d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Any Tips For Sum1 Startin To Learn Guitar?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,434.75
Aug 30 2011 02:03am
I want to pick up a instrument that I can carry around just to play lovey dovey tunes to my GF and stuff, nothing too serious or difficult.

Was thinkin' acoustic guitar or ukukele or something simple and not needing to carry anything else beside the instrument

Any tips for a noobie that has never touched one?
Gold: 5,268.80
Aug 30 2011 02:34am
Acoustic guitar ftw.

Get a grade 1 book.

Learn Animals - House Of The Rising Sun.

Your focus in the beginning needs to be CHORDS. not scales, Chords.

Try and save upto $200/£170 for a guitar. your first one doesn't need to be godly, but it does need to be reasonable quality.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 30 2011 10:14pm
listen to that guy he knows what hes talking about. If you do end up buying a guitar you can pm me, i started 5-6 months ago, and can help you with the beginner issues you might have, though I am probably not qualified to give advice to you, i can tell you what has worked for me and believe me it is still fresh in my mind. I think he hit it dead on, but i would learn those pentatonic scales early on if i could go back in time, not because they are useful, but because they are great for getting ur fingers a little more dexterity and strength and coordination(depending on how you play them), i noticed an immediate difference in the way i generally play after i started doing them alot, and also because the sooner you start on them, the more quickly your fingers will deaden up, each time i learn something new be it bends or pull offs, or scales or chords, it hurts your fingers in a different way, and its good to get it out of the way early.

/e also, you should recognize going in that it takes a long time to learn anything, unless your playing A-E-D, over and over and over, and most songs dont, your goign to be at it for awhile. I thought i could learn a song in a month if just put my mind to it, and spent 2-3 hours a day, but thats not how it works. Im like 5 months into it and i am just now getting comfortable with some of the songs i thought i could learn within a month of starting guitar. some songs(alot of them) will just be 4 chords, and those you can pick up in a month maybe, but the rest of them will take alot of practice. its worth it though, i would spend the 180$ or whatever it is for a starter pack, its not expensive. You could even pick a decent guitar up on craigs lists for ~300$, im going to get a DX1 come christmastime. Youll need a tuner as well though, and if you need help with lesson material i can help you out I have all the rockschool grades, and the steve krenz thing as well, and can help you with links for those should you be interested

i think in addition to house of the rising sun, karma police(very easy to sing along with), My drug buddy(same thing), some of the nirvana songs, all great songs to start with, and pretty easy as well

This post was edited by blunderwonder2 on Aug 30 2011 10:24pm
Banned
Warn: 10%
Aug 30 2011 10:17pm
acoustic...and to be honest alot of ur lovey dovey songs have the same chordal structure...just different patterns..really simple
Banned
Warn: 10%
Aug 30 2011 10:18pm
Quote (SoBe6201 @ Aug 30 2011 09:17pm)
acoustic...and to be honest alot of ur lovey dovey songs have the same chordal structure...just different patterns..really simple

sorry...im here alot im a music teacher so if u need any help lmk
Gold: 1,434.75
Aug 31 2011 01:40pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Aug 30 2011 03:34am)
Acoustic guitar ftw.

Get a grade 1 book.

Learn Animals - House Of The Rising Sun.

Your focus in the beginning needs to be CHORDS. not scales, Chords.

Try and save upto $200/£170 for a guitar. your first one doesn't need to be godly, but it does need to be reasonable quality.

Thanks, I'll consider it.

Quote (blunderwonder2 @ Aug 30 2011 11:14pm)
listen to that guy he knows what hes talking about. If you do end up buying a guitar you can pm me, i started 5-6 months ago, and can help you with the beginner issues you might have, though I am probably not qualified to give advice to you, i can tell you what has worked for me and believe me it is still fresh in my mind. I think he hit it dead on, but i would learn those pentatonic scales early on if i could go back in time, not because they are useful, but because they are great for getting ur fingers a little more dexterity and strength and coordination(depending on how you play them), i noticed an immediate difference in the way i generally play after i started doing them alot, and also because the sooner you start on them, the more quickly your fingers will deaden up, each time i learn something new be it bends or pull offs, or scales or chords, it hurts your fingers in a different way, and its good to get it out of the way early.

/e also, you should recognize going in that it takes a long time to learn anything, unless your playing A-E-D, over and over and over, and most songs dont, your goign to be at it for awhile. I thought i could learn a song in a month if just put my mind to it, and spent 2-3 hours a day, but thats not how it works. Im like 5 months into it and i am just now getting comfortable with some of the songs i thought i could learn within a month of starting guitar. some songs(alot of them) will just be 4 chords, and those you can pick up in a month maybe, but the rest of them will take alot of practice. its worth it though, i would spend the 180$ or whatever it is for a starter pack, its not expensive. You could even pick a decent guitar up on craigs lists for ~300$, im going to get a DX1 come christmastime. Youll need a tuner as well though, and if you need help with lesson material i can help you out I have all the rockschool grades, and the steve krenz thing as well, and can help you with links for those should you be interested

i think in addition to house of the rising sun, karma police(very easy to sing along with), My drug buddy(same thing), some of the nirvana songs, all great songs to start with, and pretty easy as well

First I was TL:DR then I look at USER NAME then I was like ok I'll read. Thanks for exp info.

Quote (SoBe6201 @ Aug 30 2011 11:18pm)
sorry...im here alot im a music teacher so if u need any help lmk

Sure np
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll