d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Might Be Time For An Upgrade, What Do You Think?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Feb 3 2024 02:13pm
I built my PC over 7 years ago now and its run strong, but it feels dated when performing certain tasks and it even struggles running certain games now. I am running 2x 1440p monitors so could be putting strain on GFX card (I've had this setup for , but even multi-tasking these days does not do what I was able to do and now the upgrade itch is here...

Current Specs:

GFX Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW edition 8GB GDDR5X

Processor: Intel(R) Core i7-6700k CPU @ 4.00GHZ

RAM: G skill 16 GB Ram 2x 8 GB sticks DDR4 TridentZ 3200MHz for intel Z170 platform

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4 MOBO

Monitors: 2x Dell Gaming S2716DG 27 Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-Sync

Games I play are D4, League, OSRS (multiple at a time), BG3, D2R and want to future proof my build. I cant really play D4 it freezes then will continue and makes the experience bad. I play on lowest settings.

I do alot of multitasking, will play osrs, watch streams/music, have another game open while i AFK on OSRS. I also do some programming.

Is it worth upgrading now or should i wait for the 5k series cards? Would prefer to go intel/nvidia cards. thank you.
Gold: 3,361.37
Feb 3 2024 03:44pm
Your CPU will be holding you back with any better GPU, it's time for a complete overhaul.
Gold: 435.68
Feb 3 2024 04:33pm
Agree with WWI, you’ll probably have to upgrade everything from your build. I shared a link for someone else in a recent thread that should give you a good reference of what you’ll need: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s2jzGP

I’m also waiting for the 5k series to pick up a 4070, but honestly the prices probably won’t drop much if at all. I’m in no rush to upgrade though so don’t mind waiting :)

Edit: looks like the CPU in my link went up by about ~$70. You might be able to find a better CPU at that price point

This post was edited by MrSK on Feb 3 2024 04:38pm
Feb 3 2024 05:11pm
Quote (WWI @ Feb 3 2024 04:44pm)
Your CPU will be holding you back with any better GPU, it's time for a complete overhaul.

i see. i may try to hold out for a 1 year or 2. i have a laptop i can rely on that is better than my PC. so may do that in the interim as i wait.

Quote (MrSK @ Feb 3 2024 05:33pm)
Agree with WWI, you’ll probably have to upgrade everything from your build. I shared a link for someone else in a recent thread that should give you a good reference of what you’ll need: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s2jzGP

I’m also waiting for the 5k series to pick up a 4070, but honestly the prices probably won’t drop much if at all. I’m in no rush to upgrade though so don’t mind waiting :)

Edit: looks like the CPU in my link went up by about ~$70. You might be able to find a better CPU at that price point

thanks for the build! i may veryt well consider this
Feb 6 2024 05:18am
Many warehouses are going to be pushing out hardware out starting end of march, and selling new stuff end of April, and doing small discounts 4th of july weekend on the newer product.

July would be an OK time to buy new stuff/build .
Otherwise you will probably save 8-10% by next year, if you want to wait that long of course for the small price differences.
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll