d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Archived Games > Heroes of Newerth > General Hon Chat
Prev1314031413142314331443161Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 90,654.00
May 6 2015 10:11am
Quote (Barn3y_Gumble @ 6 May 2015 15:25)
Whise worda spoken here, I totally agreee woth your Statement.
This is on of the reasons I am a Support Player, cuz noone Else wants to play Support lol.

And I also have a prepurchased Account, bought it back in the days where they said u have to pay Else no play.... Few days before payment Deadline they made it free again qhich is a joke... Anyhow, your account can be worth alot as a so called legacy account ;) I have nearly every skin which cant drop anymore, and gettimg offers of 800$ for My account^^

where do u sell that? i got old one that i wanna get rid of too
Gold: 0.00
May 6 2015 08:55pm
$30 was insane value for HoN. I had over 1000 matches played. The $30 fee was a great way to limit the amount of griefers and BRs.
Gold: 36,347.70
May 7 2015 07:13am
Quote (prickster @ May 7 2015 03:55am)
$30 was insane value for HoN. I had over 1000 matches played. The $30 fee was a great way to limit the amount of griefers and BRs.

It didn't limit anything as far as I saw. In fact, Dota1 and Dota2 communities were all better than HoN and both of those were always free to play. When people pay money for something they feel like they're entitled. You had so many people arguing over mid with the mentality of "I payed $30 for this game I'll play mid if I want".

Problem with HoN is that it actively encouraged griefers. Pay S2 some money and you get to make really obnoxious smackdowns on people with the gay announcer. Pay some more money and you can reset all your stats so you can smurf against low MMR noobs. Not to mention, all the moderation was done by 15 year old kids. I played with some mods before and they just banned anyone they didn't like, even if they did nothing wrong. Basically, the whole thing was a mess that encouraged people to be assholes.

What Dota2 does is it has an automated ban system. You use some offensive words in chat and 4-5 people report you? Muted. You feed a lot and 4-5 people report you? Low priority. Basically, if you're enough of a douche for both your team and the enemy team to report you, you probably deserve a ban. To prevent abuse, the system scans your stats / chat and sees if you actually were an asshole. It's a pretty nice system honestly, and there are way, way less griefers despite the game being F2P.
May 7 2015 08:24am
hon now has hidden stats in mmr which is pretty stupid cuz u can still view player profiles and see their stats
just makes it more annoying to click them all everytime
i for one really hate changes would prefer everything stayed the same gamplay wise interface wise no new heroes etc
May 8 2015 01:42am
Quote (EA7 @ May 7 2015 05:13am)
It didn't limit anything as far as I saw. In fact, Dota1 and Dota2 communities were all better than HoN and both of those were always free to play.

I don't agree with this at all.

All communities are equally shitty.

When HoN was in open beta there were a ton of griefers and BRs. When HoN required people to pay $30 there were less griefers and BRs. When HoN became F2P there were a ton of BRs. HoN was pretty decent until DotA2 became a thing. Then the game was clearly past its prime and DotA2 made it look like a turd in every facet except engine.

There was a sweet spot for HoN where it was the best game as DotA2 wasn't out yet and Shit2 games didn't try to nickle and dime people with skins and new heroes. That $30 was well worth it during that time period. Now, no, the game isn't worth $30.
May 8 2015 07:00am
Quote (prickster @ May 8 2015 08:42am)
I don't agree with this at all.

All communities are equally shitty.

When HoN was in open beta there were a ton of griefers and BRs. When HoN required people to pay $30 there were less griefers and BRs. When HoN became F2P there were a ton of BRs. HoN was pretty decent until DotA2 became a thing. Then the game was clearly past its prime and DotA2 made it look like a turd in every facet except engine.

There was a sweet spot for HoN where it was the best game as DotA2 wasn't out yet and Shit2 games didn't try to nickle and dime people with skins and new heroes. That $30 was well worth it during that time period. Now, no, the game isn't worth $30.

I agree, late beta / when the game first came out was a great period. I'm not really sure if there were less griefers, but the game was a lot of fun back then. However, I do remember the HoN community always being absolutely terrible.

Dota community isn't great but Valve have basically made it futile to grief / smurf / flame. If you do any of these things you either banned / your MMR adjusted to the correct level / muted. This results in most games just being people trying their best without flaming or trolling. You're going to get an asshole from time to time, but the thing is you sometimes get a game with a team where everyone cooperates, communicates, and picks a good lineup whereas in HoN that pretty much NEVER happened in pubs.
Gold: 164,697.50
May 8 2015 08:37am
Quote (EA7 @ 8 May 2015 14:00)
I agree, late beta / when the game first came out was a great period. I'm not really sure if there were less griefers, but the game was a lot of fun back then. However, I do remember the HoN community always being absolutely terrible.

Dota community isn't great but Valve have basically made it futile to grief / smurf / flame. If you do any of these things you either banned / your MMR adjusted to the correct level / muted. This results in most games just being people trying their best without flaming or trolling. You're going to get an asshole from time to time, but the thing is you sometimes get a game with a team where everyone cooperates, communicates, and picks a good lineup whereas in HoN that pretty much NEVER happened in pubs.

i dunno hon community was pretty okayish as far as a community in any game goes when the game was late beta - early release ( before MM was introduced ) if someone were grefing, beign a douche, were garbage at the game they would never be able to participate in a somewhat high skilled game ( since pretty much all games above 1800 rating were inhouse ) where you had to be either somewhat decent, be vouched for and so on,

it's really a shame s2 let icefrog go, and all their terrible decisions about everything, balance, marketing, soontour, and anything else they done,
the game engine, game mechanics and gameplay was and still is ( imo ) so soooooooo superior to dota2

imagine if s2 would've just bent over for icefrog, dota2 wouldnt exist hon would be ( pretty close to as big as dota2 currently is )
no retarded heroes like chutuluphant would even exist, it would've been dota 2 with a functioning game engine and game mechanics and awesome gameplay

oh well maybe with source2 dota2 will be somewhat better in gameplay/mechanics but i honestly doubt it
May 8 2015 08:44am
Quote (UndeadGad @ May 8 2015 03:37pm)
i dunno hon community was pretty okayish as far as a community in any game goes when the game was late beta - early release ( before MM was introduced ) if someone were grefing, beign a douche, were garbage at the game they would never be able to participate in a somewhat high skilled game ( since pretty much all games above 1800 rating were inhouse ) where you had to be either somewhat decent, be vouched for and so on,

it's really a shame s2 let icefrog go, and all their terrible decisions about everything, balance, marketing, soontour, and anything else they done,
the game engine, game mechanics and gameplay was and still is ( imo ) so soooooooo superior to dota2

imagine if s2 would've just bent over for icefrog, dota2 wouldnt exist hon would be ( pretty close to as big as dota2 currently is )
no retarded heroes like chutuluphant would even exist, it would've been dota 2 with a functioning game engine and game mechanics and awesome gameplay

oh well maybe with source2 dota2 will be somewhat better in gameplay/mechanics but i honestly doubt it

S2 made some terrible decisions, that's for sure. They always wanted to make a ton of money without investing anything, which just isn't the way it works. If they had paid Icefrog well and kept him on they would be really successful right now.

Dota2 engine definitely feels more clunky than HoN, but given that the game has better heroes, balance, community, competitive scene, etc. I'll gladly put up with it. In a way the game being a bit slower paced is nice since you have more time to plan your moves in teamfights. Still, I hope they'll upgrade it soon.
May 8 2015 06:40pm
Quote (EA7 @ May 8 2015 10:44am)
S2 made some terrible decisions, that's for sure. They always wanted to make a ton of money without investing anything, which just isn't the way it works. If they had paid Icefrog well and kept him on they would be really successful right now.

Dota2 engine definitely feels more clunky than HoN, but given that the game has better heroes, balance, community, competitive scene, etc. I'll gladly put up with it. In a way the game being a bit slower paced is nice since you have more time to plan your moves in teamfights. Still, I hope they'll upgrade it soon.

agreed!
May 8 2015 09:07pm
icefrog should have claimed exclusive rights and ownership of hon then he wouldn't have any problems
at the time tho i believe as any other money hungry poor man, i guess he was promised a decent sum

Quote (EA7 @ 8 May 2015 17:44)

never got used to dota 2 engine, can go as far to say that i genuinely dislike it
not to mention i felt i couldn't play nowhere near as good as i can in hon
Go Back To Heroes of Newerth Topic List
Prev1314031413142314331443161Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll