d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > Cheese's Mf/pvm Hammerdin Guide. >
12318Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.50
Sep 22 2005 11:02pm
Cheese's PvM (Player Vs. Monster)/MF (Magic Find) Hammerdin Guide

Well, this guide is setup to get you GREAT defence, MAX block, Max Resistances, and decent MF %.

This build will keep you alive for quite some time, once you learn to tele/conc with the hammerdin.

Now, this build isn't REALLY expensive, the highest priced items will be obvious, others will be much easier to get.

Gear:

Armor: Archon Plate or Dusk Shroud Enigma
Armor 2: Vipermagi OR Que-Hagens
Main Weapon: Heart Of The Oak Flail (39+ Res, or any % res if using anni and/or torch)
Main Weapon 2: Wizspike/Spirit crystal sword
Main Sheild: Herald Of Zakarum (up'd or Non up'd, both will work for this build (Socketed with an UM rune))
Main Sheild 2: High base res, low str req Pala only spirit.
Helm: Shako (Socketed with am Um Rune, or P Topaz if using anni/torch)
Helm 2: Peasent Crown
Gloves: Chancies (36-40% MF Mod)
Gloves 2: Magefists
Boots: War Travelers (45-50% MF Mod)
Boots 2: Rare boots with Res/FHR/FRW/MF
Ring 1: Nagel/Rare ring with 30%+ MF/Reses
Ring 2: Nagel/Rare ring with 30%+ MF/Reses Or an Stone of Jordan Or a Bul-Kathos Wedding Band
Amulet: 29+ maras (Or any % res if using anni/torch)
Amulet 2: Rare + Pala Skills/MF/Res/Life/Mana amulet (if no mara's can be found)
Belt: Arach Mesh
Belt 2: 1x-2x UP'd Gold Wrap//Tals belt
::Optional::
Weapon Switch: ANY Call To Arms (Flail or Crystal Sword)
Sheild Switch: Lidless OR Paladin Spirit (for the + Skills)

Stats: (this is based on not having a Hell Fire Torch, or Anni).
It is also a little "Gear" specific, you will understand what I mean by that as you read on.
Base Stats should be laid out as follows:
Str: 82; If using an Archon Enigma, 70 If using a Dusk Shroud Enigma
Dex: 100; Will give you MAX block % (with holy sheild cast) at level 80 (you may need to put more base after lvl 90+)
Vit: EVERYTHING ELSE
Energy: None
*Note: These stats are based on NO anni or torch in your invintory, and you will beable to use all gear at level 67 (without charms). If using charms, simply subtract the Str (not dex) from the required amount mentioned above.

Skills to max in order, as well as others that you will appriciate.
Combat Skills | Offensive Auras | Defensive Auras
20 Blessed Hammer
1 Holy Sheild
20 Concentration
1 Redemption
20 Blessed Aim
20 Vigor
19 Holy Sheild
There is a VERY small chance you will get 20 into Holy Sheild, but that is the remaining skill to max.

What hotkeys/skills to set:
On Left Click:
F2- Holy Sheild
F1- Blessed Hammer

On Right Click:
F3- Teleport (skill granted from Enigma)
F4- Concentration
F5- Only on CTA Switch: Battle command (cast this twice, and before going to F6)
F6- Only on CTA Switch: Battle Orders (cast twice, just to be sure you get it)
F7- Redemption (use in those situations when you are out of mana/low on life and there are bodies on the ground)
F8- Vigor (Great for getting around in town biggrin.gif)

How to successfully use your freshly geared/stated Hammerdin
You will need to learn to "Name Lock" on your target, then teleport onto them and switch to Concentration during your teleport.
To do so simply:
Have Teleport set as your active skill;
Highlight your target (Mephisto for this example, as shown in http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/9566/screenshot0444if.jpg;
Right click while your target's name is highlighted (as seen in the example);
IMMEDIATLY after you right click, press F4 to switch to Concentration;
Once you are at your target with Concentration active, either hold shift and left click, or left click and hold it on your target.
________________________________________________________________________________

Hireling section (more commenly refered to as "Merc's".
From experminting with tons of different builds for Merc's with Hammerdins, I personaly find the following options/build to be the best.
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/basics/hirelings.shtml for a list of all Merc stats/skills from the Arreat Summit.

Type of merc:
Act 2 Merc is by far the best for Hammerdins.
Type | Difficulty| Aura Information about the auras can be found http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/paladin-defense.shtml

Defense |Hell/Normal | Defiance - Shielding himself and nearby companions within a glow of holy light, the Hireling girds himself to face the unjust in combat. By standing resolute and earnest in the face of opposition, his faith is his shield against harm.

Effect: Boosts the Defense of all party members.

Combat |Hell/Normal | Prayer - With this aura the Hireling basks himself and all he deems faithful in a warm, healing light. His prayers for salvation carry him through the direst situations, allowing him to heal even the deepest wounds in time.

Effect: Heals all party members.

Defense |Nightmare| Holy Freeze - Using this aura, the Hireling causes the temperature of the air around him to drop drastically, freezing the flesh of his enemies . Those so affected will find their movement drastically hindered and are easily dispatched back to the Hells from whence they spawned.

Effect: Periodically slows enemies nearby.

Player vs Player - This will slow but will not Freeze other Players.

Cold Resistances and Cannot Be Frozen Items will not affect Holy Freeze.

Personally, I perfer the Holy Freeze merc (slows down everyone around you) or the Defiance merc (boosts your and his defence).

Hireling Gear:
First off, I would like to point out that Ethereal items will NOT lose duribility on Hirelings, also Ethereal items have higher defence and damage then their non Ethereal equal.
Armor: Eth Fortitude (Ladder Only Runeword)/ Eth Stone.
Helm: Eth Andariel's Visage socketed with a Ral rune or jewel with +30% Fire Resistance (or Cham rune if you find your merc is useless when frozen)
Weapon: Eth Breath of the Dying War Pike/ Eth Doom Cryptic Axe/ Eth Insight Collosus Voulge or Cryptic Axe)/ Eth Obedience Cryptic Axe.

Your merc (with this gear) will be dealing massive damage; Have great Life Leach % (8%-10% From Andariel's Visage); Incredible Defence; Great life (from your Battle Orders); as well as high res's (from gear and his level)

Just try to keep in mind that the Hell and Normal difficulties both supply the same Aura merc, and your merc will grow and become stronger from leveling rather then being hired at a high level.

That concludes this guide (for now)
Hope it is helpfull to any and everyone out there looking to build a PvM/MF Hammerdin.

~Chad

Feel free to leave some feedback. It's the first guide I have written biggrin.gif

This post was edited by immortalcheese on Sep 20 2006 12:39am
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
Sep 23 2005 02:11pm
very nice, although there are alot of hammerdin guides out and i already know how to make one anyone new to them will have an easy time with this guide
Sep 26 2005 10:56pm
Cmon people, how about some feedback sad.gif
Gold: 404.00
Sep 26 2005 11:00pm
nice work chad

also, for those who dont really mf, you can still use treks as boots for the + str and +vita.

and spirit > lidless tongue.gif

and for those who are very cheap, you can always put a p.diamond in your hoz, you only lose about 3 res.

and a p.topaz for the hardcore mf'ers hehe

cheers!
Oct 6 2005 04:33pm
Wow.. Third page...

can't believe I gotta bump this...
Gold: 25.00
Oct 6 2005 04:35pm
Quote (IceBullet87 @ Sep 27 2005, 01:00 AM)
nice work chad

also, for those who dont really mf, you can still use treks as boots for the + str and +vita.

and spirit > lidless tongue.gif

and for those who are very cheap, you can always put a p.diamond in your hoz, you only lose about 3 res.

and a p.topaz for the hardcore mf'ers hehe

cheers!

P Topaz in a shield would add Lightning resist tongue.gif
Gold: 0.00
Oct 6 2005 04:36pm
Good job chad beb. Very organized and accurate. If I were a newb I'll definetly find this handy. happy.gif

--Hippie bier.gif
Gold: 959.26
Oct 6 2005 04:38pm
It is just a normal paladin guide with nagel chance and wt but nicely made gl on getting it in the sticky.
Oct 6 2005 04:50pm
Quote (gkorp @ Oct 6 2005, 06:38 PM)
It is just a normal paladin guide with nagel chance and wt but nicely made gl on getting it in the sticky.

First off, 1337 Posts ;-) (for gkorp)

Also, the only difference is that you would put one point into redemption whereas if pvp you would use that one point into holy sheild.

Also, Assume there are a few nubs out there that think STR is the best of the stats to max out and increase dmg.. etc..

If people follow it, you will be set for life, also, quite a few people like to use guides, just so they don't have to worry about messing their char up and remaking them smile.gif

~Chad
Gold: 75.75
Oct 8 2005 01:17pm
Hmmm, curious about this statement, "your merc will grow and become stronger from leveling rather then being hired at a high level."

To my understanding, Level of aura strength and strength of merc and resistances of merc = merc char level. To get this correct about what was said...

Example:

I purchased a NightMare Defensive Act 2 Merc when I was level 40. This same merc is still loyal to my Paladin when my Paladin is level 90(the merc is also level 90). Now, I have leveled this merc all the way from level 37 when I purchased/hired him.

The Point:

I no longer like his name(my merc)(Pratham). I choose to hire another NightMare Act 2 Defensive merc(the same type of merc) with my Paladin's level already being 90 at the time of purchase(I hire Emilio(also level 90(lol, 90 for the sake of arguement))). What you are saying in your guide is that my merc that leveled with my Paladin from level 37 to 90(Pratham(level 90)) is stronger than my newly hired merc(Emilio(also level 90))?

Please explain or give a link to the information on mercs that I have missed. I checked the Arreat Summit for information of this type. Ofcourse The Arreat Summit is plagued by apathy when it comes to updating information.

Thanks,

Duke
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
12318Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll