d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > General Archive > The Lesson Of The Master
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 1.73
Sep 30 2015 08:31am
Oh my god. Hate it and love it at the same time.

I regret having to read it, despite the fact that it is greatly wrought, it has stricken me with a mean feeling at the end of the story.....

Full of itself, a story that may be seen through the middle, probably by the fact that it is a novella...... Wonderfully wrought, yet it brings about a dread for the main character, an ironic lesson taught by his 'Master'.

Good story.
Gold: 10.00
Sep 30 2015 08:37am
From wikipedia

Plot summary

The novella tells the story of a young writer, Paul Overt, who meets Henry St. George, a famous novelist Overt admires. During that time, Overt also meets and falls in love with Marian Fancourt, a young woman who admires both St. George's and Overt's work. During their meetings, St. George, who is married, advises Overt against getting married and having children, arguing that a wife and children will be the death of Overt's creativity and career. Overt then takes an extended vacation in which he considers St. George's advice. When he returns, he learns that St. George's wife had died, and that St. George had taken Marian Fancourt as his wife. Overt feels that St. George had set him up in order to have Fancourt for himself, but St. George insists that by marrying Fancourt he saved Overt and his career.
Gold: 28,296.75
Sep 30 2015 08:37am
do or do not, there is no try

-master yoda
Sep 30 2015 08:43am
Quote (Njoy @ 30 Sep 2015 10:37)
From wikipedia

Yeah thats it, I figured that was the plot when I was halfway through the story, and thinking of a good plotline with allowance to the length of the novel, and the death of Mrs. St. George the conclusion was easily deducible.

The way it is written though, just divine.... It is a style of the old, and it is from the old, and is sadly not replicated among the more modern writers. It is a pity, as this style of writing, in a more modern sense, is my favorite style. It is displayed by some writers of modern times but it is not frequented, which is a dilemma.
Gold: 7,252.72
Sep 30 2015 08:45am
Quote (ChrisKz @ Sep 30 2015 10:31am)
Oh my god. Hate it and love it at the same time.

I regret having to read it, despite the fact that it is greatly wrought, it has stricken me with a mean feeling at the end of the story.....

Full of itself, a story that may be seen through the middle, probably by the fact that it is a novella...... Wonderfully wrought, yet it brings about a dread for the main character, an ironic lesson taught by his 'Master'.

Good story.

...stick with " written " please . ( if this " review " is some type of homework assignment it is dreadful )

Sep 30 2015 08:46am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 30 Sep 2015 10:45)
...stick with " written " please . ( if this " review " is some type of homework assignment it is dreadful )

This is simply me making a statement about the book.... It isn't a review, it is my opinion after I just finished reading the story.... My main goal of the topic is to maybe come across those who may have read it as well...

edit: why should i have to stick to words you may want when im simply talking about something on my own? Don't think of yourself highly....

This post was edited by ChrisKz on Sep 30 2015 08:47am
Gold: 28,296.75
Sep 30 2015 08:51am
Quote (ChrisKz @ Sep 30 2015 06:46am)
This is simply me making a statement about the book.... It isn't a review, it is my opinion after I just finished reading the story.... My main goal of the topic is to maybe come across those who may have read it as well...

edit: why should i have to stick to words you may want when im simply talking about something on my own? Don't think of yourself highly....

the point is that your posts are like your writing

you come across trying really hard and it is really distracting because you just aren't very good at it.

if you want people to focus on what you have to say you should either improve so it's not so distracting or post/write at your actual level (not the level you wish to be)

Sep 30 2015 08:52am
Quote (Beowulf @ 30 Sep 2015 10:51)
the point is that your posts are like your writing

you come across trying really hard and it is really distracting because you just aren't very good at it.

if you want people to focus on what you have to say you should either improve so it's not so distracting or post/write at your actual level (not the level you wish to be)

No they aren't.... My words are just words that I feel like using when I'm in a certain mood... It has nothing to pertain towards what you are insinuating, and you should be ashamed of yourself to think that you are so analytical that you could read me in such a way.....

When you are very in fact a very base person.
Gold: 7,252.72
Sep 30 2015 08:54am
Quote (ChrisKz @ Sep 30 2015 10:46am)

...because the harder you try to practice creative writing the worse your writing becomes . You think I am being cruel but I am in fact doing you a favor .
Sep 30 2015 08:55am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 30 Sep 2015 10:54)
...because the harder you try to practice creative writing the worse your writing becomes . You think I am being cruel but I am in fact doing you a favor .

What are you talking about? Nobody here is practicing creative writing, I'm simply typing up what I thought of the story in the very simplest way I thought of at that moment. This isn't a paper that I'm trying to type, or a point that I am trying to present... I merely wish to discuss.....

Just because you see words that you may not use often does not mean that I may not have been influenced by things I've read and or heard, and that they have shaped the way I think and type, maybe even speak, when it comes to this state of mind.....

This post was edited by ChrisKz on Sep 30 2015 08:56am
Go Back To General Archive Topic List
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic