d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Network Upgrade
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,029,960.00
Apr 17 2024 02:22pm
Quote (MrSK @ 14 Apr 2024 23:40)
Can confirm, my company sells Unifi wireless access points for most of our clients(usually smaller businesses ranging from 5-200 employees) and they fit all of their needs

Quote (crimeinpartner @ 17 Apr 2024 20:30)
Will add another endorsement for Unifi APs, I run a couple myself and being able to have a hard wired backhaul to my core network was something important to me as I didn't want to run mesh and less throughput the further out I went. What's nice too is that they will support multiple SSIDs and have a setting for client device isolation to further protect any one device from getting compromised and being able to easily infect the rest of your network. Their switches are pretty decent too; I run a POE core switch to power my APs, and have the cheap $30 5 port switches in each of our rooms to connect the devices there. I will say though that I'm not so much a fan of their gateways and in the end opted to host my own OPNsense firewall/router and used a plugin to host the Unifi controller to manage all of our devices from there. But for your needs, it sounds like Unifi will probably check all the boxes.

Lovely. Any specific why not to pick their gateway routers?

Right now they do not have Gateway Ultra in stock in any retailers or on their own site. But I've set up notification on their store. So the plan is to purchase this whenever it's in stock:
Router https://eu.store.ui.com/eu/en/pro/category/all-unifi-cloud-gateways/products/ucg-ultra
AP WIFI7 x2 https://eu.store.ui.com/eu/en/pro/category/all-wifi/products/u7-pro
POE+ x2 adapter https://eu.store.ui.com/eu/en/pro/category/accessories-poe-power/products/u-poe-at
Did consider doing the switches. But there is enough ports on the router to get into all areas needed. And already have a switch on the office going out to server, desktop and repair station.

This post was edited by Roneye on Apr 17 2024 02:23pm
Gold: 188.00
Apr 17 2024 02:33pm
Quote (Roneye @ Apr 17 2024 03:22pm)
Lovely. Any specific why not to pick their gateway routers?

I was an early adopter of Unifi back during their USG line and the features have been going down as they come up with newer iterations. This probably won't be a big deal for most, but I run a more complex network and have my personal trusted devices separated from my IOT type devices for security purposes through what is called a VLAN. In order to make all my IOT devices work, I need special routing trickery which is no longer really possible on the newer Unifi routers. OPNsense in my case is open source and I was able to do what I needed and more, for less than it costs to be buying a commercial router, especially since you can run it on just about any unused computer.

Again though, their switches and APs are great though for the money, and I think in your case, you should be well served by their cloud gateway; it just doesn't really meet my needs anymore with my renewed focus on network security.
Apr 17 2024 02:41pm
Quote (crimeinpartner @ 17 Apr 2024 22:33)
I was an early adopter of Unifi back during their USG line and the features have been going down as they come up with newer iterations. This probably won't be a big deal for most, but I run a more complex network and have my personal trusted devices separated from my IOT type devices for security purposes through what is called a VLAN. In order to make all my IOT devices work, I need special routing trickery which is no longer really possible on the newer Unifi routers. OPNsense in my case is open source and I was able to do what I needed and more, for less than it costs to be buying a commercial router, especially since you can run it on just about any unused computer.

Again though, their switches and APs are great though for the money, and I think in your case, you should be well served by their cloud gateway; it just doesn't really meet my needs anymore with my renewed focus on network security.

Well I don't have the need for a lots of features.
Port forwarding, Multi SSID, sustained load at 1000Gb/s. Things like Wireguard VPN I handle on my local server.
So pretty much just need a plugin and play solution where I can trust security features, QoS out of the box.

Just saw this: Additional internet failover with LTE Backup
Man that is interesting. Maybe something I could take advantage off because I play mostly hardcore in games. Paired with a UPS ofc.

Also love the price. Seems very fairly priced. Something one wouldn't feel to bad about having to upgrade a couple of years down the road if 2.5Gbit because available in the area.
Gold: 188.00
Apr 17 2024 03:00pm
Quote (Roneye @ Apr 17 2024 03:41pm)
Just saw this: Additional internet failover with LTE Backup
Man that is interesting. Maybe something I could take advantage off because I play mostly hardcore in games. Paired with a UPS ofc.

You pose an interesting question, and something you need to ask yourself. How far down the rabbit role are you willing to go here? You mention the possibility of having the redundant LTE internet because you're playing hardcore, but that's only one line in the chain. You still have your router, downstream switches, and even the network cards on your computer, all places that a down device at the wrong time could still cause a rip during hardcore. If you want to really follow this idea through, you'd need to buy two of everything, and make sure the devices support running in this sort of configuration. You'd also need to connect your computer to multiple uplinks and configure the network cards so both could actively send/receive traffic and even if you lost one, the other could still send traffic without missing a beat. It's a fun idea to put together for sure, but with the complexity going up, so does the costs.

So yeah, I would probably say before buying anything, make sure you are clear with yourself what problems you are trying to solve here and that what you end up purchasing will solve those problems.

Gold: 5.00
Apr 23 2024 12:06pm
Asus RT-AX88U covers my house, outbuildings, and half my 10 acre plot. I recommend getting a single high end unit over mesh setup UNLESS you've got metal siding or roofing impacting your signal. More often than not a higher end unit will cover your house and yard with no issues in the 2G band. The 5G band would cover your devices closest to the router.

Asus Merlin wrt firmware kicks ass as well. Supported in many models. Gives additional features for ad block, firewall, VPN, DNS, etc.

Also, can add mesh nodes to this one later if it's needed.

Ive pulled 300+ Mbps at 30 ping through it on Starlink. Should do gig speeds if you've got fiber. Also been able to download at over 100mbps and game without huge latency impacts.

This post was edited by RedFromWinter on Apr 23 2024 12:09pm
May 1 2024 01:27pm
Finally caught it in stock!
Damn VAT though :D

This post was edited by Roneye on May 1 2024 01:28pm
Gold: 455.97
May 1 2024 04:32pm
Quote (Roneye @ May 1 2024 12:27pm)
Finally caught it in stock!
Damn VAT though :D

https://i.imgur.com/RxRTbBS.png

damn, is that 25% of a tax? if my math checks out lol
May 1 2024 06:07pm
Quote (ChocolateCoveredGummyBears @ 2 May 2024 00:32)
damn, is that 25% of a tax? if my math checks out lol

Yup. we have a straight up 25% tax on EVERYTHING in Denmark. It's called "moms".
Gold: 455.97
May 1 2024 06:51pm
Quote (Roneye @ May 1 2024 05:07pm)
Yup. we have a straight up 25% tax on EVERYTHING in Denmark. It's called "moms".

good lord almighty. i've seen value-added tax before, but never knew it was that much!

This post was edited by ChocolateCoveredGummyBears on May 1 2024 06:52pm
May 1 2024 07:12pm
Quote (ChocolateCoveredGummyBears @ 2 May 2024 02:51)
good lord almighty. i've seen value-added tax before, but never knew it was that much!

The negatives of a welfare society ^_^

Haha the gateway ultra went out of stock again almost instantly after my order went through.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll