d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > ~@~ Gris Set Light Pvm Avenger ~@~ > Just For The Hell Of It
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,707.15
Oct 9 2008 02:54pm
~@~ Gris Set LIGHT Avenger ~@~

I got bored, so I decided to do the usual, and post an old build that I used in 1.10.
You will probably have alot of questions, maybe just call me a noob or whatever,
my suggestion, just say what you want, it is about discussing things anyway.

Let us get started, first of all, I wanted a Noob looking character in pub games.
Help team with conviction aura and also be able to kill, on occassions Pub kill FCzons
and the occassional noob trapper and light sorcs.

Attributes (Stats):
Strength: NONE
Dexterity: Enough for equipment after other items or you can opt for max block.
Vitality: Rest
Energy: NONE

Skills:
20 Vengeance
20 Conviction
20 Light Resistance
20 Holy Shield
1 Salvation
1 Pre Requisites

Note: After all quests you should be finished at lvl81 for skills. NOW the extra points from there
is entirely up to you as in what to do.

Why I chose to Max out Light Resistance Synergy
In PvM, Lightning is a very strong element, if not the strongest. Also lightning immune is one of the easiest resistances to remove with Conviction.

Pre Note: Using Cadaceus weapon you will need to reach 109%ias to get last bp.
40% on Gris wpn
75% from 5x 15%ias jewels
115% ias Total with this setup.

Items:
Gris Helm:
- Cham = Cannot Be Frozen
- 40ed/15ias jewel = self explanatory
Gris Armor:
Gris Weapon: Automatic 40%ias
- Ber - Crushing Blow
- Ber - Crushing Blow
- Ber - Crushing Blow
- Zod = Indestructible = But you can choose any other option
Gris Shield
- Minus 15 req jewel with any mods
- Light Facet = You can choose anything
Boots:
- Sandstorm Treks
Ammy:
- Mara's/Seraphs/Angelics
Ring1:
- Rare mana leech/15+ str
Ring2
- Bk/Soj/Angelics
Belt:
- Tgods = 20str is what you are after or anything to your choosing
Gloves:
- Draculs Grasp No other.

Switch:
Cta
Spirit

Inventory:
Besides the standard Torch/Anni, the rest is up to you, with this build you can use more mf charms, dmg/ar/life Anything.
Also with the Medium Armor and Shield, you will notice your run walk speed to be slow, so you may want some frw sc's with
mods to help you out.

Complete Set Bonus
+3 To Paladin Skill Levels
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
+200 To Attack Rating
+20 To Strength
+30 To Dexterity
+150 To Life
All Resistances +50
Display Aura

View Arreat on Item Bonuses:
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/sets/sets5.shtml#griswoldslegacy

End Note:
Yes there are better setups, there are better items, there are a ton of cookies out, but this is just for the Hell of it, and if you are in pub game and kill while people calling you a noob, on the inside you can just laugh at them.
Gold: 67.22
Oct 9 2008 03:23pm
1st up
ever seen ethereal setitems @ lod 1.12/1.11
izp again in his little world of dreams...

2nd up
basics to vengeance: off weapon ed does not affect your vengeance damage
off weapon mindam and off weapon maxdam does that

3rd up
if you want cb versus bosses... simply press "w" and use a black on switch
or just rely on your vengeance damage, it is enough to kill a boss

4th up
cta on a melee...
how many +all skills and not charclass do you get if you want a decent build?
2 spirit, 1-2 amu 1 ring and 1 anni.... bad idea

having to reacast every 2 minutes ain`t really nice

5th
paladin with shield in close combat only doing up to 3 attacks per second... not going for MB is only one thing
overall less effective life........ bad idea
(on a sidenote.. if you don`t think MB is necessary, why do you want 20 points in HS charscreendeff?)

6th
skills
first up: any + skills one gets from his eq are good because they mean: less points we have to invest into hs and conv--> free skillpoints for synergies--> more damage

a:)
lvl 25 conv with items is the level to for because it offers -150% resistances... a higher level will only work a little more on the opponents defense but not on the elemental resistances

since this is a pvm guide, we don`t have to worry about pvp and the higher conv overriding the lower one

b:)
since we already have high defense with hs and basedeff and we do not want to use pure smitedamage versus opponents, we can simply use the holy shield for % blocking and go for one of the breakpoints like
16,20,23/24,27 and so on.... I`d go for level 16 ^^

c:)
since you deal fire,cold and lightning damage, I would not focus on one element for the damage because
if a monster is light immune, his cold and fireress will be lower and thus you will deal more cold and/or firedamage to it than with your lightning part, though that is pierced (but still high, whereas the other 2 resis are probably negative because of your conv)

7. setup:

I`d build it rather like this

eq:
Highlord`s Wrath
String of ears /Wilhelm`s pride
Raven+dualleacher
20 ias rare or crafted gloves with ml/ll or dualleach
War Travellers
Full Griswold Set

anni/torch
offensive aura skillers if you have them or simply fill your equipment with maxdam/ar charms

resis:
full gris= 100 prisma (50 set,5 korona,45 shield)
anya=30
anni/torch-> another 30 at least
------------>160 prisma @ hell
gloves and ring can offer resis
otherwise: charms or 1-2 perfect diamonds in the shield

lightning ress are full because of highlords
60 poisresis are enough (charms/pdia)
60 coldres with the absorb of crown and raven are enough if we don`t want a pdia in the shield
60 fres okay--> charms or pdia if gloves and ring do not offer enough

ias:
-40 weapon
-20 amu
-20 gloves
2x 15 ias/ed in weapon

restsockets:
weapon: preferrably 40 ed 9 str

other sockets: maxdam

30 fhr is enough from the set
resis are full
ias is achieved
pure vengeance damage is higher than that of your build

skills:
1 highlords
5 all pala(grisset)
3 torch
1 anni

hgow to skill:

15 conv
6 hs
20 vengeance
1 redemption
1 cleansing
rest: synergies to vengeance

if you use more off aura skillers, opbviously less for conv
otherwise: fill the rest with maxdam/ar charms

str for items
dex for mb
vita as vita can

8 merc:
reaper`s mighter
or maybe an insight froster
a3 coldwolf or harmonyroque are also options but I prefer the good old safety of decrepefy and the more ll and ml through might

2/10 izp

do your homework

This post was edited by Ancalagon on Oct 9 2008 03:31pm
Gold: 3.75
Oct 9 2008 03:39pm
Nice
Gold: 3.75
Oct 9 2008 03:39pm
Nice
Gold: 431.00
Oct 9 2008 06:42pm
I made this on single player, instead of putting a zod or ber runes in the weapon, I used ohm runes as you really want enhanced damage on your main. Then I put 15 max damage 15 IAS jewels in everything else (except the shield, I put ums in that) and I maxed out
Holy Shield
Vengeance
Enough into Conviction to hit lvl 25
Resist Lightning
1 point Defiance (its a nice 1 point wonder synergy for the passive bonus and Holy shield)
and then I divided my points evenly between Resist Cold and Resist Fire

I used half an inventory full of 3/20/20's and then I used a perfect torch, annihilus, and 3 Pcombs. I hit roughly 3-5k on screen vengeance damage with 4.5k life. The actual damage is probably much much higher, but that is still impressive for Griswold's set.

Fun guide, I give it a 10/10.
Oct 9 2008 08:36pm
Quote (Ancalagon @ Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:23am)
1st up
ever seen ethereal setitems @ lod 1.12/1.11
izp again in his little world of dreams...
rofl.gif Noob, Zod is used because of the REPAIR factor.
2nd up
basics to vengeance: off weapon ed does not affect your vengeance damage
off weapon mindam and off weapon maxdam does that
Shit, really, damn think about other physical attacks like 1 point Zeal for crowds?, guess you didn't
3rd up
if you want cb versus bosses... simply press "w" and use a black on switch
or just rely on your vengeance damage, it is enough to kill a boss
OMFG, what, you think Pre Bo from CTA/Spirit will last?
4th up
cta on a melee...
how many +all skills and not charclass do you get if you want a decent build?
2 spirit, 1-2 amu 1 ring and 1 anni.... bad idea
having to reacast every 2 minutes ain`t really nice
Better than no BO.
5th
paladin with shield in close combat only doing up to 3 attacks per second... not going for MB is only one thing
overall less effective life........ bad idea
(on a sidenote.. if you don`t think MB is necessary, why do you want 20 points in HS charscreendeff?)
laugh.gif guess reading is not a factor
6th skills
first up: any + skills one gets from his eq are good because they mean: less points we have to invest into hs and conv--> free skillpoints for synergies--> more damage

a:) lvl 25 conv with items is the level to for because it offers -150% resistances... a higher level will only work a little more on the opponents defense but not on the elemental resistances:
DOH really, geez don't you think I know that, and do not forget that -95 to enemies defense is the highest you can get

since this is a pvm guide, we don`t have to worry about pvp and the higher conv overriding the lower one
Depends on if you want to mf in duel games and pvp on occassions, people will get in FoH'er

b:) since we already have high defense with hs and basedeff and we do not want to use pure smitedamage versus opponents, we can simply use the holy shield for % blocking and go for one of the breakpoints like
16,20,23/24,27 and so on.... I`d go for level 16 ^^
Right, okay, hmmm. get back to you on this, working

c:) since you deal fire,cold and lightning damage, I would not focus on one element for the damage because
if a monster is light immune, his cold and fireress will be lower and thus you will deal more cold and/or firedamage to it than with your lightning part, though that is pierced (but still high, whereas the other 2 resis are probably negative because of your conv)
Only boss monsters remain immune on occassions, not all the time

7. setup:
I`d build it rather like this

eq:
Highlord`s Wrath
String of ears /Wilhelm`s pride
Raven+dualleacher
20 ias rare or crafted gloves with ml/ll or dualleach
War Travellers
Full Griswold Set

anni/torch
offensive aura skillers if you have them or simply fill your equipment with maxdam/ar charms

resis:
full gris= 100 prisma (50 set,5 korona,45 shield)
anya=30
anni/torch-> another 30 at least
------------>160 prisma @ hell
gloves and ring can offer resis
otherwise: charms or 1-2 perfect diamonds in the shield

lightning ress are full because of highlords
60 poisresis are enough (charms/pdia)
60 coldres with the absorb of crown and raven are enough if we don`t want a pdia in the shield
60 fres okay--> charms or pdia if gloves and ring do not offer enough

ias:
-40 weapon
-20 amu
-20 gloves
2x 15 ias/ed in weapon

restsockets:
weapon: preferrably 40 ed 9 str

other sockets: maxdam

30 fhr is enough from the set
resis are full
ias is achieved
pure vengeance damage is higher than that of your build
Nice layout, would work, based on your skill placement also, but then I prefer Lifetap.

skills:
1 highlords
5 all pala(grisset)
3 torch
1 anni

how to skill:
15 conv
6 hs
20 vengeance
1 redemption
1 cleansing
rest: synergies to vengeance
If you want more into the synergies, that is up to you, if you are relying on the +skill items, also up to you.
I chose 1 synergy for a simple reason, there are no LOWER minions that remain IMMUNE to Lightning when
you are in Hell Difficulty, but, there are Fire Immunes (not bosses) in Act4 and Act5, there are Cold Immunes
(not bosses) in Act4 and Act5.

if you use more off aura skillers, opbviously less for conv
otherwise: fill the rest with maxdam/ar charms
Inventory is upto the person creating it, as stated in the inventory.

str for items
dex for mb
vita as vita can
Stated in Stats section

8 merc:
reaper`s mighter
or maybe an insight froster
a3 coldwolf or harmonyroque are also options but I prefer the good old safety of decrepefy and the more ll and ml through might
Merc is optional, I left it out, but the one that I used in conjunction with this setup is as follows:
Might merc
EPride & on occassions EDestruction
Ebug Fort
EAndy's

2/10 izp
do your homework

Homework, I leave that upto the nerds like you that does not play for fun, how about you get a grip on life and realise that this is a game for fun, enjoyment, pasttime. Anyone with half a brain, and ones that can read, can see that I posted this for fun, not to be godly.

I welcome your input, as usual, you like to state the obvious, maybe if you read alot of the other guides about Avengers, you would notice that you have not said anything new

-------------Sep Bar------------------

Quote (Signal14 @ Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:39am)
Nice

Thank you, just thinking outside the norm.

-------------Sep Bar------------------

Quote (general_patton @ Fri, Oct 10 2008, 01:42pm)
I made this on single player, instead of putting a zod or ber runes in the weapon, I used ohm runes as you really want enhanced damage on your main. Then I put 15 max damage 15 IAS jewels in everything else (except the shield, I put ums in that) and I maxed out
Holy Shield
Vengeance
Enough into Conviction to hit lvl 25
Resist Lightning
1 point Defiance (its a nice 1 point wonder synergy for the passive bonus and Holy shield)
and then I divided my points evenly between Resist Cold and Resist Fire

I used half an inventory full of 3/20/20's and then I used a perfect torch, annihilus, and 3 Pcombs. I hit roughly 3-5k on screen vengeance damage with 4.5k life. The actual damage is probably much much higher, but that is still impressive for Griswold's set.

Fun guide, I give it a 10/10.

Thank you, I just like to muck around with some different ideas, and just see what people think, whether or not they like it.

This post was edited by izParagonzi on Oct 9 2008 08:38pm
Oct 10 2008 02:39am
we have different ideas about fun
I normally rather look at getting the best out of what is avialable

@ stating the obvious or nothing new

well what is there new on your guide?
ineffective setup
bad skilling
no brainers about mechanics and you still get them wrong
aso asf

trying to be different without improvements to the material that is already around won`t make this attempt thing be worth anyhting

@ repair
as If getting gold @ d2 was that hard and those setitems were that tough to repair... but putting a zod into the items, inseat of maxdam is only a loss of potential

@zeal
yeah right
1 point zeal with no fana/sacrifice and that low off weapon ed and the rather low damage of the caduceus
in combination with 0% deadly strike is surely more effective versus groups than
1 strike vengeance -> 1 dead opponent

@ BO
won`t help your that is simply it, relying on a thing you have to reacsst every 2 minutes is imho a waste because one can play without that with no problems

@ skilling
let`s see
you mention 5 allskills from the set, you mention anni and torch and still you advice the people to put 20 points into conviction#

@ mffing in duelgames:
20-30 mf of crown
no mf slot and no mf from other items/charms this sure sounds like a thing to do with a full griswold avenger
besides the fact that you don`t even mention perfect topazes

also they may get in foh`er so what..

just check out what paladins are there @ a1.. takes 1 look
go into area of your choosing

they will have to notice you and will have to find you

I normally do baalwalks in duellgames and up to now nobody has ever found me......

also
fisters would not be your main problem
against a properly planned pvp char you don´t really stand a chance
no teleport
low damred
compareably low life
slow attack speed
no ranged combat from your side
low ar
low magedamred

@ LT
5% chance to trigger it
you do 3 strikes per second
imho too little to actually trigger it when you need it
not a clutch I´d wanna rely on

@ resis
I would not concentrate on one element...
wether there are immunes to one element does not matter because you have your physical part and the other 2 elements to kill them
that is enough for any avenger
the cold and fire part are for more effective than the light part versus pierced LI monsters and that is it.
versus LI monsters, your Light damage is the last thing that actually matters.

@ merc
I would neither use pride nor destruction
@ pride
285-345% off weapon ed

we already have 150 from str
220+ from merc

average monster has 50% physres in hell

so from our physical attacks
we can say, that we do the damage that we would deal with 357% off weapon ed (if it is a lvl 20 konze pride)

with reaper`s we del the damage we would deal with 370 % off weapon ed and we`d have the lower attack speed of the opponents

@ destruction
if we want the crushing blow, an ethereal hone or obedience are better (theese two also don`t have any delayers)
phm is not applied, itd not needed... bad choice

This post was edited by Ancalagon on Oct 10 2008 02:46am
Gold: 10.00
Oct 10 2008 04:26am
If u ask me, A Full Gris Shocker would be better.
Oct 10 2008 06:35am
I once killed an uber diablo with a 0 cb gris avenger.. boy that was fun^^
Oct 12 2008 08:43pm
Quote (Ancalagon @ Fri, Oct 10 2008, 09:39pm)
we have different ideas about fun
I normally rather look at getting the best out of what is avialable.
Whether we have different setups, game styles does not mean that my build does not work.
Just like you Guide, but then I did not post all the ineffective ways of your setups, and there are some.
I just approach conversation by realising that they (You) and myself have differing views, I do not go
out of my way to just dis them

@ stating the obvious or nothing new

well what is there new on your guide? icon_pointl.gif rofl.gif how many Gris Set Avengers do you see stickied?
ineffective setup
bad skilling
no brainers about mechanics and you still get them wrong
aso asf
Guess you think you know it all, but, you are incorrect, it works, and works good enough, while gaming, you do not need to be perfect.

trying to be different without improvements to the material that is already around won`t make this attempt thing be worth anyhting.
Guess you are talking about yourself, as one person posted, they tried it, made changes to suit them, how hard is that to do for you? by all the bs that you keep ranting and raving about, it is too hard.

@ repair
as If getting gold @ d2 was that hard and those setitems were that tough to repair... but putting a zod into the items, inseat of maxdam is only a loss of potential
Did I say it was a MUST to zod the weapon? NO, learn how to read, you just made a point about nothing, just like a wannabe know it all, do not read, just state the unobvious.

@zeal
yeah right
1 point zeal with no fana/sacrifice and that low off weapon ed and the rather low damage of the caduceus
in combination with 0% deadly strike is surely more effective versus groups than
1 strike vengeance -> 1 dead opponent
You state things about +All Skill items on the mention of the BO, yet you do not even calculate the actual level you would be zealing at? shit, for a person that uses calculators, you would realise that I reach the Last IAS bp and a decent zeal level, deadly strike is a factor, but not really a necessity, and it is optional for other people to use Highlords, DOH

@ BO
won`t help your that is simply it, relying on a thing you have to reacsst every 2 minutes is imho a waste because one can play without that with no problems
2 minutes, that is a long time in PvM

@ skilling
let`s see
you mention 5 allskills from the set, you mention anni and torch and still you advice the people to put 20 points into conviction#
Check level of -95% to enemies DEFENSE, if I remember correctly, it is like lvl 27-29, forgot diminishing returns.

@ mffing in duelgames:
20-30 mf of crown
no mf slot and no mf from other items/charms this sure sounds like a thing to do with a full griswold avenger
besides the fact that you don`t even mention perfect topazes
Read the inventory, it is up to the creator. Also people mf % low for certain things.

also they may get in foh`er so what..
Think about it, DOH

just check out what paladins are there @ a1.. takes 1 look
go into area of your choosing
they will have to notice you and will have to find you
I normally do baalwalks in duellgames and up to now nobody has ever found me......
oHH, so you hide, nice,

also
fisters would not be your main problem
against a properly planned pvp char you don´t really stand a chance
no teleport
low damred
compareably low life
slow attack speed
no ranged combat from your side
low ar
low magedamred
OMFG, do I want to take on melee characters, as for sorcs, just charge, geez I think skill to handle character would be better. Last IAS bp, what are you talking about?

@ LT
5% chance to trigger it
you do 3 strikes per second
imho too little to actually trigger it when you need it
not a clutch I´d wanna rely on
Still better than no life tap, if it does not kick in, you still have leech

@ resis
I would not concentrate on one element...
wether there are immunes to one element does not matter because you have your physical part and the other 2 elements to kill them
that is enough for any avenger
the cold and fire part are for more effective than the light part versus pierced LI monsters and that is it.
versus LI monsters, your Light damage is the last thing that actually matters.
You forget, you already do Fire & Cold elemental damage also, just by placing 1 point into vengeance, there is no need to Up Fire Damage when taking on FI's. This is a 2 part discussion, and both factors are correct, but, it is dependent on the PLAYER, namely myself and you or anyone else. As Stated, there are NO, that is right, NO light immune monsters BESIDES those bosses, and even some of those can be made non-light-immune.

@ merc
I would neither use pride nor destruction
@ pride
285-345% off weapon ed

we already have 150 from str
220+ from merc

average monster has 50% physres in hell

so from our physical attacks
we can say, that we do the damage that we would deal with 357% off weapon ed (if it is a lvl 20 konze pride)

with reaper`s we del the damage we would deal with 370 % off weapon ed and we`d have the lower attack speed of the opponents
This again is dependent on the PLAYER, MIGHT + PRIDE, that is very nice damage.

@ destruction
if we want the crushing blow, an ethereal hone or obedience are better (theese two also don`t have any delayers)
phm is not applied, itd not needed... bad choice.
You like those low/mid, medium items (noted they can work), but then again it is your preference, not mine, not what I used, and to be honest, this is a stylish build, non cookie cutter, out of the norm.

I like see'ing you repeat what you like compared to whatever anyone else has stipulated, how about you build and post your Gris Set Avenger Guide.

------------------Sep Bar---------------------

Quote (Mors_Agni @ Fri, Oct 10 2008, 11:26pm)
If u ask me, A Full Gris Shocker would be better.

Nice, got a guide?
NO, ohh, maybe there is one in the Stickies?

------------------Sep Bar---------------------

Quote (Ancalagon @ Sat, Oct 11 2008, 01:35am)
I once killed an uber diablo with a 0 cb gris avenger.. boy that was fun^^

Oh really, got a screenshot?
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll