d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > Bullseye's Rabies/fury Guide! > The Viciously Viral Version
12317Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 25.37
May 19 2008 07:27pm
1. Introduction

1.1 Who am I?

1.2 Why pick a Rabies/Fury Druid?

1.3 Pros/Cons

1.4 Terminology

2. Stats

2.1 Starting stats

2.2 Stats

3. Skills

3.1 Rabies/Fury Layout

3.2 Pure Rabies Layout

3.3 Overview of the skills

3.4 Hotkeys

4. Breakpoints

4.1 Faster Block Rate

4.2 Attack Speed

4.3 Faster Hit Recovery

5. Equipment

5.1 Helms

5.2 Armor

5.3 Belt

5.4 Boots

5.5 Gloves

5.6 Rings

5.7 Amulet

5.8 Weapon

5.9 Shield

5.10 Switch

5.11 Charms

5.12 Basic Setups

6. Dueling

6.1 Basics

6.2 Versus specific classes

7. Thanks

1. Introduction

1.1 Who am I?

I am most known around the strategy & guide forum for my shape shifting guides, this is an updated version of my old guide which can be found in the stickies. I play USWest Ladder, and as of right now own the #1 Rabies/Fury druid on my realm. I believe no matter when you read this I will still own this title wink.gif Other than my big ego I have experience with almost every character type on diablo, excluding paladins because I hate them to death smile.gif Shapers are my specialty and are highly underrated, which is why I am bringing this guide to you.

1.2 Why pick a Rabies/Fury Druid?

Like all Shape shift druids this build is highly underrated but when built right can pack a huge punch and destroy almost anything in a 1v1 duel. You will be able to reach extremely high life, amazing poison damage, and a reasonable amount of fury damage and attack speed. This build is very solid and has very few weaknesses compared to other shaper types, and unlike other poison reliant builds rabies WILL kill them by itself, no need for a dream helm or ranged weapon to get the last hit.

1.3 Pros/Cons

Pros:
Rabies is unblockable
Your rabies will transfer between opponents
Rabies itself can kill the opponent, unlike other poison attacks
Extremely High life
Very high damage
Demolishes many builds in 1v1
Best FHR in the game

Cons:
Not good in Team PK
Stash full of switch gear
No teleport

1.4 Terminology

GM - Good Mannered
BM - Bad Mannered
FRW - Faster Run/Walk
OW - Open Wounds
FBR - Faster Block Rate
FHR - Faster Hit Recovery
FPA - Frames Per Attack
IAS - Increased Attack Speed
eTomb - Ethreal Tomb Reaver
eBotdz - Ethreal Breath of The Dying Berzerker Axe
CCSoQ - Cruel Cryptic Sword of Quickness
Jailbreaking - Having so much FRW that you cannot be trapped by a bone prison you will simply run out of it before it is cast on your character

2. Stats

2.1 Starting stats

The druids base stats are as follows:

Strength - 15
Dexterity - 20
Vitality - 25
Energy - 20

2.2 Stats

Stats for this druid can vary a lot with the different build type you use, so make sure that before you stat your character that you can always wear the gear you may want to switch into.

Strength - Enough strength to wear all gear with all different setups
Dexterity - Enough for Max Block with all setups VS melee
Vitality - Dump the remaining points here
Energy - None obviously, mana won't be a problem

3. Skills

There is two different way to layout your skills for this build, I'll let you decide which one to use for yourself wink.gif

3.1 Rabies/Fury Layout

This layout is the most flexible, and obviously the layout I use

20 into Lycanthropy
20 into Rabies
20 into Poison Creeper
20 into Fury

1 into Wolves + Ravens

Remaining points into oak, this can be maxed at lvl 93

*OPTIONAL - Cyclone armor, this skill absorbs a bit of elemental damage and looks very sexy

3.2 Pure Rabies Layout

This layout is for if you have no interest in fury, This will exchange fury for a huge ar boost. I don't recommend this build over Rabies/Fury.

20 into Lycanthropy
20 into Rabies
20 into Poison Creeper
20 into Oak

1 into Ravens + Wolves

Remaining into Werewolf

*OPTIONAL - Cyclone armor, this skill absorbs a bit of elemental damage and looks very sexy

3.3 Overview of the skills

Rabies - This will be your main source of damage, it will reach upwards to 70k with the Rabies/Fury build and can exceed even higher with a pure rabies build
Fury - Your secondary attack, after hitting them with a rabies and flash switching you will finish them with fury!
Oak - A huge life booster, try to keep him alive and recast him constantly
Ravens - Lovely birds who help you stunlock your opponents! People will often mistake these things as the finishing blow, not knowing rabies itself can kill them smile.gif
Wolves - Your meat shields for the most part, these guys will tank hits for you vs other fury druids + zealers, they will also block ranged attacks like arrows and bone spirits
Poison Creeper - This guy doesn't do a whole lot of damage, but he can really annoy people. Be wary though, he can easily drop games if he attacks while a firestorm is going off or a lot of stuff is on screen.
Werewolf - This is your AR Booster, you can prebuff this skill
Lycanthropy - Your main source of life, you can prebuff this skill along with werewolf

3.4 Hotkeys

Luckily as a shapeshifter you won't need many hotkeys, the placement of them doesn't matter as much as it would on other characters but I advise you keep them in between Shift and 'R' as you will hit those a lot smile.gif

4. Breakpoints

4.1 Faster Block Rate

FBR Frames

0% 9
7% 8
15% 7
27% 6
48% 5
86% 4
200% 3

Stormshield gives you 35% by itself, so you may want to shael that bad boy to boost your frames to 5

4.2 Attack Speed

Remember, shape shifters IAS comes almost solely from the weapon, the weapon choices are as follows;

eBotdz - 5fpa Fury, 7fpa Rabies, 3 Range
Grief PB - 5fpa Fury, 7fpa Rabies. 2 Range
Gris Weapon (3 x 15ias jewels) - 4fpa Fury, 5fpa Rabies, 2 Range
Cruel Cryptic Sword of Quickness (85 IAS)- 4fpa Fury, 5fpa Rabies, 2 Range
Rare Phase Blade (65 ias) - 4fpa Fury, 5fpa Rabies, 2 Range
Rare Phase Blade (>65 ias) - 5fpa Fury, 6-7fpa Rabies, 2 Range

4.3 Faster Hit Recovery

FHR Frames
0% 7
9% 6
20% 5
42% 4
86% 3
280% 2

Normal Setup (86fhr):
50% From Bramble
30% From Jalals
10% From Belt

Caster Setup (42fhr):
30% from Jalals
24% from Belt

Windy Setup (42fhr)
30% from Coa
10% from Belt
5% from Sc's

FRW Setup (42fhr):
24% From belt
24% From Gc's (You will need to stash 2 fhr gc's if you want to use a frw setup)

*Fury damage will be the same as with caster setup, I just fucked the picture up lol

May 19 2008 07:28pm
5. Equipment

5.1 Helms

Jalas - Hands down the best helm for this build

Socket options:
20 Life/15res Jewel
Strength/Dex/fhr jewel
CHAM - Good if you don't want to use a raven!
5/5 Psn Facet

Other setup needs:
Coa
30frw/3ss 2os Helm

5.2 Armor

Bramble in Dusk/AP

Other setup needs:
Enigma

5.3 Belt

Dungos 40/15

Other setup needs:
24fhr/life/str/res belt/OW

5.4 Boots

Aldurs boots - 50% fire res, 50 life, 40frw - Can't be beat

Other options:
IK Boots
Treks (For vsing psn chars)

5.5 Gloves

Trangs - Boosts your rabies damage way too much to be replaced

Other options:
Steelrends (For a heavy fury when using eTomb)

5.6 Rings

There are a few viable options here that are all about taste, switch rings accordingly

Bul Kathos - Boost in damage and life (doesn't get multiplies by bo/oak/lycan though)
Dual stat ring - Huge life boost
Raven frost - Cannot be frozen/ar/dex
Angelics - Always stash one of these

Other setup needs:
Dwarf (sorb)
Wisp (sorb)

I personally use a bk/raven or raven/angelics so that if needed I can BM and use wisps/dwarfs

5.7 Amulet

3ss/100 life ammy - Just an amazing boost in life/damage
Angelics - Keep one stashed for AR

Other setup needs:
Cats eye

5.8 Weapons

eBotdz - This is what I have chosen for my build, the range is great and gives a huge boost in life while retaining decent damage

Other options:
Grief PB
Gris Weapon
CCSoQ
Rare PB

Other setup needs:
Ethreal Tomb Reaver

5.9 Shield

Stormshield - (Socket

5.10 Switch

Dweb socketed 5/5psn facet / 4os Monarch socketed 4 x 5/5 psn facet (Try to get the monarch with -requirements mod or with ethreal + repair mod)
CTA/Spirit (highest bo available) icon_pointl.gif Prebuff

5.11 Charms

9 x Shapshifting skillers with +life (the more the better)
20/xx Torch
20/xx/x Anni
10 x 20 Lifer sc's (Look for mods like AR/Res)

5.12 Basic Setups

For socketing options check the above gear listings

Melee/Pub Setup

Helm - Jalals
Armor - Bramble
Shield - Stormshield
Belt - Dungos
Weapon - eBotdz
Boots - IK Boots
Gloves - Trangs
Rings - bk/raven
Amulet - 3ss/100life

Switch -
Dweb
20/20 monarch

Charms -
9 x Shapeshifting Lifers
Anni
Torch
10 x 20 Life/ar sc's

*Note - Ammy/ring may be switched with angelics when dueling a barb or pally

Caster/Elemental Setup

Helm - Jalals
Armor - Enigma
Belt - 24fhr/life/res/res belt
Weapon - eTomb
Boots - Aldurs boots
Gloves - Trangs
Rings - bk/raven
Amulet - 3ss/100life

Switch -
Dweb
20/20 monarch

Charms -
9 x Shapeshifting Lifers
Anni
Torch
10 x 20 Life/res sc's

*Note - Bk ring may need to be switched with a sorb ring (Dwarfs/wisp)

FRW Setup

Helm - 30frw/3ss/2os Helm
Armor - Enigma
Belt - 24fhr/life/str/res/ow
Weapon - eTomb
Boots - Aldurs
Gloves - Trangs
Rings - bk/raven
Amulet - Cats eye

Switch -
Dweb
20/20 monarch

Charms -
7 x Shapeshifting Lifers, 2 x 12fhr shapeshifting Gc's
Anni
Torch
10 x 20 Life/ar-res sc's

*Note - Bk ring may need to be switched with a sorb ring (Dwarfs/wisp)

Vs Windy Setup

Yes, windy is so special it gets a separate setup!

Helm - Coa
Armor - Enigma
Belt - Dungos
Weapon - eTomb
Boots - Aldurs boots
Gloves - Trangs
Rings - bk/raven
Amulet - 3ss/100life

Switch -
Dweb
20/20 monarch

9 x Shapeshifting Lifers
Anni
Torch
9 x 20 Life/res sc's, 2 x 5fhr sc's

6. Dueling

6.1 Basics

Here are some basic tips to keep in mind when dueling with your druid

1. Bo'ing your oak increases it's skill by 1 as well, which means more life for you
2. Always recast Cyclone armor before dueling
3. Recast oak as much as possible
4. Feral off monsters if they didn't clear the field
5. Be patient

6.2 Versus specific classes

* = Melee Setup
** = Caster Setup
*** = FRW Setup
ø = Windy setup

Amazon's

MEDIUM *** Plaguezon - They will die 1 hit but dont chase them in a straight line, let them come into your screen to throw plague

EASY ** Javazon/FC Javazon - Sorb if they FC, They should die in 1 Rabies, you won't have to hit and run though fury should be enough to dodge lock them until they die.

EASY *** Bowzon (Hybrid) - Zig zag chase when they fire arrows, they will die in 1 rabies but if they have more frw than you it will be a problem, use a frw setup vs them with eBotdz/stormshield and they will die fast. They're java switch won't help at all since rabies is unblockable

EASY *** Bowzon (Glass cannon) - Zig zag chase when they fire arrows, they will die in 1 rabies but if they have more frw than you it will be a problem, use a frw setup vs them with eBotdz/stormshield and they will die fast.

Assassin's

HARD * or ** Hybrid - Basically the same strategy as a trapsin but they can also ww away from you making it quite hard to win this duel

MEDIUM * or ** Trapsin - Stack res and you will be fine, it's really a tossup with this duel. Circle their traps and if they don't tele well enough you can rabies the shadow, it will transfer to the sin after she teles again

Trapsins and hybridsins have two different setup styles you can use depending if you want max fhr and damage (Melee setup) or Max res and range (Caster setup)

EASY * Ghost - Their traps won't FHR Lock you well and you have a greater range then they do, this should be an easy duel but dont simply chase them and let them whirlwind away from you. Lead them in a bit before you attack

EASY * Kickers - Walk in the park, They won't fhr lock you

Necromancer's

MEDIUM - HARD *** PnB Necros - This all depends if they are bm or gm. If the necros BM with prison attempt to feral off the first prison, after that you can "Jailbreak" out of the next prisons and should be able to kill them. If they are GM and don't use prison then circle them and keep wolves up to block spirits. Feel them out and make your move.

EASY - MEDIUM *** Poison Necro's - Play defensively, they aren't very hard if they don't prison. If they do then use the same strategy you do vs bone necros and attampt to prison break

EASY * Summon necros - They're minion stack will be destroyed after 1 Rabies, and without minions they are nothing

Barbarian's

MEDIUM * BvB's - They can be a challenge, Hit and run vs them if you have to, but vs most you shouldn't have to

EASY * BvC's - Only the best geared BvC's should bring you past half life, there isn't too much strategy used here though

EASY * Singer's - They can't FHR lock you, don't worry about them at all

Paladin's

HARD * or ** Hammerdins - Always attack from the bottom, wait for an opening and making sure you don't NL and follow them into a string of hammers, this will be a hard duel but not impossible

If they aren't libby's you can use your caster setup to increase your range and fury damage, but you will sacrifice some life and damage

HARD * Smiters - walk from them and let them try to charge you, when they do attempt a rabies and walk away even if it doesn't hit them, you can't afford to be smited in the face too much

HARD ** Auradins - Technically they are only hard if the constantly run from you, if you can catch them it usually ends in 1-2 Rabies

HARD ** V/t's - They will create more openings than smiters do, try to catch them as they are fohing you and they will die in 1-2 rabies

EASY ** Foh'dins - They cannot kill you with foh, after you are at 1 life you will shift into human form and can reshift back into a wolf after they foh you again. This will end in 1-2 Rabies

Sorceress

EASY ** or *** All sorcs are easy-medium with res gear on, ENJOY YOUR DINNER! Make sure you bait them in, it will most likely end after you are very low health but they will die in 1 rabies

Druid's

MEDIUM - HARD ø Windies - Play defensively and don't let them catch you without your oak out

MEDIUM * Rabies/Fury - 50-50 Make up your own strategies happy.gif

MEDIUM * FC Bears - Play defensively and you will win

7. Thanks

I'd like to thank Kiba for first getting me interested in Rabies/fury druids, also i would like to thank anyone who posts in this guide with constructive criticisms or positive comments happy.gif

Bullseye "VICIOUSLY VIRAL" Pwnage

Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
May 19 2008 07:48pm
Once again amazing guide wish i still played diablo i would make one :S
Gold: 3,209.94
May 19 2008 07:50pm
This is a very nice guide smile.gif

What's that fire extinguisher shooting out? It looks like green smoke.
Gold: 5,139.00
May 19 2008 07:55pm
yup amazing guide smile.gif

This post was edited by Radas on May 19 2008 07:56pm
Gold: 180.00
May 19 2008 08:00pm
i made one of these last season and they are very fun. this is a great guide, awesome work.

i was just wondering. if i can't afford an eth tombreaver, how does an eth ribcracker do? thanks.
Gold: 3,209.94
May 19 2008 08:01pm
Quote (mokujon @ Mon, May 19 2008, 10:00pm)
i made one of these last season and they are very fun.  this is a great guide,  awesome work. 

i was just wondering.  if i can't afford an eth tombreaver,  how does an eth ribcracker do?  thanks.

Ribcracker is for PvM only, use an EBOTD Greaterpoleaxe if you can't afford ETOMB.
Gold: 2,323.96
May 19 2008 08:34pm
ur guide makes me want to make one myself biggrin.gif
Gold: 2.50
May 19 2008 08:56pm
Seen it before on east, not executed with quite as much ownage..but nonetheless it did a fair job and I wanted to build one but never did..now that their is a guide..I may very well consider this as i was thinking of coming back to d2 a lil for casual play..what would you estimate is the least amount of fg you can get by with and still have this build be effective? I assume its going to be somewhat expensive to do correctly..but im hoping not an insane amount.

This post was edited by TheNextBestThing on May 19 2008 09:23pm
May 19 2008 09:10pm
Quote (anh88 @ Mon, May 19 2008, 07:34pm)
ur guide makes me want to make one myself biggrin.gif

do it!
Quote (Radas @ Mon, May 19 2008, 06:55pm)
yup amazing guide smile.gif

tyvm

Quote (Myrddrall9 @ Mon, May 19 2008, 06:50pm)
This is a very nice guide smile.gif

What's that fire extinguisher shooting out?  It looks like green smoke.

I photoshopped it green lol

Quote (wesley123 @ Mon, May 19 2008, 06:48pm)
Once again amazing guide wish i still played diablo i would make one  :S

thanks tongue.gif

Quote (TheNextBestThing @ Mon, May 19 2008, 07:56pm)
Seen it before on east, not executed with quite as much ownage..but nonetheless it did a fair job and I wanted to build one but never did..now that their is a guide..I may very well consider this as i was thinking of coming back to d2 a lil for casual play..what would you estimate is the least amount of fg you can get by with and still have this build be effective? I assume its going to be somewhat expensive to do correctly..but im hoping not an insane amount.

Mine cost me 5k a while ago ohmy.gif should be like 2-3k now for a decent one

Could you edit that quote out of your post so it doesnt take so much room? tongue.gif thanks
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
12317Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll