d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Christian Fellowship > Got Questions About God? > #6 Hasn't Science Disproved Christianity
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 0.00
Mar 12 2013 11:14pm
Introduction:

Good day to you ladies and gentlemen. Tonight is the sixth of the ten questions that we are studying at Church. I have been taking notes and I am going to try and portray what I heard at Church onto here. The sixth question of the ten questions is this: Hasn't Science disproved Christianity? Now this is a question that has so many assumptions about it.
The assumption is science vs religion. Let's take a look deeper into the heart of this question.

Blind faith

The first thing I'll put down is the passage was read on Sunday.

John 20:19-31 NIV

Jesus Appears to His Disciples

On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders, Jesus came and stood among them and said,
“Peace be with you!” After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.
Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.
If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

Jesus Appears to Thomas

Now Thomas (also known as Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”

But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”

A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!”
Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”

Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!” Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed;
blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” The Purpose of John’s Gospel Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book.
But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Now the assumption of "Hasn't science disproved Christianity?" is there is science on one side and Christianity on the other side.
A 1v1 war and science has been getting some big shots in lately and the killing blow will be here soon. That is the assumption, there is no inbetween.

The assumption is, if you are a scientist then you cannot be religious. However there are countless examples where this is proven to be untrue.

Francis Collins is an American physician-geneticist noted for his discoveries of disease genes and his leadership of the Human Genome Project.

Francis Collins is also a Christian.
Francis Bacon is another example of someone who is a scientist and also a Christian.
Want another well known scientist? How about Isaac Newton? There is another scientist who was also a Christian.

Psalm 19:1-2 NIV

1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.

Now what do all of these named scientists have in common? Their passion for science started with their belief in the scriptures! Their religion drove their passion for science. It isn't a case of they had their
main science as their driving force and religion was driving up along side them.

There is another thing that has to be considered and that is the very little detail in the Universe that actually helps support life. Think of it as the Goldilocks Universe. This is too hot, this is too cold but
this is just right. All the Galaxies and their distances away from the Earth, the distance from the Earth to the sun, the moons distance from the Earth. All this along with so many other micromanaged distances,
all this makes life on Earth sustainable. If just one of those measurements were slightly adjusted then there would be no life possible for Earth.

Even one of the Gospel writers were scientists back then. The book of Luke, the writer himself was a doctor. As a scientist does, Luke carefully investigates from several hundred eye witnesses to bring
up an accurate account. That is what scientists do if they aren't present at the event.

Richard Dawkins is a scientist but he is also an atheist. He has this assumption that you cannot be a scientist and also a Christian. Richard Dawkins once said these words:

"Dawkins said it was his gut feeling that there been another stroke of luck that would have developed life elsewhere in the universe.

There are billions and billions of planets out there, so there could be millions of planets that have life on them, but the origin of life could still be a staggeringly good stroke of luck," he said.

Now do you see what he has just said? He has a gut feeling that there may be life in another world. he is going about that on blind faith. He is believing without actually seeing.
I thought that Atheists had to see to believe but here is Richard Dawkins who believes in life on other planets without any proof whatsoever. We have searched for life and found nothing yet he still believes.

Now THAT is what I call blind faith.

He also says that it is a staggeringly good stroke of luck and chance that we are here today and that life had ever formed in the first place. While that may be good and all, you need to go back to all the little detail
that seem fine tuned. Refer back to the Goldilocks Universe. Earth is the perfect distance away from the sun, not too hot and not too cold. The Earth is tilted on its axis JUST RIGHT. We have the JUST RIGHT
amount of minerals and water and food on this Earth to sustain life.

When you look at all of these kinds of things it looks as though it was fine tuned or micro managed. No amount of good luck could cause that to happen. That is why creation itself is evidence of God's existence. Astronomy
is a great place to start.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wide-eyed belief

Richard Dawkins once again mentioned a doubting Thomas in these words:

“Science is based upon verifiable evidence. Religious faith not only lacks evidence, its independence from evidence is its pride and joy, shouted from the rooftops. Why else would Christians wax critical of
doubting Thomas? The other apostles are held up to us as exemplars of virtue because faith was enough for them. Doubting Thomas, on the other hand, required evidence.
Perhaps he should be the patron saint of scientists.”

The thing that Richard Dawkins overlooked that this 'doubting Thomas' then believed when he saw the Messiah. Thomas received the evidence and he responded to the evidence granted to him. Richard Dawkins says that
Religious faith is a lack of evidence. The truth is, Richard Dawkins doesn't respond to the evidence given to not only him but to all of us.

When Thomas believed he became wide-eyed. His belief wasn't blind faith at all, it was wide-eyed. Many people view Christians as believing with blind faith. As in they cover their eyes to their peripheal
vision and stare a tunnel vision. They also wear blind folds and refuse to see anything else.

That could be further from the truth. Christians are not believing in blind faith, as a matter of fact they are wide-eyed with belief. They saw and RESPONDED to the evidence not because of tunnel vision but because of
wide-eyes on the lookout!

Romans 1:20 NIV

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Science and Religion do not clash because Science deals with the how, how do things happen and the way they happen. Whereas the Bible deals with why they happen in the first place.

Science cannot explain why you were made or what purpose you have.
Go Back To Christian Fellowship Topic List
Add Reply New Topic