d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Need To Learn Python Fast
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,797.00
Warn: 20%
Aug 15 2023 09:07am
and by fast i mean as fast as possible :unsure: i dont care if it takes a year, two years or whatever, im dead set at this shit :mellow: im a doctor so havent really touched anything programming related in like 15 years (basically an absolute beginner), but back in school i was good at programming in things we had back then and i was one of the best mathematicians in the country so i guess i have talent for this :unsure:

i would appreciate help with stuffs like:

1) how much time do i need, if i study python for lets say 6-8 hours a day (im motivated af)
2) what are the best free courses i can take (from zero to being able to find an actual job; note that i live in serbia so its quite easy to find a job due to foreign companies exploiting our low living standard)
3) are there any tricks to make getting a job faster
4) anything ive missed cause im a noob but you think is important

thanks in advance, pls help a jsp brother out ty men :wub:
Gold: 16,380.69
Aug 15 2023 10:36am
not a full blown programmer myself, but maybe my comment can help put some ideas on the table

harvard/MIT offer lectures/courses for free, which you can find on youtube. you can follow along with them at your own pace to learn/gain knowledge of the subject. im sure other schools have these as well

ex: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUl4u3cNGP63WbdFxL8giv4yhgdMGaZNA

probably is most important to learn fundamentals and concepts, then dive into the syntax/language of choice

also have you looked into codeacademy

at some point, would probably be ideal to create some of your own projects and upload them to github to start building a portfolio
Trade Moderator
Gold: 7,984.00
Trader: Mediator
Aug 15 2023 10:56am
Quote (Snyft2 @ Aug 15 2023 08:07am)
and by fast i mean as fast as possible :unsure: i dont care if it takes a year, two years or whatever, im dead set at this shit :mellow: im a doctor so havent really touched anything programming related in like 15 years (basically an absolute beginner), but back in school i was good at programming in things we had back then and i was one of the best mathematicians in the country so i guess i have talent for this :unsure:

1) how much time do i need, if i study python for lets say 6-8 hours a day (im motivated af)
2) what are the best free courses i can take (from zero to being able to find an actual job; note that i live in serbia so its quite easy to find a job due to foreign companies exploiting our low living standard)

Just start with Mimo to get motivated and get a "feel" for it while figuring out which course is good for you.
I know Harvard CS50 is working on a new course that is enabling the use of AI throughout the course as it's a strong learning tool - But there are a lot of different good courses out there so do some research.

As for the timeline it just depends on you - Put the hours in and make sure you understand the basics before making the leap to do something.
Finish the course(s), practice, build a bunch of passion/test projects, get familiar with git, and the trick is you are good at math so it makes things easier - use the logical mindset from math in programming.

Another thing don't be afraid to look at code examples of others - Most of the time you'll have to Google how to do something anyways no matter how good you are at programming so make it a habit to make your code "better" than the examples when you are learning.

As for the hiring the job market in the US sucks right now, typically it gets better in September (that's what they say at least) but it may be a longer process than you anticipate; there is always going to be exceptions but it will probably take some time. Just start today and you'll be shocked at how much you can learn in 2 hours :)

Edit: You will also probably need to learn more than Python so start there, figure out what you like (frontend/backend/etc), and make sure you have a favorable stack.

This post was edited by Sn0 on Aug 15 2023 10:57am
Gold: 0.00
Aug 15 2023 10:57am
I can ask my friend who is a networking something at T Rowe Price.
He was doing school for many years and is interning there and I think will get a job there for sure. He was very focused but worked full time doing other things during his courses and schooling.

He told me they mostly use python/java

This post was edited by straightedgerevenge on Aug 15 2023 10:58am
Gold: 344.00
Aug 15 2023 11:25am
Quote (Snyft2 @ Aug 15 2023 11:07am)

Oh are you talking about real business programming then i cant speak .. but i can say this

Why am i doing it? - need a music generating software specifically tuned to me so i can generate 100 songs and pick one in a single click

Can i afford to do it now? 6 months for the last thing i need for my project

do you understand programming at all? this will justify everything

Gold: 12,797.00
Warn: 20%
Aug 15 2023 05:22pm
thanks brothers! :hug:

well lets see how this goes i guess ^_^
Gold: 45,377.00
Aug 24 2023 11:07pm
Well, if you want to learn Python, you could learn it also by checking Odoo and its source code. That might also get you a job for example in this company:

https://www.odoo.com/partners/modoolar-984196?country_id=49

Odoo is mostly build with Python, but you will also learn about how to build user interfaces.

Source: I am Odoo senior software architect. Let me know if you want to know more.
Banned
Sep 16 2023 06:57am
I am also a software developer and I will recommend you some thing that you must follow to learn python easily in less time.
1. Time commitment that is one important things in your learning.
2. During your learning you need to clear all of your basic concept at one time.
3. Keep patient and dedicate towards learning.
4. If talk about courses you can get many free courses over reputed platform such as coursera, udemy, edX and python.org.
Thanks
Warn: 10%
Sep 16 2023 08:42am
Harvard's CS50 course is completely free and available here: https://pll.harvard.edu/course/cs50-introduction-computer-science
It teaches you the most important stuff about programming and touches upon Python. Once you have a firm foundation, getting deeper into Python is going to be pretty straightforward.
Gold: 4.00
Dec 2 2023 12:02am
Start reading code..

In my opinion.. start looking at things that were made in python and look at the source code and understand how it was written and why it was written..

CS50 ~ is kinda nice ~ I took it and quite honestly.. I didnt get much from it.. Granted I didnt jump off the deep end like youre doing and deciding on python.. I actually went with .js and quite honestly.. JS is both front and back end development and as a python writer / programmer - it could support both and what not.. I think JS touches a little more on the need for specifics like syntax and such that you would find doing C / C# which is something that YOU SHOULD want to learn because C is the fore father of programming language.. I can tell you, from someone who is also learning - knowing how to write in C and knowing the fundamentals of it has helped me with javascript..

Like as an example.. .json is something you will want to know and learn a bit on because most places do use .json and being here on diablo.. d2r is full of .json files and its a fantastic way to read what has been written, make your own edits / mods and see it work in while youre learning it.. becomes more rewarding.. so as long as you stay with it day after day.. really dedicate your 10-12 hours a day doing it about 5-6 days a week.. you could do something for yourself in about 3-6 months depending on how well you can retain and write testable code..

Again, my opinion, people want to see what you can do.. and if you can make something where there is a community actively using what you wrote? It gives them more of a nudge to look in your direction when it comes to even doing an internship ~ which is just more learning! In a business setting.. and thats your foot in the door! So.. if python is your jam? Jam away my dude.. PLENTY of stuff online that is free and a lot of how tos and such regarding languages..
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll