d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev122232425262039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 22 2008 03:20pm
Alright cool, and another queston.... Whats the deal with overworking a muscle? like how should I know when to stop, how often I should I work it out, because I heard that if you overwork a muscle you stop actually getting stronger or whatever.. is this true?
Gold: 168.00
Aug 22 2008 04:08pm
Well i am 135 pounds and im trying to get a lot bigger while staying cut. trying to get a good workout schedule working about 5 days a week. i would like to know what muscles i would have to workout each day and how long.
Gold: 3,532.00
Aug 22 2008 10:13pm
Ah wow, I never knew this forum existed, I'm glad I found it ohmy.gif

To make a long story short, after a couple years of college wrestling, I took some time off from school to focus on work/coach HS wrestling. I am going back to school this year (community college this semester and university second semester). I haven't really done any significant amount of working out in the past 2 years, and it somewhat shows. I have until around December to work myself back into shape, and I am in sore need of a workout regiment and diet to follow. Unlike many of the people who have posted in the thread, I have no desire to gain bulk mass, rather just to get back into the kind of shape it takes to be competitive at a collegiate level. For reference, I stand at exactly 6'0'', and weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 187-192 depending on water weight fluctuation. I am aiming to hit the 174 lb weight class, and perhaps even 165 further down the road (my cut my 1st 2 years of college was 185 - 157, which was a bit extreme for me). I realize you are more into the building of muscle mass, but you certainly have a better understanding of workout routines and diet than I do. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but any help you could give me, or even pointing me in a another direction would be greatly appreciated happy.gif
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Aug 22 2008 10:54pm
Quote (Sir_Thee_Sexton @ Fri, Aug 22 2008, 05:20pm)
Alright cool, and another queston.... Whats the deal with overworking a muscle? like how should I know when to stop, how often I should I work it out, because I heard that if you overwork a muscle you stop actually getting stronger or whatever.. is this true?

the best rule of thumb is the following:

Work every major muscle group (chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs) only once or twice a week at the most.

But even better, let your body be your guide. If you feel fatigued, and feel like you're actually weaker than the last time you trained that specific muscle group - chances are you are overworking it.

Take it easy, and move slower. You will see more gains with 2hours at the gym each day 5 days a week doing 1 major muscle group a day, than you would working out 2x a day 2 hours each time, with each major muscle group working 3-4 times a week.
Aug 22 2008 10:55pm
Quote (rklosinski @ Fri, Aug 22 2008, 06:08pm)
Well i am 135 pounds and im trying to get a lot bigger while staying cut. trying to get a good workout schedule working about 5 days a week.  i would like to know what muscles i would have to workout each day and how long.

hey there -

I'd be glad to help you.

First of all, the truth of the matter is, you really need to stick to eating healthy no matter what...diet is 75% of working out...without a good diet, all the exercise in the world will do you no good, and your muscles will not grow properly. However...at the very least, make sure you eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight...in your case, eat 140-200g of protein a day.

Anyway...if you wanna get big and gain muscle...after of course taking in enough protein you'll need to focus on the following (if you don't want shakes, just eat lots of meat, eggs, fish, and dairy basically)

STRENGTH ROUTINE::

DO EACH EXERCISE LISTED FOR 5 sets of about 6-10 reps with moderately heavy weight. IF YOU FEEL PAIN IN ANY EXERCISE, LOWER THE WEIGHT AND TRY AGAIN, DO NOT WORK THROUGH PAIN EVER!!!

Monday - Chest (Bench Press, Incline Press, Dumbbell Presses, Pectoral Flies)
Tuesday - Back (Deadlifts, Cable Rows, Dumbell Rows, Lat Pulldowns or Regular Pullups)
Wednesday - Legs (Squats or Legpress, Leg Extensions, Hamstring Curls, Dumbell Lunges)
Thursday - Shoulders (Military Press, Dumbell Should presses or Arnold Presses, Dumbell or Barbell Shoulder Shrugs, Lateral or Front Raises)
Friday - Arms (Preacher curls, dumbell concentration curls or hammer curls, tricep pulldowns, tricep kickbacks)

Also, try to do at least 100 reps of abs every other day. You can do ab work with any of the following broken down into 15-20 rep sets.

Crunches, Regular Situps, hanging leg raises, V-Crunches, Roman Chair Situps, or Alternating Knee Raises.

If you don't know how to do any of these exercises, GO HERE!! http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm and use the search feature at the bottom of the page!

hope it helps ;-)
Aug 22 2008 11:06pm
Quote (baboontilt @ Sat, Aug 23 2008, 12:13am)
Ah wow, I never knew this forum existed, I'm glad I found it ohmy.gif

To make a long story short, after a couple years of college wrestling, I took some time off from school to focus on work/coach HS wrestling.  I am going back to school this year (community college this semester and university second semester).  I haven't really done any significant amount of working out in the past 2 years, and it somewhat shows.  I have until around December to work myself back into shape, and I am in sore need of a workout regiment and diet to follow.  Unlike many of the people who have posted in the thread, I have no desire to gain bulk mass, rather just to get back into the kind of shape it takes to be competitive at a collegiate level.  For reference, I stand at exactly 6'0'', and weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 187-192 depending on water weight fluctuation.  I am aiming to hit the 174 lb weight class, and perhaps even 165 further down the road (my cut my 1st 2 years of college was 185 - 157, which was a bit extreme for me).  I realize you are more into the building of muscle mass, but you certainly have a better understanding of workout routines and diet than I do.  I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but any help you could give me, or even pointing me in a another direction would be greatly appreciated happy.gif

hey there...I PM'd you...please get back to me - thanks heart.gif
Gold: 168.00
Aug 23 2008 12:04am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Fri, Aug 22 2008, 08:55pm)
hey there -

I'd be glad to help you.

First of all, the truth of the matter is, you really need to stick to eating healthy no matter what...diet is 75% of working out...without a good diet, all the exercise in the world will do you no good, and your muscles will not grow properly. However...at the very least, make sure you eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight...in your case, eat 140-200g of protein a day.

Anyway...if you wanna get big and gain muscle...after of course taking in enough protein you'll need to focus on the following (if you don't want shakes, just eat lots of meat, eggs, fish, and dairy basically)

STRENGTH ROUTINE::

DO EACH EXERCISE LISTED FOR 5 sets of about 6-10 reps with moderately heavy weight. IF YOU FEEL PAIN IN ANY EXERCISE, LOWER THE WEIGHT AND TRY AGAIN, DO NOT WORK THROUGH PAIN EVER!!!

Monday - Chest (Bench Press, Incline Press, Dumbbell Presses, Pectoral Flies)
Tuesday - Back (Deadlifts, Cable Rows, Dumbell Rows, Lat Pulldowns or Regular Pullups)
Wednesday - Legs (Squats or Legpress, Leg Extensions, Hamstring Curls, Dumbell Lunges)
Thursday - Shoulders (Military Press, Dumbell Should presses or Arnold Presses, Dumbell or Barbell Shoulder Shrugs, Lateral or Front Raises)
Friday - Arms (Preacher curls, dumbell concentration curls or hammer curls, tricep pulldowns, tricep kickbacks)

Also, try to do at least 100 reps of abs every other day. You can do ab work with any of the following broken down into 15-20 rep sets.

Crunches, Regular Situps, hanging leg raises, V-Crunches, Roman Chair Situps, or Alternating Knee Raises.

If you don't know how to do any of these exercises, GO HERE!! http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm and use the search feature at the bottom of the page!

hope it helps ;-)

thankyou for the advice
imma try it out first thing tm

Gold: 0.00
Aug 23 2008 01:10am
Thanks for the help smile.gif
Aug 25 2008 11:45am
Quote (rklosinski @ Sat, Aug 23 2008, 02:04am)
thankyou for the advice
imma try it out first thing tm

Quote (Sir_Thee_Sexton @ Sat, Aug 23 2008, 03:10am)
Thanks for the help smile.gif

YOU BOTH ARE VERY WELCOME =D

Aug 25 2008 07:20pm
TIP OF THE DAY -

Eating massive quantities of raw spinach can increase the IGF-1 factors in the human body leading to increased metabolism and anabolic function!
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev122232425262039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll