d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1195719581959196019612039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,221.76
Jan 30 2016 07:38pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jan 27 2016 10:55am)
First of all, a true diagnosis would be the best place to really start in fixing your problem. Until then, however, prolotherapy is not generally a good solution. Some people have relief from it, but due to the nature of the procedure, as well as the varying feedback from users, you might actually cause things to become worse.

That being said - if you wake up without shoulder pain, and it progressively gets worse throughout the day, what are you doing? By that I mean, what exactly are you doing between waking up and 6pm? Do you sit all day? stand all day? walk? What are your arms/shoulders doing? How is your posture? Do you do something repetitively throughout the day?

Secondly, 3.5 years ago, what changed in your life? What differences began that coincided with the shoulder pain?

Thirdly, are there any physiological changes besides pain (ie: bruising, popping, scarring, discoloration, creaking, etc.) in the shoulders?

Lastly, have you ever been diagnosed with any other medical conditions?

wow, thanks for very detailed response :D

i think i forgot to mention the pain is only in my left shoulder

might just be in my head, but i feel like my left shoulder is shorter in length with distance from my neck. and 100% sure my left pec is much larger than my right pec. it feels like my sternum is slightly higher on left side which i think has helped cause this. not sure if its possibly related to my left shoulder having the pain

when i wake up i am sitting most of the day, long drives to and from school, sitting at school, sitting doing schoolwork and studying for classes reading material from books and computer screen.my posture prob is not the best. im thinking of getting a new chair by my desk to i can have better posture. its an old office chair i bought for like 60 bucks, cheap and it seems worn down a bit. but have had shoulder pain before this chair. i cant think of anything repetitively, other than typing?

i am aware that posture can be a cause of it, so ive tried to make it a habit to sit up straight and keep my shoulders at my side and not slouched forward, but im sure i have slouched them forward alot in the past and still do sometimes, but am trying to correct it.

i was lifting for at least 1 year before the pain started in my shoulder. so i have been lifting weights at the gym for at least 4.5 years. i think the pain was caused by lifting. but just never went away, even when i took that break from lifting.

physiological changes include: if i raise my left shoulder up and then move it down, during the downward motion i can easily make something sort of slide over my upper scapula. it almost feels good to do, like cracking ur knuckles. but id assume its not supposed to happen and im not sure but i think i have more pain like 30 min later if i do that a few times, it sort of aggravates the pain. but i used to do it several times when itd be painful, cause it almost felt like it relieved some pressure and the tightness feeling. but i realized it makes the pain worse later on. so im making a conscious effort to not do it, although it still happens several times a day.

another thing, when i move my left arm extended straight and move my elbow up towards my ear at my side, my shoulder makes a loud cracking/popping sound. no pain with it, but it just feels very weird and not right. or if i bend my elbow and do the movement of an overhead shoulder press, with no weight in my hands, it does the same popping, every single time i do it.

i have not been diagnosed with any medical condition

This post was edited by noob_whacker on Jan 30 2016 07:41pm
Gold: 361.00
Jan 31 2016 06:41pm
Raynlads my shoes have gotten so bad. I know theyve been smelly for a while but i was thinkimg my nose is up high and my feet are down low so its no problem. Anyway,

Today i took a strong whiff and my head was knocked back, my eyes watered and my veins pumped with adrenaline. It was like snorting triple strength ammomia capsules.

Something is wrong. Nothing should ever be so foul smelling, im starting to think they (the shoes) are not from this realm. Something more akin to the plains of despair, worn by the sweaty hooves of a possessed goatman.

How did you get past this stage? If youve ever reached this point in your shoe life - the point of what seems like no return.

Ive tried maxing out blizzard by wrapping them in a plastic bag and putting them in a freezer overnight, which proved effective but only until it thawed. I then went 1 step further with a bunch of cold gc's and used a level 50 blizzard - bagged them and burried it in snow (approx -10 outside) centigrade of course, for 3 days straight. Again the result was the same, smelt great until about 6 hours later once thawed the stench reared its ugly head again.

Next up i went the oppsite approach and tried to kill it with fire. I put them in the sink and filled it with a couple loads of boiling water and let it soak up. For good measure i added vinegar to the mix. Result: after drying no significant difference, after a few sweaty gym sessions they were back at full strength.

Getting desperate, i went to the store and got a packet of baking soda. Absolutely drowned them everyday after gym and left it over night for as long as the stuff lasted. Result: mildly masked, but since its now run out im left fending for myself again

WWRD? (What would raynor do?)

Im starting the feel im harboring the dark lord himself inside these inhuman footware.

Time to throw in the towel and buy new ones? I considered this, but the pull to the darkside is too strong. My squat is going great with these shoes and i cant give them up it seems i need them as much as it needs me. One night when i was retrying the snow coffin technique of freezing i considered leaving them there - an icy grave was quite befitting for the lord of darkness and fire. Either the good lord works in mysterious ways or the darklord truly walks among us because my god damn neighbour shovelled out a pathway through the snow and he hit the bagged shoes - and just like in the fucking movie Jumanji when they bury the game at the start of the movie - they put the bag right at my doorstep

Please help, obi raynor - youre my only hope
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jan 31 2016 08:11pm
Quote (dgkblack @ Jan 28 2016 02:39am)
What's your opinion on osteopathic vs. allopathic medicine? Which have you chosen to pursue?

On a purely educational level, I am an allopath (MD).

However, I believe in all forms of medicine, including allopathic, osteopathic, homeopathic, holistic, naturapathic, and so forth.

There are certain treatments that work tremendously well in each particular methodology. Example, surgical methods are contained entirely within allopathy and are vital to human survival. Natural cures to simple ailments, particularly those without nasty side effects can be found mostly in naturopathy. I can go on...and on....but you catch the drift.

That being said, I encourage everyone to live their life with the fullest care for themselves, from lifestyle choices, diet/supplementation, exercise, medical treatment (when necessary), preventative measures, and so forth.
Jan 31 2016 08:15pm
Quote (leemyungbak @ Jan 29 2016 10:24pm)
Hi Ray,

i was doing cable rows and as I was reaching for grabbing the piece you grip. my feet were already mounted in position on the machine so when i reached forwarded my ankle i guess strecthed into a position that re aggorvated my sprain from 5 years ago. I couldnt recreate the pain unless i "got lucky". Is it too late to repair this since it apparenty healed incorrectly?

It's never too late to fix a problem - it just might be more complex to fix now than before.

Are you currently experiencing pain? Or has it subsided?
Jan 31 2016 08:20pm
Quote (noob_whacker @ Jan 30 2016 09:38pm)
wow, thanks for very detailed response :D

i think i forgot to mention the pain is only in my left shoulder

might just be in my head, but i feel like my left shoulder is shorter in length with distance from my neck. and 100% sure my left pec is much larger than my right pec. it feels like my sternum is slightly higher on left side which i think has helped cause this. not sure if its possibly related to my left shoulder having the pain

when i wake up i am sitting most of the day, long drives to and from school, sitting at school, sitting doing schoolwork and studying for classes reading material from books and computer screen.my posture prob is not the best. im thinking of getting a new chair by my desk to i can have better posture. its an old office chair i bought for like 60 bucks, cheap and it seems worn down a bit. but have had shoulder pain before this chair. i cant think of anything repetitively, other than typing?

i am aware that posture can be a cause of it, so ive tried to make it a habit to sit up straight and keep my shoulders at my side and not slouched forward, but im sure i have slouched them forward alot in the past and still do sometimes, but am trying to correct it.

i was lifting for at least 1 year before the pain started in my shoulder. so i have been lifting weights at the gym for at least 4.5 years. i think the pain was caused by lifting. but just never went away, even when i took that break from lifting.

physiological changes include: if i raise my left shoulder up and then move it down, during the downward motion i can easily make something sort of slide over my upper scapula. it almost feels good to do, like cracking ur knuckles. but id assume its not supposed to happen and im not sure but i think i have more pain like 30 min later if i do that a few times, it sort of aggravates the pain. but i used to do it several times when itd be painful, cause it almost felt like it relieved some pressure and the tightness feeling. but i realized it makes the pain worse later on. so im making a conscious effort to not do it, although it still happens several times a day.

another thing, when i move my left arm extended straight and move my elbow up towards my ear at my side, my shoulder makes a loud cracking/popping sound. no pain with it, but it just feels very weird and not right. or if i bend my elbow and do the movement of an overhead shoulder press, with no weight in my hands, it does the same popping, every single time i do it.

i have not been diagnosed with any medical condition

This sounds like a skeletal alignment issue that has been years in the making. Posture and daily habits provide the largest contribution towards this problem.

As a result, you must first start with correcting basic issues, such as general posture, reduce the time sitting, get a better more ergonomic chair to use for work, stretch and move around regularly at work (between sitting), and so forth.

I would also HIGHLY recommend seeing a local chiropractor (check reviews first). He will take xrays and probably recommend chiropractic adjustments and traction at least 2x per week for the first few months, then reducing to 1 per week, and ultimately 1 per every 2 weeks as you get progressively better. Generally, insurance DOES cover this treatment.

In addition, I would ice the shoulder 3x per day, for 20 minutes each time, and take plenty of Omega-3 (at least 6g supplementally per day). This will help reduce the inflammation of the shoulder and allow it to heal if you are dealing with a sprain/strain/etc.
Gold: 8,221.76
Jan 31 2016 11:52pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jan 31 2016 10:20pm)
This sounds like a skeletal alignment issue that has been years in the making. Posture and daily habits provide the largest contribution towards this problem.

As a result, you must first start with correcting basic issues, such as general posture, reduce the time sitting, get a better more ergonomic chair to use for work, stretch and move around regularly at work (between sitting), and so forth.

I would also HIGHLY recommend seeing a local chiropractor (check reviews first). He will take xrays and probably recommend chiropractic adjustments and traction at least 2x per week for the first few months, then reducing to 1 per week, and ultimately 1 per every 2 weeks as you get progressively better. Generally, insurance DOES cover this treatment.

In addition, I would ice the shoulder 3x per day, for 20 minutes each time, and take plenty of Omega-3 (at least 6g supplementally per day). This will help reduce the inflammation of the shoulder and allow it to heal if you are dealing with a sprain/strain/etc.

ok thanks, but ive thought on fish oil its not good to take that much? i use these, costco kirkland enteric coated fish oils, only do 2 a day though, how many should i do? it says not to take more than 2

Gold: 570.00
Feb 1 2016 12:53am
Quote (Excusemem8 @ Jan 31 2016 07:41pm)
Raynlads my shoes have gotten so bad. I know theyve been smelly for a while but i was thinkimg my nose is up high and my feet are down low so its no problem. Anyway,

Today i took a strong whiff and my head was knocked back, my eyes watered and my veins pumped with adrenaline. It was like snorting triple strength ammomia capsules.

Something is wrong. Nothing should ever be so foul smelling, im starting to think they (the shoes) are not from this realm. Something more akin to the plains of despair, worn by the sweaty hooves of a possessed goatman.

How did you get past this stage? If youve ever reached this point in your shoe life - the point of what seems like no return.

Ive tried maxing out blizzard by wrapping them in a plastic bag and putting them in a freezer overnight, which proved effective but only until it thawed. I then went 1 step further with a bunch of cold gc's and used a level 50 blizzard - bagged them and burried it in snow (approx -10 outside) centigrade of course, for 3 days straight. Again the result was the same, smelt great until about 6 hours later once thawed the stench reared its ugly head again.

Next up i went the oppsite approach and tried to kill it with fire. I put them in the sink and filled it with a couple loads of boiling water and let it soak up. For good measure i added vinegar to the mix. Result: after drying no significant difference, after a few sweaty gym sessions they were back at full strength.

Getting desperate, i went to the store and got a packet of baking soda. Absolutely drowned them everyday after gym and left it over night for as long as the stuff lasted. Result: mildly masked, but since its now run out im left fending for myself again

Im starting the feel im harboring the dark lord himself inside these inhuman footware.

Time to throw in the towel and buy new ones? I considered this, but the pull to the darkside is too strong. My squat is going great with these shoes and i cant give them up it seems i need them as much as it needs me. One night when i was retrying the snow coffin technique of freezing i considered leaving them there - an icy grave was quite befitting for the lord of darkness and fire. Either the good lord works in mysterious ways or the darklord truly walks among us because my god damn neighbour shovelled out a pathway through the snow and he hit the bagged shoes - and just like in the fucking movie Jumanji when they bury the game at the start of the movie - they put the bag right at my doorstep

I have the SAME issue! I've tried the freezing techniques, it didn't work out very well. As soon as I put on mah shoes, my feet get a little moist. Once I took them off in class to let my feet breathe a bit, and lots of people gave me the killer look, so I put them back on quickly.
Feb 1 2016 09:07am
Quote (noob_whacker @ Feb 1 2016 01:52am)
ok thanks, but ive thought on fish oil its not good to take that much? i use these, costco kirkland enteric coated fish oils, only do 2 a day though, how many should i do? it says not to take more than 2

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71erOHg0RSL._SX522_.jpg

Unfortunately there are a lot of "recommended restrictions" with supplements. Omega 3, by itself, it found naturally in certain foods, and will not hurt you in large quantities. However, the concern is the source of the omega-3. I would recommend that you try NOW! Super Omega-3 after you finish the bottle you have. You should take 1-2 softgels with each meal.
Feb 1 2016 09:22am
Quote (Excusemem8 @ Jan 31 2016 08:41pm)

Quote (Bourse @ Feb 1 2016 02:53am)
I have the SAME issue! I've tried the freezing techniques, it didn't work out very well. As soon as I put on mah shoes, my feet get a little moist. Once I took them off in class to let my feet breathe a bit, and lots of people gave me the killer look, so I put them back on quickly.

lmao! You have a serious talent for commentary. You should really write columns for an online news site - it might make people actually take the time to read.

To address your concerns - the problem is certainly bacteria related.

Here is the process:

Shoes compact the foots ability to breathe. Bacteria exists within the shoes, and on your feet. The moisture from sweating, as well as confinement within a non-breathable shoe (I'm assuming yours have poor ventilation) have caused a nasty problem.

Generally, the tighter the shoes and the less ventilation, the greater the problem. To solve this problem, yes, the shoes must be burned for their heresy and the ashes spread in a circle around the squat rack for proper rituals to the gains-god. See look, now you have me doing it.

Back to earth,

The solution here is as follows:

1. Squat with NO SHOES. I highly advocate this, as it is the single best way to build the smaller muscles in the feet and ankles, as maximizing your squat gains through the most natural posture possible. (However, please wear cotton socks at the gym if you'd like to avoid harboring some additional gym floor bacteria)

2. If you insist on shoes, then you need to get shoes that are not too tight and have proper ventilation. Ensure that you wear cotton socks (not polyester) to keep proper ventilation throughout.

3. You can also buy shoes that are treated with microban, goretex, or similar to minimize bacteria growth.

4. To kill existing shoe bacteria, there are plenty of products made that you can use to deodorize and sanitize shoes if they've been moist for long enough to breed nasty organisms. Just go on amazon and check them out and make a decision as to which fits your needs best.

good luck!
Gold: 361.00
Feb 1 2016 01:59pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Feb 1 2016 07:22am)
lmao! You have a serious talent for commentary. You should really write columns for an online news site - it might make people actually take the time to read.

To address your concerns - the problem is certainly bacteria related.

Here is the process:

Shoes compact the foots ability to breathe. Bacteria exists within the shoes, and on your feet. The moisture from sweating, as well as confinement within a non-breathable shoe (I'm assuming yours have poor ventilation) have caused a nasty problem.

Generally, the tighter the shoes and the less ventilation, the greater the problem. To solve this problem, yes, the shoes must be burned for their heresy and the ashes spread in a circle around the squat rack for proper rituals to the gains-god. See look, now you have me doing it.

Back to earth,

The solution here is as follows:

1. Squat with NO SHOES. I highly advocate this, as it is the single best way to build the smaller muscles in the feet and ankles, as maximizing your squat gains through the most natural posture possible. (However, please wear cotton socks at the gym if you'd like to avoid harboring some additional gym floor bacteria)

2. If you insist on shoes, then you need to get shoes that are not too tight and have proper ventilation. Ensure that you wear cotton socks (not polyester) to keep proper ventilation throughout.

3. You can also buy shoes that are treated with microban, goretex, or similar to minimize bacteria growth.

4. To kill existing shoe bacteria, there are plenty of products made that you can use to deodorize and sanitize shoes if they've been moist for long enough to breed nasty organisms. Just go on amazon and check them out and make a decision as to which fits your needs best.

good luck!

Your deeds of valor will be remembered.

Ty rayn
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1195719581959196019612039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll