d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev16726736746756762039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Feb 9 2011 11:17am
Quote (MegaVovaN @ Feb 9 2011 04:51am)
Hey raynor,

Not questioning your judgement. So please take this as another question.

Could you glance over this page? http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/bulkingAndCutting.htm

Scooby is pretty well known on youtube. And what he advocates mostly makes sense. But one thing he says is that bulking up is useless. And that its best to maintain a healthy nutrition and lift hard and be lucky to gain 5 pounds of muscle a year. Eating A TON of food will only add more fat while muscle gain will stay constant regardless... What do you think?

Well just a few observations.

Please look at scooby...then look at professional bodybuilders, powerlifters, strongmen, and some gym monsters in general. He is not exactly a greek god. He has decent muscle definition, but overall is not even close to the peek platform of excellence.

First off lets discuss body types:

Mesomorph - Easy to lose fat, Easy to gain muscle, ripped and hard year round regardless of diet (best genetics here, very rare)
Endomorph - Easy to gain fat, Easy to gain muscle, pudgy year round even with a good diet (mostly powerlifters here)
Ectomorph - HARD to gain fat, HARD to gain muscle, very thin all year round even with excess calories (hardgainers!!!)

anyway, each of these bodytypes, and combinations thereof, have different nutritional requirements.

To say that a 180lb ectomorph needs only 180g of protein and a total of 2700 cals a day would result in that ectomorph not gaining ANY lean mass whatsoever, if anything they will LOSE lean mass. The ectomorph at 180 lbs would need closer to 5,000 cals a day, 2g/ lb bodyweight protein, and special supplementation to maximize muscle gains.

However, an endomorph who wants to train for bodybuilding would indeed have to restrict their diet and manipulate their calories and macros to accomidate their training routine. (sugar in the morning and post workout on training days, complex carbs only for the other meals, 1.5g protein / lb bodyweight, and at least 60g fats while hitting around 2,500 calories total for the 180 lbs man will avoid fat gain, but at the same time NOT enable that person to lose fat.

Lastly, the mesomorph can do whatever they want as long as they are getting at least 1.5g protein / lb bodyweight and at least 2g carbs / lb bodyweight. They must eat every 2-3 hours like anyone else, and train hard, but they have the best results of the other bodytypes.

To make a blanketed statement and say that everyone who is 180 lbs needs 2700 calories and 180g protein a day is such an overstated crock of BS that this scooby fellow loses virtually all credibility my in my book.

He would have to be completely blind to basic nutrition and biology to say something like that.

Anyway, on bulking and cutting. This is the tride and true method used for years by bodybuilders. Do you gain fat? Yes. Do you gain muscle? Yes. Why is it good to gain fat while gaining muscle? simple - your body is at a state of anabolism when it is building and not burning. When your body is at a state of anabolism, your body is storing all excess fats and sugars as body fat when they are not used. There is no way to gauge 100% of the nutrition your body will need, so as a result on a bulk you will obvious overeat to an extent (caloric wise). This overage is necessary to guarantee you have at LEAST the amount of calories and nutrition your body needs for maximum muscle gains. if you start gaining fat RAPIDLY (like 1 lb a week) then it's time to cut down the cals, fat, and carbs from your diet somewhat. Just by the same token, do not underestimate calories to avoid fat gain. This will defeat the whole purpose of bulking which is to set yourself into an anabolic environment and give your body excess nutrition for which to provide energy and repairs to the torn muscle fibers.

There are some people at 180 lbs who can eat 1,500 cals a day and still see fat gains. Do not let fat gains discourage you. Cutting can always bring people to where they want to be after significant fat gains from bulking.

Hope this helps.
Feb 9 2011 11:19am
Quote (serennia @ Feb 9 2011 10:57am)
My adenoid is blocking 90% of my air way.

Getting a 20 mins surgery to remove my adenoid in april :)

Hope everything will be fine.

it should be fine. Make sure the surgeon is of good standing. Check him out online before getting it done.
Gold: 0.85
Feb 9 2011 11:26am
Alright thanks raynor, I see a lot of leg routines in my future.
Gold: 0.85
Feb 9 2011 11:29am
E; double post my bad, on my iPhone.

This post was edited by Destruct0 on Feb 9 2011 11:30am
Gold: 112.00
Feb 9 2011 04:16pm
Sup bro, I got a concern. My left elbow has been killing me today, but it's been bothering since yesterday after I finished doing legs and today during/after my judo class it sucked even more. My question is what should I do? Should I just ice pack it or got an elbow strap or something? If I stretch my arm it doesn't hurt but if I squeeze/flex my bicep it hurts (not as much now that it's been an hour since I finished my judo class). It's only been hurting/bothering me quite a bit after I've done some type of exercise.

Also here's a pic :

Thanks in advance.
Gold: 3,437.00
Feb 9 2011 04:43pm
Quick question:

how many months are good intervals to bulk/cut? I'm 5'11 185lbs and i've been bulking for 4 months. Im planning on starting to cut in the summer, where I can play basketball outdoors. Is 4-5 months enough to bulk/cut? After summer (4-5 months) I will start bulking again.
Feb 9 2011 09:36pm
Quote (isaac_m @ Feb 9 2011 06:16pm)
Sup bro, I got a concern. My left elbow has been killing me today, but it's been bothering since yesterday after I finished doing legs and today during/after my judo class it sucked even more. My question is what should I do? Should I just ice pack it or got an elbow strap or something? If I stretch my arm it doesn't hurt but if I squeeze/flex my bicep it hurts (not as much now that it's been an hour since I finished my judo class). It's only been hurting/bothering me quite a bit after I've done some type of exercise.

Also here's a pic :

http://i52.tinypic.com/2zg9lon.jpg

Thanks in advance.

hey there.

First things first.

ICE IT! You need to ice it for 15 minutes on and 45 minutes off at least 6-8 times (pretty much a whole day).

In addition, take ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatories as needed.

Do not work out until the pain subsides. If it gets worse or doesn't change within 2-3 days, see a doctor immediately.
Feb 9 2011 09:36pm
Quote (iHammerZz @ Feb 9 2011 06:43pm)
Quick question:

how many months are good intervals to bulk/cut? I'm 5'11 185lbs and i've been bulking for 4 months. Im planning on starting to cut in the summer, where I can play basketball outdoors. Is 4-5 months enough to bulk/cut? After summer (4-5 months) I will start bulking again.

A good bulk is approximately 8-9 months. A good cut is approximately 3-4 months.
Gold: 112.00
Feb 9 2011 10:25pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Feb 9 2011 08:36pm)
hey there.

First things first.

ICE IT! You need to ice it for 15 minutes on and 45 minutes off at least 6-8 times (pretty much a whole day).

In addition, take ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatories  as needed.

Do not work out until the pain subsides. If it gets worse or doesn't change within 2-3 days, see a doctor immediately.

Alright, thanks man.
Gold: 236.51
Feb 10 2011 11:25am
Hey Raynor, I had a question for ya. I am currently attempting to do pure fat/weight loss at this moment and have been able to go to the gym 3 times a week while doing other minor exercises twice a week so staying active during the weekdays. I was wondering what kind of diet I should do because I was told that my calorie intake should be at roughly 2,250 calories a day. I was thinking to help with hunger, eat 5 times a day for roughly 450 calories per meal. I was wondering if that were a great thing to do as it would also boost my metabolism. Also, how often should I eat? I was thinking every 2 hours but is that fine or is there a certain amount of time you should have between meals? Also, for pure fat/weight loss what are some of the suggested intakes in regards to fat, carbs, sodium?

I'm taking supplements right now so yeah...that's a constant too. If you can help me out, that'd be great. Thanks!
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev16726736746756762039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll