d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > MMORPG > Guild Wars 1 & 2 > Best Class For Solo? (gw2)
12Next
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,715.00
Sep 9 2013 10:22pm
Okay..firstly I need to let it be known that I am new to Guild Wars 2, so if I say something stupid I apologize in advance.

So, my first character was an Elementalist, I gave up at level 10 or so because I found it really difficult. My second was a Warrior, I am currently level 30 but I am struggling with killing certain types of enemies that other players with different classes seem to kill with ease. Can somebody recommend a good build/class for somebody who is new to this game, who is playing solo?
Gold: 5,168.97
Sep 10 2013 02:05am
Ranger is a very good solo class, but sadly the pet is a bit clumsy in places where you'll need groups -- such as WvW, PvP and dungeons. Guardians, warriors and thieves are also pretty good.
Gold: 24.40
Sep 10 2013 02:31am
i found the quickest lvling was with the signet build.
5 signets and the first trait from arms (u can sub out the healing signet for a stronger healing ability, i did alot of the time)

gear = power/precision/crit damage

greatsword for damage and mobility, axe/anything on switch (i like using a shield for extra survivability)
Gold: 150.00
Sep 10 2013 04:00am
Any of the melee classes are fun to level. Of the 3 Thief is more of a challenge.
Gold: 12,715.00
Sep 10 2013 11:02am
Thanks everyone! I am really enjoying playing the Warrior now I've changed my weapon to the Great Sword.
Gold: 212.00
Sep 13 2013 03:17am
Heavy:
Guardian = Better in PvP but still great in PvE (kills slower than Warrior but fronts much more defensive stature, even for the party)
Warrior = Better at PvE, still good in PvP (Kills faster than the Guardian but lacks the defenses and doesn't bring much as far as boons are concerned to the party)

Medium:
Engineer = This class just isn't very potent at either right now (doesn't mean it's bad), it just isn't up to par with other ranged classes, mostly due to it's lack of evasion
Ranger = Works in PvE (Nothing as potent of a farmer as a G or W though), works great in PvP
Thief = Rough time in PvE (As it just doesn't have the tanking/AoE power of G or W) but it's excellent in PvP

Light:
Elementalist = Subpar in PvE and subpar in PvP, unless you're a dedicated Elementalist and in this case, mastering the art of switching attunements will allow you to keep up with any class in PvE or PvP
Mesmer = Slow as fuck in PvE, it just isn't built for fast killing but works great in PvP (You've got to like the *flavor* of Mesmer play though, otherwise you'll hate this class)
Necromancer = Works in PvE and is currently the better out of the 3 light characters in PvP

~ There you have it

Gold: 4,004.07
Sep 13 2013 04:47am
well i dont agree with thief part, i dont have rough time in pve :)
Gold: 34.08
Sep 13 2013 08:32am
Quote (TSBoyer @ Sep 13 2013 09:17am)
Heavy:
Guardian = Better in PvP but still great in PvE (kills slower than Warrior but fronts much more defensive stature, even for the party)
Warrior = Better at PvE, still good in PvP (Kills faster than the Guardian but lacks the defenses and doesn't bring much as far as boons are concerned to the party)

Medium:
Engineer = This class just isn't very potent at either right now (doesn't mean it's bad), it just isn't up to par with other ranged classes, mostly due to it's lack of evasion
Ranger = Works in PvE (Nothing as potent of a farmer as a G or W though), works great in PvP
Thief = Rough time in PvE (As it just doesn't have the tanking/AoE power of G or W) but it's excellent in PvP

Light:
Elementalist = Subpar in PvE and subpar in PvP, unless you're a dedicated Elementalist and in this case, mastering the art of switching attunements will allow you to keep up with any class in PvE or PvP
Mesmer = Slow as fuck in PvE, it just isn't built for fast killing but works great in PvP (You've got to like the *flavor* of Mesmer play though, otherwise you'll hate this class)
Necromancer = Works in PvE and is currently the better out of the 3 light characters in PvP

~ There you have it

Warriors definitely do not lack defense. You're doing it wrong.
Honestly, the best class for solo is the class that you will enjoy playing. The class you enjoy will get you further than the class that can do one thing better than another.

Or you can not listen to me, make a warrior because they eat face right now, find out you don't like warrior and cry about it and uninstall in a month.
Gold: 212.00
Sep 13 2013 10:15am
Warriors indeed have less defense than a Guardian
As said in my comment, discussing the heavies

This post was edited by TSBoyer on Sep 13 2013 10:26am
Gold: 34.08
Sep 13 2013 10:58am
Quote (TSBoyer @ Sep 13 2013 04:15pm)
Warriors indeed have less defense than a Guardian
As said in my comment, discussing the heavies

No man, you didn't say less. You said they lack defense.
Go Back To Guild Wars 1 & 2 Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll