d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > My Philips 55pfl8008s Only Works When It's Warm
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 0.00
Apr 21 2024 08:47am
Quote (ium @ Apr 20 2024 01:02pm)
I had the windows open, but there were some burnt electricity smelling indeed ;P

I do wonder though, why should it go dead again? Shouldn't the circruits be in place much better now?

I forgot to mention one important part: The old cooler paste on the cpu was really bad, it looked like double-sided tape... I believe the CPU won't heat up as much as it did earlier because of the new cooler paste I used :)

It's because of poor design. The CPU heats up too hot, cools, hot cold hot cold and this causes stress on the solder causing it to crack its solder points. They weren't set "bad" to begin with it was just bad solder/insufficient cooling. Generally an oven isn't hot enough to melt the solder properly so you just likely got the connection barely to take hold.

Of course better paste is going to help but these tvs don't have fans like computers so it's ability to cool is dependent upon the heatsink itself which isn't efficient enough.

These are known errors especially on Vizio TVs.

But yes I've heard some lasting a year or longer with oven bake. You can't ever really know how long it'll last. Some only minutes, some days some months.

Either way, it's impressive you got it to work and since it's so old just keep doing it until it's dead.
Gold: 1,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Apr 21 2024 11:29am
Quote (EazyBone @ Apr 21 2024 03:47pm)
It's because of poor design. The CPU heats up too hot, cools, hot cold hot cold and this causes stress on the solder causing it to crack its solder points. They weren't set "bad" to begin with it was just bad solder/insufficient cooling. Generally an oven isn't hot enough to melt the solder properly so you just likely got the connection barely to take hold.

Of course better paste is going to help but these tvs don't have fans like computers so it's ability to cool is dependent upon the heatsink itself which isn't efficient enough.

These are known errors especially on Vizio TVs.

But yes I've heard some lasting a year or longer with oven bake. You can't ever really know how long it'll last. Some only minutes, some days some months.

Either way, it's impressive you got it to work and since it's so old just keep doing it until it's dead.

Good explanation, very good information that the problem is in the cooling. I might mount a fan on it then! :)

We'll see what happens, interesting experiment never the less :)
Go Back To General Help Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic