d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Overkill? Thoughts Plz.
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 14,704.00
Warn: 20%
Feb 6 2024 09:04am
So this is my first build since.... D2 LOD time.

I have been doing lots of my research and I'm wondering if A.) Any of this is overkill or a staple in having a good future-proof setup? I do consider this to be a fun hobby once I get going and eventually plan to do fun little upgrades over time. But for now mainly use for D2R multiple copies, Fortnite, and COD. More games if I get interested. Also some light video editing and graphics work, generative AI capable in the near future. Apologies in advance if this topic has been covered or if my question is simple, I am trying to understand better the world or modern computers but the vast seas of information is overwhelming so I thought I'd crowdsource some information to see if it helps. :D

CPU:I've been torn between various versions of AMD but I think for the gaming benefit I might go AMD (and I've read it's a lot cooler chip than Intel). Bouncing around between AMD Ryzen 9 (7950X3D and 7900X3D). Is the former that much better? I was originally planning to go the 7900X3D route but I read that it doesn't really excel at anything and is just a weird in-between CPU between the 7950X3D and the 7800X3D and not worth the upgrade over the 7800X3D. Again, this is just what I read from internet strangers.. what is the truth?

GPU: is the other big part.. I'm REALLY torn between the following:
GeForce RTX 4070 Ti (Super worth it?)
Radeon RX 7900 XT (XTX Worth it?)

I'm trying to stay in the 700-900 range for GPU and not go crazy with the highest Geforce or Radeon.. but can consider it if it's that much more impressive. I feel like I'm getting so carried away with this stuff and the more I research the more I try to justify needing the nicest things. Are these super cards more future proof or are they for professionals and serious hobbyists only?
So far I've got a good case, 4x16 GB Vengeance ram, Noctua D15, going with LianLi case fans with lights and a 1000W Seasonic Gold+ PSU.

Thanks in advance

Edit: I like to add that futureproof to me is like... 6-8 years without a major CPU/GPU/PSU upgrade.
Also remembered the main reason why I decided AMD over Intel was due to the motherboard socket having long shelflife at AM5 since it is recent.

Edit: Also, at home I use a mini PC(Intel I5) that I got during Black Friday for like $300. It sucks and I can't play anything on it past the lowest settings. I've also been using an I3 with on board graphics card for years prior to that. Recently started gaming when my son picked up Fortnite over a year ago and rediscovered my love for games. So, it's more or less a machine to treat myself for years of neglect, which is why I'm hoping to do it right this time around.

This post was edited by magnummugatu on Feb 6 2024 09:24am
Gold: 3,361.37
Feb 6 2024 10:09am
I'd stick with 7800X3D if you're just gaming, unless you're doing some serious CPU intense tasks. There's no for sure way of knowing how games in the next few years are going to utilize CPUs. I constantly think back to 2nd/3rd gen intel when everyone would recommend i5's (4c/4t) for gaming, a few years later games started to utilize more cores/threads, it's the same every generation though. I remember thinking I'd never need more than 256mb ram, then 1gb and so on.

RTX if you want ray tracing, Radeon for better performance:$$.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 6 2024 10:41am
Quote (WWI @ Feb 6 2024 08:09am)
I'd stick with 7800X3D if you're just gaming, unless you're doing some serious CPU intense tasks. There's no for sure way of knowing how games in the next few years are going to utilize CPUs. I constantly think back to 2nd/3rd gen intel when everyone would recommend i5's (4c/4t) for gaming, a few years later games started to utilize more cores/threads, it's the same every generation though. I remember thinking I'd never need more than 256mb ram, then 1gb and so on.

Slay king
Gold: 8,252.00
Feb 6 2024 11:54am
U godly now with that full power except 4090 is a go for or go for 7900xt to be godly.
Feb 6 2024 01:51pm
Quote (WWI @ Feb 6 2024 11:09am)

I'm also doing other thinsg.. it'll be my main pc where i'll be doing some light graphics/video work as well as some generative ai. Gaming a lot too. But mainly want to view it as 5-6 years of HIGH quality GPU usage vs 2x 3+ years of pretty good GPU usage. I initially wanted more pop so the 7900X3D was where my research left me at.. I am not reading a lot up on the 7950X3D and wondering if that's worth the extra bit? I'd be interested if something like 7950 will be something that can carry me for 6 years -ish.

As for GPU. Idk if Ray Tracing is something that i need or want tbh bc i've never had it. Radeon was where I was initially leaning toward... then the "Team Red" stuff pops up and gets me thinking if I should keep to AMD? For now I think the 4070 Ti Super is where I think I should be, I am not so sure if I need the 4080 or 4090.. that stuff might be for super serious application? Or is someting like those high end cards gonna last me a number of years?

Quote (Haoqdlam @ Feb 6 2024 12:54pm)
U godly now with that full power except 4090 is a go for or go for 7900xt to be godly.

Haha I've read enough to realize godly in 2024 = mid in 2026.. but I think the goal is to not have to upgrade the main components for as long as possible. 7900xt(x) abd 4090 are pushing a few hundred past my target so not sure if I want to take away good money from my monitors fund or not. It would be sad if I get the 4090 and end up with the lowest model 1440p... :wacko: but i guess it would be easier to upgrade to better screens over a better GPU later.. is this good logic or the start of talking myself into parts i don't need lol
Gold: 3,361.37
Feb 6 2024 03:24pm
Quote (magnummugatu @ Feb 6 2024 12:51pm)
I'm also doing other thinsg.. it'll be my main pc where i'll be doing some light graphics/video work as well as some generative ai. Gaming a lot too. But mainly want to view it as 5-6 years of HIGH quality GPU usage vs 2x 3+ years of pretty good GPU usage. I initially wanted more pop so the 7900X3D was where my research left me at.. I am not reading a lot up on the 7950X3D and wondering if that's worth the extra bit? I'd be interested if something like 7950 will be something that can carry me for 6 years -ish.

As for GPU. Idk if Ray Tracing is something that i need or want tbh bc i've never had it. Radeon was where I was initially leaning toward... then the "Team Red" stuff pops up and gets me thinking if I should keep to AMD? For now I think the 4070 Ti Super is where I think I should be, I am not so sure if I need the 4080 or 4090.. that stuff might be for super serious application? Or is someting like those high end cards gonna last me a number of years?

4 more cores for ~$100 more going with 7950 doesn’t sound bad, but like I said earlier, we don’t know whether more cores in 6-8 years will be more beneficial.

Unless you need cuda cores or want ray tracing, I’d go all red.
Feb 9 2024 01:00pm
Quote (WWI @ Feb 6 2024 04:24pm)
4 more cores for ~$100 more going with 7950 doesn’t sound bad, but like I said earlier, we don’t know whether more cores in 6-8 years will be more beneficial.

Unless you need cuda cores or want ray tracing, I’d go all red.

So after a bit of thinking.. I'm mostly settled now on the 7950X3D and the 4070 Ti Super (or RX 7900XT) if it goes on sale in the next few weeks. Planning to take a trip to Microcenter and poke around a bit to see how I feel overall.

Thanks~
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll