d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Baseball > Baltimore Orioles > Discussion, Love, Hate, Rage, Etc.
1231059Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 13.38
Warn: 100%
Nov 18 2010 03:24pm

This thread will be dedicated to all love, hate, rage, pity, in-game discussion, rumors, signings, trades, etc. related to the Baltimore Orioles.

Official Fan List
virtualMayhem
asdzx2
tuckerblair89
Gold: 203.69
Warn: 30%
Nov 18 2010 03:27pm
First
Gold: 545.84
Nov 18 2010 03:32pm
nice job buzzin.

Nov 18 2010 03:39pm
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/11/orioles_search_for_shortstop_t.html
Orioles' search for shortstop turns to Rays' Bartlett, Twins' Hardy

The Orioles haven't ruled out bringing back Cesar Izturis, but they are currently looking at other shortstop options, according to club sources.

They've had trade discussions with the Tampa Bay Rays about Jason Bartlett, and the Minnesota Twins about J.J. Hardy.

The talks with the Rays included discussion of a potential swap of Orioles reliever David Hernandez for Bartlett, who hit .254 with four homers and 47 RBIs in 2010, but is a career .281 hitter. However, that deal appears unlikely at this point as the Orioles consider other options.

Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail, who remains in Orlando, Fla. to attend the owner’s meetings after the general manager meetings ended yesterday, wouldn’t comment on specific players, but acknowledged that he met with several teams this week to discuss potential trades, along with the representatives of several free agents.

“We’ve had some productive discussions,” MacPhail said.

The Hernandez-for-Bartlett deal does make sense for both sides as the Rays are aggressively seeking affordable relievers as they could lose five members of their 2010 bullpen in free agency, including All-Star closer Rafael Soriano. Top setup man Joaquin Benoit has already signed with the Detroit Tigers.

While the Orioles love the defense and intangibles that Izturis brings, they are searching for a better two-way option at the position. Bartlett, who is expected to be replaced at shortstop by a younger and cheaper Reid Brignac, is just one year removed from a season in which he hit .320 with 14 homers and 66 RBIs and stole 30 bases.

However, Bartlett is eligible for free agency after the 2011 season, and he struggled offensively in 2010.

Meanwhile, there are some within the organization that feel Hernandez, 25, is too valuable to give up for a potential one-year rental, and could be the team's closer of the future.

Hernandez, one of the most asked about Orioles in trade discussions, went 8-8 with a 4.31 ERA in 41 appearances while serving in a variety of roles this past season. He started the season in the rotation, making eight starts, before ultimately settling in the bullpen and even serving as the team’s closer at one point, saving three games.

Like Bartlett, Hardy, 28, will be a free agent following the 2011 season. He batted .268 with six homers and 38 RBIs in 101 games for the Twins last season and is a career .263 hitters. His best season came in 2007 for the Milwaukee Brewers as he batted .277 with 26 homers and 80 RBIs. However, his numbers have dropped each season since and he’s struggled to stay off the disabled list the past two years.

It isn't presently known what the Twins are looking for from the Orioles in return for Hardy.

I'm torn on the situation. I think Hernandez can be a great closer but I understand that we shouldn't be making relievers untouchable. Bartlett only has one year under contract so I wouldn't give Hernandez up for one year of Bartlett because we probably won't be competing next season so it will be kind of a waste.
Nov 18 2010 03:40pm
Yea I agree that Hernandez is too go to give up for 1 year of Bartlett. It's a tough situation. If they took someone like Pat Egan or Brandon Erbe than I would be all about it (although I love Egan and think he is the real deal)
Gold: 73.71
Nov 18 2010 03:41pm
respect
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
Nov 18 2010 04:19pm
fan all my life
Gold: 2,250.00
Nov 18 2010 04:21pm
Naa Naa Naa Naaaaa
Nov 18 2010 09:17pm
Well, I think the O's are going to be signing a veteran FA pitcher this off season now that Britton has switched agents to Boras. They will likely wait until July to call him now because of service time.

The Orioles 2010 minor league pitcher of the year, Zach Britton, has become the latest player in the organization to be represented by agent Scott Boras.

About a month ago, Britton decided to switch from the Hendricks brothers to the Boras corporation.

"I was with Hendricks Sports and dealt with Matt Laird," Britton said. "He was great but I never really had contact with the Hendricks brothers myself, so I just never felt comfortable going forward with people I hadn't met. So I had a good opportunity to meet with Scott and came away very impressed."

Others in the O's organization represented by Boras are Matt Wieters, Jake Arrieta, Mike Gonzalez, Manny Machado, Josh Bell and Brandon Erbe.

Britton is spending part of his winter in California and is taking advantage now of the work out facilities provided to Boras clients as he looks to add a few pounds and a little strength for next year.

Speaking of adding things, the lefty that went 10-7, 2.70 between Bowie and Norfolk last season, will almost certainly be added to the O's 40-man roster by the deadline tomorrow night. Any player the O's don't add to that roster would be eligible to be taken in the upcoming Rule 5 draft.

"I think it would be awesome," Britton said about his likely addition to the 40-man. "For me, it would be another obstacle that would be out of the way. There are so many obstacles to get to the big leagues and being on the roster takes a big one away.

"I think it helps your chances to play in the big leagues the following season, whether it's starting the season there or coming up later. It's a big milestone in your career to get put on the roster and you feel that much closer to accomplishing what you want to."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2010/11/britton-joins-forces-with-boras.html
Nov 18 2010 09:19pm
damn that sucks. I really hope they dont sign garland or de la rosa.
Go Back To Baseball Topic List
1231059Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll