d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > General Help Archive > Diablo 2 Fails To Load On Mac > The Way How To Solve This Problem
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jul 24 2008 06:12am
I've just tried the fix with the intel GMA X3100 in a Macbook. Because Drivers in newest version Mac Os X 10.5.4 dose not support 256 collors in which d2 works.

And that is how we are going:

------------------------------------

You will need to know a super user's name and password for this to work (it's the one that you would install programs with).

Backup your previous drivers
Copying the driver files in the Finder will not preserve permissions on the files and may cause troubles when trying to return your previous drivers and possibly future updates. The only way I've found that preserves the files identically is via the terminal.

In your Applications folder, open Utilities. Launch the Terminal.
Everywhere where I place [superuser], replace it with your superuser's username (again, it's the account that is used to install programs and OS updates).

Enter the following (spacing and capitalisation is important):
cd /

su [superuser]

<enter superuser password>

sudo tar -P -cf /gfx.tar /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100* /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegrated*

<enter superuser password>

On the root level of your Mac's HD you will now have a file called "gfx.tar". This contains a copy of all the nVidia related drivers that we are replacing.

Restoring the backed up drivers
If for some reason Mac OS X breaks and fails to boot or display anything, you will need to use "Single-User Mode" to start up. It does not load the Finder and will only give you a Terminal.

To access single user mode, you must hold down Apple(or Command) and 'S' at the same time during a restart. When it it loading into singleuser mode you will see just text on the display - this is normal and you will not get to a login screen. What you will see is a ":/ root#" (with possibly mention of a driver loading after it). Press enter once ":/ root#" should remain.

At the prompt type in the following (again spacing and capitalisation is important):
/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

cd /

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100*

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegrated*

tar -pP -xf /gfx.tar

exit

Hopefully it should reboot and greet you with a login screen.

Installing the old working drivers
The drivers that work for Diablo and Starcraft are these ones
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/leopardgraphicsupdate10.html
Click the download link

The download is on a disk image, mount the image to continue. Inside the image is the file "LeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0.pkg". You cannot install this using the installer as they are newer than the currently installed drivers.

To force install these, for simplicity, I'll get you to download and use a program called "Pacifist". You can get it from here
http://www.charlessoft.com/
Click the download link next to the .dmg format.

When it's downloaded, mount the .dmg file, open the disk on your desktop and launch "Pacifist". It has a nag-ware screen so wait 15 secs and click "Not Yet". Click "Open Package". Point it to the file "LeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0.pkg" that you downloaded from the Apple website and click "Open".

Using the tree on the left, expand open the contents of the package. You need to find System -> Library -> Extensions. When Extensions is expanded you will see lots of files. The files you need are the 5 files starting with AppleIntelGMAX3100, and the file AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext. Once you've found them, you need to do one more thing before installing them - delete the old drivers.

To delete the old drivers, click the desktop/Finder and in the "Go" menu at the top, choose "Go To Folder". Type in (casing is important)
/System/Library/Extensions

In this folder find the 5 files starting with AppleIntelGMAX3100 and drag them to the trash (or just out of the folder). Find the other file, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and drag it into the trash (or out of the folder). You will be prompted for the superuser account and password again as these are system files. Remember, I had you back these up.

Go back to Pacifist now and drag the 6 files into your Extensions folder. Make sure "Use Administrative Privileges" is ticked or the permissions will be wrong and then click Extract. Enter the superusers name and password once more.

When it has finished, reboot your Mac to have the drivers take affect. After your restart, to see if they are installed correctly go to System Preferences->Display. You should be able to see a greyed out 256 colours in the list. If this is the case Diablo and Starcraft should now run.

I can confirm it works on 10.5.4 with this trick.
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/6785/screencapturesd9.png
(sorry for that it isnt in english , but I have polish mac version , however you can easy see that it is working smile.gif )
Go Back To General Help Archive Topic List
Closed New Topic New Poll