d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2020 > Trump Vs. Pack O' Dems
Prev1526527528529530983Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 16 2020 02:33pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 16 2020 03:29pm)
I'm not excusing his behavior here, I'm explaining it. It is indeed a blatant abuse of power. What else do you want me to say?

"Oh no, now I see how wrong I was all the time. Trump is so corrupt and incompetent, how could I have ever supported such a man? All the horrible things he's done... but now that he's promoting a can of beans from inside the Oval Office... NOW he really crossed the line. Go Biden!"

Is that what you want to hear from me?

yes. apologize.

on a new note

https://www.yahoo.com/news/despite-supreme-court-ruling-trump-163436086.html

funny how the law and order candidate, who's followers constantly harp on the SCOTUS picks being his greatest accomplishment, and claim any black man who j walks deserves to die because "he wasnt an angel", and that the law is the law, is now breaking it.

weird how that happens, everything's a tool until its inconvenient. and thats all the law and scotus are to Trump.
Gold: 22,164.69
Jul 16 2020 04:17pm
https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1283854890842947589

pretty blatant disinfo by WaPo here

not this one -> “The science is very clear on this...the science is on our side here. We encourage our localities & states to just simply follow the science. Open our schools.”
this one-> "The science should not stand in the way of this"
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 16 2020 04:26pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 17 Jul 2020 00:17)

not this one -> “The science is very clear on this...the science is on our side here. We encourage our localities & states to just simply follow the science. Open our schools.”

For context:
"CDC director: Keeping schools closed poses greater health threat to children than reopening"

"I think really people underestimate the public health consequences of having the schools closed on the kids," [CDC Director Robert] Redfield said at an event hosted by The Hill and sponsored by the Biosimilars Forum. "I'm confident we can open these schools safely, work in partnership with the local jurisdictions."

The American Academy of Pediatrics has also called for students to return to classrooms, citing the educational and social harms to children of being away from school for a prolonged period of time.

But education groups like the American Association of School Administrators and the American Federation of Teachers say much more funding is needed to safely reopen schools

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/506640-cdc-director-keeping-schools-closed-poses-greater-health-threat-to-children
Gold: 0.00
Jul 16 2020 04:26pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Jul 16 2020 05:17pm)

LOLPropagandaBarbie
Jul 16 2020 04:32pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 16 2020 05:26pm)
For context:
"CDC director: Keeping schools closed poses greater health threat to children than reopening"

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/506640-cdc-director-keeping-schools-closed-poses-greater-health-threat-to-children

This is one of those tradeoffs where we're clearly sacrificing the education of our children in order to protect senior citizens. Letting the old folks eat the young to survive.
But when its passed through the media disinformation filter, they want to have their cake and eat it too by pretending that the science says closing schools actually helps kids and that anyone pretending otherwise is anti-science.
Which is itself anti-science, of course.

Its pretty abundantly clear from the data so far, Covid-19 is virtually harmless to children, maybe even to the point of making it hard for them to spread it let alone die from it. The CFR for children is astronomically low and the IFR is estimated so low as to be reasonably rounded to 0%. It might pose a threat to immunocompromised bubble boys and leukemia kids, but less of a threat than the flu
Jul 16 2020 04:53pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 17 Jul 2020 00:32)
This is one of those tradeoffs where we're clearly sacrificing the education of our children in order to protect senior citizens. Letting the old folks eat the young to survive.
But when its passed through the media disinformation filter, they want to have their cake and eat it too by pretending that the science says closing schools actually helps kids and that anyone pretending otherwise is anti-science.
Which is itself anti-science, of course.

Its pretty abundantly clear from the data so far, Covid-19 is virtually harmless to children, maybe even to the point of making it hard for them to spread it let alone die from it. The CFR for children is astronomically low and the IFR is estimated so low as to be reasonably rounded to 0%. It might pose a threat to immunocompromised bubble boys and leukemia kids, but less of a threat than the flu

Yes. I would say it's clear to anyone with two brain cells that skipping school for prolongd periods of time is disastrous for the development of children, particularly those from underprivileged households. It's also well-established that they themselves are not at a significant health risk due to covid. The real crux clearly is the question of whether school children who contract the virus can spread it to their parents, neighbors or babysitters at relevant rates. If the answer is 'yes', then we (the society) are in deep deep trouble.

The reason why Trump-world is so eager to reopen the schools is probably the economic factor - parents cant fully get back to work if at least one of them has to stay at home to look after the kids.
Gold: 12,730.67
Jul 16 2020 04:57pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Jul 16 2020 03:17pm)

Well she's not wrong. We are the outlier :rofl:

From my perspective, I don't think the administration cares whether or not our kids get educated, they die, etc. The primary focus of the campaign is to get reelected and nothing else at the moment. Trump is absolutely desperate to find a win anywhere and this is one of those places where he can probably win.

Having said all that, I think there are several scenarios where kids can go back to school. It needs to be done at the local level though where school districts work with public health officials so we can ensure that both teachers and students are safe. State governments should issue guidelines on what is "safe" and the Feds can step in where there's outrageous behavior.
Jul 16 2020 05:07pm
Quote (thundercock @ 17 Jul 2020 00:57)
Well she's not wrong. We are the outlier :rofl:

From my perspective, I don't think the administration cares whether or not our kids get educated, they die, etc. The primary focus of the campaign is to get reelected and nothing else at the moment. Trump is absolutely desperate to find a win anywhere and this is one of those places where he can probably win.

Having said all that, I think there are several scenarios where kids can go back to school. It needs to be done at the local level though where school districts work with public health officials so we can ensure that both teachers and students are safe. State governments should issue guidelines on what is "safe" and the Feds can step in where there's outrageous behavior.

It's definitely a winning issue for Trump imho. Women are disproportionately affected by the coronavirus crisis, particularly since they are disproportionately the ones who now have to stay at home to look after the kids. Reopening schools would be a huge relief for millions upon millions of mothers.

An example of the political potency of addressing "mom issues" is the gubernatorial election in Florida in 2018, which DeSantis won almost exclusively through his positioning on school choice. Doing something about this "childcare crisis" which was caused by corona, and which had been flying under the radar, could imho have a similar effect. And god knows some wins on "mom issues" would do Trump good with female voters.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 16 2020 05:07pm
Jul 16 2020 05:22pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 16 2020 05:53pm)
Yes. I would say it's clear to anyone with two brain cells that skipping school for prolongd periods of time is disastrous for the development of children, particularly those from underprivileged households. It's also well-established that they themselves are not at a significant health risk due to covid. The real crux clearly is the question of whether school children who contract the virus can spread it to their parents, neighbors or babysitters at relevant rates. If the answer is 'yes', then we (the society) are in deep deep trouble.

The reason why Trump-world is so eager to reopen the schools is probably the economic factor - parents cant fully get back to work if at least one of them has to stay at home to look after the kids.

I'd like to see more info on how big a tranmission vector children will really be. I think there's some evidence that the virus is so mild in kids they may not spread it easily. I mean, for a virus to spread it has to multiply inside of you while fighting your immune system and then get expelled by cough/sneezes/etc. If covid-19 is so mild in children its almost 100% asymptomatic that's reason to think it might not even spread. OTOH, when viruses do spread between and from children, it spreads like wildfire
Gold: 12,730.67
Jul 16 2020 05:26pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Jul 16 2020 04:22pm)
I'd like to see more info on how big a tranmission vector children will really be. I think there's some evidence that the virus is so mild in kids they may not spread it easily. I mean, for a virus to spread it has to multiply inside of you while fighting your immune system and then get expelled by cough/sneezes/etc. If covid-19 is so mild in children its almost 100% asymptomatic that's reason to think it might not even spread. OTOH, when viruses do spread between and from children, it spreads like wildfire

I think most evidence suggests that children under 10 don't spread it at all. I'm not sure if there are any cases in the world where a child has given it to someone under 10. I think the main issue is teachers giving it to children but as you said, it's probably not a big deal.

High school students are trickier though and that could be a disaster.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1526527528529530983Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll