Joined: Feb 24 2006
Welcome to Hell on Earth
(cue dramatic music)
All credit for this guide goes to dirtymerc from the Official Hellgate Forums. I am merely providing some editing.
Demon's have decided their world is not enough, and have paid us a visit. They wanted our fried fish and football. Mean devils...
I am making this guide as help to all those players who come in. A lot of questions are constantly asked in the chats, typically the same ones. If this helps one person, then I'm cool with it. A lot of this stuff is derived from beta experience and learning as you go.Contents are as follows:
Main MenuMain Menu Questions
Common Quest Questions
Mods and Crafting
Party Play Overview
Bots & Beasts
Death and you
- Login: Shugolth is the main server for the US.
- Loading Screen - If there is no progress (the words LOADING does not show) showing up it's not connecting to the server. Check your connection settings and then the forum.
- Screen Shots:
- Screen Shots work, saves in C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Games\Hellgate\Screenshots. May not work for vista.
- Old method: Print screen key, and paste in paint.
Chat Room and Various Commands
- Game Mode: Only selectable for subscription. The two options are now Elite, Nightmare and play mode HardCore
- Elite - Difficulty is greatly increased. Killing something as simple as an Imp Trooper at level 3 will take several minutes.
- Hardcore - Difficulty is slightly tweaked, but death is forever. Hint: pay attention
- Nightmare: unlocked after being the game on normal. Greater difficulty, restarting the acts at the level you left off at the end of Act 5. New items with an replaying of the game from 30 -50.
- Zoom: Facial Zoom works, mouse scroll button activates it.
- No Respec: Any skills points you use, you will not get back. Chose wisely and make them count.
- To delete a character: Click delete, when the text comes up type your characters full name. Then click delete.
- Tutorial Follow it well, it'll explain everything. Including how to level up skills.
- You can not toggle your helmet off
- PVP is enabled. Duel's come as challenges to players. Can be selected in the radial menu when you click on a player in visible range.
- /newbie text: Is your newbie chat station
- /trade text for trade
- /town text: for town / area chat
- /lfg text: for Looking for group
- /chat text: new general chat channel.
- /gchat text: for guild relating chatting
- /channeljoin to join a channel
- /channelleave to leave a channel
- /channels to list them
- /who: players online
- To see the chat screen: You have to open the arrow on the left hand side to open the chat. Hitting enter will auto close it. In addition: Hitting the tilda (~) will open and close it as well.
- In the chat screen your name will be all lower case. It's a visual indicator for you...
- /fps for fps /ping for server ping
- Party Commands
- /invite to invite your friends to party
- /p to talk to them
- /leave to leave the party and /disband to take it apart
- Alt + RMB over characters portrait, Portal: will create a portal to that character's location. Just walk through it and you will load near to or next to where that character was just standing. (Only one of you needs to do this.)
- /W or /T <playername> Will start a private message to that player
- /R Will reply to a player that has sent you a message
- Enter opens your default chat command automatically (up or down strolls through prior messages)
- To scroll up in chat, hold alt move the cursor to the chat, click on the bar to the left side and drag up
- Alt is for the basic gui interaction
- M - map and Alt, then click on the map to drag it around to see other areas
- Tab for auto map, again for full view map, and plus and minus on the keypad increase it and decrease it in size[list]
- -Quest locations will be yellow highlight
- -Possible Quests will be purple ? for story / main quests and yellow ? for side missions.
- -Fans for portals
- -Red Cross for medic
- -Green Money for the Vendor and Builder
- P - Autoparty toggle, use it then enter an instance if anyone else has it toggled they will instantly be partied with you. (Autoparty theory: If they have it on, and they are on the same map as you, they will group with you. Two variables are: toggled on, and same map.)
- Mouse Wheel: Is the third / first person default toggle. This is class based, if you're a Templar for example this won't work for you.
Common Quest Questions
- The fletching economy of this game is still budding. Although here is some helpful tips:
- To Trade - Method 1: This is the best method. /invite the player you want to trade with to your party. ALT + Right Click on their portrait and open a portal to them. (If they aren't already visible) ALT + Right Click on their portrait when in the same area and select TRADE. This will pull up a confirmation window with the other player asking for a trade. Place your items[/b] in the window and once confirmed click [i]accept.
- Method 2: Aim the cross hair's at a visible character, and click on them. Holding the button down will bring up a radial that'll allow you to invite them. Commence step 1 from there.
- Stack's can not be split up manually at this time. Although some people have been using the crafter's menu to split up items. To do this, open up the crafter menu. Select an item with a close to desirable amount of required materials. Place your larger stack into the crafter's window. The crafter will split it, and leave the remainder in your inventory.
- Trade Menu does not allow you to view the specifics on a weapon / armor. Be careful.
- /channeljoin trade-1 and /trade text - Is a safe bet for some trade.
Mods and Crafting
- Holborn Station, talk to Murmur. He opens the quests in the beginning, and after tech smith is finished.
- Convent Market Garden - If you can not find a portal, look in the courtyard behind the small gate. Still not there, re-log.
- Survivor Quest - British Museum: You have to kill the Emperor Gulk. once you leave the portal
- If the area isn't open yet, do more quests it'll open up on your map
- Mind 314 / Exor: To leave you have to exit the way you came.
- Aldwych: its a dark quest, the laser goggles are suppose to make it bright.
- If you can't talk to someone who you need to talk to, zone out and back in that usually clears the mess up.
- Piccadilly Circus: It's large and fully of nasty mobs, but you're looking for a portal.
- Death (areas) - Green Park Station - These areas are near pitch black, be alert.
- Find X type mission: You have to close the distance to him to around 10 meters. It will label the monster as found and tell you the next step.
- If your quest asks you to kill X of Y type, and you need more. Leave the area and come back it'll slowly respawn.
- Nemo, Templar Base - Fawke's Day - 'the gunpowder treason'
- Also: If your quest asks for you to activate X amount of Y type, and there are less, leave the map and come back.
- To reset a zone: Either log out and log back in or join a party (and move to their location).
Party PlayThere is a mode in this game where you team with other places for the greater good./invite playername : To invite a player to your teamAlternatively you can click on them if you see them on your screenIf you do not see them on your screen, Hold + Alt and move your cursor to your other team member. Right Mouse button over their portrait, select portal, go into the portal. You will then load into their area. Loot: "Some info I have discovered about looting and partying:
- Weapons are moded by dragging over the mod and onto the weapon
- Right clicking on the weapon and bringing up the weapon info, will also show you in your inventory what mod can be applied. (This helps at higher levels)
- As your weapons level, your mods do not. A level 14 Rifle, that had max level 13 mods, will lose the abilities gained from those
- Starting off do not sell your items, break everything down. Continue to do so past level 20.
- To break down weapons, right click on the weapon and click the screw symbol. Clicking yes will break it down.
- Low level items will break down into money.
- You can not break down items with mods, you need to de-mod the item first, or sell it.
- The crafter is located next to the Nanoforge. Talking to him/her usually allows you to make items. Her items change at regular intervals check back often.
- weapon mods add more attribute requirements, be warned.
- On the above note, take heed to what you upgrade a level, it also upgrades the stat requirements.
- Blue Prints: Looks like a little blue item with a small screen that pulsates. To use, radial menu and use. Which will bring up a crafting menu for the item.
Loot is individualized for each player in a party, so feel free to loot anything and everything. Loot you see dropping on your screen is completely different from that dropped on each other's screen. This makes for a whole lot more loot to go around, but unfortunately it also means you can't see what other players are getting. I suggest asking other party members to look for good gear for your class and to save it and trade back in town, instead immediately de-constructing everything.
Loot will drop for you if another party member causes it to drop (e.g. by killing a monster, opening a chest, or a breaking a container), but only if you are in the same instance. If you go to town while your party is still fighting no loot will drop for you until you rejoin them." -BlahmanDifficulty: Scales directly to the amount of people you have in your party. A party of two will not have that great of an effect, as compared to a party of 5.Game play
- To dual wield, you need the skill if you do not have it or it is required for your class. To activate it simply drag a 1h weapon over your weapon inventory slot. Then drag another on the other half of the inventory slot.
- F1 to F3 - are your weapon selection slots
- I - For inventory
- K - For skill selection
- Shift and Ctrl are situation controlled. They cycle through random useful skills that would apply to the situation you are in. (example: moving forward you'll notice the shift is for a Sprint and the Ctrl is often for Adrenaline Pills)
- To fire both weapons at once: Open your skills menu, at the bottom there is a series of blue icons. Each representing a different inherent trait. Click and drag the two weapons over your left side indicator. This will make your left mouse click fire both weapons.
- To make a spell assigned to your right click: Open your skills menu, select your desire skill. Drag that skill over to your right side indicator. This will allow you to use that skill with the left click
- To delete a skill from your hot bar: Click, drag and then right click it out in space.
- Banks: are located next to each vendor, they look like storage lockers.
- Hint: aim for the buffer... zombie summoner or whatever... he's your main target
- Beta Cap: Level 22 is the Cap till you register.
- Shielding depletes before Health and Armor doesn't kick in until Shielding is gone.
- Getting stuck: /stuck command
- Hint: Destroy anything that looks, or resembles a box. They often contain money and items.
- Passage Ways: These gems of discovery are largely based on luck and the theory of random play. They break down into three major types. Buried and maintenance are the two major layouts. Buried carries with it the familiarity of Diablo. The pots are round, and the way cut through rocks and over chasms. The maintenance design is similar to the early sewer rooms. Containing several shelves and boxes for plundering. The types break down into three distinct labels.
- Hidden Passageway: These come as a general base. They are a small set of rooms joined together and usually filled with a couple monsters. Often there will be a rare / legendary involved. Sometimes these will look like buried treasure passageways.
- Elite Passageway: These come as a set of rooms joined together but forming a longer chain. Often decorated in a sewer fashion, will hold several enemies. A mid level Legendary / Rare monster will appear here.
- Treasure Passageways: The two types will determine the type of loot. Buried treasure will always hold one treasure chest at the end of the chain. In which case it will be guarded by 3-4 monsters. Maintenance treasure ways will be rooms filled with palladium and several boxes to destroy. There is a possibility of foot locker chest being in the rooms as well.
- Hellrifts: These are the vacuums in which the evil spawn launched their attack into our world. They are portals into another plane that is attached randomly to maps. Jumping into this portals brings you without loading a new map, into their world. Commonly, it will be inhabited by Imps of different caliber. During story line rifts, it usually is inhabited by something greater. Randomly in the non-story ones a separate portal will be generated. These lead into a possibility of these locations:
- Ancient Blood: a citadel like atmosphere to the demon army. Usually will have several appendages that lead off to chests. Enemies in here vary but usually come in a decent number and mixture.
- To be added:
Bots & Beasts
- Phase: derived from Spectral. Being phased means you do half damage but take half more damage.
- Shock: derived from Electric. Being shocked does a small amount of DOT damage while making it unable for you to use a skill.
- Stun: derived from Physical. Being stunned leaves you incapable of doing anything for the time you are stunned. You can be stunned multiple times in a row.
- Posion: derived from Toxic. Being poisoned does not let you heal.
- Ignite: derived from Fire. Being ignited does a 5% damage over time on you.
- More Status Conditions:
- Slow: yellow warp icon appears in the corner, character's speed is reduced.
- Encumbered: heavy object reduces your speed
- Item Usage: Item used in effect.
- Engineer's can have all one of each of the three types of bots. (2 Bots, 1 Drone) Revision: Does not matter if they are from the same line. Example: 1 rocket bot, 1 bomber bot, 1 constructor drone.
- For engineer: a pet will take 1 bot spot.
- Zombot: Happy Halloween Bot, dances the thriller, small and monkey like. Requires:
- 24 Zombot Blood
- 1 Zombot Ticker
- 2 Zombot Organs
- 1 Zombot Blue Print
- Mantawraith / Cocomoko: Funky Pets from the collector's editions.
- Summoner: You can have as many pets as your pool / skills will support.
- When you find yourself at a sudden impasse of health, you are dead. It is bound to happen, and maybe even multiple times. You will find yourself with the following options
- A ~ Pay a fine to spawn back at where you died, which avoids a lot of negatives. Although usually not what just killed you.
- B ~ Respawn back at the last station you visit.
- C ~ Respawn as a ghost and find your tombstone.
- Your tombstone serves as a reminder that you died. More of a way to embarrass you.
- Penalty of Death: 4minutes of reduced XP. Can be avoided if you log out and take a break.
- If you come back as a ghost and find your tombstone, you'll revive automatically. Doing so, you'll only have 10% of your total HP back.
- Yellow items are Uniques the ***** Star Top of the Chain
- The Four Star items are set items.
- Orange Items are legendary, and *** star
- Blue Items are Rare and ** star
- Green items are modified and * star
- The top three items when dropped by a mob, will have a "glow" to them. Picking them up will also give you a musical chime to let you know.
- Luck adds to the drops and spawns. Drops are both common and rare.
- To change your character's armor color: The color of your character's items are reflected by the individual item. If you have one item that glows red with a black color, right clicking on that item and selecting the dropper, will make your entire outfit glow. Spiffy!
- Hardcore Mode: is a challenging level of difficulty for Hellgate: London. In which enemies are slightly increased in strength and hit points. but foremost death is forever.
- To toggle Hardcore Mode - The icon listed next to game mode in character creation will be illuminated. Click it then create your character.
- Hardcore characters will have a red background in the character selection screen, behind the name.
- Characters: Players will have their name in Yellow followed by a sword icon.
- Death is permanent: If you die, your character dies.
- Major Bosses: Have an increase in hit points! (Be warned)
- Stackable with Elite, and nightmare if you beat the game.
- Note: Hardcore players can not group with non hardcore players and vice versa. You'll get a pop up warning about it
- Increase in the damage monsters do, their hit points, their numbers, and more...
- Noticeable increase in difficulty.
- Can be stacked with Hardcore mode, and nightmare (if you beat the game with the mode).
- 'How can I tell I'm in elite?': While there is no icon indicator yet here are some hints,
- Dieing will bring you back to the station and not to where you died.
- Enemies require a specifically larger amount of time to deal with, most noticeable with bosses.
- Character Selection: the blue / red background behind your character will have cross like icon.
- 'Red? and Blue?': Red: is Hardcore. Blue: is normal.
The minigame is located above and to the left of your blue orb. It always consists of three random icons often with numbers associated with them. Each icon represents a different action. http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showthread.php?t=22695
Completing the action the amount of times requires activates the reward. You will hear a chime upon completion and notice one of many things happen. Some things that can happen to you are:
Video Driver Problems
- Several items spawn around you
- Rare / Unique enemy spawns on your map
- Money drop
Update those drivers. It'll make all the difference. I know it solved a lot of my issues upfront. It raised my FPS, made DX10 stable, and kept the game flowing. For Vista: make sure you're up to date. The hotfixes won't apply to you then. If you aren't get those fixes, they'll solve a majority of the out of memory problems. Although it still lurks in the dark. If you have problems report them on the technical support forum.For dxdiag
: Open your run menu and run dxdiag.exe. This will bring up a pop up that will usually immediately start scanning your computer. Once this is finished click on save information. Then save it to a folder, that you can upload it to the forums for the tech savy people to help you with.
This guide brought to you by the letter Q
and late night with lots of Ice Tea.
~ Once again I hope this helps. Any (spelling) errors you see please advise me to correct. Any further advice needed, please post. Grammar does not count as this is a series of rough statements. Will constantly update
. This post was edited by ___ on Nov 7 2007 02:00pm