consider it and see which you like better.

Secondly,I do disagree with some things here, but mostly about how warlocks are casting only. If you think about it, buying EE staffs comes out waaaay cheaper in most cases than intel staffs(of equal stats) and warlocks can be very good at hybrid play. It would even go along with your buying dex only gear theory. Basically I think options are an ok thing, even if you list them as a 'second best way to play' kind of thing.

Third is be careful how you word some things, for instance the bolded part below is directly quoted from you. It says real info, then says your item decreases every 5 levels by 20%. The real truth is your items never decrease, ever(except patch day). I know what you were trying to say, but new players might not.

On a positive note, I do like how its a fairly quick read for someone to consider when they first start seriously building sets of gear.

i see, I mean the Enhanced Effect :)
I can't really edit the post to non-center anymore unfortunately -.-

For your staff thing i only have one thing to say.
In this walkthrough I will teach you which items to buy if you are thinking economic and if you are planning on being able toplay all characters needed to reset ladder in the simplest way I believe there is.

ty for feedback tho :)

E:

I didn't say what i just bolded out. I just recommend it :) Sure you can also go hybrid, and you can also go pure healer. But imo it is the best way to cast only on the 3 intel-based chars and have a heal charm as acc charm :)

This post was edited by Utunity on Jan 8 2011 06:35pm
Gold: 0.20
Jan 8 2011 06:26pm
nice to see a thorough guide that's up to date.
a less expensive route would be to go ee armors (scales obviously) instead of stat armors (you'd want stat robes for monk/ninja however)
and ee swords/staves (swords for feeder/sammy/pally/ninja, staves for monk)
Jan 8 2011 06:39pm
Quote (Henchman21 @ 9 Jan 2011 01:26)
nice to see a thorough guide that's up to date.
a less expensive route would be to go ee armors (scales obviously) instead of stat armors (you'd want stat robes for monk/ninja however)
and ee swords/staves (swords for feeder/sammy/pally/ninja, staves for monk)

yes ofc it is. This guide could be more in depth but i point was to show people one way to build their characters from
feeder to alchemist :)

The guide needs to be rewritten a bit but for now you will have to live with this one ^^
Maybe I will go more in depth with other builds later on :)

Imo almost every guide here on jsp related to ladder slasher needs a rewrite so they are more up to date,
but that takes time and we need more people to help writing them.

as it is now we are waiting for a new patch so i doubt that there will be other guides before the patch is released, but
as soon as it comes out i will be ready to help out rewrite the current guides :)
Gold: 104.33
Jan 9 2011 08:21am
Well there are two options and both of them are good.

melee with swords on feeder, samurai, paladin, ninja / cast on monk, warlock, alchemist / play with axes on hh is an effective way and not a wrong one.

Does not mather what you will take in consideration becouse in the end you will still cast and melee.

At the moment both dex gear and str gear share the same value. Same goes for daggers / swords. At least on hardcore.

It's all based of what everyone desire.

My only point is that sword with strenght build is not a wrong one nor a very expensive one.

Jan 9 2011 09:45am
Quote (rusclaudiualin @ 9 Jan 2011 15:21)
Well there are two options and both of them are good.

melee with swords on feeder, samurai, paladin, ninja    /    cast on monk, warlock, alchemist  /  play with axes on hh is an effective way and not a wrong one.

Does not mather what you will take in consideration becouse in the end you will still cast and melee.

At the moment both dex gear and str gear share the same value. Same goes for daggers / swords. At least on hardcore.

It's all based of what everyone desire.

My only point is that sword with strenght build is not a wrong one nor a very expensive one.

I know :) This is still one way to do it..

I just know that you can avoid strength gear and have only dex gear if you want to
Go Back To LS Character Builds Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll