d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Christian Origins.
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 141,095.00
Oct 1 2010 08:00pm
Someone who knows a bid about christian origins, I would like to have a clarification in terms of the distinction between platonic ideas and christianity, as well as to what extend those ideas have been taken over into christianity and modified.

This post was edited by MyAccountIsOsterHues on Oct 1 2010 08:00pm
Gold: 0.00
Oct 3 2010 11:09pm
Christian philosophers (i.e. Augustine of Hippo AD 430) may have had their understandings influenced by outside sources, but the origins of Christianity are something completely different. What are you really implying by your question ? Do you ascribe to the belief that the ideas in the Bible are just borrowed myths from other cultures ?
Oct 6 2010 03:45am
Quote (Borbang @ Oct 4 2010 05:09am)
origins of Christianity are something completely different

some of the most recognized christians, themselves have stressed the similarity of platos philosophy and their own religion. Example philo of alexandria.

If I am not wrong platos ideas came before christianity.
For example one of the christians just mentioned agrees with plato that the material world is only a reflection of a higher non-material world.
Indeed many christians regard platonic ideas as being closest associated with truth.

Quote (Borbang @ Oct 4 2010 05:09am)
What are you really implying by your question ? Do you ascribe to the belief that the ideas in the Bible are just borrowed myths from other cultures ?

Are you implying that platonic ideas are myths? From this it follows that you believe christianity to be a myth as there are similarities between platonic ideas and christianity.

This post was edited by MyAccountIsOsterHues on Oct 6 2010 03:49am
Gold: 0.00
Oct 6 2010 10:56pm
What do you mean when you say"taken over into christianity and modified" . Are you saying that Christianity was invented in the minds of men, that it was constructed and those that shaped the christian belief were influenced by Plato? Do you believe that New Testament authors were not men writing of what they saw, but of a devised tale ?
Oct 8 2010 05:46pm
[QUOTE=Borbang,Oct 7 2010 04:56am]What do you mean when you say"taken over into christianity and modified" . Are you saying that Christianity was invented in the minds of men, that it was constructed and those that shaped the christian belief were influenced by Plato? Do you believe that New Testament authors were not men writing of what they saw, but of a devised tale ?[/QUOTE]

Here is what you said: Do you ascribe to the belief that the ideas in the Bible are just borrowed myths from other cultures

you are clearly referring to platonic ideas as myths.

There is no difference whether you call platonic ideas a myths or christianity. There's no reasoning you can take the one over the other.

You have called platonic ideas a myths. I have never called christianity a myths.

This is what I've said: "christians themselves have stressed the similarity of platos philosophy and their own religion."

This is how you interpreted it: "Are you saying that Christianity was invented in the minds of men, that it was constructed and those that shaped the christian belief were influenced by Plato? Do you believe that New Testament authors were not men writing of what they saw, but of a devised tale ? "

wowowow don't be so quick in how you interpret what I say.

Don't you think your interpretation sounds a lot worse then what I have actually said, indeed you have added your own reasonings to it arriving at conclusions I was never thinking about myself.

That's how I have started the thread: [QUOTE=MyAccountIsOsterHues,Oct 2 2010 02:00am]Someone who knows a bid about christian origins, I would like to have a clarification in terms of the distinction between platonic ideas and christianity, as well as to what extend those ideas have been taken over into christianity and modified.[/QUOTE]

this is how you have interpreted it:

[QUOTE=Borbang,Do you ascribe to the belief that the ideas in the Bible are just borrowed myths from other cultures ?[/QUOTE]

I was asking a question not making a statement.

This post was edited by MyAccountIsOsterHues on Oct 8 2010 05:52pm
Gold: 722.53
Warn: 10%
Oct 8 2010 08:23pm
Quote (MyAccountIsOsterHues @ Oct 2 2010 02:00am)
Someone who knows a bid about christian origins, I would like to have a clarification in terms of the distinction between platonic ideas and christianity, as well as to what extend those ideas have been taken over into christianity and modified.

Read up on Gnosticism, a form of early Christianity. Some Gnostics were also Neo-Platonists. Some believed that the world we live in is ultimately derived from higher, Aeonic forms, and that the Demiurge formed the world from the reflection of said aeonic forms. Additonally, they took the idea of Plato's Demiurge and formed their own idea of a imperfect half-maker also called the Demiurge.

I love Gnosticism.

This post was edited by AEtheric on Oct 8 2010 08:23pm
Oct 8 2010 11:08pm
Quote (AEtheric @ Oct 9 2010 02:23am)
Read up on Gnosticism, a form of early Christianity. Some Gnostics were also Neo-Platonists. Some believed that the world we live in is ultimately derived from higher, Aeonic forms, and that the Demiurge formed the world from the reflection of said aeonic forms. Additonally, they took the idea of Plato's Demiurge and formed their own idea of a imperfect half-maker also called the Demiurge.

I love Gnosticism.

y thats what I have been reading as well.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll