d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Political Cartoon Thread
Prev17374757677280Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Jan 29 2015 09:36pm
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/1/23/report-fast-food-industry-could-survive-15-minimum-wage.html

Congress could more than double the federal minimum wage without doing serious harm to the fast-food industry, according to a report from economists at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. In a hypothetical scenario in which the minimum wage gradually rose from $7.25 per hour to $15, the authors of the report found that fast-food companies would be able to “fully absorb” the increase without limiting its profit margin.

The industry could absorb increased labor costs, the report contends, by reducing turnover and slightly increasing prices. Reducing turnover would theoretically increase the productivity of the employees, therefore reducing the increase in labor costs.

“In terms of policy implications, our results offer a straightforward conclusion,” the report says. “Achieving a $15 federal minimum wage within the U.S., phased in over four years, should be seen as a realistic prospect."

The $15 figure was not selected at random: It is the wage floor that protesting fast-food workers have been demanding for more than two years as part of a nationwide campaign backed by the labor union SEIU. Thanks in part to labor movement pressure, Seattle and San Francisco have approved a $15 minimum wage in the past year, and various other cities and states have raised their wage floors above $7.25 an hour, the current federal minimum.

Industry groups such as the International Franchise Association have denounced the demands for a $15 wage floor as irresponsible.

“Mandating wages would lead to higher prices for consumers, lower foot traffic and sales for franchise owners, and ultimately, lost jobs and opportunities for employees to become managers or franchise owners,” said International Franchise Association President and CEO Steve Caldeira in August. “The franchise industry is a proven job creator and career builder, yet efforts to double the minimum wage to $15 would clearly jeopardize opportunities for existing and prospective employees."

In other parts of the world, the fast-food industry pays its lowest-wage employees considerably more. Burger King and McDonald’s employees in Denmark, for example, tend to earn at least $20 per hour. In Australia the standard minimum wage is AU $16.87, or $13.39 in U.S. dollars.

For people interested in research and journalism and stuff.
Gold: 18.00
Jan 29 2015 10:18pm
Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems the study not only leaves the option of layoffs to offset the increased cost unexplored, but it purposefully overstates the productivity loss effect of that, while overstating productivity benefits for those options that it favored instead of cutting the workforce.
Gold: 12,730.67
Jan 29 2015 10:56pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jan 29 2015 07:36pm)

I have no problem with people getting paid $15 bucks an hour as long as they lay off half the work force and make the remainder work twice as hard.

I've had 4 hourly wages in my life.

Cashier - $5.25 per hour
Stocker/sales at Office Depot = $7.75 per hour
College grader for physics = $8.50 per hour
Engineering intern - $21.00 per hour ($22.50 the following year)

Out of all those jobs, the only one I felt underpaid in was the grading job because it actually took some skill to figure out wtf the students were doing when they got a problem wrong.
Gold: 14.88
Jan 29 2015 10:58pm
Quote (nobrow @ Jan 29 2015 06:49pm)
Vaginal fluid is more slippery, not like you would know.

Is it? I've never managed to slip in either. Also, I use condoms, so I'm unsure of the slippery/lubricant properties of semen.
Gold: 0.76
Jan 30 2015 05:22am
Quote (thundercock @ 29 Jan 2015 23:56)
I have no problem with people getting paid $15 bucks an hour as long as they lay off half the work force and make the remainder work twice as hard.

Cashier - $5.25 per hour

Out of all those jobs, the only one I felt underpaid in was the grading job because it actually took some skill to figure out wtf the students were doing when they got a problem wrong.

Just because you Haven't worked hard enough to "earn" $15.000 per hour doesn't mean others haven't
Gold: 8,933.00
Jan 30 2015 05:40am
Quote (Skinned @ Jan 29 2015 09:36pm)
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/1/23/report-fast-food-industry-could-survive-15-minimum-wage.html

Congress could more than double the federal minimum wage without doing serious harm to the fast-food industry, according to a report from economists at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. In a hypothetical scenario in which the minimum wage gradually rose from $7.25 per hour to $15, the authors of the report found that fast-food companies would be able to “fully absorb” the increase without limiting its profit margin.

The industry could absorb increased labor costs, the report contends, by reducing turnover and slightly increasing prices. Reducing turnover would theoretically increase the productivity of the employees, therefore reducing the increase in labor costs.

“In terms of policy implications, our results offer a straightforward conclusion,” the report says. “Achieving a $15 federal minimum wage within the U.S., phased in over four years, should be seen as a realistic prospect."

The $15 figure was not selected at random: It is the wage floor that protesting fast-food workers have been demanding for more than two years as part of a nationwide campaign backed by the labor union SEIU. Thanks in part to labor movement pressure, Seattle and San Francisco have approved a $15 minimum wage in the past year, and various other cities and states have raised their wage floors above $7.25 an hour, the current federal minimum.

Industry groups such as the International Franchise Association have denounced the demands for a $15 wage floor as irresponsible.

“Mandating wages would lead to higher prices for consumers, lower foot traffic and sales for franchise owners, and ultimately, lost jobs and opportunities for employees to become managers or franchise owners,” said International Franchise Association President and CEO Steve Caldeira in August. “The franchise industry is a proven job creator and career builder, yet efforts to double the minimum wage to $15 would clearly jeopardize opportunities for existing and prospective employees."

In other parts of the world, the fast-food industry pays its lowest-wage employees considerably more. Burger King and McDonald’s employees in Denmark, for example, tend to earn at least $20 per hour. In Australia the standard minimum wage is AU $16.87, or $13.39 in U.S. dollars.

For people interested in research and journalism and stuff.

@ bold: you know what that means? Increased youth unemployment. More young people going further into their lives on average without gaining job skills with which to advance their lives. Look at the youth unemployment rate in France (~25% - 2.5 times the main rate) or Denmark (11.4% - almost 3 times the main rate), while the US has a smaller divide (12.4% - 2 times the main rate).

@ second bold: Stop acting like flipping burgers is a career. It's incredibly low-skilled.
Gold: 0.76
Jan 30 2015 06:09am
Quote (Santara @ 30 Jan 2015 06:40)
@ bold: you know what that means? Increased youth unemployment. More young people going further into their lives on average without gaining job skills with which to advance their lives. Look at the youth unemployment rate in France (~25% - 2.5 times the main rate) or Denmark (11.4% - almost 3 times the main rate), while the US has a smaller divide (12.4% - 2 times the main rate).

@ second bold: Stop acting like flipping burgers is a career. It's incredibly low-skilled.

but with the ever increasing replacement of skilled/unskilled labor with automation there are more adult family heads that are trying to stay off public aid, trying to take care of their families by filling these jobs. So much of the manufacturing business has relocated overseas, that the service industry is one of the few places for one of the many displaced workers to go. In truth I'd love to see the student unemployment rate at 11.4% and the main rate 1/3 of that. Whit a high student age unemployment rate more kids, who can more easily afford part time and menial work hopefully this would be a push toward higher education.

at bolded who would you rather pay more the person who feeds you, and could quite possibly under cook that burger just enough to not kill all the bacteria in the cheapest beef the buyer can buy. or the 3rd. string right fielder of a farm team in a mid sized city? Which job is more important? the one that could potentially cause many people to get very sick or die, or a bench warmer with little to no chance to entertain anybody?
Gold: 285.00
Jan 30 2015 06:37am
Quote (Santara @ Jan 30 2015 06:40am)

Doesn't matter if it is low skill. All jobs these days are low skilled for the most part...machines do the hard stuff.

Also, some people might have the opinion that being on your feet all day, moving around, and assembling products at a breakneck pace does take some skill and endurance, even if people don't respect the nature of their work.

When you say youth are you meaning people below 18 years old? If so, then so what? I'm not that worried about teenager summer jobs.

Quote (thundercock @ Jan 29 2015 11:56pm)

Cashier - $5.25 per hour

Why would they have to obey your arbitrary little "fire half the workforce rule"? That is stupid. They probably couldn't get back with half the work force.....and really, fuck, don't run a business if you can't afford to pay for your labor.

Also, it pisses me off beyond belief that I've had college classes graded by teachers assistants that I'm usually much stronger than. I feel like since they have a PhD, tenure, etc, they can look at my work. I've gotten some poorly graded stuff back.

This post was edited by Skinned on Jan 30 2015 06:41am
Gold: 1,152.00
Jan 30 2015 09:36am
Quote (PlasmaSnake101 @ Jan 29 2015 11:58pm)
Also, I use condoms

lol, plebe
Gold: 12,730.67
Jan 30 2015 09:36pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jan 30 2015 04:37am)

Why would they have to obey your arbitrary little "fire half the workforce rule"? That is stupid. They probably couldn't get back with half the work force.....and really, fuck, don't run a business if you can't afford to pay for your labor.

Also, it pisses me off beyond belief that I've had college classes graded by teachers assistants that I'm usually much stronger than. I feel like since they have a PhD, tenure, etc, they can look at my work. I've gotten some poorly graded stuff back.

Because you and I both know that the work isn't worth $15.00 per hour. If you want to make that sort of money, you have to produce enough to make it worth it.

As for your college classes, you get what you pay for. I imagine you're attending a research university where teaching isn't the number one priority. You can't expect the professor to do that sort of menial work....they have to run their labs and produce research. I recommend going to your professor's office hours if you want legitimate feedback on your work. That's probably your best bet.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev17374757677280Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll