d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1170917101711171217132039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Oct 24 2013 04:10am
Quote (TempoONE @ Oct 24 2013 05:38am)
In the bold, do you mean to clarify that it's not 40 grams of P / 40 grams of C / 20 grams of F per day?  If so, lmao obvsly =P

Also, where did you come up with these macros percentages?  Years of testing and experience?

You would be surprised with some of the questions I've been asked before :p

These are just generalizations based on years of studies and usage. There is no EXACT macro loadout, but just averages.

Every person is different, and thus some people might optimally respond to 31/39/30 or 50/20/30 or even 20/20/60, and so forth.

The key is to tweak your own macros accordingly, and experiment enough to see what works for YOU.

A good rule of thumb, however, is a MINIMUM of 1g / lb bodyweight of protein, regardless of carbs/fat.
Gold: 5.20
Oct 24 2013 08:29am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Oct 24 2013 02:10am)
You would be surprised with some of the questions I've been asked before :p

These are just generalizations based on years of studies and usage. There is no EXACT macro loadout, but just averages.

Every person is different, and thus some people might optimally respond to 31/39/30  or 50/20/30 or even 20/20/60, and so forth.

The key is to tweak your own macros accordingly, and experiment enough to see what works for YOU.

A good rule of thumb, however, is a MINIMUM of 1g / lb bodyweight of protein, regardless of carbs/fat.

Raynor you have been such a great help over the years. I love you bro. #nohomo ofc.

Do you have advices on steps I should take on tweaking my own macros for optimum efficiency? I hired a pretty good trainer for 6 months and his macros seemed to do the trick for me.
Gold: 5.20
Oct 25 2013 07:12am
Optimum Cutting Macros?
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Oct 26 2013 01:18pm
Quote (TempoONE @ Oct 24 2013 10:29am)
Raynor you have been such a great help over the years.  I love you bro.  #nohomo ofc. 

Do you have advices on steps I should take on tweaking my own macros for optimum efficiency?  I hired a pretty good trainer for 6 months and his macros seemed to do the trick for me.

Thank you for the kind words.

The best way to determine macros is to first find the extent of your sensitivity to carbs. If you are a pure mesomorph for example, and you can handle copious amounts of carbs, that would be your best primary macro (ie the macro that gives you the most calories for the day). If you tend to be hypersensitive to carbs, ie: you tend to feel bloated after eating them, and also tend to put on bodyfat during period of eating large amounts of carbs, you need to taper them down in terms of macro loadout, or just go full keto if cutting. For carb sensitive people, 1g per pound of bodyweight is the high point on a bulk, and completely eliminating them on a cut (for keto). However, for average or typically lean individuals, 1.5-2g of carbs per pound of bodyweight, on a bulk, would be fine.

So, assuming you figure out how sensitive you are to carbs, your next rule of thumb is that protein needs to be in the area of 1-1.5g per lb of bodyweight. That means, no matter what, a minimum of that amount of protein, in grams, needs to be consumed. Protein then becomes a wildcard, in the sense that you can consume extra to fill in caloric gaps if your other macros are already met. It should, however, be noted that extremely high intake of protein is absolutely not recommended. I would put a cap at the 2.2 g per lb of bodyweight mark.

Lastly, fat. Your body needs a certain amount of fat in order to keep producing testosterone (mostly from high cholesterol foods) properly and also to regulate the endocrine system, among other things. No-fat or extremely low fat diets are horrible across the board. Fat can also be a wildcard, although you must be careful with what type of fat you are eating. You want to strive for at least 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of UNSATURATED Fats to saturated fats. Some ideas include olive oil (which is typically a 7:1 ratio), avocados, fatty fish, etc. It's a good idea to get at LEAST 40-60g of fat per day, regardless of cutting or bulking. You can also increase fat to fill the caloric void if your protein/carb threshold has been reached. Around 0.3-0.6g per pound of bodyweight is a good rule of thumb for fats (unless doing keto, which would require 60+% macros from fats).

Now, putting it all together.

First start with protein, assume you are 200 lbs, on a lean bulking cycle, which would mean you need around 3,000 calories per day on workout days, and 2,500 cals on non-workout days. This would also mean you need at least 200-300g of protein per day, with closer to 300 on workout days (minimum). From there, calculate how many cals you have left (1200 cals from protein already leaves 1,800 for carbs/fat on the 3,000 cal workout day). Now, calculate at least 60g worth from fat, and see how many cals you have left in total. Assume you take the 60g of fat, for a total of 540 cals, you are now at 1740 cals with 1,260 remaining. Instead of taking in another 315g of just carbs alone to fill that 1,260 cal gap, you can now make adjustments.

On cutting, you will add additional protein and fat.
On clean bulking, you can add all of the carbs on workout days, and on non-workout days you can add some additional carbs/fat, and the balance in carbs
On dirty bulking, add whatever you want as long as you have a minimum of 1.5g per lb protein and 0.3-0.6 per lb of fat.

Remember, as you go, you can add additional macros as needed. If you need help in recovery, more protein. If you need more energy, carbs. If you need more testosterone, fats.
Gold: 285.01
Oct 26 2013 01:29pm
Quote (TempoONE @ Oct 24 2013 09:29am)
Raynor you have been such a great help over the years.  I love you bro.  #nohomo ofc. 

Do you have advices on steps I should take on tweaking my own macros for optimum efficiency?  I hired a pretty good trainer for 6 months and his macros seemed to do the trick for me.

Not asking for advice this time. Agreeing with this statement. You have always helped anyone who has asked with any random question. And i cant imagine the things youve been asked in 1700+ pages of this thread.
Gold: 43,801.66
Oct 26 2013 01:48pm
what is the advantage of doing chest back together? 1 excercise of each for like 5 excercises of each :?
Gold: 285.01
Oct 27 2013 02:25pm
Been having some pain in my left leg for the last week or so. More specifically, below the knee and above the ankle. Not the shin or calf, so the sides of my lower leg i suppose. Also aybe inward more towards the shin instead of the calf.

Not exactly sure what the cause is or the exact time frame, however i have noticed when it does hurt. Ive been playing basketball a lot the last week and a half. And ive noticed it hurts while doing so. Ive also noticed that whenever i go to lay up i always go up to the right side, and land on my left foot. Also, i was doing pistol squats the other day as well and it hurt the left leg and not the right. However i can still Deadlift and squat as heavy as i want with no pain. And when i do play basketball it hurts like hell during and is sore the rest of the day, and is completely gone by the next day. Now obviously i know i need to work on my landings while im playing, because if i keep landing on my left side while playing, it will wear my left leg down.

My question is, what do you believe this is? Or if its serious or not? And what a potential cause could be, since the pain started from day one of playing. Lastly, should i go to a doctor and get it checked out or is there something you believe i can do on my own to "rehab" it.

Thanks a bunch in advance
Gold: 126,902.00
Oct 28 2013 12:30am
eat everything in sight+lift heavy

this is all you need to know guys
Gold: 3.00
Oct 28 2013 01:23am
Raynor, I came to you last year asking this advice and received some great insight. I experimented away from it as the year went on and now I'm in a unfavorable situation.

I'm sure you don't remember me since you're incredibly popular and all.
First off, swimming is my main priority. I no longer swim for college but just compete in the masters.

I've been lifting 3x a week Back/bi, Legs/shoulders, Chest/tri after my swim workout (abs twice a week)
approx 15-20reps x 3 (2 exercises per muscle group)

Anyways I've been feeling off when I've been swimming lately (almost as if I'm too dense for the water). my arms have definitely are slower in finishing up my strokes and like i mentioned earlier I just feel like I'm sinking quicker.
Now I'm not 100% sure if this is my minds playing tricks on me but I do remember you suggesting a workout of lifting heavy 10,8,5,3,1 or something similar with 10seconds rest in between.

I'm not trying to get any bigger(or well maybe I'm just paranoid about the swimming part), if anything I'm even trying to lean out a bit.

Any new workout suggestions? or should i just be avoiding weights for now?
Also i was considering switching up the 3 day routine to

back/chest shoulder/leg chest/bi

Thanks in advance

This post was edited by Shekkie on Oct 28 2013 01:33am
Gold: 0.00
Oct 29 2013 03:39am
Hey man two quick questions.

I'm looking to drop around 100 pounds and what is the safest and reasonable way to lose this weight with the LEAST amount of loose skin/etc as possible, or will that happen regardless?

Secondly, I looked at your cutting workout routine is there any specifics I should be looking for when making/customizing one? I'm going to follow the same split but diff exercises etc. not sure what to look for though.

Thanks man
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1170917101711171217132039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll