d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Path of Exile > Strategy & Guides > Burn Them To Ashes - Righteous Fire Guide
123Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 27,500.00
Apr 24 2014 02:56am
Preamble: Before I start write anything, let me throw in a few thoughts. My english is not the best, but I am always open for any criticism or help to improve my language.
Moreover I know there are few / several Righteous fire guides around, which are basically all the same, but I try to bring in my own thoughts, probably some improvements. Don't blame / insult me please for copying anything, I
give my best not to copy anything
, but we all know it's not possible to rearrange this build completely. And now - Enjoy the guide

Burn them to Ashes - Righteous fire guide by Barn3y_Gumble

1. Introduction

2. Why use Righteous Fire - a Pro & Con overview

3. Facts and myths about the gem "Righteous Fire"

4. Leveling & Skill tree

5. Gearing & Gems

6. Let's go owning - Precast and Tactics

7. Improvements to make with more budget and Conclusion

1. Introduction

So, I decided to make a new char. For myself, it had to be something which is more or less cheap, effective and fun to play - Hard to find. I read some guides, checked a few Forum posts, and the conclusion I made was: It will be a righteous fire.
And so far, I don't regret it. Atziri was killed, and nearly each boss in-game is killable.

2. Why use Righteous Fire - a Pro & Con overview

As always, there is a good and a bad side. But I (for myself) came to the conclusion that Righteous fire is overall really really good. I may just start with the cons:

Cons - what hurts:

--> Righteous fire is a degeneration of life, which doesn't affect totems. This is more a small con, but can be really awful (Map mod "Area contains many totems")
--> Till level 65 you will not be able to use righteous fire, this come from "Rise of the Phoenix shield" which may only be used from lvl 65, see more about this later
--> Following map mods are NOT doable:
------- > Player regenerate life and mana 50% Slower
------- > Players have no mana or life recovery
------- > Players have blood magic (well you can tbh, but you will be less effective than you normally would be)
------- > Players are cursed with vulnerability
-------> -x% to maximum player Resistances
--> You need the 2 Exalt shield: Rise of the Phoenix (well but 2Exalts isn't much, doable for any player in my opinion)

Pros - what is fine:

--> You can go as Marauder or as Scion, the one which you prefer!
--> Slays Atziri
--> Around 42k damage per second with gear for less than 5 Exalts (see more in 5. you find a detailed damage calculation there)
--> Maximum 4 links needed to get full damage
--> Overall a cheap gear, with only Rise of the Phoenix as required item
--> Really high mobility, because you don't need to stand still for doing damage - you can move fully while dealing full damage. This is really the best aspect of this build
--> More life result in more damage, meaning life nodes improve your damage & your survivability!
--> More or less you are immune to fire damage (Void bearer won't touch you)

3. Facts and myths about the gem "Righteous Fire"

Righteous Fire:

Here is a link to Righteous fire gem: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Righteous_Fire

As you see, Righteous fire Burns enemies for 50% or your Life and Energy Shield, but also burns yourself for 90% as fire damage. This fact has the result, that we have to take nearly each % life regen node in skill tree, as well as all +Maximum Fire resistance node available in tree. (See more in 4.)

It's not really hard to sustains righteous fire: With a level 16 Purity of Fire we get 3% from it (even more later). Also we take Diamond Skin in Marauder tree (+1% max resist), the points behind which again gives +1%.
Also we need to take Elemental Adaption for more +2% maximum resistances.
Rise of the phoenix give epic 8% to maximum resistances, this is why we need it.

So we get: 75 +1 +1 +2 +3 +8= 90%. Our 90% degen from live turns into 0.9 * (1 - 0.9) = 9.0% life drained per second. With a level 17 Vitality (1.5%) and all nodes take at level 65 we get 11.6% regen per second => Easy sustained. Remeber that it will get more at level 20 Purity of fire, because 3 Max resist go to 4 Max resist.

Damage:

Here is the formula how I calculate my Righteous fire damage, because you can't check it with pressing "c" (it's a degen and therefore not shown)

I calculate my damage at 6000 Life and 1000 Energy shield with active discipline and carcass Jack.

Damage % from tree:
60 % Increased Burning damage (Holy Fire area)
28 % from top left "Increased effect of auras you cast"
8 % Increased area damage from Amplify

Damage % from Gems:
59 % from Increased burning damage
69 % from Concentrated effect

Damage % from gear:
12% Increased area damage (Carcass jack)
200% from red beak

This overall adds up to: 436% Increased damage

[(6000 + 1000)]*0.5*[(100+436)/100] = 18760 DPS

Hitting enemies with Elemental weakness (Another 49% less fire resistances): 18760 * 1.48 ~ 28000 Damage per second.
Triggering Elemental Equilibrium : 28000 * 1.5 = 42000 DPS

Pure and hard facts:

--> Righteous fire has increased spell damage on itself, but this does not scale with Righteous fire damage. It improves possible other spells you use
--> Increased Item Rarity works with Righteous fire
--> Increased Item Quantity works with Righteous fire
--> Due to it's degeneration character, Righteous fire does not trigger elemental equilibrium. This is nice!

4. Leveling & Skill tree

You need level 65, and until this level you will be more or less useless. Generally, there are 2 ways of leveling:

--> Be hard and just level without taking any regards on your damage, meaning you ledge to 60, than do Dock runs to 65
--> Take some melee damage nodes in marauder tree, which you have to regret later. If you choose this way, Face breakers with Infernal Blow - Melee Splash - Melee Physical damage - Multistrike will do a more or less ok damage till 65.
The facebreaker way would be improved by Flat physical damage items, something like 2 x Blackheart Rings, Meginord's Girlde and Physical Rolled amulet combined with % Helm. (As a shield, I would recommend Crest of perandus because of high % block chance,
medium life and and Life leech)

What I did to get 65: I used Spectral Throw - Lesser Multiple Projectiles - Added Fire damage - Faster attacks in 4l Gloves. Even better if you budget for Tabula rasa to get 6links, but its also ok with 4links.

Bandits reward to take:
Normal : Oak (40 life is just overpowered)
Cruel : + 1 passive
Merciless : + 1 passive

Skill points at level 65: 64 from leveling, 2 from bandits, 18 from non bandit quest, so 84 to spend at level 65.

Skill tree at level 65: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABAnEEswUtC2EMXxJpFE0VIBccGNsZhRpsIWAkqicvJ9Uo-ipNLOku_zGeNZI26TwtPydAoEGHSn1KyEz_TeNQUFuvXz9gS2egaHRuqnF5dO108XgNeWh674LHgziHdojxkAqUoJitna6euaIPpKymV6cIqBipbq1Kr2y18rc-uJO8n8EExFjFisauzSbYTdpi3Q3jauOf6-7vDu988B_yL_Pd-ej8xf4K_o8=

My current skill tree (lvl 81): http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAAnEEswUtC2EMXxJpFE0VIBZvFxwY2xmFGmwhYCSqJy8n1Sj6KaUqTSzpLv8xnjWSNuk64TwtPydAoEGHSn1KyEz_TipQUFXGWGNbr18_YEtnoGh0bBZuqnF5dO108XgNeWh674LHgziD24d2iPGPRpAKlKCYrZ2unrmiAKIPpKymV6cIqBipbq1Kr2y18rc-uJO8n8EExFjFisauxtjNJs5xz2XQ0NhN2mLdDeNq45_r7u8O73zwH_Iv8kXz3fno_Ev8xf4K

What I aim for at level 90: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAAnEEswUtC2EMXxJpFE0VIBZvFxwXLxjbGYUabCFgJKoksCcvJ9Uo-imlKk0s6S7_MZ41kjbpOuE8BTwtPfw_J0CgQYdKfUrITP9OKlBQVcZYY1uvXz9gS2egaHRsFm6qcXl07XTxeA15aHrvgKSCx4M4g9uG0Yd2iPGMz49GkAqUoJitna6euZ_fogCiD6SsplenCKgYqW6tSq9stfK3PriTvJ_BBMRYxYrGrsbYzSbOcc9l0NDYTdpi3Q3jauOf6-7vDu988B_yL_JF8932SPno-tL8S_zF_go=

So basically: From level 65 on aim for more life and some increased aura area % nodes. Just a suggestion, but also the recommendation I can give.

5. Gearing & Gems

The Gear:

The one and only possible choice for Shield is : Rise of the Phoenix. We need the +8% maximum fire Resistance mod, and this gives us no room for any other choice.

And for the rest of the gear? We are pretty free to choose any item we want... In general we look for following stats:

-> Bases we look for: Coral Base for rings, Leather Base for belt. Boots, Gloves and helm can be really, choose the ones which match best to gems (You will not get 4red links in an evasion base within 100Chormatics)
-> Maximum life (More life => More damage and survivability)
-> Resistances (As always, hit full resistances. Note that you need 90+ Maximum fire resistances, better to have more. If a curse like Flammability hits us, we still don't die than)
-> Chaos Resistances (Always good to have some, and because we don't need Physical Damage or other expensive mods on gear, it's easy to grab some)
-> Strength ( 2 Strength = 1 Maximum Life)

Of course, some magic find doesn't hurt too.

Despite you are free, I wanna give you some ideas especially for weapon andarmor:

There are some unique weapons around which fits good:

--> Aurumvorax : http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Aurumvorax ~ really high resistances, if you struggle to get them from other gear parts. It's for sure a decent choice, probably not the best but the cheapest
--> Doon Cuebiyari : http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Doon_Cuebiyari ~ I used this for some time, quite nice damage increase if you soc Flameblast in it to kill those totems.
--> Divinarius : http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Divinarius ~ 10% More aura radius makes this the best choice, but also the most expensive. As said: It's not needed, if you want go cheap get Aurumvorax
--> Redbeak : http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Redbeak ~ 100% damage on lowlife for snap shooting our Righteous fire damage, read more in 6.

Unique chest armors that might help:

--> Carcass Jack : http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Carcass_Jack ~ area damage, life and elemental resistances. Just a nice armor, and for 2 Exalts affordable
--> Belly of the beast : http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Belly_of_the_Beast ~ epic % life and some resist, also quite cheap and nice armor
--> Kaoms Heart : http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Kaoms_Heart ~ Well, I name it as last for this reason: It's with around 34 Exalts price not affordable for most player, it's no MUST. But for sure, it's the best choice you can make
And for the helm, rings, belt, boots and gloves --> Search for the named stats above!

The Gems:

For explanation: I named the gems which I use, and I show where I have them. Of course you can also put them in another item, whatever you like and how you roll colors!

Righteous fire > Increased Burning damage > Increased area of effect > Concentrated effect (Chest)
Added Cold Damage > Whirling Blades > Blood magic > Faster attacks (Helm)
Reduced Mana > Grace > Purity of fire > Vitality (Gloves)
Elemental weakness > Increased area of effect > Faster casting > Blood magic (Boots)
Flame blast > Concentrated effect > Blood magic (Weapon)
Cast when damage take > Enduring cry > Ice Nova (Shield)
Discilpline > Blood magic > Reduced Mana (on Redbeak switch for precast)

Why added cold damage? To trigger elemental equilibrium on dealing a hit
Why Ice Nova? To trigger elemental equilibrium on being hit

Our Potions:

--> Ruby flasks. Activating this flasks puts us at 100% fire resistances, so Righteous fire doesn't do any damage => We get full health regen (around 11% per second) which is really much
--> Granite Flask , armor is always nice
--> Quicksilver flask

What I use: Ruby Ruby Ruby Granite Quicksilver

If you feel like rolling affixes on them, aim for "Increased charge recovery" or "more charges" as well as "more armor / evasion during flask effect"

6. Let's go owning - Precast and Tactics

And here we got ~ how do I turn on Righteous fire??

Let me say at first: You can NOT TURN OFF Righteous fire by simple recasting, like you could with an aura. Once used it imprints on your character like a curse, and can only be removed when you hit 1hp or by using a flask "of dousing" which removes curses.

This fact is definitely not a disadvantage ~ you gain 200% more damage. But why? Let me explain what you do:

> Activate all your auras (you need lvl 19 reduced mana or more to run 3 Auras, if it's not level that high just leave grace in the beginning)
> Go to switch and turn on Discipline linked with blood magic to get on lowlife (Every other aura works as long as you get below 35% of maximum life, but discipline gives energy shield and therefore some damage)
> Turn now on Righteous fire, and repeatedly switch to main gear via "X". If you are not fast enough, righteous fire burns you too 1 life and goes of. For more time use one of your Ruby flasks as a help
> Do this in a silent area with no monster, as you need to reg up before you can go fighting.

This is called, snapshot. Righteous fire is activated while you are on lowlife, and therefore you get the 200% more damage from redbeak. As it's an imprint, the bonus damage will remain even after reaching more than 35% life.

I for myself switch armor after snap shooting, to a Belly of the beast for more life. It's possible to take out Righteous fire gem, because it's a degeneration.

And how to play this char? Pretty simple. You just curse and kill. When you take damage, cast when damage taken gem will trigger an Ice Nova, and the Ice nova triggers elemental equilibrium for us.
If you do not want to rely on indirect Ice Nova castig, you just use Whirling Blades towards your target to trigger Elemental Equilibrium.
Just keep active, don't be a statue and try to face tank everything, because you can't. I also can't face tank Atziri, but I can kill her with figuring out tactics and movements of her!

7. Improvements to make with more budget and Conclusion

For sure, I have to get a Koam's heart. With it's epic life add and Fire damage it would really improve my overall damage & survivability

Moreover you could also get a 5l Carcass and linked Item Rarity, or even a 6l and get Increased Item Quantity (Only on standard, as it's a legacy gem)

So, this way my guide. I tried not to copy anything, but somewhere you always find something like it. As it's not a report, I just skip to show my sources. I hope I could help you to get started, moreover you may always PM[/B] me for any other questions which I left open.
I always have an open ear to questions and giving my best to help you guys!

Special Thanks too:
Zakrent for helping me out with tactics
bodierox for rereading and spell correcting

Cheers & best Regards, Barn3y_Gumble

This post was edited by Sgull on Apr 26 2014 09:26am
Gold: Locked
Apr 24 2014 04:03am
good job m8
Apr 24 2014 04:10am
Quote (zakrent @ Apr 24 2014 10:03am)
good job m8

ty for vouch, and ty again for detailed help!
Gold: 2,760.00
Apr 25 2014 07:31am
Very nice guide, I like the layout too :-)
If I want to make an RF build, I will come back to this topic :D

You need to be careful with 'increased damage' and 'more damage' and your damage calculations. I have not checked if your calculations are correct though.
Apr 25 2014 07:42am
Quote (lamer30 @ Apr 25 2014 01:31pm)
Very nice guide, I like the layout too :-)
If I want to make an RF build, I will come back to this topic :D

You need to be careful with 'increaseddamage' and 'moredamage' and your damage calculations. I have not checked if your calculations are correct though.

I know, called a senior mod to change this for me =)

Ty for feedback !
Gold: 3.00
Warn: 10%
Apr 26 2014 12:06am
Should you take the holy strength node? Are you sure that 3% effect on you isn't a bad thing?

Also, how are you killing totems?

Lastly, is that Path of the Warrior node really more important to get than trying to get to sovereignty as fast as possible?

This post was edited by xu-godx on Apr 26 2014 12:10am
Warn: 10%
Apr 26 2014 01:35am
btw: rise of the phoenix gives 8% max fire resist, not 6%.

and..... Flammability gives burn duration with quality, so wouldn't that make it a better choice?

I'm lvl 64 so i'm nearly ready to start using my RF and I just wanted to be sure of all these things first :)

This post was edited by xu-godx on Apr 26 2014 01:39am
Gold: 3,051.20
Apr 26 2014 01:37am
Quote (xu-godx @ Apr 26 2014 01:06am)
Should you take the holy strength node?  Are you sure that 3% effect on you isn't a bad thing?

Lastly, is that Path of the Warrior node really more important to get  than trying to get to sovereignty as fast as possible?

The 3% effect will increase the burn damage dealt to yourself.
Most RF builds will skip this node.
Apr 26 2014 03:22am
Quote (xu-godx @ Apr 26 2014 06:06am)
Should you take the holy strength node?  Are you sure that 3% effect on you isn't a bad thing?

Lastly, is that Path of the Warrior node really more important to get  than trying to get to sovereignty as fast as possible?

Quote (xu-godx @ Apr 26 2014 07:35am)
btw:  rise of the phoenix gives 8% max fire resist, not 6%.

and.....  Flammability gives burn duration with quality, so wouldn't that make it a better choice?

I'm lvl 64 so i'm nearly ready to start using my RF and I just wanted to be sure of all these things first  :)

first of al, ty for your feed back :)

a mediator was pmd about that 6% which are wrong, they will update this soon :)

and I use elemental weakness because i mostly play in groups, and therefote I help others

moreover you always burn enemies when hit with RF so the increased burning duration is no need :)

and totemkills: flameblast conc effect bloox magic ;) due to your increased spelldamage from RF you oneshot each totem

edit: if anynore questions, feel free to post or pm :)

This post was edited by Barn3y_Gumble on Apr 26 2014 03:28am
Apr 26 2014 11:35am
Great guide
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic