d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > User Blogs > Jupes Reading/listening Blog Dont @ Me
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 2,420.00
Jun 21 2023 07:46am
After Virtue: A Study in Moral Theory, Third Edition
by Alasdair MacIntyre

When After Virtue first appeared in 1981, it was recognized as a significant and potentially controversial critique of contemporary moral philosophy. Newsweek called it “a stunning new study of ethics by one of the foremost moral philosophers in the English-speaking world.” Since that time, the book has been translated into more than fifteen foreign languages and has sold over one hundred thousand copies. Now, twenty-five years later, the University of Notre Dame Press is pleased to release the third edition of After Virtue, which includes a new prologue “After Virtue after a Quarter of a Century.”

In this classic work, Alasdair MacIntyre examines the historical and conceptual roots of the idea of virtue, diagnoses the reasons for its absence in personal and public life, and offers a tentative proposal for its recovery. While the individual chapters are wide-ranging, once pieced together they comprise a penetrating and focused argument about the price of modernity. In the Third Edition prologue, MacIntyre revisits the central theses of the book and concludes that although he has learned a great deal and has supplemented and refined his theses and arguments in other works, he has “as yet found no reason for abandoning the major contentions” of this book. While he recognizes that his conception of human beings as virtuous or vicious needed not only a metaphysical but also a biological grounding, ultimately he remains “committed to the thesis that it is only from the standpoint of a very different tradition, one whose beliefs and presuppositions were articulated in their classical form by Aristotle, that we can understand both the genesis and the predicament of moral modernity.”

Prior to picking up the book, I've listened to a few lecture series over the past year that kind sparked my interest in the overall subject. One was called the 'Meaning of Life' and focused on different traditions and religions of the world. The series started with Aristotle's idea of the virtues and eudaimonia, and it later touched on Stoicism and Epicureanism. From there it also spoke of modern enlightenment traditions (I also listened to a lecture series that focused solely on this) with big thinkers like Kant, John Stuart Mill, etc. So with this in mind I wanted to read something more modern about some of the theories. I have read a couple works on stoic which I have really enjoyed, but I saw this book referenced somewhere as a real masterpiece on virtue ethics so I decided to pick it up.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this book much more than I even anticipated, despite the book not being what I thought it would be; I expected some sort of instruction/guideline discussing Aristotelian virtues. Instead what I got a critique of modernity and defense of the virtues. It covered a huge variety of topics, but the main idea, as I've seen it described elsewhere is: Nietzsche, or Aristotle?

The author essentially dismisses the enlightenment foundation of ethics (Kant and Mill) as morally bankrupt, in the sense that they are not rationally sound - which I believe is part of Nietzsche's critique. Alasdair argues that a reformed Aristotelian virtue ethics, with its focus on a telos (or purpose\function) of a human's life is the cure to Nietzsche's critique.

Some of my favorite ideas in the book:
At one point the author discusses the idea of today's world needing a new, different and modern 'St. Benedict.' I actually only recently listened to a lecture about this guy and his monasticism tradition. From what I remember, he formed the foundation of a certain type of monastery, which the lecturer compared to being almost a type of city-state.
Promise of Stability – a commitment to one’s monastery
Conversion of Morals – living the monastic lifestyle of chaste celibacy and poverty, following the Gospel according to Saint Benedict’s teachings.
Obedience – working under the guidance of an Abbot, who acts as “father” of the monastic community.

~

One summary I read claims that Alasdair essentially predicted the resurrection of Stoicism in today's world; he does mention that the ideas of Stoicism carry on even today. Alasdair dismisses stoicism as the solution we should strive for, as he is more concerned with a telos and virtues that will sustain a community. Stoicism has a focus on an individual living a virtuous life, which in turn will sustain the outside world.

~

To continue from above, Alasdair has a main focus on community rather than individuals. A large part of devoted to the idea of a human's life as being a a narrative, a story.
“I can be said truly to know who and what I am only because there are others who can be said truly to know who and what I am.”
― Alasdair MacIntyre, Dependent Rational Animals: Why Human Beings Need the Virtues

I really like this idea especially in the sense that I think close friends as well as family provide an insight into who we are in a way that we would otherwise be unknown to.

~

Alasdair, critical of modernity, also writes this:
“One of the key moments in the creation of modernity occurs when production moves outside the household. So long as productive work occurs within the structure of households, it is easy and right to understand that work as part of the sustaining of the community of the household and of those wider forms of community which the household in turn sustains. As, and to the extent that, work moves outside the household and is put to the service of impersonal capital, the realm of work tends to become separated from everything but the service of biological survival and the reproduction of the labor force, on the one hand, and that of institutionalized acquisitiveness, on the other. Pleonexia, a vice in the Aristotelian scheme, is now the driving force of modern productive work.”
― Alasdair MacIntyre, After Virtue: A Study in Moral Theory

To put it briefly, duty has been an important subject I've seen referenced in many traditions and philosophies, especially stoicism. But today, I think sense of duty is non-existent for the majority of people today, and Alasdair is right; people work only to feed themselves and their families.

~

These are my thoughts off the top of my head, there's probably much more I'll think about and wish I included, but the book really was superb. I'll definitely take the time to listen to again in the future, and I plan to look into the author's other work.

~

“What matters at this stage is the construction of local forms of community within which civility and the intellectual and moral life can be sustained through the new dark ages which are already upon us. And if the tradition of the virtues was able to survive the horrors of the last dark ages, we are not entirely without ground for hope. This time however the barbarians are not waiting beyond the frontiers; they have already been governing us for quite some time.”
― Alasdair MacIntyre, After Virtue

This post was edited by Jupe on Jun 21 2023 07:55am
Jul 5 2023 06:05am
Of Boys and Men: Why the Modern Male Is Struggling, Why It Matters, and What to Do about
by Richard Reeve

A positive vision for masculinity in a more equal world.

Boys and men are struggling. Profound economic and social changes of recent decades have many losing ground in the classroom, the workplace, and in the family. While the lives of women have changed, the lives of many men have remained the same or even worsened.

Our attitudes, our institutions, and our laws have failed to keep up. Conservative and progressive politicians, mired in their own ideological warfare, fail to provide thoughtful solutions.

The father of three sons, a journalist, and a Brookings Institution scholar, Richard V. Reeves has spent twenty-five years worrying about boys both at home and work. His new book, Of Boys and Men, tackles the complex and urgent crisis of boyhood and manhood.

Reeves looks at the structural challenges that face boys and men and offers fresh and innovative solutions that turn the page on the corrosive narrative that plagues this issue. Of Boys and Men argues that helping the other half of society does not mean giving up on the ideal of gender equality.

I remember listening to this author when he was featured on a podcast and I found it quite engaging, so the book been on my list for awhile. I think a text copy would have been better than the audiobook because of all the stats and info he had, but it was good nonetheless.

I feel like a lot of the information in the book is fairly known, but it was revealing how serious some of the issues really are. Women, on average, are doing significantly better than men in school, and are graduating with college degrees at higher rates. Meanwhile, the types of job that men typically perform are paying less and are less available than ever before (labor jobs mostly.) As the trends continue women are set to earn more income than men, but the (still) widely held opinion of man as the breadwinner seems less achievable than ever before. I believe the author stated that 3/10 married women make more than their husband right now. The author also dedicates a chapter to black men in america and how bananas some of the stats are; high rates of being in prison, fatherless children, and low income. A rather fascinating point was that black women are doing far better than black men.

The author suggests that to fix these issues, boys should be put into school one year later, since boys are are slower to mature. He also suggests encouraging men to join a set of jobs he describes as HEAL: health, education, administration, and literacy. He also sets out on defining a new idea of masculinity, as the previous stereotype of men is unhelpful.

This post was edited by Jupe on Jul 5 2023 06:07am
Jul 14 2023 05:58am
Cynical Theories: How Activist Scholarship Made Everything about Race, Gender, and Identity―and Why This Harms Everybody
by Helen Pluckrose, James Lindsay

Have you heard that language is violence and that science is sexist? Have you read that certain people shouldn't practice yoga or cook Chinese food? Or been told that being obese is healthy, that there is no such thing as biological sex, or that only white people can be racist? Are you confused by these ideas, and do you wonder how they have managed so quickly to challenge the very logic of Western society?

In this probing and intrepid volume, Helen Pluckrose and James Lindsay document the evolution of the dogma that informs these ideas, from its coarse origins in French postmodernism to its refinement within activist academic fields. Today this dogma is recognizable as much by its effects, such as cancel culture and social-media dogpiles, as by its tenets, which are all too often embraced as axiomatic in mainstream media: knowledge is a social construct; science and reason are tools of oppression; all human interactions are sites of oppressive power play; and language is dangerous. As Pluckrose and Lindsay warn, the unchecked proliferation of these anti-Enlightenment beliefs present a threat not only to liberal democracy but also to modernity itself.

While acknowledging the need to challenge the complacency of those who think a just society has been fully achieved, Pluckrose and Lindsay break down how this often-radical activist scholarship does far more harm than good, not least to those marginalized communities it claims to champion. They also detail its alarmingly inconsistent and illiberal ethics. Only through a proper understanding of the evolution of these ideas, they conclude, can those who value science, reason, and consistently liberal ethics successfully challenge this harmful and authoritarian orthodoxy—in the academy, in culture, and beyond.

Prior to reading, I've been somewhat familiar with postmodernist philosophers, such as Foucalt, Derrrida, and Lyotard. More importantly though I wanted to learn more about the connection between these old postmodern thinkers and the new theories that are present today; I have seen people often insult certain ideas as being postmodern, but I've always wondered, "what do they mean by that, exactly?" The same goes for the ongoing ideas of 'wokism' and social justice warriors, etc.

Social Justice Theory
The first part of the book gives a juicy historical introduction of the postmodern thinkers, and how their ideas that have been adapted into new theories that are ever present in modern society. Not only that, but they differentiate 'social justice' and "Social Justice Theory." An individual may care about social justice in a society, but a follower of Social Justice Theory is very specific in their thinking and actions. The author calls these new thoughts and ideas of Social Justice Theory "applied postmodernism" but common words to describe it would probably be 'woke, wokism' or something along that.

Postcolonial, Queer theory, Critical Race theory/intersectionality
The authors suggests these theories as the beginning of Social Justice Theory, and each theory makes use of these postmodern techniques:
Blurring of boundaries and categories
Language as being all powerful
Cultural relativism
Ignoring of universals and individuals

“In postmodern thought, language is believed to have enormous power to control society and how we think and thus is inherently dangerous.”
― Helen Pluckrose

Postcolonial Theory could simply be considered opposition against White European rule; a continued attack against Western values and ideas, and the thought that it is in no way superior than any other society. The idea of power is ever-present, a continuous struggle between the colonized (oppressed) and colonizer (oppressor) as well as the attempt to amplify these oppressed peoples' thoughts and voices.

Queer Theory is rather fascinating as its goal is to disrupt the idea of 'normativity' in discourses about gender and sex. Judith Butler, a famous queer theorist, argues that gender is only a performance. Queer theory is mostly used to deconstruct ideas of sex and gender, argue that gender is not binay (even sex is not) and thus the categories of man and woman are not as simple as one may think. It could be considered a precursor to gender studies today, as queer theory ideas are used in it. Today, I feel like queer theory is probably one of the more popular ideas of Social Justice Theory people are familiar with, because of its usage in trans ideology. People have been quite caught up on the question of, "what is a woman?" and it seems to be entirely because of Queer Theory and its success.
A recent example:
https://nypost.com/2023/06/05/university-of-cincinnati-student-alleges-professor-failed-her-project-for-using-the-term-biological-women/
“Olivia, this is a solid proposal. However, the terms ‘biological women’ are exclusionary and are not allowed in this course as they further reinforce heteronormativity.”

Critical Race Theory / Intersectionality
Often abbreviated as CRT, it is probably one of the more contentious theories. A classic postmodern thought argues that groups of people exist as oppressors and oppressed, and in CRT, it is whites as oppressors, and blacks as oppressed. A white person can be considered racist, because they live in a society and support that society, and that society is systematically racist. These two quotes do a good job of explaining the idea of CRT.

“It is bad psychology to tell people who do not believe that they are racist—who may even actively despise racism—that there is nothing they can do to stop themselves from being racist—and then ask them to help you. It is even less helpful to tell them that even their own good intentions are proof of their latent racism. Worst of all is to set up double-binds, like telling them that if they notice race it is because they are racist, but if they don’t notice race it’s because their privilege affords them the luxury of not noticing race, which is racist.”
― Helen Pluckrose

“Critical race Theory’s hallmark paranoid mind-set, which assumes racism is everywhere, always, just waiting to be found, is extremely unlikely to be helpful or healthy for those who adopt it. Always believing that one will be or is being discriminated against, and trying to find out how, is unlikely to improve the outcome of any situation. It can also be self-defeating.
― Helen Pluckrose

Intersectionality is also a common thought today, often referring to the fact that a person of intersecting groups may face unique discrimination: a black woman may face discrimination for being black, and for being a woman, but it is special in that they may face discrimination for being a black woman. While the idea began with earnest intentions which do ask important questions, intersectionality has seemed to just become a competition for oppression and victimhood, with those making arguments that go something like: Black men may be oppressed by whites, but for black women black men are just as bad as their white oppressors. The same goes for heterosexuals oppressing homosexuals, etc. etc.

Fat studies and ableism
The author goes onto to talk about new up and coming theories that make use of the above philosophical concepts. Fat studies consist of oppressed and oppressors, fat people and skinny people; argues how doctors 'medicalize' fat people. Ableism is equally bananas in some regards as some advocates argue that society 'creates' disabled people and attempts to 'fix' them, which is oppression against normal human beings.

Liberalism vs postmodernism
The authors conclude that liberalism has been responsible for creating and improving societies, and that defending its values is key against illberial postmodern ideas.
“The main tenets of liberalism are political democracy, limitations on the powers of government, the development of universal human rights, legal equality for all adult citizens, freedom of expression, respect for the value of viewpoint diversity and honest debate, respect for evidence and reason, the separation of church and state, and freedom of religion.”
― Helen Pluckrose, Cynical Theories: How Activist Scholarship Made Everything about Race, Gender, and Identity—and Why This Harms Everybody

Overall I really enjoyed the book, a lot of discussion around Social Justice Theory has always seemed bizarre, but as the authors put it early in the book: proponents of the theory see and think of the world in an entirely different manner than most people. And to that point, it definitely shows.

This post was edited by Jupe on Jul 14 2023 06:04am
Jul 28 2023 06:34am
Short Shorts
by Irving Howe, Ilana W. Howe

Picked this up at a thrift store for 25 cents, I've been wanting something to read on short breaks and such.
My favorites:
Alyosha the Pot - Leo Tolstoy
After the Theatre - Anton Chekov
An Episode of War - Stephen Crane
A Yom Kippur Scandal - Sholom Aleichem
Eveline - James Joyce
The Soft Touch of Grass - Luigi Pirandello
The Untold Lie - Sherwood Anderson
The Use of Force - William Carlos Williams
Wants - Grace Paley
The Censors - Luisa Valenzuela

They're all 1 to 5 pages or so, very high quality and comfy, would recommend these ones for sure.

This post was edited by Jupe on Jul 28 2023 06:36am
Aug 9 2023 05:42am
The How of Happiness: A New Approach to Getting the Life You Want by Sonja Lyubomirsky

Learn how to achieve the happiness you deserve

"A guide to sustaining your newfound contentment." —Psychology Today

"Lyubomirsky's central point is clear: a significant portion of what is called happiness . . . is up for grabs. Taking some pages out of the positive psychology playbook, she coaches readers on how to snag it." —The New York Review of Books

You see here a different kind of happiness book. The How of Happiness is a comprehensive guide to understanding the elements of happiness based on years of groundbreaking scientific research. It is also a practical, empowering, and easy-to-follow workbook, incorporating happiness strategies, excercises in new ways of thinking, and quizzes for understanding our individuality, all in an effort to help us realize our innate potential for joy and ways to sustain it in our lives. Drawing upon years of pioneering research with thousands of men and women, The How of Happiness is both a powerful contribution to the field of positive psychology and a gift to people who have sought to take their happiness into their own hands.

I saw this recommended by someone I like so I decided to check it out. I listened to it while I was at work, but I felt like the format didn't work well, or maybe I just couldn't focus on it, so I listened to it again while going on some nice relaxing walks. At the start, the author speaks of the 50 40 10 rule; 50% of one's happiness comes from one's genes, 40% from the actions/choices one makes, and 10% due to life circumstances. The focus on the book is on proven methods to becoming more happy, and how they exactly do so.

The author recommends adopting a few of 12 different strategies, and I'm gonna generally focus on: savoring life's joys, physical activity, practicing gratitude. I've sort of been focusing on these things for awhile now, since the stoic books essentially recommend the similar ideas. And I've been exercising a lot more than I used to ever since I got one of those fancy fitness watches. I've been doing 150+ minutes of exercise each week (not including my physical job.) Gamers rise up.

This post was edited by Jupe on Aug 9 2023 05:45am
Aug 10 2023 09:57am
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
by Jared M. Diamond

"Fascinating.... Lays a foundation for understanding human history."―Bill Gates

In this "artful, informative, and delightful" (William H. McNeill, New York Review of Books) book, Jared Diamond convincingly argues that geographical and environmental factors shaped the modern world. Societies that had had a head start in food production advanced beyond the hunter-gatherer stage, and then developed religion --as well as nasty germs and potent weapons of war --and adventured on sea and land to conquer and decimate preliterate cultures. A major advance in our understanding of human societies, Guns, Germs, and Steel chronicles the way that the modern world came to be and stunningly dismantles racially based theories of human history. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize, the Phi Beta Kappa Award in Science, the Rhone-Poulenc Prize, and the Commonwealth club of California's Gold Medal.

I've heard this book referenced quite a few times, so i figured I'd give it a listen. I really enjoyed it, and I learned a lot about historical developments in the world, regardless of whether or not the overall theory is true.

The book delves into what the author believes were the reasons why Europe came to conquer the world. From plants that produced high yield crops originating in the fertile crescent, to the access of mammals that were subject to domestication; the utility of these animals (esp cows, horses) and how these factors eventually contributed to disease resistant Eurasia inhabitants.

Alongside this, 'idea diffusion' in Eurasia spread inventions and developments across groups of people. Written language, allegedly only being developed a few times in the history of the world, was borrowed from the Sumerians and adopted by many different peoples of Eurasia. Growing of crops, herding, weapons of war, technological advances were all created, or borrowed, or stolen by different groups.

With these in mind, societies evolved from small hunter/gatherer bands and tribes, into chiefdoms, and eventually into states; then fighting and warring for fertile lands between one another, giving way to kingdoms and empires. It is to this end that the author mentions how the first explorers ended up in the Americas, which led to the downfall of both the Inca and Aztec empires.

A lot of consideration is also put into how exactly these environmental attributes ended up being so important for Eurasia societies, and how other regions in the world lacked such developmental advantages. One being that Mesoamerica lacked horses, cows, or any large animal that could provide animal-powered agriculture.

The book was really all-encompassing and I don't think I can do it justice to summarize anything in detail tbh, all I can say is that I 100% recommend checking it out.

~

I'm also going to start listing what I'm currently or planning to listen/read.
Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
The Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith (very slowly mind you)
Conspiracy: Why the Rational Believe the Irrational - Michael Shermer

This post was edited by Jupe on Aug 10 2023 10:03am
Aug 10 2023 02:09pm
was at max pets in house so had to upgrade, gg 1m for magic stone no re

“Much of human history has consisted of unequal conflicts between the haves and the have-nots.”
― Jared Diamond, Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
Sep 6 2023 07:06am
Conspiracy: Why the Rational Believe the Irrational
by Michael Shermer

This was a fun read. I know quite a few schizos who are obsessed with conspiracy theories, and an equal amount who despise the people who do believe in conspiracy theories. The first part of the book focuses a lot on what conspiracy theories are, why people believe them, biases that justify belief, different types of theories etc. While the author (and most people I know) express contempt for people who point to real conspiracies to justify different unproven conspiracy theories, the author does note that certain types certainly do deserve more attention than others - the example being conspiracies involving government. The second part was a mix of debunking popular conspiracy theories, and a guideline of testing one's merit; the last part was about discussing conspiracy theories with people. Overall pretty cool little book, some parts would have been much better to read than listen to though. I really enjoyed the chapter the author spent discussing the conspiracy that kicked off WWI as well, might have been my favorite.

~

It's been awhile since I've updated my blog, I've still been reading and listening to my audiobooks, but I've been jumping around a bit so I've been slow to update. Also the audiobook I'm listening to right now is 36 hours long so its taking a HOT minute.
Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
Dependent rational animals - Alasdair MacIntyre
The Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith (very slowly mind you)
The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined - Steven Pinker

Sep 22 2023 08:23am
The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined
by Steven Pinker

“If I could give each of you a graduation present, it would be this—the most inspiring book I've ever read." —Bill Gates

A provocative history of violence—from the New York Times bestselling author of The Stuff of Thought, The Blank Slate, and Enlightenment Now.
Believe it or not, today we may be living in the most peaceful moment in our species' existence. In his gripping and controversial new work, New York Times bestselling author Steven Pinker shows that despite the ceaseless news about war, crime, and terrorism, violence has actually been in decline over long stretches of history. Exploding myths about humankind's inherent violence and the curse of modernity, this ambitious book continues Pinker's exploration of the essence of human nature, mixing psychology and history to provide a remarkable picture of an increasingly enlightened world.

This was a 10/10 read, or well listen. It was dense as heck, 36 hours or so, and I ain't gonna attempt to summarize it. On wikipedia they have an entire paragraph essay about the book so I'd recommend going there for a summary. Without a doubt I plan to listen to more from this author, the narrative story of the book was so juicy, the writer is absolutely superb.

This post was edited by Jupe on Sep 22 2023 08:23am
Oct 6 2023 08:41am
Dependent Rational Animals: Why Human Beings Need the Virtues
by Alasdair MacIntyre

To flourish, humans need to develop virtues of independent thought and acknowledged social dependence. In this book, a leading moral philosopher presents a comparison of humans to other animals and explores the impact of these virtues.

I wanted to read more by this author because his book After Virtue was so interesting, so I picked this one up. I did really enjoy it as well. First the author establishes the connection between humans and animals. The first being that we possess an animal body and as such we are liable to a host of ailments; and second being that we carry the same initial sense of perception that 'smarter' animals possess. From there he goes onto discuss how language distinctly shapes human rationality, and how it leads us to become 'independent practical reasoners' and develop the virtue of independent thought.
It is by having our reasoning put to the question of others, by being called to account for ourselves and our actions by others, that we learn how to scrutinize ourselves as they scrutinize us, and how to understand ourselves as they understand us.

The author then goes onto talk about virtues of 'acknowledged dependence' and 'just generosity' the former being an understanding that despite our independent capabilities, humans always rely on others and the latter being the virtue of giving more than one receives. The author also focuses a lot of community and our relationship to it. Had some really neat ideas in it for sure.

This was probably one of my favorite quotes in the book.
I can be said to truly know who and what I am, only because there are others who can be said to truly know who and what I am.

This post was edited by Jupe on Oct 6 2023 08:42am
Go Back To User Blogs Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic