d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Pocket Computing Discussion And News Thread > Tablets And Phones!
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 58,286.31
Sep 15 2011 05:12pm
This thread will be a place to discuss news and opinions about tablets and phones.

Please keep it clean and be nice! Feel free to contribute!

a few news stories to get us started:

iPhone 5 to have radical new design according to Case-Mate images

The iPhone 5 hasn’t been announced yet, but that has not stopped accessory makers from posting upcoming cases for the highly anticipated handset. Case-Mate has published a page on its website with six different case designs for the new iPhone 5, and we’re loving the radical new body shown in the images. We’ve heard tons of speculation that the iPhone 5 will be thinner and lighter than the current model and these cases suggest it will have tapered edges and a slim profile as well. Finally, the images appear to an aluminum back on the fifth-generation iPhone, which also jibes with earlier reports. The iPhone 5 is expected to be available in the United States in October, so we’re not surprised to see leaks like this start to spill out across the web.

UPDATE: Case-Mate has pulled the iPhone 5 cases from its website.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/15/iphone-5-to-have-radical-new-design-according-to-case-mate-images/

iPhone 5 to launch October 15th according to France Telecom CEO

Apple’s iPhone 5 will launch on Orange in Europe on October 15th according to comments from the CEO of the carrier’s parent company, France Telecom. FT chief executive Stéphane Richard, who has openly discussed Apple’s plans for the iPhone ahead of announcement in the past, told the French press that the iPhone 5 will launch on Orange in mid-October, TechRadar reports. “If we believe what we have been told, the iPhone 5 will be released on 15 October,” the CEO said without elaborating. Apple’s iPhone 5 has previously been rumored to be set for an October 7th release, which may still be the case in some markets. Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 5 alongside an updated iPhone 4 model at a press event later this month or early in October.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/15/iphone-5-to-launch-october-15th-according-to-france-telecom-ceo/

RIM co-CEO: BlackBerry PlayBook price cuts coming
During RIM’s second-quarter earnings call, co-CEO Jim Balsillie noted that the company plans to offer price cuts on the not-so-popular BlackBerry PlayBook in the form of rebates, and an incentive program for enterprise sales. Additionally, Balsillie mentioned that there will be a major software update for the PlayBook coming soon. RIM reported during its earnings call on Thursday that it only sold 200,000 BlackBerry PlayBook tablets into channels during its August quarter, after having shipped 500,000 units in the fiscal first quarter. Wall Street was expecting PlayBook shipments to total 700,000 units in the quarter.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/15/rim-co-ceo-blackberry-playbook-price-cuts-coming/

Sony PlayStation Vita to launch in Japan on December 17th

Sony announced on Wednesday that its next-generation portable gaming console, the PlayStation Vita, will launch in Japan on December 17th. Sony also said it has teamed up with Japan-based wireless carrier NTT DoCoMo to provide 3G connectivity on the device. 20 hours of 3G service is priced at $13 while 100 hours will set customers back $65. The system will launch in tandem with Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Square Enix promised to port Final Fantasy X as well. Sony expects to begin taking pre-orders for the Vita on October 15th and said the first 500 units sold will come bundled with 100 hours of free 3G connectivity. We had hands-on time with the Vita during E3 in June. It is expected to launch in the U.S. next year for $249.99 and AT&T will provide stateside 3G connectivity.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/15/sony-playstation-vita-to-launch-in-japan-on-december-17th/

Could the next version after Android Ice Cream Sandwich be Jellybean?

Google is known for using sweet treats as codenames for the various versions of theiir popular Android mobile operating system. And while many of us are anticipating the upcoming "Ice Cream Sandwich" which claims to offer the best of Honeycomb, the Android tablet OS, and make them useable on smartphones, it seems that the search engine giant has already started work on their new version which could be called "Jellybean".

It started from Cupcake (1.5) and then Donut (1.6), Eclair (2.0/2.1), Froyo (2.2), Gingerbread (2.3), Honeycomb (3.0) to the upcoming Ice Cream Sandwich. And yes, these are the codenames of the popular Google Android operating system and it looks like the next version could well be called "Jelly Bean". According to a reliable source from ThisIsMyNext, that would be the name of the next version and that it could be available to both smartphone and tablet. However, Google has yet to finalize the naming convention, although the choice with the letter "J" is limited and that Jellybean is most likely to be selected.

Meantime, the upcoming Ice Cream Sandwich claims to offer some "game-changing" features, though we would have to wait till it is available to know, which could be fairly soon. And by them, Microsoft may have also launched their Windows Phone "Mango" and Apple, their iOS 5.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/could-the-next-version-after-android-ice-cream-sandwich-be-jellybean-/13537.html#ixzz1Y47mcf5q

This post was edited by Nupper on Sep 15 2011 05:24pm
Sep 15 2011 05:13pm
Apple’s iPad 2 and new Windows 8 tablet face off in 11-minute video

Gold: 519.00
Warn: 50%
Sep 15 2011 05:17pm
i have a dilema concerning phones.
wut would u chose if u had the choice between these phones :
nexus s or SAMSUNG GALAXY MINI ?
Sep 15 2011 05:21pm
Quote (charlyak @ Sep 15 2011 05:17pm)
i have a dilema concerning phones.
wut would u chose if u had the choice between these phones :
nexus s or SAMSUNG GALAXY MINI ?

Nexus S all day long. Better screen, newer android, better processor, looks cooler, front camera, the list goes on.

This post was edited by Nupper on Sep 15 2011 05:21pm
Gold: 519.00
Warn: 50%
Sep 15 2011 05:23pm
Quote (Nupper @ Sep 15 2011 07:21pm)
Nexus S all day long.  Better screen, newer android, better processor, looks cooler, front camera, the list goes on.

thanks bro <3
Gold: 5,486.00
Sep 15 2011 07:35pm
who gives a shit about release dates for other countries? fuck em, only date that matters is release dates for the US, of which, there IS NONE for the iphone 5
Sep 15 2011 07:39pm
Quote (Ice98 @ Sep 15 2011 07:35pm)
who gives a shit about release dates for other countries? fuck em, only date that matters is release dates for the US, of which, there IS NONE for the iphone 5

Well, the iphone 4 released the same day in France and the US... so I give a shit.
Gold: 106.00
Sep 15 2011 07:41pm
The iPhone 5 better knock my socks off...because I am sick to death of AT&T and their price gouging just to do anything on their network...if it's not leaps and bounds better then my 4, then I think I will start shopping other phones...
Sep 15 2011 07:43pm
Quote (memnoch_thedevil2003 @ Sep 15 2011 07:41pm)
The iPhone 5 better knock my socks off...because I am sick to death of AT&T and their price gouging just to do anything on their network...if it's not leaps and bounds better then my 4, then I think I will start shopping other phones...

I don't know about leaps and bounds, but remember Tmobile is supposedly getting is as well as verizon. You shouldnt be stuck with one company.
Gold: 106.00
Sep 15 2011 08:00pm
Quote (Nupper @ Sep 15 2011 08:43pm)
I don't know about leaps and bounds, but remember Tmobile is supposedly getting is as well as verizon.  You shouldnt be stuck with one company.

Unfortunately though, those 2 options aren't that much better...I pay $35 a month for high speed net at home and can connect as many devices/pc's/consoles as I want, and have unlimited download bandwidth...but AT&T is trying everything in their power to get me out of my grandfathered unlimited $30 plan, that's only good for 1 phone, and if I tether my laptop or anything else, they want to charge me for it, and cap me to a 2GB plan :P

There's so much shady shit going on with these cell companies, my wife's friend is a manager with AT&T, and she told us that text messaging travels the same as data or cell traffic (I forget which), so it is essentially free to them, 100% profit, think how many people pay for texting plans lol...My brother in law has one of those small cell companies, he pays like $65 a month for unlimited minutes, text, data, and can tether his laptop all he wants...they just don't have a great selection of smart phones yet lol
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll