d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > 2014 Midterm Elections > State Of Play Update
Prev1212223242526Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 20.31
Oct 28 2014 02:50am
Again, take the conspiracy theory shit elsewhere. There's no appetite for it here.

Quote (New Ranges)
House: D+0 - R+9 
Senate: R+2 - R+8
Governors: D/I +7 - R+1 - [Shift: <-] (MI-GOV, FL-GOV)

Governors: Republicans are continuing the blame game mentioned earlier, and their panic is spilling over into other races. While their outlook has improved greatly in some states (mainly Massachusetts, now their second-best pickup opportunity behind Arkansas) they are starting to really sweat in the high-profile races that this cycle is really about. There could be some real trading among the small-scale governorships this year in states like Arkansas, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Kansas, Alaska, and Maine, but the real battle is over the big prize governorships of Pennsylvania, Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Colorado.

Democrats were a lock months ago to pick up PA and both sides agree that their incumbent in CO is probably a small favorite to be reelected. That puts much of the focus on WI, MI, and FL, where three Republican incumbents are facing stiff challenges. The Democrats are the narrowest of favorites in FL despite being massively outspent, and Republicans have long been putting their hopes in Scott Walker and Rick Snyder to hold the GOP's most valuable governorships. The conservative Weekly Standard really started the "blame Christie" mantra that took hold recently as Scott Walker's campaign has sounded the alarm over how close the race is. The published another article [See: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/two-weeks-out-rga-reduces-spending-target-wisconsin_817099.html?nopager=1#.VEqgUCrX4L1.twitter] that took the RGA to town for disparities over how much they're willing to support Walker in the final weeks. Snyder in MI has a much better money edge over his opponent than Walker, but the early vote totals suggest that his race is just as close. The RGA has become the punching bag for Republicans who are unnerved at the possibility of losing the important governorships and only being left with less-consequential seats in smaller states. The RGA is getting blasted for dropping and then doubling-down on an ad that peddles outright falsehoods in CO [See: http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/] and their new ad in FL isn't going over well either [See: http://politicalwire.com/archives/2014/10/27/new_attack_ad_links_crist_to_sex_trafficking.html]

Expect Chris Christie to get the blame next week unless the Republicans get lucky and pull out some narrow victories across these 10-11 states. With him at the helm the RGA made many questionable decisions about where to place their money and considering their ability to accept limitless massive checks there's no excuse for their candidates to not hold large funding edges in every race. If Walker in particular goes down then Christie will have a major target on his back.
Gold: 8,933.00
Oct 28 2014 07:30am
Quote (Pollster @ Oct 28 2014 03:50am)
Again, take the conspiracy theory shit elsewhere. There's no appetite for it here.

Given your affinity for shit, and inability to put 2 and 2 together, I am unconcerned with your appetite. Just like several Democrat Senators are facing an ethics investigation over pushing the levers of government to stifle their political competition, there is little reason to think it isn't at play here given the circumstances.
Gold: 285.00
Oct 28 2014 07:35am
Quote (Santara @ Oct 28 2014 08:30am)
Given your affinity for shit, and inability to put 2 and 2 together, I am unconcerned with your appetite. Just like several Democrat Senators are facing an ethics investigation over pushing the levers of government to stifle their political competition, there is little reason to think it isn't at play here given the circumstances.

Nixon said something along the lines of politics being the art of helping your friends and punishing your enemies.

They all do it, it is like you're accusing politicians of being politicians. We know :lol: I think that deep down even JayQ knows that they're all morally compromised crooks, but elections are like sports to him and he has his teams he likes and I can't blame him for that as I feel the same in a lot of ways...Jay is more like an OCD bookie in Vegas who really really likes a certain team :lol:

As for me the big election I'm watching is the Wisconsin governors race. There doesn't even seem like much of a reason to vote in Ohio this cycle. I'm gonna show up for David Pepper but I'm not hopeful he will unseat DeWine for AG.

This post was edited by Skinned on Oct 28 2014 07:41am
Gold: 8,933.00
Oct 28 2014 09:00am
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 28 2014 08:35am)
Nixon said something along the lines of politics being the art of helping your friends and punishing your enemies.

They all do it, it is like you're accusing politicians of being politicians.  We know  :lol:  I think that deep down even JayQ knows that they're all morally compromised crooks, but elections are like sports to him and he has his teams he likes and I can't blame him for that as I feel the same in a lot of ways...Jay is more like an OCD bookie in Vegas who really really likes a certain team  :lol:

As for me the big election I'm watching is the Wisconsin governors race.  There doesn't even seem like much of a reason to vote in Ohio this cycle.  I'm gonna show up for David Pepper but I'm not hopeful he will unseat DeWine for AG.

And Nixon is held up to be the opposite of a pinnacle of virtue, and faced impeachment over his actions. Obama has actually pulled off far worse than Nixon, and people don't even bat an eye anymore.

WI is definitely the top spectator race to watch. Super close, with lots of punditry fodder in the offing over the results.
Oct 28 2014 09:09am
Quote (Santara @ Oct 28 2014 10:00am)
And Nixon is held up to be the opposite of a pinnacle of virtue, and faced impeachment over his actions. Obama has actually pulled off far worse than Nixon, and people don't even bat an eye anymore.

WI is definitely the top spectator race to watch. Super close, with lots of punditry fodder in the offing over the results.

Last great president was Truman, IMO. Kennedy had potential.
Gold: 7,252.72
Oct 28 2014 09:09am
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 28 2014 09:35am)

They all do it, it is like you're accusing politicians of being politicians.  We know  :lol:  I think that deep down even JayQ knows that they're all morally compromised crooks, but elections are like sports to him and he has his teams he likes and I can't blame him for that as I feel the same in a lot of ways...Jay is more like an OCD bookie in Vegas who really really likes a certain team  :lol:

As for me the big election I'm watching is the Wisconsin governors race.  There doesn't even seem like much of a reason to vote in Ohio this cycle. I'm gonna show up for David Pepper but I'm not hopeful he will unseat DeWine for AG.

....aarggh , I can understand why you oppose Dewine but Pepper is a Yaley elite with zero experience for the job...and a shitty parker to boot.....just stay home :thumbsup:
Oct 28 2014 09:31am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Oct 28 2014 10:09am)
....aarggh , I can understand why you oppose Dewine but Pepper is a Yaley elite with zero experience for the job...and a shitty parker to boot.....just stay home  :thumbsup:

Fred Kudrata, our congressional district 1 Democrat running against Steve Chabot is much worse :p

Definition of carpetbagger. I'm pretty sure he even ran as a Republican in a few elections....he just wants to win an office so bad lol. When I met him I asked if he had any ideas on how to deal with skyrocketing homeless due to mental illness in his district and he started talking about school shootings and trying a gun control bill to a mental health bill, obviously pandering to who he thought I was. The guy who ran against him in the Democratic congressional primary was a local college professor from the area who mentioned Plato in his platform, so I was obviously disappointed when this spray-tanned turd curbstomped him at the polls.

Even in state legislature election we have Democrat Thomas vs. Republican Winburn. Retired police officer Cecil Thomas, when he was on city council, was part of a bill that turned possession of under 400 grams of marijuana from a ticketable offense to a criminal offense with long jail sentences and up to $10k fines for possession. This has lead to such a heavy burden on our incarceration systems that the sheriff's department is constantly begging for money, plus for a black leader doing something like that has thrown thousands and thousands of young black men in jail and ruined their future chances of employment and leaving them dependent on entitlements, which is unconscionable. Winburn is highly respected by both sides of the isle here in Cincinnati and even our (not very liberal) Democrat mayor praises him. He has strong support in the black community, especially the middle class.

The GOP is just the better party in Ohio at the moment, at least in my part of it. I know there are some loons that get in office from rural and small town Ohio, and that is what gives me the most hesitation to give the GOP the keys completely in the state, and honestly opposition to their kind of agenda would be my choice if I do vote. I don't want to vote against the better candidate for political pragmatism though. You see my conundrum.
Oct 28 2014 09:38am
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 28 2014 11:31am)
Fred Kudrata, our congressional district 1 Democrat running against Steve Chabot is much worse :p

Definition of carpetbagger.  I'm pretty sure he even ran as a Republican in a few elections....he just wants to win an office so bad lol.  When I met him I asked if he had any ideas on how to deal with skyrocketing homeless due to mental illness in his district and he started talking about school shootings and trying a gun control bill to a mental health bill, obviously pandering to who he thought I was.  The guy who ran against him in the Democratic congressional primary was a local college professor from the area who mentioned Plato in his platform, so I was obviously disappointed when this spray-tanned turd curbstomped him at the polls.

Even in state legislature election we have Democrat Thomas vs. Republican Winburn.  Retired police officer Cecil Thomas, when he was on city council, was part of a bill that turned possession of under 400 grams of marijuana from a ticketable offense to a criminal offense with long jail sentences and up to $10k fines for possession.  This has lead to such a heavy burden on our incarceration systems that the sheriff's department is constantly begging for money, plus for a black leader doing something like that has thrown thousands and thousands of young black men in jail and ruined their future chances of employment and leaving them dependent on entitlements, which is unconscionable.  Winburn is highly respected by both sides of the isle here in Cincinnati and even our (not very liberal) Democrat mayor praises him.  He has strong support in the black community, especially the middle class.

The GOP is just the better party in Ohio at the moment, at least in my part of it.  I know there are some loons that get in office from rural and small town Ohio, and that is what gives me the most hesitation to give the GOP the keys completely in the state, and honestly opposition to their kind of agenda would be my choice if I do vote.  I don't want to vote against the better candidate for political pragmatism though.  You see my conundrum.

...I was actually going to make a thread for us Ohioans and urge everyone to maintain the status quo . The turnaround in our economic status has been so profound I'm surprised that Kasich doesn't get more national buzz .
Oct 28 2014 09:46am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Oct 28 2014 10:38am)
...I was actually going to make a thread for us Ohioans and urge everyone to maintain the status quo . The turnaround in our economic status has been so profound I'm surprised that Kasich doesn't get more national buzz .

Well I'm not organizing or otherwise rallying the troops this cycle, and I think I'm more politically active than the average person. I'm pretty sure nobody is wanting to rock the boat.

And you're right, I've actually seen businesses move their headquarters from Northern Kentucky and South East Indiana move across the border here in Ohio. There is a big to do about the Cincinnati International Airport which is actually in Northern KY and people on the board being from Ohio. People on the board arguing against Ohio having three seats (Cincinnati Mayors office, Ohio Gov, and some other representative) had little bitchfits about Kasich stealing businesses, and honestly it made me happy to read that. There is no greater testament to success than bitter tears of defeated enemies :thumbsup:

I know quite a few blue collar liberal voters who like Kasich. The way he didn't just press on with an ideological war against the unions impressed me. He seen how divided his state was and didn't just disenfranchise half the state like Scott Walker did. Zealots with power scare me. I'm glad Walker's star is falling and Kasich's star is rising. I always believed the strength of the GOP was in the quality of its governors.
Oct 28 2014 09:54am
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 28 2014 11:46am)
Well I'm not organizing or otherwise rallying the troops this cycle, and I think I'm more politically active than the average person.  I'm pretty sure nobody is wanting to rock the boat.

And you're right, I've actually seen businesses move their headquarters from Northern Kentucky and South East Indiana move across the border here in Ohio.  There is a big to do about the Cincinnati International Airport which is actually in Northern KY and people on the board being from Ohio.  People on the board arguing against Ohio having three seats (Cincinnati Mayors office, Ohio Gov, and some other representative) had little bitchfits about Kasich stealing businesses, and honestly it made me happy to read that.  There is no greater testament to success than bitter tears of defeated enemies  :thumbsup:

I know quite a few blue collar liberal voters who like Kasich.  The way he didn't just press on with an ideological war against the unions impressed me.  He seen how divided his state was and didn't just disenfranchise half the state like Scott Walker did.  Zealots with power scare me.  I'm glad Walker's star is falling and Kasich's star is rising.  I always believed the strength of the GOP was in the quality of its governors.

...I really think Kasich's biggest drawback on the Presidential level is how bad he looks on HD TV . It's a sad commentary when physical appearance is such a large part of the decision making process but it's the reality .
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1212223242526Next
Closed New Topic New Poll