d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Pvm Mace Whirlwind Mf Barb > Beginner And Lod Convertee Guide
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jan 24 2008 04:00pm
PvM Mace Whirlwind MF Barb

This is another beginner-friendly build that requires inexpensive gear. Aside from being an MFer, this is also a great character to use in conjunction with a Rush Sorc, especially in Hell Act 2 and 3 where the Sorc has problems with Immunes.

Gear
Helmet: 3-Socket PTopaz Helmet
Weapon: Bonesnap / Gull x 2 (for popping corpses with)
Armor: Angelic Mantle
Gloves: Mana Leech 2x FR/LR/PR* 2x+ MF Gloves
Boots: Sigon's Sabot
Belt: Sigon's Wrap
Left Ring: Angelic Halo
Right Ring: Angelic Halo
Amulet: Angelic Wings

* Combination of any 2 or 3 Resists

Stats
170-250 Base Str, Base Dex, Base Energy, Rest Vita

Skills (Level 80)
20 Whirlwind
20 Battle Orders
20 Mace Mastery
12+ Item Find**
6+ Natural Resist
1 Battle Command
1 Increased Speed
1 Berserk***
1 Howl
1 Shout
1 Battle Command
1 Iron Skin
1 Increased Stamina
1 Bash
1 Leap
1 Stun
1 Leap Attack
1 Concentrate

** There's been some discussion about whether maxing out this skill is worth it or not, but in either case, 12 is the minimum amount to add. Whatever is not put into this skill goes into Natural Resist.

*** The only real purpose of having 1 point in this skill is to kill the sometimes Physical Immune Ismail Vilehand and Fire Eye. Otherwise, do not use it to attempt to kill every Physical Immune you see, especially in Hell Arcane Sancuary.

Leveling

If you don't have someone to Chant you, please refer to the method below.

Get the Barb to Level 20, and hit up Normal Cow games to Level 25-30. Once you acquire Whirlwind, put on your Bonesnap and run over Normal Cows, or you can NM Cow with a group to Level 40-45. After this, play with a group through Hell Mode, and be sure to pick up the Travincial Waypoint for MFing The Council, and Flayer Jungle Waypoint in Act 3; you can later use this as a secondary leveling hotspot when no CS Runs are available. The rest of your leveling is done in CS Runs.

Where to MF

There are several great monsters to MF in Hell Mode, and the ones I'm about to suggest are the most common and most efficient:

Rakinishuu - Stoney Field, Act 1
Bone Ash - The Cathedral (via Inner Cloister Waypoint), Act 1
Fire Eye - Palace Cellar Level 3 (via Arcane Sanctuary Waypoint), Act 2
Witch Doctor Endugu - Flayer Dungeon Level 3, Act 3
Stormtree - Flayer Jungle (via Flayer Jungle or Lower Kurast Waypoint), Act 3
The Council - Travincial, Act 3

Be aware that MFing The Council in a multi-player game will take a long time, and from personal playing experience, I highly recommend that you MF The Council in private games, or public games with less than 3 players.

Travincial Bug

There is a certain "bug" of sorts that causes an instant death, and while there are many theories about it, I'll do my best to apply my logical explanation: the creators of the game decided to be mean and equip Gelab Flamefinger (most times it is this Council Member) with the Fire AND Lightning Enchanted attribute, basically making any player that physically touches him instant roadkill. The only way around this is to take on Council Members one by one, leaving Gelab Flamefinger the last Member standing. After this try and place your cursor over him, and pick out his attributes: if you see Fire and Lightning Enchanted somewhere in the list, you have two options: 1. pop the corpses of the other Members, and just leave, or 2. use Berserk to slowly kill him while occasionally retreating to regain health.
Banned
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 10%
Jan 24 2008 04:08pm
thanks for guide smile.gif
Gold: 78.57
Jan 24 2008 04:10pm
Quote (SerHinzed @ Fri, Jan 25 2008, 07:08am)
thanks for guide smile.gif

Gold: 117.85
Jan 24 2008 04:55pm
I built one of these (as you know Ray) and I just couldn't seem to do damage with it and leech enough to live even while popping potions.

I think my downfall was my expectations coming from xpac.
Gold: 185,067.00
Jan 24 2008 04:59pm
Quote (Animage @ Thu, 24 Jan 2008, 23:55)
I built one of these (as you know Ray) and I just couldn't seem to do damage with it and leech enough to live even while popping potions.

I think my downfall was my expectations coming from xpac.

Well you could always try and switch out 1angelic ring with a leech one. Also having max res (+stacked) helps alot especially against travi.

But I think you might be somewhat right regarding your expectations for the build. It isnt as effective as a nice rare martel setup but hey it does its job smile.gif
Gold: 117.85
Jan 24 2008 05:23pm
Heh it was my first classic build and probably my last melee one tongue.gif

Gonna try leveling my hammerdin with zodi's help a bit more.
Gold: 1,074.32
Jan 24 2008 05:26pm
Tip here, lower kurast wp is usually easier then Flayer jungle to get to Stormtree imo

nonetheless good guide
Gold: 2,351.01
Jan 24 2008 05:31pm
uhm..
not bad guide.
imma try it l8er smile.gif
Gold: 4.00
Jan 24 2008 09:56pm
leech/mf rings + chacies + mart with leech works well if you have a problem with pots
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Jan 24 2008 11:19pm
I recommend using a Martel De Fer over bonesnap, you can pick of some extra leech here (with your primary life leech here you can use rare gloves with mana leech, if you have mana leech then you should go for the 10% off of sigons), and because you steal life rather than having crushing blow take it away. I have used martels below 200 for extended periods of time on hardcore, but 220-230 is nicely effective but still cheap to buy, even with life leech.

Great guide Ray, great budget/LoD convertee guide. I will be revising and posting my ultimate PvM barb guide soon biggrin.gif
Go Back To Diablo 2 Discussion Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll