d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Player vs. Monster > Quest Drop Guide 2.0 > Updated Info Inside
12310Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 50.00
Feb 6 2008 09:54pm
How to always get a quest drop from the bosses you kill most!

This guide, while having impecable timimg with the reset and all, will help you get the best items possible from your MF runs! There is a simple way to bug Andarial so that any character can obtain the nice drops from her. The other act bosses are a little tricky so we will need to have some spare characters.

Bugging Andy

To effectivly bug andariel, in any mode of play, so that she will always give you the quest drop minus the gems, follow these steps.

The character who needs the andy quest done creates game
If being rushed, wait for partymembers TP
Either you or your rusher kills andy
Wait in cats 4 for the automatically created town portal to appear
Take portal to town

talk to cain ( yes you have to have him to talk to him. )
Talk to warriv
Travel east
If you are soloing this and you killed andy, you can save and exit at this point.
If you were rushed and choose to save and exit, thats fine as well, however you do not want to use the CTA drop to exit this game.

Why do you want to bug andy? Well, she has the highest chance to drop jewelry and is extremly easy to get to. She and her friends in cats 4 are easy to kill and a single element sorc should not have a hard time in there. If you are going to make a dedicated NM andy killer, just pump the hell out of fireball. No immunes to deal with and andy will be down in like 2 or 3 balls. Why should you make a dedicated NM andy killer? Because NM andy is the best chance to get a SOJ in the game. The odds are up there, but usually after about 500 to 1000 runs you have an SOJ. Besides, she also can drop Tal Rasha's amulet.

Odds for an SoJ from a bugged andy with 0 MF in a solo game:

1 : 3813 Andariel ~ 1st kill - (N) Catacombs Level 4 - {mlvl 49}

Odds for an SoJ from a bugged andy with 400MF in a solo game:

1 : 1509 Andariel ~ 1st kill - (N) Catacombs Level 4 - {mlvl 49}

Odds for an SoJ from a bugged andy with 400 MF in a full game:

1 : 846 Andariel ~ 1st kill - (N) Catacombs Level 4 - {mlvl 49}

Odds for an SoJ from a NON bugged andy with 400 MF in a solo game:

1 : 3486 Andariel - (N) Catacombs Level 4 - {mlvl 49}

Odds for Tal Rasha's amulet from a bugged andy with 400 MF in a solo game:

1 : 1848 Andariel ~ 1st kill - (N) Catacombs Level 4 - {mlvl 49}

As you can see, bugging andy reduces the odds to get what you are after by almost half. If you have a dedicated NM andy runner and have no idea if that character is bugged, it is worth it to remake.

Bugging duriel, mephisto, diablo, and baal in Hell

For this, we will need to use a character who has completed the game. Make a game with a pat/mat/guardian. If you are not cheating and do not have a way to have 2 D2 windows open at the same time, stay in that game for around 5 minutes. Then leave the game and rejoin that game with a character who has not yet killed for the quest the boss you are after. What do I mean by that? Say your main target in hell is Mephisto. You can create the game with a pat/mat/guardian, wait the 5 minutes, leave, rejoin with a character that has killed hell andy AND hell duriel but not hell mephisto. Since your mephisto character has not yet killed mephisto for quest, and the character that made the game already completed the quest, your mephisto killer will not be able to get the quest on the quest screen, HOWEVER, that character will garner quest drops from mephisto. Again, the same reasons why with andy apply here. Best example I can offer up is Arachnid's Mesh.

Odds for an arachnid from a quest drop from hell mephy with 0 MF in a solo game:

1 : 1738 Mephisto ~ 1st kill - (H) Durance of Hate Level 3 - {mlvl 87}

Odds for an arachnid from a non quest drop from hell mephy with 0 MF in a solo game:

1 : 2626 Mephisto - (H) Durance of Hate Level 3 - {mlvl 87}

Toss on some MF and do a quest kill of Mephy, say 400 MF in a solo game:

1 : 687 Mephisto ~ 1st kill - (H) Durance of Hate Level 3 - {mlvl 87}

"wait wait wait Morph, how do I get a character strong enough to kill mephy without all the lame uber leveling and chaos running that I do will all of my characters?" I am so glad you asked. Time to take a walk on the wild side of normal players. You can easily Baal run in NM all the way to clvl75. I have personally done this all the way up to clvl78 once. It was rather painful for 77 to 78 as it took forever, even with an anni. Lets just say that you did this for clvl75 in NM. While most characters would be almost complete, a good sorc will want a few more skill points to be able to take down mephy in a timely fasion. "um, ok morph, how do I get these 'extra' levels when I am so weak?" Lets harken back to the 1.09 days and do some hell cows. The hell cows are mlvl81 so you are on the cusp of eliminating the exp penalty. If you can get a few good people to cow with you, those who do not kill the king, you can easily level in cows to about clvl85 or so. In each of these cow games, once cleared, you will be able to kill the king with the low level character for more drops. Besure to be unpartied with the portal maker and that the portal maker is not in the moo moo farms. The hell cowking is bugged to drop exactly the same as the NM cowking. TC 66 and lower only. The last few will be rather dificult as the exp penalty will start to really kick in. There is not a spot in act 2 that has this high concentration of monsters with this high of a mlvl. Sure act1 and act2 have the 2 different alvl85 places, but there are just not enough critters in either spot that are soo closely packed together to make it worth while. This will garner you a few extra points for your sorc to allow her to kill just a wee bit faster.

To do this same trick on duriel you need to have someone who has killed andy and then not any further than sticking the staff in the recepticle in a game that they can achieve the duriel quest. You will want to stick the staff into the recepticle and then save and exit that game. THis will make it so that you do not have to acquire the staff pieces, nor kill the summoner any more. Sure you are going to want to kill the summoner a few times to get keys of hate, but only once is needed. It will make more sense to kill the summoner repeadely as the blue symbols in the background will tell you what tombs duriel is not in. By this I mean, look at all the symbols, the one symbol that is missing floating in the background is the tomb that duriel is in.

To do this same trick with Diablo, follow the steps as mephisto. Nothing special needs to be done. Here, all you chaosers can get your extra levels like normal.

To do this same trick with baal, follow the steps as mephisto. Nothing special needs to be done other than the ancient's quest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ section from previous guide:

[QUOTE=aB29]You directed me to this thread in a different post, but didn't answer my question. How do you know Andy has a "bugged" drop by following the steps? Is there some revealing sign that proves she is doing her quest drop?[/QUOTE]

The only way to tell if andy is bugged or not is to take a close look at the pile she has dropped and answer these questions:
1. Is there a big steaming pile of arrows or bolts?
2. is there a piece or armor or weapon that is white or grey?

If you answer yes to either of these questions, it is time to remake your andy killer.

[QUOTE=bartucdark]I don't understand something at andy bug:

I have to ALWAYS talk with cain and warriv, even before I do quest-drop runs?[/QUOTE]

No, you are only required to talk to the NPCs on your quest kill. Subsequint MF kills you can just S & E once she is down if you so choose.

[QUOTE=NeXSlayeR]if u have 2 loaders, cant u just make game wit lvl 1 and then bring in ur mfer on another loader and then mf?[/QUOTE]

While I do not support loaders or any other hacks, yes, you do not have to wait the 5 minutes if you use those hacks.

[QUOTE=SexyLilBi]Not working for me...

First game:

Kill andy
Go in the automatic tp
cain
warriv
east
s/e

New game:
Kill Andy
S/e

New game:
Kill Andy
s/e

Etc.

Is this not right or something?[/QUOTE]

This is 100% correct. IF you think its not working, refer back to question #1.

[QUOTE=Crutches]Bugged... as in... when you create a new game (to do this again), you get quest drops again even though you already have the quest?[/QUOTE]

Yes, this will give you quest drops FOREVER!

[QUOTE=Xtremeness]Okay so if im in a party... we just kill andy i follow the steps... when i s/e can i come back to the same game? will she still be bugged? This whoel thing is quite confusing >.>[/QUOTE]

Yes you can join the same game. Yes andy is still bugged, and yes she will be bugged forever.

7a.
[QUOTE=Diablo2playa]Jesus man i'm going to try to clearify my mistake and hope to shoot I am not wrong.

Opener has quest credit + Boss killer does not have quest credit = quest drop For general quest drops[/quote]

This is 100% correct.

7b.
[QUOTE=Diablo2playa]Andy bug
THE VERY FIRST TIME YOU EVER KILL ANDY IN ANY DIFFICULTY:

Kill her twit
Take auto TP to town
Talk to cain + warriv
travel east
Save and exit
Andy is now bugged no matter what you do elsewhere.
Pick your nose
scratch your ass
it does not matter.

*Hides[/quote]

This is 100% correct as well.

[QUOTE=eatingcereal]95% Of the time NM andy glitch works, but I occasionally find myself getting magic items. Whats up with that?

Also one friend of mine says MF will actually make things worse when doing NM andy..so should I put mf gear on my nm andy glitcher or not?

p.s. can Hell andy be glitched the same way?[/QUOTE]

Just cuz the items are blue does not mean the glitch is working. Always check for white or grey items. Look for pots, arrows, bolts, piles of gold, ect. Glitch is working if items are colored, blue, yellow, green or gold.

I got a bridge in brooklyn that i can sell you too. More mf is always better.

Andy is andy regardless of difficulty setting.

[quote=somenoob]whats a quest drop?[/quote]

I will let Aye answer this. Besides, he did originally anyway:

[QUOTE=AyeCaramba]Nice!

Now what Quest drop actually means:

The Quest drop = The drop you get when actually killing an Act boss for the Quest. Remember this is a game lads, with quests to complete. In all three difficulties.... Nah, why do I bother. Just get a grush and never know what a quest means.

Oh yeah, when you do kill a boss for the quest the drop is upgraded. That's what a Quest drop is.[/QUOTE]

I do want to add one thing though. I have found that blue items are not always failed set items in quest drops. I have performed a quest kill of mephisto in normal and he dropped me a blue double axe. I checked the durability and it was 24. THis was not a failed set and only a plain jane blue double axe. While Quest drops are supposed to be rare and up, it appears that is not the case. I would say that quest drops are blue and up.

[QUOTE=BlackTy]can someone translate this in german? just the important things? biggrin.gif[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Xylus]Schreiten Sie Ein: Töten Sie Andariel für die Suche

Schritt Zwei: Wartezeit für das Stadtportal, zu erscheinen.

Schritt Drei: Nehmen Sie das Stadtportal zu Stadt und Rede zu Cain

Schritt Vier: Sprechen Sie mit Warriv

Schritt Fünf: Reise, II Zu Handeln

Schritt Sechs: Verlassen Sie das Spiel[/QUOTE]

No sprecken ze deoitch (i cant spell and never took german in school.)

There are bound to be questions about virginizing the bosses as was posted in the original guide. Here is the post that you need to read concerning that.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=8642431&view=findpost&p=55559535

[QUOTE=KazamiMi]Does quest Andy drop gems ? [flawless][/QUOTE]

Gems, regardless of quality, are considered a "magical" item as they drop from champions as well as random unique monsters. This, with runes as well, are the only white items that can drop from a quest drop.

[QUOTE=aShadow4206am]does this work non ladder ?[/QUOTE]

this works everywhere for 1.11b diablo 2 exp

[QUOTE=mikejetd0rk]How come this isn't stickied yet?[/QUOTE]

no need to sticky something when its in my siggy and everyone can find it. Besides, none of the newbies to this forum read the stickies anyway.

[QUOTE=DrkHrt2]And there you will get a huge VOUCH![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=pranavtulsian]what if ur char already has killed andy, what do u do?[/QUOTE]

If you are unsure and have not read question #1, remake character if you want to be absolutely sure andy is bugged.

[QUOTE=Calad]If i did not Bug andy with the NM kill, but i bugged her with my Hell kill, how does this affect her drops? Does only Hell Andy drop with quest drops, or will this completion supercede the previous and allow me to make bugged Andy regardless of difficulty?[/QUOTE]

Aye, you want this one?

[QUOTE=AyeCaramba]It has to be done in each difficulty to affect that difficulty, so you could have bugged/not bugged/bugged Andy for Norm/NM/Hell or any other combo you come up with.

Bugging her in Hell does exactly that. Bugs her for Hell kills.
[/QUOTE]

[quote=somenoob again]I didnt take the time to read any of this crap, can you just answer my question that has been asked like 20 million times before?[/quote]

No. Read everything first. Start here. It is the original post. The previous 16 questions answer all of the questions from the original guide. Every question above was asked atleast 3 times.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks be to AyeCaramba and yerkyerk for the testing that was done on the Virginizing of bosses. Do not ask what this is, please follow the link in question #11.

If for some silly reason, you have a question that is not apart of the 16 above, please post it. I will be more than happy to answer it.

Gold: 330.00
Feb 7 2008 05:09am
Nice job Morph.

The only thing I will add about the Andy bug is that Cain is irrelevant. You don't have to talk to him, but it makes no odds if you do. The key is as you say, don't talk to any of the other NPCs except Warriv (Note the correct spelling wink.gif ).

I might summarise the MF guide, which the mods so helpfully closed, but if I polish it I will ask them to put it in the guides next to the completely uselss MF post that is linked there at the moment.

Actually, we should add that if you want to really target Mephy for quest drops, the best way is to join Baal or CS run games instead of creating your own. No time wasted, and higher player count which of course is good for our MF runs. The only thing to be careful with is making sure that the portal is already active when you get to Durance 3, though it really should be since the game opener will surely have completed that quest. Should be very efficient imo.

This post was edited by AyeCaramba on Feb 7 2008 05:10am
Feb 7 2008 07:59am
Quote (AyeCaramba @ Thu, Feb 7 2008, 07:09am)
Nice job Morph.

The only thing I will add about the Andy bug is that Cain is irrelevant. You don't have to talk to him, but it makes no odds if you do. The key is as you say, don't talk to any of the other NPCs except Warriv (Note the correct spelling wink.gif ).

I might summarise the MF guide, which the mods so helpfully closed, but if I polish it I will ask them to put it in the guides next to the completely uselss MF post that is linked there at the moment.

Actually, we should add that if you want to really target Mephy for quest drops, the best way is to join Baal or CS run games instead of creating your own. No time wasted, and higher player count which of course is good for our MF runs. The only thing to be careful with is making sure that the portal is already active when you get to Durance 3, though it really should be since the game opener will surely have completed that quest. Should be very efficient imo.

Very valid point about killing Mephy. However, we are talking about a limited skilled character and it is possible that the lower skill points available to the killer could make it too slow to kill him in a timely maner. Sure you have like 5 minutes to do him in, average time of a hell baal with baal, but I am not sure if an under skilled sorc could do it. Maybe a heavily tweaked sorc could.
Gold: 129.00
Feb 7 2008 10:36am
Thx very much for info, already heard of andy bug but never knew how to do it,
i'll try when i get home,
thx again
Gold: 124.00
Feb 7 2008 01:21pm
Where did you get the number of the odds from?
Do you have some kind of proof or source for this?
Feb 7 2008 01:46pm
Quote (My_Lesson @ Thu, Feb 7 2008, 03:21pm)
Where did you get the number of the odds from?
Do you have some kind of proof or source for this?

ATMA drop calculator for drop odds.

Proof? Proof you ask for? It is in the drops. Refer to question #1 for more info.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 7 2008 02:13pm
Heyas, awesome guide but I want to point out, it's definitely possible to unbug andy!

I actually bugged Andy by accident way before I found out about this. anyway, long story short I used to do a full MF run of Meph, then Shenk/Eld, then Andy for a nice 10 min MF run to dodge any temp bans. I always noticed Andy dropped WAY better than everyone else for some odd reason. Then I distinctly recall the time I decided to add Diablo to my MF circuit. After that exact run, Andy proceeded to drop bolts, scrolls, etc the expected non quest drops. My notes were, I did Diablo after I did Andy's "bug run" and I had not completed the Diablo quest on this char BEFORE that game (making Diablo that game a "quest drop" as well as quest completion). I think it somehow ties into completing the quest in the same game as the Andy bug run so might want to double check that part to verify.

Thanks again!
Feb 7 2008 03:02pm
Quote (XvToreadorvX @ Thu, Feb 7 2008, 04:13pm)
Heyas, awesome guide but I want to point out, it's definitely possible to unbug andy!

I actually bugged Andy by accident way before I found out about this. anyway, long story short I used to do a full MF run of Meph, then Shenk/Eld, then Andy for a nice 10 min MF run to dodge any temp bans. I always noticed Andy dropped WAY better than everyone else for some odd reason. Then I distinctly recall the time I decided to add Diablo to my MF circuit. After that exact run, Andy proceeded to drop bolts, scrolls, etc the expected non quest drops. My notes were, I did Diablo after I did Andy's "bug run" and I had not completed the Diablo quest on this char BEFORE that game (making Diablo that game a "quest drop" as well as quest completion). I think it somehow ties into completing the quest in the same game as the Andy bug run so might want to double check that part to verify.

Thanks again!

You cannot unbug andy. Your perception of reality is clouding your vision. Odds are, Andy was never bugged for that character in the first place.

This post was edited by The_Morpheus on Feb 7 2008 03:02pm
Gold: 330.00
Feb 7 2008 04:09pm
Quote (The_Morpheus @ Thu, 7 Feb 2008, 21:02)
You cannot unbug andy. Your perception of reality is clouding your vision. Odds are, Andy was never bugged for that character in the first place.

Agreed. Once it's done it cannot be undone.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 8 2008 11:52am
Try it out. Bug Andy.

Then kill Andy with the bugged character then in the same game, complete the Diablo Quest after you kill Andy and try Andy again. Like I said, I'm relatively certain I was getting quest drops because there was a different level of drops between Andy and Meph during the time. Andy never showing bolts, pots, etc. I could be wrong but that was my experience.

This post was edited by XvToreadorvX on Feb 8 2008 12:00pm
Go Back To Player vs. Monster Topic List
12310Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll