d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > General Help Archive > The Three Big S's In Internet > Safety, Security, Sociality
Closed New Topic New Poll
Senior Moderator
Gold: 16,232.97
Trader: Trusted
Jan 1 2010 01:51am
Safety - a contrivance or device to prevent injury or avert danger. To be in a state of comfort, and to do nothing to cause danger.
Security - freedom from danger or risk. Something to prevent danger.
Sociality - social nature or tendencies as shown in the assembling of individuals in communities. Interraction with other living animals (Humans,etc)

The three words defined, are in normal font.In bold is what I believe the word to mean in simple terms.

What do these terms have in common?
They are things you must do, abide by, and live with everday of your life.

How many times has your mom said," Jimmy, don't tell anyone your personal information on this game!"

We've all heard it from our parents, guardians, or even the website itself!

1)Why do our guardians tell us these things?
2)Who cares if I give out personal information?
3)Risks/consequences to giving out personal information.
4)The Safe Approach - Pick your limitations.

Why do guardians nag us to not give away my personal information?

Well the simple truth is - They love you, care for you, and are reponsible for you and your well being.
Giving away your personal information puts you at danger, and puts strain on their responsibility.
This also puts there prized possesion at risk: You.

Guardians tell us these things from past experience, or from stories past down from friends and family.
Things happen, such as burglaries\theft, spying, stalking, rape, and many other serious dangers.

Who cares if I give out personal information?

Your guardian(s), your family, your friends - even I do. It hurts me to see these terrible things happening over the internet.
The internet is a great resource and tool, buts its also a danger if you make it one.

If you ever second question giving information to someone, those are the kinds of things you shouldnt tell them.
Things like, where do you live? Whats your adress? Whats your phone number ?
It's all your choice, but think about how you parents would feel if they knew you were supposedly talking to a 14 year old girl.
For all you know, she is a 42 year old guy! You can never be to sure on the internet!

If you really want to know who cares, talk to your guardians, ask them how they feel about the subject, and what information they feel can be given out, like your name.

Risks and consequences of giving out personal information.
What were you thinking telling that person your adress? You're in an online relationship with him\her?

Number one, if your going to go the next step and take an online relationship into real life, talk to eachothers parents to arrange a meeting together, that way its safe.

Onto the consequences:
You're entire family could be at risk.
You could be assaulted, raped, harassed, or killed.
You could be jailed or warned (Asking for others personal information).
Your relationship with the person might end, because the you or your friend do not feel comfortable with eachother anymore.
Your parents could find out and become very upset, punishing you in a negative way.

Well how do I avoid these things happening?

The Safe Approach - Pick your Limitations -
Have a talk with your guardian, or even think to yourself: Where should I stop along the line of giving out information?

It's diferent for everyone, some people feel ok giving out all the information.
Others dont even give out their name, or use a fake name.

It all depends on your safety and security level. Let me show you how I feel about personal information.

I personally:
When asked for my adress or where I live? I say my general location, never specifics. I live in New York State, a little north of Albany.
When asked for my name? I tell em, its easier communication. My name is Austin. I never tell anyone my middle or last name.
When asked about family? Any specifics I leave out, general aspects I will answer. I live with my grandparents who are in there late 50's and early 60's, as my mom and I dont get along very well and are going through counciling. <-- I was never to specific where you could indentify me from a crowd of people slightly north of Albany, New York.

Remember that the Internet is a privallege to use, and with privallege comes responsibility.
You are reponsible for your own safety, security, sociality and well-being. And you parents are too.
In the end you make the choices.
In the end the choice is yours.

So I ask of you this;
Please dont be another one of the thousands of assault victims because of online relationships (friend or more serious).

Be safe and have fun at the same time.
Afterall risk in gambling may be fun, but risking you or your families well-being is not.

Thank you dlkissakara for the following concept:
Recognize-The threat whatever it may be.
Resist-By following guides such as yours, having self-confidence, and talking to trusted people.
Report-To the proper authorities whoever they may be, if necessary.

I hope this helped some of you understand the message that is trying to be put across to young adults like myself during this time period. The internet is a tool that is becoming more and more used everyday. Help yourself and everyone around you, be safe.

This post was edited by _Mork_ on Jan 20 2010 12:31pm
Senior Moderator
Gold: 16,232.97
Trader: Trusted
Jan 1 2010 01:52am
This was meant to be posted as a guide to internet safety, security and well being.
If you have any edits, organization concerns\tips, or other ideas please PM me.
I appreciate all feedback.

I wanted to do this as my first action on Jsp of the new year\decade.
Happy New Year everyone ! :cheers:
Go Back To General Help Archive Topic List
Closed New Topic New Poll