d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Lookiing To Upgrade
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 11,181.00
Trader: Trusted
Oct 18 2023 05:52am
Looking to future proof my pc for next few years this is what im thinking

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/k6Jrvj

no budget but trying to find these or similar for cheaper im from canada pc parts are stupidly priced here wondering if anyone knows any good sites

dont need peripherals just the pc

i have a bunch of ssd's i plan to resuse but wanted a m.2 since i dont currently have one

This post was edited by Derek on Oct 18 2023 05:53am
Gold: 1,324.77
Oct 25 2023 11:08pm
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=8d22a46c-336f-4ecc-804a-d02abb5c2b88
I put one together for you that's a little more balanced/biased towards future proofing in gaming as you should spend most of your budget on the GPU and you can bump it town a little in CPU(no game manufacturer makes their games use more than 6-8cores at the moment. Is why the minimum spec in games are like Ryzen 3/Intel lowest 100$ cpu(4cores) for lowest recommended spec, and highest usually being Ryzen 7(8cores) around 300$ roughly.

But looking at your parts list there are some discrepancies in your choices.

For example I have a 5950x(previous generation of your 7950x of this generation) cpu and you should ideally be looking at a 360AIO or better(I think they made 420AIO's now which just has bigger radiator thickness/140mm fans vs 120mm fans.)

Also your motherboard should match your cpu, like the B650 boards are nice, but that's more of a mid tier board.
If you're going for an enthusiast level board, I recommend a X670 board that's matches (around 700$) to compliment your CPU with the vrm phases if you want to overclock one day etc.

The RAM sticks you've chosen are fine, albeit overkill cause 96gb you literally can have like 100 tabs of google chrome open + couple triple A games running at the same time and not hit that GB threshold but sounds like you want to have GG rigs like some of us. Ideally high RAM is for specific workloads, same with GPU RAM size and CPU core count/threads. They're all specific to something, but for RAM sticks the general consensus is 32GB is the new standard, 64GB is enthuasiast level, 96/126GB is for like video editors/content creators etc with multiple programs open and file compression/avec/nvec coding going on for their videos.

The 1TB M.2 is a definitely not enough though, maybe you can use that for your Operating System drive but if you're shelling out 1k for a motherboard/cpu combo you should shell out the 130 for a 2TB or 300 for a 4TB because if you play multiple games like Call of Duty series, Diablo series, Fortnite, Valorant, those titles combined take up about 500-800GB of storage. Trust me don't skimp out on storage size but do price shop/compare for cheapest M.2 and also the largest capicity you can buy.

I would do a little more research on GPU's, having owned many versions from AMD and Nvidia's, I can say AMD gpu drivers suck ass and always has gremlins. Nvidia also has same issues, but better overall resell/future proof because their products are propreitary features like DLSS, ray tracing cuda cores, etc etc. Not to be a fanboy, I enjoy both brands products, but whoever has the best that year I'm upgrading takes my monies. But that 7900XTX here in America is about 950-1000$USD. You can get a RTX 4080 for around 1000-1200$USD currently for the lower tier cards(every manufacturer has their "cheap tier example Asus Tuf" and their "high tier Asus Strix OC" gpu of the same graphics card. Like both are 4080s for example, just one has higher binned chip for overclocking(something you don't need to do for 5% performance increase and 100% loweringuthe lifespan of your card).

That 4000D is kind of dated and small, I'm not sure that graphics card you picked can fit in that case with 3 fans/360 aio in front(but you can resolve that by moving AIO to top exhaust, and just have 3 front fans as intake.
There should be a pdf or image on their websites that show the different configurations of how many fans it can fit(like 3top fans 25mm thickness/3front fans 25mm thickness/1rear fan) and also how much thick an AIO/radiator you can run as that also takes another 25-30mm of space. Doesn't sound like much cause it's in millimeters, but once you get in there, you'll see how tight a case can get when you don't plan properly. But they do show that also like it will accomodate up to 280mm graphics card, or 320mm graphics cards. Etc etc.

Last thing is I don't see a power supply on that parts list, might want to snag a Gold rated ATX 1000watt psu to give yourself some overhead with that CPU choice + GPU choice. The recommended is like 850 probably, but you should give yourself some room to grow because that gpu/cpu will pull a lot of power randomly (called transient spikes) and will pop a breaker/outlet/shut your pc down when the overcircuit protection kicks in on your power supply(shuts your pc down).

Building your own PC can be fun, but also stressful 1st time around. Hope I answered some of your questions, felt like I started rambling so I'll stop here lol.

I'll leave my main rig's spec so you can compare/contrast, it's previos gen stuff but still relevant.

Tower: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo X in White.
CPU: AMD 5950x 16core/32thread processor.
Corsair 360AIO to cool the CPU
MOBO: AsRock X570 Taichi.
RAM: Corsair 2x 16GB 3200mhz CL16
Storage:2* 2TB Samsung 980pros M.2 Gen4 drives (overkill as gen3 pcie is plenty fast @ 2500-3000mb/s read/write speeds and half the cost, Gen 5 storage drives which is current generation cost roughly 1.5x more than Gen 4 storage drives.)
PSU: Corsair RM1200watt platinum(is an efficiency score just get up to Gold is fine).
GPU: Zotac RTX 4080(gonna swap this out for a new card in a year or so)
10x Corsair LL120 fans (3*bottom set to intake(for GPU cooling), 3*side intake(on AIO for cpu cooling), 3*top for exhaust, 1*rear exhaust fan.

This post was edited by vizzle on Oct 25 2023 11:22pm
Gold: 11,181.00
Trader: Trusted
Oct 27 2023 05:03pm
Quote (vizzle @ Oct 26 2023 01:08am)
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=8d22a46c-336f-4ecc-804a-d02abb5c2b88
I put one together for you that's a little more balanced/biased towards future proofing in gaming as you should spend most of your budget on the GPU and you can bump it town a little in CPU(no game manufacturer makes their games use more than 6-8cores at the moment. Is why the minimum spec in games are like Ryzen 3/Intel lowest 100$ cpu(4cores) for lowest recommended spec, and highest usually being Ryzen 7(8cores) around 300$ roughly.

But looking at your parts list there are some discrepancies in your choices.

For example I have a 5950x(previous generation of your 7950x of this generation) cpu and you should ideally be looking at a 360AIO or better(I think they made 420AIO's now which just has bigger radiator thickness/140mm fans vs 120mm fans.)

Also your motherboard should match your cpu, like the B650 boards are nice, but that's more of a mid tier board.
If you're going for an enthusiast level board, I recommend a X670 board that's matches (around 700$) to compliment your CPU with the vrm phases if you want to overclock one day etc.

The RAM sticks you've chosen are fine, albeit overkill cause 96gb you literally can have like 100 tabs of google chrome open + couple triple A games running at the same time and not hit that GB threshold but sounds like you want to have GG rigs like some of us. Ideally high RAM is for specific workloads, same with GPU RAM size and CPU core count/threads. They're all specific to something, but for RAM sticks the general consensus is 32GB is the new standard, 64GB is enthuasiast level, 96/126GB is for like video editors/content creators etc with multiple programs open and file compression/avec/nvec coding going on for their videos.

The 1TB M.2 is a definitely not enough though, maybe you can use that for your Operating System drive but if you're shelling out 1k for a motherboard/cpu combo you should shell out the 130 for a 2TB or 300 for a 4TB because if you play multiple games like Call of Duty series, Diablo series, Fortnite, Valorant, those titles combined take up about 500-800GB of storage. Trust me don't skimp out on storage size but do price shop/compare for cheapest M.2 and also the largest capicity you can buy.

I would do a little more research on GPU's, having owned many versions from AMD and Nvidia's, I can say AMD gpu drivers suck ass and always has gremlins. Nvidia also has same issues, but better overall resell/future proof because their products are propreitary features like DLSS, ray tracing cuda cores, etc etc. Not to be a fanboy, I enjoy both brands products, but whoever has the best that year I'm upgrading takes my monies. But that 7900XTX here in America is about 950-1000$USD. You can get a RTX 4080 for around 1000-1200$USD currently for the lower tier cards(every manufacturer has their "cheap tier example Asus Tuf" and their "high tier Asus Strix OC" gpu of the same graphics card. Like both are 4080s for example, just one has higher binned chip for overclocking(something you don't need to do for 5% performance increase and 100% loweringuthe lifespan of your card).

That 4000D is kind of dated and small, I'm not sure that graphics card you picked can fit in that case with 3 fans/360 aio in front(but you can resolve that by moving AIO to top exhaust, and just have 3 front fans as intake.
There should be a pdf or image on their websites that show the different configurations of how many fans it can fit(like 3top fans 25mm thickness/3front fans 25mm thickness/1rear fan) and also how much thick an AIO/radiator you can run as that also takes another 25-30mm of space. Doesn't sound like much cause it's in millimeters, but once you get in there, you'll see how tight a case can get when you don't plan properly. But they do show that also like it will accomodate up to 280mm graphics card, or 320mm graphics cards. Etc etc.

Last thing is I don't see a power supply on that parts list, might want to snag a Gold rated ATX 1000watt psu to give yourself some overhead with that CPU choice + GPU choice. The recommended is like 850 probably, but you should give yourself some room to grow because that gpu/cpu will pull a lot of power randomly (called transient spikes) and will pop a breaker/outlet/shut your pc down when the overcircuit protection kicks in on your power supply(shuts your pc down).

Building your own PC can be fun, but also stressful 1st time around. Hope I answered some of your questions, felt like I started rambling so I'll stop here lol.

I'll leave my main rig's spec so you can compare/contrast, it's previos gen stuff but still relevant.

Tower: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo X in White.
CPU: AMD 5950x 16core/32thread processor.
Corsair 360AIO to cool the CPU
MOBO: AsRock X570 Taichi.
RAM: Corsair 2x 16GB 3200mhz CL16
Storage:2* 2TB Samsung 980pros M.2 Gen4 drives (overkill as gen3 pcie is plenty fast @ 2500-3000mb/s read/write speeds and half the cost, Gen 5 storage drives which is current generation cost roughly 1.5x more than Gen 4 storage drives.)
PSU: Corsair RM1200watt platinum(is an efficiency score just get up to Gold is fine).
GPU: Zotac RTX 4080(gonna swap this out for a new card in a year or so)
10x Corsair LL120 fans (3*bottom set to intake(for GPU cooling), 3*side intake(on AIO for cpu cooling), 3*top for exhaust, 1*rear exhaust fan.

forgot i left this up i ended up just grabing what i had picked but found dif sites that had better pricing :)

my main game is ark the specs are kinda crazy tbh that an i run vms which s why i went high on some stuff. had a bunch of ssd on my old rig i transferred to my new one thats why i just went with 1 m.2 :P no issues so far runs smooth as hell the case i was a bit annoyed with setting it up cause i have big hands but i like that its compact.

Here are the ARK: Survival Ascended System Requirements (Minimum)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, Intel Core i7-6800K
RAM: 16 GB
VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT, NVIDIA GeForce 1080
DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 6144 MB
PIXEL SHADER: 6.0
VERTEX SHADER: 6.0
FREE DISK SPACE: 70 GB

ARK: Survival Ascended Recommended Requirements

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X / Intel Core i5-10600K
RAM: 32 GB
VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon RX 6800, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 10240 MB
PIXEL SHADER: 6.0
VERTEX SHADER: 6.0
FREE DISK SPACE: 70 GB

Gold: 1,324.77
Oct 27 2023 05:23pm
Yeah man the current high end recommended graphics being a 3080 is probably like ultra settings and/or ray tracing enabled IF the game even has support for it. The current generation 4070 is equivalent to last generation 3080 for example and the 4080 is equivalent to a last gen flagship 3090 ti. Actually beats the 3090ti iirc in gaming performance. The 4090 is still in its own league and AMD has no comparable option to compete. Their highest 7900xtx is comparable to 4080 at best. But they're lacking in features such as Cuda cores, ray tracing tensor cores, software and hardware related stuff like DLSS and frame generation. Even though AMD has FSR if you're into down/upscaling, those settings really do hurt your visual fidelity but if you can't see it with your eyes cause you getting older like I am I just use DLSS or FSR for the FPS boost it gives. If I can see the missing spots or fuzzy spots in a game I turn it off and use the native specs.

You can see the cpu recommendation is modest as the 3600x Is a 6core cpu and 10600k also a 4 year old cpu is 6cores.

Running VMS and servers though do require a lot of computing power so the 16cores and up have a leg up there but if you're only running 1 server for yourself you'll still be able to play/host the server as there are people streaming on twitch and playing games on 8core cpus. Glad you toss in your intentions.

I see the 32gb I mentioned is the "new" high end. But that game probably only runs on like 8gb or so maybe even 16gb of ddr ram(you can verify by running task manager and have your game open to see how much memory is being used up). The 32gb is usually for headroom as most people usually have other background task running + multiple chrome tabs open which all take up ram memory space. But ram is just the bridge between the processor, graphics card, storage drives, etc. It's sole purpose is to store the commands and help facilitate the executes.

Is why there's so many different kinds of ram speeds, sizes, timings, etc. Because super nerds know what it's for haha. Average consumer will just buy the most expensive kit they can get. And sometimes more monies doesn't equal more better as I can fine tune a cheap ram kit in your bios to optimize its processing/computing speeds but if you're not a memory guru you will crash your PC everytime with unstable speeds.

The topic of ram kits for example, they have DOCP or XMP profiles saved on them and you have to go into your bios setting to enable that kits prepared timings etc or else every stick of memory you put in will default to whatever the stock board speed is.

There's literally too many moving pieces to the software end, hardware end is very easy in contrast.

Glad you had fun though. I've built the 3 rigs in my home like wife kids etc so I know how it goes.

Don't be like me chasing next Gen parts every year or 2 as it gets expensive lol.

I've learned to just upgrade gpu to get my buying fix out the way and not completely build new systems from the ground up as it gets costly. If you end up enjoying that hardware process, you can volunteer to help your mates as that also gets your tinkering fix out the way xD

This post was edited by vizzle on Oct 27 2023 05:33pm
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll