d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1199619971998199920002039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 849.09
Jan 18 2017 10:30pm
Hey Ray,

First and foremost, I finally have a proper diet! I have been eating extremely healthy, organic, and delicious for almost 6 months, and am seeing more gains than ever before!

I did 5x5 stronglifts for about 4 months, and have been doing hypertrophy for the past 2 months until present.

I follow the 3 on / 1 off split you gave me previously (chest/bis, back/tris, legs/shoulders)

Curious to know if you have any other hypertrophy routines planned out, in terms of the 3-1 as opposed to the muscle groups (im fine with any types of exercise, more worried about the on and off days)

Thanks man!
Gold: 25.65
Jan 24 2017 02:33pm
Hi Ray,

Any tips on managing trying to study for standardized exams, in my case, CPA licensing, while working full time, AND doing minimum 1 hour of gym work? I know you mention 5 hours of sleep, and always being busy studying and residency and such so I figure you have excellent willpower or on coke (lol).

My brain is fried and I feel like I'm taking a lot longer to absorb information because I barely have time to catch my breath and burning the candle on both ends. Working full time then trying to study for another 4-5 hours makes me take in info that would've probably taken 2.5 hours or so if I didn't have a full time job. I feel like this is super inefficient and want to give up. I missed the gym a lot due to this and I feel like even the gym I'm always back to ground 0 for missing days and lose my gains so I want to give up on that too :( I set my alarms to wake up early and study again, but I end up eventually waking up so that I'm a few mins late to work because I was studying til 3-4am and trying to wake up at 6-7 from that is hell. Basically I have trouble going to work on time rushing out the door, let alone waking up and getting studying in. I am spending a crapton on this sushi bowl place for lunch (12 bucks per bowl) because it's relatively good macros (rice, avocado, raw fish, onions, cucumbers) and is breaking my budget because cant be ass'd meal prepping rn either. I am on so much caffeine that I am probably gonna get a stroke from high bp at this rate.

Could you please help me balance this a bit?

Thanks so much.
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jan 26 2017 08:18pm
Quote (leemyungbak @ Dec 24 2016 03:36pm)
Hi Ray

So I asked for "bloodwork" at the doctors and they gave me a lipids panel and metabolic panel. I dont know anything and assumed my test levels would show up too. They didnt.

1) Next time, what blood tests should I ask for to get a comprehensive view of metrics that can help with bodybuilding (been reading about test/free test, thyroid, estrodial, IGF1, DHEA/DHEA1) anything else?

2) also do you have a guide to intrepret results?

Thanks!

The following should be on the test:

Testosterone and Free testosterone
IGF-1 Estradiol
DHEA/DHEA-s
Full thyroid panel
Cholesterol w/ LDL, HDL, and Triglycerides
C-reactive protein
Homocysteine

Each item will contain a "normal range" when you receive the results. Once you have your results, anything on the lower/higher end of "normal" and or things above/below normal should be taken into consideration. Obviously, higher test levels and IGF can be a good thing, whereas lower HDL and higher LDL can be very bad.

There really isnt a specific guide to what each level should be - everything must be taken into consideration for a broad picture.
Jan 26 2017 08:18pm
Quote (ozzyarmy3 @ Dec 25 2016 08:59pm)
Hey Raynor,

So I'm getting very involved in lifting.. I've been following the 5x5 strong lift program for awhile now, and I am definetly seeing results.. How ever, the exercises are repetitive and the same 5 over and over.. Squat, OHP, BB Rows, DL, Bench.. Should I add anything into my workouts? I usually do some light cardio at the end of my sessions.. But I feel like I don't emphasize on any particular group, even though I am getting stronger.

thanks.

Try my 5x5 for a bit more variety:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=345300636
5x5 plan
Jan 26 2017 08:20pm
Quote (nate321 @ Dec 31 2016 02:10am)
hello!

im having a small, on going problem. when i do barbell rows my lower left thigh seems to cramp up or gets a sharp pain. it doesnt feel like an injury, though. change in weight(very light atm. 85lbs) or angle of my back doesnt seem to make a difference. i assumed my form was wrong, but every time i double check i dont see myself being any different from videos i watch. i also do not get this pain from doing squats or deadlifts. i am not sure how to solve it. any thoughts are appreciated!

Try using a foam roller before and after training. Also try doing more stretches before/during/after training. This is most likely a flexibility issue combined with overly tight leg muscles.

Quote (SnoopieIX @ Jan 18 2017 04:11pm)
Also had this. But i think it's not pain, it's like the muscle gets cramped to the point it feels like pain.

Interested in the answer.

See above. Generally, the quads can very easily cramp when tightened at ~90 degree angles for a while. This is more endurance related with regard to flexibility and muscle tightness. The above still applies.

This post was edited by SKCRaynor on Jan 26 2017 08:22pm
Jan 26 2017 08:21pm
Quote (bullets501 @ Jan 7 2017 04:00pm)
Hey raynor:

Just wondering if you have any gym routines cantering cardio?

I'm not a big outdoor runner due to the cold weather, and the treadmill can get boring.

Im looking to improve cardio stamina/running speed.

I'm looking for a routine for a total body cardio workout; just wondering what you think is viable for best results for my current goal.

ATM all I do is shuttle style treadmill run (start at 5.1mph and increase 0.3mph every 1 minute until I can't go anymore) usually make it to 8.7 mph. Before I'm gassed. Doesn't matter if the routine takes 20 min or 1 hour. Just need something to start on to start tracking cardio progress.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=335958561
Improving running endurance and distance

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=392118217
Improving Running and Marathons

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=480796599
Improving 5K Running time

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=331184643
Circuit Stations

Jan 26 2017 08:23pm
Quote (Zigity @ Jan 19 2017 12:30am)
Hey Ray,

First and foremost, I finally have a proper diet! I have been eating extremely healthy, organic, and delicious for almost 6 months, and am seeing more gains than ever before!

I did 5x5 stronglifts for about 4 months, and have been doing hypertrophy for the past 2 months until present.

I follow the 3 on / 1 off split you gave me previously (chest/bis, back/tris, legs/shoulders)

Curious to know if you have any other hypertrophy routines planned out, in terms of the 3-1 as opposed to the muscle groups (im fine with any types of exercise, more worried about the on and off days)

Thanks man!

here are my 3:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=345358141
Hypertrophy Plan 3-on-1-off (regular)

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=352563664
Hypertrophy 5 day split (modified)

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=353331310
Hypertrophy Plan 3-on-1-off (modified for BB, DB, and Bench)

Jan 26 2017 08:30pm
Quote (leemyungbak @ Jan 24 2017 04:33pm)
Hi Ray,

Any tips on managing trying to study for standardized exams, in my case, CPA licensing, while working full time, AND doing minimum 1 hour of gym work? I know you mention 5 hours of sleep, and always being busy studying and residency and such so I figure you have excellent willpower or on coke (lol).

My brain is fried and I feel like I'm taking a lot longer to absorb information because I barely have time to catch my breath and burning the candle on both ends. Working full time then trying to study for another 4-5 hours makes me take in info that would've probably taken 2.5 hours or so if I didn't have a full time job. I feel like this is super inefficient and want to give up. I missed the gym a lot due to this and I feel like even the gym I'm always back to ground 0 for missing days and lose my gains so I want to give up on that too :( I set my alarms to wake up early and study again, but I end up eventually waking up so that I'm a few mins late to work because I was studying til 3-4am and trying to wake up at 6-7 from that is hell. Basically I have trouble going to work on time rushing out the door, let alone waking up and getting studying in. I am spending a crapton on this sushi bowl place for lunch (12 bucks per bowl) because it's relatively good macros (rice, avocado, raw fish, onions, cucumbers) and is breaking my budget because cant be ass'd meal prepping rn either. I am on so much caffeine that I am probably gonna get a stroke from high bp at this rate.

Could you please help me balance this a bit?

Thanks so much.

Legitimately, the only good solution is a combination of willpower and meditation. 30 minutes of meditation can truly rejuvenate you beyond 2-3 hours of additional sleep, if done correctly. You need to stay properly hydrated and given adequate nutrition throughout the day (think constantly eating smaller meals/snacks throughout the day vs a few large meals).

Avoid becoming caffeine dependent - because eventually it will take obscene amounts of it to do anything, greatly increasing your risk of heart attack or stroke.

Work your schedule as best you can and you can even cut down the workouts to 30 minutes, if you do intense maximum exertion, with little to no rest between sets. Efficiency is the key here - find ways to make your existing life more efficient, and you will in turn save time and improve mental fortitude.
Jan 26 2017 08:32pm

TO EVERYONE - I APOLOGIZE FOR THE DELAY IN REPLYING TO POSTS/MESSAGES. I HAVE BEEN OUT OF THE STATE AND EXTREMELY BUSY. I HAVE ARRIVED BACK HOME AND WILL BE ON MORE FREQUENTLY. THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING!
Gold: 570.00
Feb 1 2017 11:23am
hi raynor

not sure if you already got that one before:

what is your philosophy of life?

-bourse
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1199619971998199920002039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll