d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > $$ Gambling Guide $$ > How To, What To, How It Works...
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 220.00
Oct 29 2009 08:39am
Hi there, i decided to re-write my gambling guide ;) so here we go...

I decided to go as much in detail as is needed, and not further. This is about making profit, not about understanding all the formulas.
We will go through the things that are essential in order to gamble effectively, not more.

----------

Important stuff: (most of the text below is just copy pasted from http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/, i reccomend using this site.)

These are basicly the solid rules, formulas and numbers the gambling buisness is based upon.

When Magic Items are created the chances are: (this also applies to gambling)

Both Prefix and Suffix: 25%
Only a Prefix: 25%
Only a Suffix: 50%

- Rare Items are really just Magic Items with more than one Magical Prefix/Suffix with a special name.
- Rare Items have 2 to 6 magical properties or Magic Prefixes or Magic Suffixes.

- Only one Prefix or Suffix will be picked per Prefix or Suffix group. This means for example, if the Prefix Wyrm (+41-60 Mana) is chosen, Dragon's (+31-40 Mana) will not also be chosen since it belongs to the same Prefix +Mana group. Prefixes and Suffixes of the same types (such as Magic Find, Light Radius, Attack Rating) can be chosen. Only members of the same group cannot be chosen.

- Items generated for the gamble stock are -5 through +4 levels of your character's level with a minimum item level of 5. Note, this does not apply to level requirements often seen on items also known as required level. This applies only to the item level. This item level is never seen by the player in game and is used primarily in formulae that choose what affixes an item can get. Ancient armor has a quality level of 40, which means you can see it in the gambling screen at level 35. You will see it more often in the gambling screen when you are level 44 because at this point, you will always meet the required level.

- When items list a Level Requirement, the number listed is 75% of the highest prefix or suffix level (as shown on this page) on the item. For example, an Amulet of the Titan(58) with Titan as the highest prefix (or suffix) would have a level requirement of 43. Rare Items do not list the magic prefixes and suffixes by name so you will have to figure out based on their stats what magic prefixes and suffixes are being used.

- Quality Level - Qlvl is an integer given to all items. This interger is primarily used for separating items into groups known as "Treasure Classes". It is also used in the formula that determines the affix level of an item. The determination of an item drop will also use this number to verify if the drop is successful.

The level of quality of the items will be from most common to, most rare: Normal, Exceptional, Elite. The chance for the other types of items is:

Exceptional:

pV = max{0%, (ilvl − qlvlV) * 0.9% + 1%}

Elite:

pE = max{0%, (ilvl − qlvlE) * 0.33% + 1%}

pE/pV = probability
ilvl = clvl (-5 to +4)
qlvl = quality-lvl of base item to be generated (i.e. 33 for Demonhide gloves)

* Unique: 1/2000 (.005%)
* Set: 2/2000 (.01%)
* Rare: 200/2000 (10%)
* Magical: 1797/2000 (89%)

So this means you have 10% on a rare item when gambling, however the chance of it being elite is something different:

We take for example, a ''cap''. We all know what a cap is ? it's the normal version of a shako ! (duh..)
So what do we need to know here.. We are gambling a ''cap'', but these is a chance the item will be elite, aka shako.
There is no way of seeing the difference between normal / exceptional / elite in the gambling screen, they will all be
displayed as ''caps''. So, lets apply that freaky formula to this:

pE = max{0%, (ilvl − qlvlE) * 0.33% + 1%}

You can take out your calculator and see what the actual % is, or just realise that the chance on getting an elite
item is alot smaller then exceptional or normal. you should also look what is in this formula, look at the ilvl, the ilvl
with gambling depends on your clvl, so we can conclude this: the higher the character lvl, the higher the chance of
getting elite items.
Dont forget tho, rare items can be upgraded. (Ladder)

What do we know so far?
- We know about prefixes and suffixes, how they apply on magic items and rare items.
- We know the odds of getting rare items, and other items like uniques.
- We know the odds on getting an elite item, and how the formula works.
- We know character lvl will affect the ilvl when gambling.
- We know the Quality lvl is important when it comes down to items that can be upgraded. (normal/exceptional/elite)
- We know that for rings and amulets, qlvl isnt applied.
- We know the required lvl is infact 75% of the highest prefix / suffix.

----------

its all a bit complicated, but luckily whe do not have to too much in detail, since this guide will focus on rings, amulets and circlets/coronets.
When gambling rings and amulets, the qlvl is not important since there are no ''exceptional'' or ''elite'' rings and ammys, but when it comes
down to circlets etc, we gotta know more:
have a look at this: http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/circlets.shtml
->circlets, coronets, tiaras and diadems (also orbs etc but not important for gambling.) are special. the magic lvl works as a boost so the item
is able to recieve higher and mostly better mods! how does that work? First of all, read this about Magic Level...

- Magic Level
Circlets have a special magic ability which allows players to receive a higher level magical Prefixes and Suffixes on Monster Drops and when Gambling on Circlets. This bonus only applies to the bonuses that appear on Circlets themselves. This does not help generate better Magic Prefixes and Suffixes on other items. So when you receive a Circlet via Gambling or a Monster drop the Magic Level helps increase the chances that a better Magic Prefix or Suffix will appear on it.

Basicly, the magic level gets added with the ilvl so the chances of getting good prefixes and suffixes are increased.

----------

The gambling itself (finally!)

First of all, why gamble? Well, simply because by gambling you can easily achieve high ilvl items, rares and magics !
Why is that good ? Because a higher ilvl means better mods (usually..)

What do i gamble?
- Rings / Amulets : easy to gamble since they always spawn, and because rares can be very good.
- Circlets / Coronets : doesnt always spawn, so you must reset the gamble window by closing and
opening it again. Also very good since even magic ones can be very good (3s 30frw diadem wootwoot!)

How do i gamble?
- With a high lvl character, equipped with a ''edge'' bow and a ''gheeds fortune'' with perfect price reduce.
this will give a 30% discount which also applies to gambling. (yay!)
Look for the prefixes / suffixes page if you want to find out what lvl you have to be in order to get a good
chance at high lvl mods. For circlets and tiaras, add the magic lvl with your character lvl +5 -4.
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/magic/
The highest affix is this one:
Priest's +2 to Paladin Skill Levels Paladin Shields(50), Scepters(50), Hammers(65), Maces(65), Shields(65), Swords(65), Amulets(90), Circlets(90)
a.k.a the +2 skill on amulet in our case, which is 90.
So if you want a maximum chance of getting this, you character should be 94+, but at lvl 85 you will already have a very small chance of obtaining this mod on
an amulet.

What do i keep?
Circlets / Coronets:
Keep all magic circlets / coronets etc. with +2 /+3 skill and frw / fcr / life (a good second mod)
ofc realise a +3 fire skills and 20 frw is worthless :) , but im sure u know what i mean.
These CAN be valuable IF they get 2 sockets. you can do this with the first quest from act 5.
Also keep jeweler's mods with a good second mod. (3 sockets +25 dex on a tiara isnt bad at all)
Keep rares ofcourse, with +skills / stats / life / mana / resist / visionary / multi sockets (any good combination of these)

Dont forget: a coronet can be a tiara or diadem too, as the circlet will always be a circlet..
If you get a rare diadem, keep it and re-roll it using the cube, since a diadem has a magic lvl of 85.
Usually the item gets lower mods when re-rolling, but not with diadems since the 85 magic lvl will keep
the mods high enough!

Rings: keep good fcr rings with stats / life / mana / resist (any good combination of these)
or: good multi stat rings / dual leechers / melee rings / bowie rings ..

Amulets: keep all amulets with +skill / fcr / stats / life / mana / resist (any good combinaton of these, but the fcr is usually
a must.)

If you are not sure if an item is worth anything, just throw it in the pricecheck forum ;)

Also, you can try gambling other items as well ofcourse, like claws / belts / boots / gloves.
You could get nice rares when gambling these, but imo circlets / coronets / rings / ammy's are the best to gamble ;)

Oh one more thing: You need a good EG character if you want to be a pro gambler ;)
There are some good EG character guides out there, im sure you will be able to find one. Best character for EG
is a barbarian with a strong merc imo. can hold most +eg and can also hork corpses.

----------

Allright, i guess that was all :) if i forgot to mention something, please let me know.
Hope it helped.

This post was edited by Aphexus on Oct 29 2009 08:47am
Gold: 30.30
Oct 29 2009 08:56am
lvl 91+ to gamble. missed that u said high level but

nice guide anyway lolz

Gold: 130.00
Oct 29 2009 08:59am
Sweet little guide. thx :)
Gold: 1,930.50
Oct 29 2009 09:01am
Thank you, very informative :)
Oct 29 2009 09:33am
Quote (abUsername @ Oct 29 2009 04:56pm)
lvl 91+ to gamble.  missed that u said high level but

nice guide anyway lolz

i did say 94+ for for getting highest mod, which is +2 skills (on amulet in that example.)

and thx :)

This post was edited by Aphexus on Oct 29 2009 09:36am
Gold: 0.00
Oct 29 2009 09:44am
gg
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 50%
Oct 29 2009 09:46am
Quote (Aphexus @ 29 Oct 2009 17:33)
i did say 94+ for for getting highest mod, which is +2 skills (on amulet in that example.)

nope, only 93 lvl is needed for max mod spawn
Oct 29 2009 09:50am
Quote (Maarth @ Oct 29 2009 05:46pm)
nope, only 93 lvl is needed for max mod spawn

oh i made a major mistake.. its -5 +4 and not +5 -4 for ilvl related to clvl, at some point i said +4 -5. dunno if i should repost because of that :P

anyways i guess that would be lvl 95 in order to get the maximum chance of getting the +2 skills mod on an amulet?

This post was edited by Aphexus on Oct 29 2009 09:51am
Gold: 51.09
Oct 29 2009 09:57am
Quote (Aphexus @ Oct 29 2009 04:33pm)

so a lvl 94+ char is best at gamble everything?

or do u need lvl 88 + 92 + 94+ char?
Oct 29 2009 10:02am
Quote (Mastermat562 @ Oct 29 2009 05:57pm)
so a lvl 94+ char is best at gamble everything?

or do u need lvl 88 + 92 + 94+ char?

the higher the clvl the better the mods on the item.
at lvl 95 however, you got the highest chance on the highest mod (+2 skill) on amulet.
your character lvl sets the ilvl with gambling.
ilvl = clvl -5 to +4. so if you are lvl 95, the ilvl will be 90 - 99.
if you are lvl 94 its 89 - 98, that means you will still get lvl 89 items sometimes which means not the
maximum chance on the +2 skills mod on an amulet, which spawns on 90.
that doesnt mean you won't get the +2 skills mod, it means you 1/9 th less chance on getting it.

This post was edited by Aphexus on Oct 29 2009 10:03am
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll