d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1197419751976197719782039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,221.76
May 18 2016 02:14pm
what is a safe range for doing cardio? like how many times per week, for how long?

should i avoid doing cardio for over a certain amount of time in one setting?

as ive said before my shoulder is injured, but i still want to be active

ive been doing cardio on an elliptical machine. i dont put my arms on it, just keep them at my side

ive been doing around 60 to 65 min, usually last 5 min are very slow pace to cool down. ive been doing this around 6 days a week. been trying to leave at least 1 rest day. i used to lift weights 6 days a week, so this helps me feel like im actually doing something.

but ive noticed my ankles, and knees are sometimes extra sore, and in a bit of pain during my next cardio session. im assuming i have poor form while running, or its just too frequent and/or too long of a session?

i do take glucosamine, MSM, and fish oils daily.

i would like to possibly start doing around 90 min cardio sessions. is this a bad idea, as in too long and can be detrimental? i feel like as ive been doing more cardio it is becoming much easier to go for a longer period of time. first 40 min is nothing for me now. and the last 20 min are a bit harder, but it feels good to do. while i do feel like i did a good workout, i can prob go for a bit longer.

thanks again.

by the way, never thought id be doing so much cardio lol, dont really like it at all, but its better than doing nothing, since i cant lift weights right now
Gold: 0.20
May 20 2016 01:54am
Quote (noob_whacker @ 18 May 2016 15:14)
what is a safe range for doing cardio? like how many times per week, for how long?

Tracking topic
I've been running on a treadmill every day for 6 or 7 weeks and now that I've done 5k a couple times I wonder about that. I'm pretty heavy 250lbs
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
May 20 2016 06:22pm
Quote (noob_whacker @ May 18 2016 04:14pm)

as ive said before my shoulder is injured, but i still want to be active

ive been doing cardio on an elliptical machine. i dont put my arms on it, just keep them at my side

ive been doing around 60 to 65 min, usually last 5 min are very slow pace to cool down. ive been doing this around 6 days a week. been trying to leave at least 1 rest day. i used to lift weights 6 days a week, so this helps me feel like im actually doing something.

but ive noticed my ankles, and knees are sometimes extra sore, and in a bit of pain during my next cardio session. im assuming i have poor form while running, or its just too frequent and/or too long of a session?

i do take glucosamine, MSM, and fish oils daily.

i would like to possibly start doing around 90 min cardio sessions. is this a bad idea, as in too long and can be detrimental? i feel like as ive been doing more cardio it is becoming much easier to go for a longer period of time. first 40 min is nothing for me now. and the last 20 min are a bit harder, but it feels good to do. while i do feel like i did a good workout, i can prob go for a bit longer.

thanks again.

by the way, never thought id be doing so much cardio lol, dont really like it at all, but its better than doing nothing, since i cant lift weights right now

It would be better to do HIIT cardio several times a day than one long cardio session. Try two to three 20-25 minute HIIT sessions.

Sample:

Each session:

2 minutes fast walk
2 minutes jog
30-45 seconds full sprint
repeat for a total of 20-25 mins.

In addition, try to switch things up and do various forms of cardio (not just eliptical). Try cycling, swimming, stair climbing, etc.
May 20 2016 06:24pm
Quote (Henchman21 @ May 20 2016 03:54am)
Tracking topic
I've been running on a treadmill every day for 6 or 7 weeks and now that I've done 5k a couple times I wonder about that. I'm pretty heavy 250lbs

The actual duration of consistent cardio has more to do with a deleterious effect on the joints and heart than anything. It is superior to do HIIT cardio than LISS cardio for overall health and endurance.

That being said - you should give yourself at least one full day of rest if you are consistently active to give your body the ability to recuperate from the constant barrage of microtears.
Gold: 8,221.76
May 20 2016 07:16pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ May 20 2016 08:22pm)
It would be better to do HIIT cardio several times a day than one long cardio session. Try two to three 20-25 minute HIIT sessions.

Sample:

Each session:

2 minutes fast walk
2 minutes jog
30-45 seconds full sprint
repeat for a total of 20-25 mins.

In addition, try to switch things up and do various forms of cardio (not just eliptical). Try cycling, swimming, stair climbing, etc.

ok thanks, ill consider this.

its just that i always bring my book to read while on the eliptical. because its easiest to stay in a somewhat similar position so i can read. i might fall off of the treadmill if i try to read a book on it lol. ALSO i tried running on sidewalk around a year ago, just because, and maybe i was running to hard and pushing myself too far, since i never really ran much. but soon after i got extreme pain in my ankles and knees. i feel like the eliptical is easiest on my joints?

and well swimming, cant swim and read.
i really enjoy reading while doing cardio, its the one thing that really helps me actually do cardio, since i find it extremely boring otherwise. reading is relaxing with cardio for me.

it is easiest to stay at one pace for most of the time. but i can try to vary the pace for HIIT.

i see you responded to henchman by saying take 1 full day of rest? so every other day of cardio should be fine? what if i am not consistently active, other than cardio? i was thinking about two or three days of cardio, and one day off?

This post was edited by noob_whacker on May 20 2016 07:18pm
May 23 2016 07:57am
Quote (noob_whacker @ May 20 2016 09:16pm)
ok thanks, ill consider this.

its just that i always bring my book to read while on the eliptical. because its easiest to stay in a somewhat similar position so i can read. i might fall off of the treadmill if i try to read a book on it lol. ALSO i tried running on sidewalk around a year ago, just because, and maybe i was running to hard and pushing myself too far, since i never really ran much. but soon after i got extreme pain in my ankles and knees. i feel like the eliptical is easiest on my joints?

and well swimming, cant swim and read.
i really enjoy reading while doing cardio, its the one thing that really helps me actually do cardio, since i find it extremely boring otherwise. reading is relaxing with cardio for me.

it is easiest to stay at one pace for most of the time. but i can try to vary the pace for HIIT.

i see you responded to henchman by saying take 1 full day of rest? so every other day of cardio should be fine? what if i am not consistently active, other than cardio? i was thinking about two or three days of cardio, and one day off?

Every other day is fine, although you can do 2 or 3-days on 1-day off.

On a side note, try a recumbent bike as well to vary the elliptical motion.
Gold: 115,229.43
May 29 2016 08:51am
Wow you're still here doing this? Bless you.

You gave me my first lifting and diet advice ~4 years ago. I still use the nutritional information you gave me as a base of my knowledge as it pertains to food, and you changed my perspective on what "working out" really is. I can go into the gym after a lazy couple months and see results almost immediately, thanks to your advice.

Anyway. I have returned to these forums because my gf has been complaining about her image and "not knowing how to work out". The areas she wants to target, and the machines I imagine her having to use, are machines I'm not familiar with (the butterfly leg one for example). I'll give you her spec, what she'd like to improve, and maybe you can help? Her diet is fairly good, she may just need a timeline and routines + how to do those routines (the more detail the better - or if there's a video showing the process, the better). She's like me in the sense that we both learn better if we "feel" how the routine is supposed to feel when done properly, as opposed to necessarily what it should look like in a side mirror (which most youtube vids are).

Height: 5'7
Current Weight: 138
Desired Target Weight: 130 (? she doesn't really know this - thin but fit).

Goal 1: tighten and firm legs (thighs as a priority)
Goal 2: trim just a little off the stomach, and firm
goal 3: firm up ass ;)

She's not trying to go for a female body builder look here. In fact, I think she's fine. She thinks she needs a bit of work, so we're not talking about a massive overhaul here. But do what you will with this information. Again, targeting the legs and stomach, and butt region + calves. To round out the workout, I don't think she would be opposed to some toning on the arms etc.

I've had some luck on jsp lately. I'll throw you some more fg, because you deserve it...and I'm kind of asking for a lot with this one. Thanks!

This post was edited by DeathX on May 29 2016 08:54am
Gold: 1,120.01
Jun 1 2016 07:59pm
Hey buddy-

CKD is going well but two questions/comments

1. Can you give me a 5 or 6-day workout plan I can do with it that is beneficial for cutting
and
2. The carb load day, it's impossible for me to follow that meal plan because I can't just buy all those things for one day and keep them in the house for the next 4 weeks. Is there just macros I should hit, or an alternative meal plan?
and
3. Is the Carbo load/cheat day necessary for it?
Jun 1 2016 09:26pm
Quote (DeathX @ May 29 2016 10:51am)
Wow you're still here doing this? Bless you.

You gave me my first lifting and diet advice ~4 years ago. I still use the nutritional information you gave me as a base of my knowledge as it pertains to food, and you changed my perspective on what "working out" really is. I can go into the gym after a lazy couple months and see results almost immediately, thanks to your advice.

Anyway. I have returned to these forums because my gf has been complaining about her image and "not knowing how to work out". The areas she wants to target, and the machines I imagine her having to use, are machines I'm not familiar with (the butterfly leg one for example). I'll give you her spec, what she'd like to improve, and maybe you can help? Her diet is fairly good, she may just need a timeline and routines + how to do those routines (the more detail the better - or if there's a video showing the process, the better). She's like me in the sense that we both learn better if we "feel" how the routine is supposed to feel when done properly, as opposed to necessarily what it should look like in a side mirror (which most youtube vids are).

Height: 5'7
Current Weight: 138
Desired Target Weight: 130 (? she doesn't really know this - thin but fit).

Goal 1: tighten and firm legs (thighs as a priority)
Goal 2: trim just a little off the stomach, and firm
goal 3: firm up ass ;)

She's not trying to go for a female body builder look here. In fact, I think she's fine. She thinks she needs a bit of work, so we're not talking about a massive overhaul here. But do what you will with this information. Again, targeting the legs and stomach, and butt region + calves. To round out the workout, I don't think she would be opposed to some toning on the arms etc.

I've had some luck on jsp lately. I'll throw you some more fg, because you deserve it...and I'm kind of asking for a lot with this one. Thanks!

Hey there,

Here is ALL that you will need:

Female Training Guide

Basic Guidelines –
1. Perform each rep slow and controlled, focusing on the squeeze each time.
2. If you feel pain (not a burn, but pain), stop and readjust your position or reduce the weight.
3. Take only 12-20 seconds between sets (the shorter the rest, the more calories you burn).
4. Never work out on a full stomach, eat approximately 1-1.5 hours before working out.
5. If you feel like you’re going to throw up, run cold water on the back of your head.
6. Do at least 30 minutes of strength training and 30 minutes of cardio every time you go.
7. Go to as many classes as you like, but you still need to do 60 mins of weights/cardio.

Note: All exercises will be performed for 5 sets each, but done in a specific way to encourage muscular failure. Begin each exercise with a 15-20 rep warm up set. Then begin your set with moderate weight and go until failure. Take 12-20 seconds, then increase the weight and go again until failure, take another 12-20 seconds, then increase the weight a 3rd time and go until failure. Then you will immediately cut the weight in half, and go until failure one last time with no break.

Monday – (chest/back/abs)

Chest Press Machine, Incline Bench Press, Seated Row Machine or Bent Over BB Rows, Assisted Pullup Machine, hanging leg raises. Follow up with 30 minutes of cardio on the bike.

Tuesday – (legs/shoulders)

Hack Squat Machine, Leg Extensions, Leg Curls, Shoulder Press Machine, Lateral Raise Machine. Follow up with 30 minutes of cardio on the treadmill.

Wednesday – (arms/abs)

E-Z bar bicep curls, Dumbbell Bicep Curls (standing), Dumbbell Tricep Kickbacks, Dip Machine, Decline Situps. Follow up with 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical

Thursday – (Chest/back/shoulders)

Chest Press Machine, Dumbbell Flies or Cable Flies, Lat Pulldowns, Cable Rows, Dumbbell Shoulder Presses, Dumbbell Shoulder Shrugs. Follow up with 30 minutes of cardio on the bike.

Friday – (arms/legs/abs)

High Bicep Curl Machine, Seated Bicep Preacher Curl, Assisted Dips, Cable Pulldowns, Leg Press Machine, Standing Calf Raises, V-Crunch Machine. Follow with 30 mins of cardio on the elliptical.

(Saturday and Sunday OFF – you can do cardio these days, but no weights)

Basic Female Fat Burning Guidelines:

- Burn more calories than you take in

- eliminate sugar and simple carbs from your diet

- reduce carbs overall, and increase protein

- eliminate fast foods and frozen foods

- eat every 2-3 hours

- drink water or diet soda only (or any sugar-free, calorie free beverage)

- drink alcohol as rarely as possible

- get at least 8 hours of sleep a night!!

- Take fat burning supplements like BSN Atrophex, GAT Jet Fuel, or Nutrex Lipo-6

Good overall foods -

Protein - Lean meats like Chicken, turkey, tuna, fish, eggs, lean beef.

Complex Carbs - Whole Grains(all of them, like whole grain breads/pasta/brown rice, etc), Vegetables, legumes.

GOOD fats - Olive Oil, Nuts, Peanut butter, fish, OMEGA 3-6-9 supplements, avocados, etc.

You are going to want to take in approx 300 calories less than you require for fat loss, equal calories taken in to burned for maintainence, and 300 calories more than needed for bulking. To figure your requirements, google BMR Calculator and figure it.

You are going to want to get about 60% from protein, 25% from carbs, and 15% from good fats. READ THE LABELS OF WHAT YOU ARE EATING and keep a FOOD JOURNAL so you can add everything up.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE EATING EVERY 2-3 HOURS (SMALL MEALS)

In addition, make sure you do at least ONE HOUR of exercise each day. Cardiovascular activity like running, jogging, swimming, playing a sport, using a cardio machine at the gym, or lifting weights WITHOUT taking breaks...are all acceptable. See the exercise guide for more info.

Female MEAL PLAN (to cut down to the 110-120 lb area) on NON-WORKOUT days.

Meal 1 - 1 bowl of Kashi Go-Lean Cereal w/ 3/4 cup Skim Milk (250 cals)
Meal 2 - 1 fruit (apple, orange, pear, peach, nectarine, etc) + 1 oz cheese (cheese stick is good) (140 cals)
Meal 3 - 1 slice of whole grain bread + 1 can of tuna + veggies (basically a half tuna sandwich) (280 cals)
Meal 4 - handful of almonds or 1tbsp peanut butter + celery sticks + a fruit (160 cals)
Meal 5 - 1 large green salad + 4 oz chicken breast + 1tbsp olive oil + vinegar (280 cals)
Meal 6 - 1 regular serving-cup of Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt (any flavor) (140 cals)

This is 1,250 cals per day.

On WORKOUT DAYS, she will need to add a protein shake Post workout with 40g protein, as well as a banana or one large serving of fruit and peanut butter (1tbsp) or equivalent fat source. Any of the above items can be replaced with another item of the same equal nutritional value.

Make sure that she drinks approx 1 gal of water per day. It also also preferred to drink 1-2 cups of coffee or tea in the morning on an empty stomach about 20-30 minutes before eating breakfast. This will accelerate fat burning in the morning from fasting all night.

If she eats this, along with doing the proper exercise routine as illustrated above in the training guide, she can stand to lose around 1.5-2 lbs of fat per week and ultimately develop better overall musculature.

In addition, for supplementation please see below:

Female Supplementation:

1. Multivitamin (NOW! Eve)
2. NOW! Super Omega 3 (take 2x pills 2x a day with meals)
3. Twinlab Stress-B complex (take 2 capsules 1x per day with a meal - this product also has 1g of vitamin c which is excellent)
4. NOW! Vitamin d-3 4,000 iu (take 1x per day)

Buy these supplements from Bodybuilding.com for the best price. Google for the 10% off coupon which changes periodically.

For protein shakes, use NOW! Whey Protein Isolate (any flavor).
Jun 1 2016 09:47pm
Quote (Greet @ Jun 1 2016 09:59pm)
Hey buddy-

CKD is going well but two questions/comments

1. Can you give me a 5 or 6-day workout plan I can do with it that is beneficial for cutting
and
2. The carb load day, it's impossible for me to follow that meal plan because I can't just buy all those things for one day and keep them in the house for the next 4 weeks. Is there just macros I should hit, or an alternative meal plan?
and
3. Is the Carbo load/cheat day necessary for it?

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=304396247
Cutting Workout Routine (6 day all equipment)

OR

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=374981873
Cutting Workout Routine (5 day freeweights only)

AS far as the carb day goes, you can do whatever carbs you want, the listed day is merely a suggestion. But yes, you absolutely need the carb day in order to maximize the benefits of keto.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1197419751976197719782039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll