d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev12722732742752762039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 42.32
Jan 7 2010 09:31pm
Greetings SKCRaynor. First I would like to wish you a happy new year.
Like every year people make resolutions and fail at keeping them.

I have not made this kind of resolution but I do want to change my life by losing weight.
I am presently 280pounds, I'm 6'3 and 22yo.

I already know that my BMI should be at about 25 and I'm at 35 right now.

Here is the thing:
I want to lose the extra pounds but I really don't know where I should start, I'm playing hockey every week for an hour and half and that isn't enough that's for sure.
I try to stay away from fast food restaurants because it tastes awful and it's not good for the health. I don't drink soda often (Maybe 1L a month Maximum)
I've been wanting to lose weight from a while now because I know it's not healthy but it's always the money that is a problem because I am a student so I can't afford a gym subscription.
Running everyday is not something I can do because there is snow here 6months /12
Training home would be the best I could do for now, until I finish school (they don't have a gym there either :( )
I've been reducing the amount of food I eat and eat more healthy and noticed tiny improvement.

Typical day:

6:30am- Wake up and eat something If I can. (I have trouble eating during the morning kind like if my body wasn't ready to eat)
7:15 to 3:15 School. (lunch break is at 11:15)
6:00-7:00 eat
7:00-11:30 chill out
11:30 sleep

When I eat something in the morning it's mostly something like a muffin, bagel with cream cheese or Mueslix cereals (dry muesli mixture)
Lunch break is 2 sandwich and something on the side like crackers.
I drink water most of the time because I think it's awesome but I do enjoy cola once a while (maybe once a week or two)
And for diner well it ranges between pasta, pork, red meat, etc. I do take second servings when the food is so good I want more but this doesn't happen a lot (maybe once a week)

An example of what I can eat for diner

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pork-and-Green-Chile-Casserole/Detail.aspx

So here I am asking you for help on my quest to lose weight and become someone more healthy.
Thanks for your answer.

Please pm me back when you have answered so I can check out this page :)
Thanks a bunch
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jan 7 2010 09:44pm
Quote (Kiston @ Jan 7 2010 08:25pm)
@ around 14% trying to get around 11-12%, should i just use a EC stack or cut out more carbs? my carbs are at most 90g a day and ive heard that i should be taking in more.

do more cardio...try for 30-45 mins when u first wake up combined with jet fuel or another fat burner.

also do 30-45 mins at the end of your strength workout.

stick to approx 100g carbs per day all in the first 2 meals (complex from oatmeal/brown rice/etc)
Jan 7 2010 09:46pm
Quote (johneybravo @ Jan 7 2010 07:46pm)
okay so im 6'3 195lbs 16year old male, i have a weight lifting/cardio class everyday at school for 50 mins(25mins lifting,25 doing cardio)
i bench-245
squat-340
power clean-210
(yes i know there nothign special)

i was wondering what i need to do to cut down on some weight but build up some muscle. like what else should i do other then my 2+ hours of basketball practice i have monday-friday to obtain more muscle/less fat?
ty for ur itme if u can help ty if not i understand, would prefer an answer via pm but if not i understand

if you want to gain additional muscle you will certainly need to do the following...

please refer to my 5x5 plan...

5x5 PLAN for Strength and Size

The 5x5 plan is basically 5 reps for 5 sets of a particular exercise for most days. Other exercises will be 5 sets of 8-12 reps. You will do at LEAST 20 total sets per day. It will be used in the following manner for 5x5:

Set 1 – 5 reps of 50% max weight
Set 2 – 5 reps of 55% max weight
Set 3 – 5 reps of 60% max weight
Set 4 – 5 reps of 65% max weight
Set 5 – 5 reps of 75% max weight

So if you can bench press 155 lbs for 1 rep, your set would look like this –
Set 1 – 77.25 (rounds up to 80) [155 x 50%]
Set 2 – 85.25 (rounds down to 85) [155 x 55%]
Set 3 - 93 (rounds up to 95) [155 x 60%]
Set 4 - 100.75 (rounds up to 105) [155 x 65%]
Set 5 – 116.25 (rounds up to 120) [155 x .75]

In order to determine your max, however, grab a spotter at the gym, and load up weight until you can only do 1 unassisted rep. That is your 1-rep max from which you will be able to get your 5x5 plan started.
Don’t forget, its best to use a spotter no matter what, but if you can’t the 5x5 is fine to do without one. As for the 5x8-12, you will do moderately heavy weight for optimal burn and pump.
I realize you will be only doing a Mon/Weds/Fri split – but I have itemized your routine for all 5 days should you choose to do that. If you are doing just a 3 day plan – you will have to split Chest/Back as well as Shoulders/Arms.

Day 1 (Monday) - Chest
• Bench Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Incline Bench Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Decline Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Cable Crossovers – 5 sets of 8-12 reps (do not use 5x5 for this!)
OTHER CHEST EXERCISES INCLUDE: Dumbbell Bench Press, Incline Dumbbell Bench Press, Dumbbell Decline Bench Press, Dumbbell Flies, Pec Deck, Weighted Pushups, Wide Chest Press, Overhead extensions. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 4.

Day 2 (Tuesday) - Back
• Barbell Deadlift - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Lat Pulldown - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Seated Cable Row - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Dumbbell Rows - 5 set of 8-12 reps
OTHER BACK EXERCISES INCLUDE: Lower Back Extensions, Underhand High Cable Rows, Rack Pulls, Good-Mornings, Dumbbell Deadlifts, Close-Grip Pulldowns, or Barbell Rows. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 4.

Day 3 (Wednesday) – Legs
• Barbell Squats - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Seated Machine Leg Extensions - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Seated Machine Leg Curls - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Standing Calf Raises 5 sets of 8-12 reps
• Seated Calf Raises 5 sets of 8-12 reps
OTHER LEGS EXERCISES INCLUDE: Dumbbell leg lunges, Leg Hip Abbduction Machine, Leg Hip Adduction Machine, Laying leg curls, Front Squats, 1 Leg Squats. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 5.

Day 4 (Thursday) - Shoulders
• Military Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Dumbbell Shoulder Shrugs - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
• Dumbbell Shoulder Presses - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Dumbbell Front Raises - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
OTHER SHOULDERS EXERCISES INCLUDE: Lateral Dumbbell Raises, Barbell Shrugs, Arnold Presses, Straight Bar Cable Pulldowns, Herculean Pulls. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 5.

Day 5 (Friday) - Arms
• EZ-Bar Curls - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
• Dumbbell Concentration Curls - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
• Olympic Bar Curls - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Weighted Dips - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Tricep Cable Pulldowns - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
• Dumbbell Tricep Kickbacks - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
OTHER SHOULDERS EXERCISES INCLUDE: Lateral Dumbbell Raises, Barbell Shrugs, Arnold Presses, Straight Bar Cable Pulldowns, Herculean Pulls. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 5.

Day 6 – (Saturday) Rest
Day 7 – (Sunday) Rest
NOTE::: Every other day at the gym (3 days a week) you will be doing abs!! You will need to work into your schedule 100-200 reps of ab workout into 20-25 rep sets.
Ab exercises:
Crunches, Hanging Leg Raises, Broomstick Twists, Roman Chair Situps, V-Crunches, Decline Situps, & Knee Raises.

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO A PARTICULAR EXERCISE MENTIONED ABOVE…GO TO THIS WEBSITE: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

as for diet, keep a good clean bulking diet - you can find this within the last 10 pages...please read up!
Jan 7 2010 09:49pm
Quote (bnrhodes2 @ Jan 7 2010 08:39pm)
im assuming this may have been asked before, but i wouldnt even know how far back to look

when it comes to vascularity, are there supplements that help?

i have heard conflicting things on arginine (but then again, there conflicting studies with most things), and have also heard something about it having issues with caffeine?

Yes, this has been mentioned plenty of times.

Aggressive Arginine + Ornithine is the best and safest method combined with hemovascular training.

I would recommend 5g Arg+Orn upon waking up, every 3 hours during the day, prior to workout, post workout, and pre-bedtime.

I would not recommend sodium cycling as it is dangerous....effective...but dangerous.

hemovascular training is training that is conducted to emphasize the pump (lots of failure sets in which lighter weight is used in very slow and hard reps to force as much blood flow to the muscle groups as possible.

Jan 7 2010 09:55pm
Quote (l_l_l @ Jan 7 2010 11:31pm)
Greetings SKCRaynor. First I would like to wish you a happy new year.
Like every year people make resolutions and fail at keeping them.

I have not made this kind of resolution but I do want to change my life by losing weight.
I am presently 280pounds, I'm 6'3 and 22yo.

I already know that my BMI should be at about 25 and I'm at 35 right now.

Here is the thing:
I want to lose the extra pounds but I really don't know where I should start, I'm playing hockey every week for an hour and half and that isn't enough that's for sure.
I try to stay away from fast food restaurants because it tastes awful and it's not good for the health. I don't drink soda often (Maybe 1L a month Maximum)
I've been wanting to lose weight from a while now because I know it's not healthy but it's always the money that is a problem because I am a student so I can't afford a gym subscription.
Running everyday is not something I can do because there is snow here 6months /12
Training home would be the best I could do for now, until I finish school (they don't have a gym there either :( )
I've been reducing the amount of food I eat and eat more healthy and noticed tiny improvement.

Typical day:

6:30am- Wake up and eat something If I can. (I have trouble eating during the morning kind like if my body wasn't ready to eat)
7:15 to 3:15 School. (lunch break is at 11:15)
6:00-7:00 eat
7:00-11:30 chill out
11:30 sleep

When I eat something in the morning it's mostly something like a muffin, bagel with cream cheese or Mueslix cereals (dry muesli mixture)
Lunch break is 2 sandwich and something on the side like crackers.
I drink water most of the time because I think it's awesome but I do enjoy cola once a while (maybe once a week or two)
And for diner well it ranges between pasta, pork, red meat, etc. I do take second servings when the food is so good I want more but this doesn't happen a lot (maybe once a week)

An example of what I can eat for diner

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pork-and-Green-Chile-Casserole/Detail.aspx

So here I am asking you for help on my quest to lose weight and become someone more healthy.
Thanks for your answer.

Please pm me back when you have answered so I can check out this page :)
Thanks a bunch

Hello -

here is a repost from about 10 pages back in the thread...this should help you a lot.

The key to overall fat loss is the following:

- Burn more calories than you take in

- eliminate sugar and simple carbs from your diet

- reduce carbs overall, and increase protein

- eliminate fast foods and frozen foods

- eat every 2-3 hours

- drink water or diet soda only (or any sugar-free, calorie free beverage)

- drink alcohol as rarely as possible

- get at least 8 hours of sleep a night!!

- Take fat burning supplements like BSN Atrophex, GAT Jet Fuel, or Nutrex Lipo-6

Good overall foods -

Protein - Lean meats like Chicken, turkey, tuna, fish, eggs, lean beef.

Complex Carbs - Whole Grains(all of them, like whole grain breads/pasta/brown rice, etc), Vegetables, legumes.

GOOD fats - Olive Oil, Nuts, Peanut butter, fish, OMEGA 3-6-9 supplements, avocados, etc.

You are going to want to take in approx 2,500 calories a day for your bodyweight - in addition to at least 1 hour of vigorous exercise per day (anything, running/pushups/pullups/situps/swimming/aerobics/etc)

You are going to want to get about 60% from protein, 15% from carbs, and 25% from good fats. READ THE LABELS OF WHAT YOU ARE EATING and keep a FOOD JOURNAL so you can add everything up.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE EATING EVERY 2-3 HOURS (SMALL MEALS)

In addition, make sure you do at least ONE HOUR of exercise each day. Cardiovascular activity like running, jogging, swimming, playing a sport, using a cardio machine at the gym, or lifting weights WITHOUT taking breaks...are all acceptable. See the exercise guide for more info.

FOOD NOT TO EAT!
(DO NOT EAT THESE FOODS, OR IF YOU EAT THEM, DO IT VERY RARELY!)

Fast Food – Avoid Fast food at all costs. However if you go into a fast food restaurant and you’re hungry…try to make some healthy decisions. For example, instead of a burger with fries – get a grilled chicken sandwich or a grilled chicken salad without the fries....fries are a waste calories.

SODA – DO NOT DRINK REGULAR SODA AT ALL! Instead drink diet soda if you really like it…but if not, then stick to ice water!

Pizza – sorry, but this is one of the things you really have to watch out for. Avoid!

Candy, desserts, and Ice Cream – Just don’t eat it =) it’s loaded with sugar and no nutrition at all!

Frozen food – typically has way too much sodium and bad nutritional value!

Canned Foods and Soups (including ramen) – Also has way too much sodium and virtually no nutrition.

Dark Chocolate – you can eat 1-2 ounces of dark chocolate per day and actually see lower body fat as a result. But don’t overdo it! Too much and it can start adding weight.

EAT CLEAN!!! THAT MEANS AVOID PROCESSED FOODS, SALT/SODIUM, SUGAR, SAUCES, ETC. All spices are fine except for salt.

KEEP A FOOD JOURNAL!! WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING YOU EAT AND TALLY YOUR TOTAL CALORIES/FAT/PROTEIN/CARBS/SUGAR/SODIUM AT THE END OF EACH DAY TO MAINTAIN PROGRESS!

Sample meal plan (No carbs after your 2nd meal each day)

Meal 1 – 1 bowl of whole grain cereal (or oatmeal) w/ 2% skim milk + 2 whole eggs
Meal 2 – chicken/turkey/tuna w/ 1 cup brown rice
Meal 3 – chicken or lean beef or fish on top of a salad
Meal 4 – chicken, turkey, tuna/fish with steamed veggies
Meal 5 – lean beef/steak or fish + veggies.
Meal 6 – 1 cup cottage cheese or glass of milk + mixed nuts.

You will want about 150g carbs, 300g protein, and 80g fat per day which = about 2,500 calories (perfect for a 250 lb man on a cutting routine doing 1 hr of exercise per day - for every 10 extra lbs of body mass, add 100 calories per day in a 1g / carbs, 4g / protein, 1g / fats ratio)

for exercise, stick to 1.5 hours of intense physical activity each day - whether it be lifting weights/doing cardio, playing a sport, running/cycling, etc - you need to keep your heart rate in the target zone of about 135-140 BPM for a 15-30 yr old male in good health. Don't worry about HIIT or any complex activities for now, just stick to the basics to lose the basic fat you both are asking for.
Gold: 0.00
Jan 7 2010 10:20pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jan 8 2010 03:44am)
do more cardio...try for 30-45 mins when u first wake up combined with jet fuel or another fat burner.

also do 30-45 mins at the end of your strength workout.

stick to approx 100g carbs per day all in the first 2 meals (complex from oatmeal/brown rice/etc)

ill up my cardio to 30 min, but i do hiit 20 min 3 times a week after my strength workouts atm. and i think ive been fuckin up with tha carbs, ive been eating good carbs, but throughout the day :(

morning ill eat a large amount of good carbs, then my two meals at school are like 10g protein/17g carbs each, but every meal after that will have only protein/fats, does this sound good to u? oh and jus curious, why do u reccommend fatburning supps when i thot EC stack was the cheapest/most effective?

oh also, how about simple carbs around my workout? unneccessary for cutting? i usually take around 50g dextrose/sucralose from pre/intra/PW combined with bcaas

This post was edited by Kiston on Jan 7 2010 10:24pm
Gold: 1.00
Jan 7 2010 10:39pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jan 7 2010 07:46pm)
if you want to gain additional muscle you will certainly need to do the following...

please refer to my 5x5 plan...

5x5 PLAN for Strength and Size

The 5x5 plan is basically 5 reps for 5 sets of a particular exercise for most days. Other exercises will be 5 sets of 8-12 reps. You will do at LEAST 20 total sets per day. It will be used in the following manner for 5x5:

Set 1 – 5 reps of 50% max weight
Set 2 – 5 reps of 55% max weight
Set 3 – 5 reps of 60% max weight
Set 4 – 5 reps of 65% max weight
Set 5 – 5 reps of 75% max weight

So if you can bench press 155 lbs for 1 rep, your set would look like this –
Set 1 – 77.25 (rounds up to 80) [155 x 50%]
Set 2 – 85.25 (rounds down to 85) [155 x 55%]
Set 3 - 93 (rounds up to 95) [155 x 60%]
Set 4 - 100.75 (rounds up to 105) [155 x 65%]
Set 5 – 116.25 (rounds up to 120) [155 x .75]

In order to determine your max, however, grab a spotter at the gym, and load up weight until you can only do 1 unassisted rep. That is your 1-rep max from which you will be able to get your 5x5 plan started.
Don’t forget, its best to use a spotter no matter what, but if you can’t the 5x5 is fine to do without one. As for the 5x8-12, you will do moderately heavy weight for optimal burn and pump.
I realize you will be only doing a Mon/Weds/Fri split – but I have itemized your routine for all 5 days should you choose to do that. If you are doing just a 3 day plan – you will have to split Chest/Back as well as Shoulders/Arms.

Day 1 (Monday) - Chest
• Bench Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Incline Bench Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Decline Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Cable Crossovers – 5 sets of 8-12 reps (do not use 5x5 for this!)
OTHER CHEST EXERCISES INCLUDE: Dumbbell Bench Press, Incline Dumbbell Bench Press, Dumbbell Decline Bench Press, Dumbbell Flies, Pec Deck, Weighted Pushups, Wide Chest Press, Overhead extensions. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 4.

Day 2 (Tuesday) - Back
• Barbell Deadlift - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Lat Pulldown - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Seated Cable Row - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Dumbbell Rows - 5 set of 8-12 reps
OTHER BACK EXERCISES INCLUDE: Lower Back Extensions, Underhand High Cable Rows, Rack Pulls, Good-Mornings, Dumbbell Deadlifts, Close-Grip Pulldowns, or Barbell Rows. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 4.

Day 3 (Wednesday) – Legs
• Barbell Squats - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Seated Machine Leg Extensions - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Seated Machine Leg Curls - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Standing Calf Raises 5 sets of 8-12 reps
• Seated Calf Raises 5 sets of 8-12 reps
OTHER LEGS EXERCISES INCLUDE: Dumbbell leg lunges, Leg Hip Abbduction Machine, Leg Hip Adduction Machine, Laying leg curls, Front Squats, 1 Leg Squats. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 5.

Day 4 (Thursday) - Shoulders
• Military Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Dumbbell Shoulder Shrugs - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
• Dumbbell Shoulder Presses - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Dumbbell Front Raises - 5 sets of 8-12 reps

Day 5 (Friday) - Arms
• EZ-Bar Curls - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
• Dumbbell Concentration Curls - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
• Olympic Bar Curls - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Weighted Dips - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Tricep Cable Pulldowns - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
• Dumbbell Tricep Kickbacks - 5 sets of 8-12 reps

Day 6 – (Saturday) Rest
Day 7 – (Sunday) Rest
NOTE::: Every other day at the gym (3 days a week) you will be doing abs!! You will need to work into your schedule 100-200 reps of ab workout into 20-25 rep sets.
Ab exercises:
Crunches, Hanging Leg Raises, Broomstick Twists, Roman Chair Situps, V-Crunches, Decline Situps, & Knee Raises.

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO A PARTICULAR EXERCISE MENTIONED ABOVE…GO TO THIS WEBSITE: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

as for diet, keep a good clean bulking diet - you can find this within the last 10 pages...please read up!

doing this is best way to gain muscle hypertrophy?
5x5?
3x6 with heavy weights is more for gaining strenth not size?
Jan 7 2010 10:43pm
Quote (Kiston @ Jan 8 2010 12:20am)
ill up my cardio to 30 min, but i do hiit 20 min 3 times a week after my strength workouts atm. and i think ive been fuckin up with tha carbs, ive been eating good carbs, but throughout the day :(

morning ill eat a large amount of good carbs, then my two meals at school are like 10g protein/17g carbs each, but every meal after that will have only protein/fats, does this sound good to u? oh and jus curious, why do u reccommend fatburning supps when i thot EC stack was the cheapest/most effective?

oh also, how about simple carbs around my workout? unneccessary for cutting? i usually take around 50g dextrose/sucralose from pre/intra/PW combined with bcaas

10 protein 17 carbs is pretty weak...go for something like 20 protein 5 carbs.

EC stack is good, but i cant recommend a banned substance

simple carbs post workout are un necessary for cutting. not needed. but get lots of bcaa's!!
Gold: 0.00
Jan 7 2010 11:03pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jan 8 2010 04:43am)
10 protein 17 carbs is pretty weak...go for something like 20 protein 5 carbs.

EC stack is good, but i cant recommend a banned substance

simple carbs post workout are un necessary for cutting. not needed. but get lots of bcaa's!!

hows about 13g pre/13g intra? and 10protein 17carbs is only cuz those 2 meals are my school meals, i make a turkey sandwhich in the morning and eat half at break and the rest at lunch. what would u reccommend me eating? only thing i could think of is seeds
Gold: 0.87
Warn: 10%
Jan 7 2010 11:13pm
Last month I took Cellucor D4 Extreme as a fat burner and I just finished my last dose last week. I experienced a huge amount of fat-loss during the time I took it and I had a noticeable change in my physique almost every week and that seemed to take a stall this last week. I've also felt a lot more sluggish pre-workouts and I feel my endurance has suffered without it. I've tried taking coffee pre-workout but that hasn't really given me the rush that I was accustomed to.
The specs on the bottle say that you need to take an off-cycle after a month's use. Is the off-cycle really necessary? Can I use a different fat-burner during the off-cycle?
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev12722732742752762039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll