d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > Fire Sorc > Guide to ownage
12325Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,532.01
Jan 28 2007 03:49pm
Introduction

Hi there. Im Tom and I play fb sorc on europe ladder for few months now. Ive decited to write my own guide, because all other classes beside sorc have very detailed and high-level guides, while sorc, due to fact that people consider it as simple char, suffers lack of those. I consider myself as one of best allaround fbers on eu – there are many nice in svs, but not much guys can clear tvt better than me^^. Im sure not the best, but feel free to contact me and I will prove myself. Some of strats and ideas in guide are my own inventions, while ive learned most from friends. Strategies and Item build are based on Europe ladder rules, which are listed on Euro-pvp section of jsp forums.

Reasons to pick fire sorc
- Non-gear depending char. (U will fail with tal set though ^^)
- Non-manapots depending char. (Great for long lasting tvts.)
- Able to beat anyone in gm 1v1.
- Able to win 3v1 or even 4v1 situations agains players of same level to yours.
- No need for any item switches for specific matchups.

Item Build

Shako
Enigma
2x Soj
Arach
Frosts
Mana boots (30 frw / 10 fhr / 5x mana / +x replenish life / 5% max mana should be perfect)
Spirit
10 Fcr Amulet (Try to aim for similar to mine: 2 fire skills / 10 fcr / 29 strg / 93 mana / x fire res / x regen)
Cta+Eth Spirit on switch

2x Fire Skiller 12 Fhr
7x Fire Skiller 4x Life
Torch + Anni

Item choice discussion

icon_pointr.gif What to socket in Shako?
I suggest u keeping 3 different shakos in inventory. The one u will be using for tvt's should be socketed with 'dol', cus 7 life replenish really owns. Second should be socketet with 'perf saphire' or '20 life/20 mana' jewel for nice stat boost. Third socket, which should be similar to mine '9 strg 14 mana 8 all res 38 fire res' jewel will be used only in fire vs fire, due to anya bug. Read more about that in dueling strategies against fire sorcs.

icon_pointr.gif Enigma vs Coh
Both beeing awesome armors, makes it hard choice to pick. Coh provides huge resists and godly life replenish, while enigma gives more life, tons of mana (~300 after all %'s and bo), frw (which is very important) and life after each kill. Following europe ladder rules makes enigma only choice, cus replenish on sorc has cap of 20 (provided by hoto). Its up to u, which armor suits your playstyle more, but my personal choice is enigma. U can put dol in shako instead of psaphire to reach same life replenish as coh/hoto while u still have more mana. Another issue are resists which Are important no matter of 95 es (foh/blizz r pain without resi). If u r able to reach 75 resist on nm without counting in +30, which are provided by bugged anya quest, there is rly no reason for coh. If not, just dont forget to re-enter game after each death, when u play serious duels for score. Another reason why i pick enigma over coh is »14 life after each kill«, making druid's, wall spamming necros and amazon/assas with minions your friends. 14 doenst sound much but regarding to fact that sorc is master runner and is able to fight with ~100 hp, makes it very important factor. It also makes fight against some classes easier, cus life replenish animation shows u, that your opponent got hit and its time to rush.

icon_pointr.gif Sands vs Mana Boots
Main disadvantage of Mana boots is their price. 30 frw 10 fhr (at least aim for fhr) 5x mana 5% max mana and some adds as life replenish push price to ~3k fg for a pair and if u r not able to afford them, i would recommend sands over mana boots. Sands gives 10% more fhr, which enables u to replace fhr skiller with 4x lifer,15 vita equalls to 15 hp without bo, 15 strg equalls to 30 mana and 70 poison resi is useful in very limited situations. So overall, mana boots gives ~75 mana while sands giving 55 life, 30 mana and poison res (not including %'s from items and bo). If u can afford mana boots, go for them, but sands should also fit needs of every sorc.

icon_pointr.gif Hoto vs Rare Orbs and Eschuta
After testing alot, i simply cant recommend anything over Hoto. Life replenish (on low hp char) just makes it real bad-ass. Hoto is wonder, which allowes sorc to fight 4v1, makes ppl cry, take down any1… 1k extra dmg from Rare orb or eschuta can be usefull in some instances, for example fast duels like svs. Notice, that u need godly jewel to put in eschuta/orb, cus u will suffer resists (try to get similar to mine: 9 strg 14 mana 8 all res 38 fire res). I own one of best ladder rare orbs 2 sorc 20 fcr 3 fb 2 es 7x mana 2x life with free socket which enables me to reach 95 es without precast and combined with godly circlet provides insane dmg/life/mana, but u will just miss life replenish in long duels. I suggest keeping few setups in inventory and find weapon which suits u best, but Hoto gets my vote.

icon_pointr.gif Shako vs Rare Circ
Same issue as in case of Mana boots vs Sands. If u can afford circlet, worth ~5k fg (with 2 sorc 20 fcr life mana and possibly 2 open sockets), feel free to use it, but shako is just to godly to be overlooked. Beside insane stats (which are unfortunatelly not included in %'s from items or bo) notice +2 to all skills, which makes u having highest level bo in party (if there is no barb) and 10 dr which makes fight against melle abit easier.

icon_pointr.gif +3 Light amulet in inventory
In case that u found godly stated fire amulet or just prefer having 95% es instead of 94%, switch one of your small charms in inventory for 3 Light amulet (possibly with added strength). This is completely legit action, because u are allowed to switch items u hold on your char, during duel. U will loose some life and mana, but i dont have choice, because im using best ladder +2 fire amulet, which unfortunately doesnt give required boost of es. +3 light amulet also »saves« you 1 skill point, so u are actually trading 20 life and 17 mana for about 8% dmg and way better amulet.

Skill And Stat Distribution

(Based on level 96 sorc)
20 Fire Ball
20 Fire Bolt
19 Meteor
1 Inferno
1 Blaze
1 Fire wall
1 Fire mastery

20 Telekinesis
20 Energy Shield
1 Charge Lightning
1 Lightning
1 Chain Lightning
1 Teleport

= 107 Skill Points Total

Strenght – as much as u need, to reach 156 (Ive personally put 3 points in)
Dexterity – none
Vitality – none
Energy – all points

Build goals

105 fcr >
86 fhr >
9x es without precast and maxed telekinesis >
20 or 31 life replenish (depends on replenish from boots and what u socket in shako) >
15-16k dmg >
1.6+ life and 5k+ mana >
maxed resists on nm, without counting anya quest in calculations.

Goals are sorted in order of importance, firstly aim for fcr/fhr break, as high es as possible and life replenish. Dmg and stats are not very important, and more than 5k mana isnt really needed, rather get some extra resist or life.
While 105 fcr is not questionable (Trust me, 200 fcr beside fun simply isnt worth it. Ive had 200 fcr/142 fhr sorc and it was fun as hell, but simply had to low stats and dmg.), some people might wondering, why 60 fhr breakpoint doesnt suit sorc. Reason is simple – next fhr breakpoint will definitly save your ass more frequently than some extra life.
Your char is really worth leveling, because every next level brings significant stat and dmg boost.Try to aim for level 96, when u reach both 95 es (20 invested points and +3 light amu) and 15-16k dmg.
Boots with fhr, high mana and life replenish might cost alot, but try to aim for those with fhr and high life replenish – u will be very grateful for extra healing in long-lasting tvt's.

icon_pointr.gif Note about Anya Bug
Most of people have already heard about notorious anya bug – dying in game makes u loosing 30 extra resist, which u gained by completing anya quest on all 3 difficulties. Finish quest, no matter of that but make sure to stack your resist in specific matchus.
Following my guide and using enigma/hoto/shako 'dol'/spirit gives u maxed resistances on nm, but -30 from anya quests leaves u with ~40 fire resist (and still maxed others due to spirit). I did some testing with friend and ive found out that I tank 6 fbs in row with 75 fire resi, while with ~40 after first death only 4 fbs (character efficiency reduced by 33%^),so make sure to stack fire resist (best was is to get amulet with 3x resist, or to use jewel, similar to mine in shako) before u do svs against fire sorc.

icon_pointr.gif Note about Max Block / Lower Es / Dmg
Max block was pointed out as one of weaknesses of my sorc, but my build simply doesnt include it. It is impossible to make fire sorc with life replenish, high es, high mana and reasonable dmg without bugged items and by following europe ladder rules. U are in disadvantage against most melle chars, but u can beat them with good defensive play. Same about 7x Es – that is not my build. There are nice sorcs with lower es and gosu dmg for sure, but overall, i can not reccomend anything over my build. U can also kill just as good with 15k dmg as with 22k.

icon_pointr.gif My Sorc
http://img306.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot162ga1.jpg
Jan 28 2007 03:50pm
General Duelling Strategies

icon_pointr.gif Compass (use it to orient while reading my guide)

icon_pointr.gif Dont Stand Still At All
This is first rule u should follow, if u want to be succesful with sorc. Any exposing for more than 1 second will result in beeing locked and killed by better players, because u have very limited ability to tank or escaping from dangerous situations. Hold down teleport button all the time and do long unpredictable teleports. Some players get confused by teleporting left and right around them (fast teles from one to another side of screen) and they will stop teleporting, trying to catch u in nl, not knowing that they have exposed themself by standing still.
(*Stand still only in cases ive described below, which serves to trick opponent.)

icon_pointr.gif Keep your opponent north – east
That is best position to fight, because it is the easiest to catch your opponent in nl there. Try it at your own, which areas of screen you like the most, but most players find upper-right corner the best. Figting »diagonals« also gives u better line of sight and u can nl people, while not even beeing on their screen.

icon_pointr.gif Use Run
Another reason, not to use left click mod. There are several situations, where run serves better than teleport. U wont be desynching due to low frw, but running will still make your enemies miss namelock, enables u to escape from mindblast, dodge all hammers etc. Easy way to trick offensive opponent is to click in distant corner of screen and make your sorc running around, while u have all keys free. Opponent will engage your screen and try to nl u, but you are hard target to lock while running so he has to stop to concentrate in catching u in curzor. Here comes your chance – enemy standing still, while u having all keys free. Easy prey. Maybe sounds simple and primitive, as some other tricks, described here, but works great^^. For more detailed use of Run in specific matchups read 1v1 duelling section.

icon_pointr.gif Fireball against Firebolt
Experienced players might disagree with me, but i dont like using bolt. Fire Ball has splash effect and stuns targets more and in better range than Fire Bolt (someone correct me, if i am wrong about that). Bolt is prefered by some players in svs, because it costs less mana than Ball (2.5 compared to 28) and in case that u are having a shot-out with opponent, u both get mana burned to 0, he will shoot finishing bolt in u, before u could have regenerated enough mana for teleport or Fire Ball. On the other hand, Ball causes about 170 more dmg to mana after pvp penalty, so its totally up to u, what to use.

icon_pointr.gif »Namelock Abuse« method
Even though Ive just learned this trick (died thousand times to it meanwhile^^), experienced fb players consider it as sorc basics and it makes certain matchups which includes lots of nl's (like svs) much easier. It requires alot of practice and u might not succeed every time, but people will curse u cus they will nl in their own death. Tele around your opponent with very short delays and give him chance to nl you. As soon u think u got locked, stop immediately and start spamming fb's north (u have only about 1 second to react, before he jumps on u). Fact about nl is, that your opponent always appears on north side of u, when you got locked, so fbs in north direction will stun and output alot of dmg, before he will even notice what happened. Retreat after few fbs, if u feel that u can still get outtanked, especially vs ele druid or vita sorc. That trick works for sure and u will hit first, no matter how fast your enemy is, which in most cases results in instant win. Problem will occure, if enemy accidentaly makes double tele. He will then spawn east from u, instead north, fb volley will miss and u will probably die in next second. Try to fire fbs in both north and east directions to increase efficiency. Make sure to retreat from his screen when u get locked (moment before u start spamming fbs north) to prevent him manually teleporting behind u instead of nl.

icon_pointr.gif How to namelock sorc, who uses »Namelock abuse« method
Notice: Requires good knowledge of »Namelock abuse« method
I havent tested this method much yet, but a guy who told me about it, also showed me, how effective it could be if executed correctly. It is usefull only against »Namelock Abuser« sorcs and might requires good partner (2v2). Sorc, who wants to »nl abuse« u, will teleport around u and giving you chance to namelock, then she will leave screen and get ready for your teleport. In that case, namelock her with fbs and dont tele on her when she leaves screen (by spamming some north fbs before, make sure that she is not planning to jump on u). After few seconds it will turn out as u are only spamming fbs, because u hadnt chance to nl her, and she will either run further away from u, or move closer to u (it is important that she stays in teleport range, else trick fails, so here good barb partner might be useful, to virtually block the way, which leads away from u). As soon she moves (and hasnt fbs spammed yet), immediately switch fb with teleport (still havin her in lock), tele on her and kill bitch. Complicated, but as ive mentioned, deadly.

icon_pointr.gif Tele in your own fireballs
Using both »Namelock abuse« and teleporting in own fbs will make people fear nl u. Spam fb's in straight line (by using right click) and wait for enemy to enter your screen (I suggest spamming in opposite direction enemy is comming from, so he wont see them until its to late). Dont move at all so u will most likely got namelocked. Hold right button (spam fbs) and dont move curzor, quicly switch to tele and back to fb. That will result in jumping in own fbs and enemy foolishly follow u. Even though it sounds simple action, takes lots of practice to master. Most difficult part is to tele at right moment and to move for distance that will drive enemy exactly in flying fbs and hit him at moment he jumps on you. Good spots to execute »teleporting in own fbs« is by the river, or by the enterance of town (entering town results to free kill), but the best is to do that »behind corner«. Its minor bug, which makes your fbs invisible to an enemy, aproaching behind corner.

icon_pointr.gif Always carry around 4 mana pots
Following europe ladder rules, es sorcs are forbidden to either drink or carry around mana, which makes u loose automaticly, if u get caught. So make sure to carry mana pots in first line of your belt, so they dont get dropped in case if u die, before u used them. Mana pots wont save your life, because mana doenst get healed instantly, but they are still useful – either to replenish after tanking or support friendly high mana consuming char like assa. Some people would like to make sure, that u dont use mana and u will be requested to drop belt. Dont worry, because first line of belt doenst get dropped at all, but dont forget to drink all pots before entering trade screen (removing arach in trade screen requires all 16 empty slots).

icon_pointr.gif Never give up
Period. Even though in situations, that seems close to impossible, keep in mind that fb sorc does wonders (or at least insane heal, which is provided by 3x life replenish does). I found out, that i fight the best, when im under 100 hp, because people tend to play to aggressive for their own good against low chars, forgetting that fbs from 1hp sorc hurts just as fbs from fully healed one. I have won countless 3v1's or 4v1's (and even lost some reverse situations) against high level players, just because they started mindlessly following me, having win already in mind. In clan wars, do lame style – make opponents run out of mana, and hide for 10 minutes if necesarry, to get fully healed. Score counts, while the way how u reached them doesnt^^.
Jan 28 2007 03:53pm
In-Depth 1vs1 Duelling Guide

Paladin
icon_pointr.gif Hammerdin

If u know how to play, u cant loose vs hammerdin. Period. I havent lost serious duel vs hammerdin yet, no matter if they are using spurs.
First think u will notice is, that u cant outtank him with nl – he takes tons of fbs, while ur mana pool is empty in matter of seconds. Ive noticed that most of hammers r out of »fb stun« after 2-3 fbs, so dont f Its also difficult to tele out of his nl'ed hammers. So he is not enemy, u will be playin aggresive against at beggining.
But here comes the trick: Stand still, meteor yourself and spawn fbs in his dirrection. He will most likely tele in corner of your screen and try to nl u. When u see that, start running south which will make him tele in place where u stood second ago – fire two fbs in him and continue running. Dont become predictable though – he might try tele southeren from u, in dirrection u are running and u will run straight in hammers.
Every time u see him beeing on top of u, just do run trick and u will probably avoid all hammers. At this point, good hammerdins will realise that they cant nl-catch u and they will try with vigor-desynch and camping in hammerfields. If he is under ½ hp, start playing offensive but avoid following him and teleporting in areas where he has been before, cus u will probably jump in hammers.
U can also try to nl him, fire 2 fbs and run away. If u accidentally get low on health, retreat till u have 100 hp or so and attack again. For more challenge, try to duel those guys without teleport or without using run – that will mybe give them equall chances. If he puts on grief or even worse – weapon which provides huge ow, duel him as ill describe in smiter section.

icon_pointr.gif Smiter
This is one of my hardest duels nowadays. Laggy bnet helps paladins desynch as hell, skilled fire aura which counts as legit absorb, reduce your dmg badly and they will probably charge around with decent % of ow, which makes u die in 2 charges or so.
There is a way to win for sure, but it takes lots of time and patience – you will be playing totally defensive, trying to avoid on-screen contact with him. To begin with, never stand still for more than 2 seconds or so, cus u will find yourself beeing charged from nowhere. When they enter your screen and leave it, follow them – they r trying to desynch and come back when u dont expect them, so try to be always 1 screen away from them and dont let them surprise u.
If u think that u have better reflexes than your opponent, u can try to suddenly rush him, fire 1-2 fbs in him and tele xx screens away to get out of charge lock. I strongly dont recommend doing that, cus u will most likely get afficted by ow.
Working strat is to find area of map, which is full of puddles and start makin a meteor field and spamming fbs in pala's direction. Most players r afraid of meteor fields and will try to avoid them, but in case that they try to rush through, there is chance that they get stucked in puddles. Always keep pala on other side of field and dont stand still as ive already mentioned.
U can also try to camp in corners or places which prevents u beeing knocked back, meteoring yourself and spamming fb. Pala will engage and probably hit u, but u wont get stunned and u will be able to escape, while exporting more dmg than him, if he is not using ow.
Anyway, u must find your way to fight charger and analyse opponent's playstyle, just make sure that whenever u spam fbs around dont forget to cast some meteors – they hit pretty bad. Vs best smiters u will still find yourself dying and 50% win ratio is kinda nice score.
Note about foh/smiter combos: Threat them as normal smiters. Their foh is really to weak to hurt u, but make sure not to become to aggresive and nevrous cus of autoaiming foh will keep hittin u from nowhere. Just stay calm and »trade« foh hits vs fbs.

Necromancer
icon_pointr.gif Boner

Fuckin joke. No offense, but same as vs hammerdin, u cant loose this duel. Due to unknown reason, es totally absorbs any magic dmg, done to u and ~5k mana just enables u to stand still, tanking spears and laughing at him.
Anyway, take duel seriously, cus u cant afford loosing ½ hp to char who is in such disadvantage. They will start duel spamming spirits in all directions or more likely, teleporting in their own spirits and running instead of teleporting while nl'ed. Mindlessly namelocking them in that case will result in loosing whole mana and decent amount of hp.
If u see him on minimap, teleporting in straight line, he is probably teleporting in his own spirits – in that case just teleport beside him, fire fbs in direction he is moving and try not to jump in spirits. If u find yourself beeing low on health, ask him to teeth u – due to low dmg are teeth nice way of healing hostile sorc^^.
In tvt's, dont try to nl or follow good necro. He is aware of his disadvantage and he will probably try to lure u in friendly assa's mb.

icon_pointr.gif Poisoner
There is not many good poisoners around, but he could be real ass. He is not such a threat in 1v1, cus u just dont allowe him to drain last hp from u (u only die from nova, if u r under ~10 hp when it is applied, which shouldnt be problem with hoto and his other spells/auras hit to weak to break es), but in tvts, u will get easily drained and then owned by his team.
U should switch frosts with death gloves and mana boots with sands. That gives u huge poison stack (75 with both dw and lower resist) and it also reduces duration of nova for 50% which will makes u tank 3-4 novas. Keep very defensive vs this guys and dont nl them under any circumstances. I think u can win this duel with very lame style. If necro keep chasing you, he will run out of mana soon (dw which is normally used by poisonmancers gives really low total mana).
If he is running around, dont get tricked and hittten by nova, stay away from him and keep spamming fbs at him, while keeping ½ screen of distance. If u got drained to 1hp, start running, wait till u replenish ~50 hp and attack again. Basiclly dont use any tricks from General section, try witn »nl-abuse« if u feel like risking, otherwise stay away and spam.

Druid
icon_pointr.gif Elemental druid

Druid is famous for beeing in class disadvantage vs fb, but following the euro ladder rules, he provides nice challenge to any sorc. Using both infernos and cyclone makes him tank tons of fbs, while ur mana is down in few tornados. He will also hide in zoo, made of vines, oak and either wolves or bear. If u have followed my advice and picked enigma over coh, u will have way easier time fighting him (to coh users: i suggest u replacing it with enigma, at least for this duel).
First rule – do never tank dud while he has full cyclon and possibily bear on. Life after each kill is wonder – killing his zoo heals u as hell and life replenish animation shows u, when he got hit and when is time to strike. Wolves users are usually joke, cus wolves die in 1-2 fbs and he is not able to recast fast enough, so basically play just u do against hammerdin, but with difference that u replace run with teleport and u retreat abit faster (when u see he gonna jump on u, tele half screen souther and fire 3 fbs at direction u stood before – he will most likely be there). That will make him loosing his minions and cyclone, so he is forced to retreat.
Now is your chance, so follow and nl tank him while he is recasting. (Small hint – most od druids will recast their oak before retreating from your screen, so try to lock-tele minion instead of druid, cus its easier and will surprise druid, teleporting next to them instead on their head when they can get u with tornados.) Better druids are aware of that and they will fake retreat and prepare for your rush by spamming tornados in direction u r comming from – so just as again nec's, dont mindlessly follow them.
While wolf users doenst represent huge threat to u, bear could be pain in the ass. He tanks couple fbs, is easy to recast and has nasty ability to additionaly stun u, when u get nl'ed, so its very hard to escape from nl (if u feel like not comming out of nl by teleportin, try to run – tornados will most likely miss u).
Imo u should win druid if u dont get totally outplayed – just get rid of his summons and wait for right chance to attack.

Sorcress
icon_pointr.gif Vita Light, Fb, Blizz

Tricky girls, specialised for outputing huge dmg. U fill find yourself loosing whole mana from 1 hit, while they all tank several fbs with infernos. Play very carefull against those and dont namelock them, especially from beggining when they are at full health (dont expect to kill them with 1 fb volley – they will get out of stun and outtank u). Start duel by »trading hits« with them (by this I mean to rush them, hit with one or two fbs and retreat, no matter if u take some dmg meanwhile – your mana heals fast as hell, while life replenish keeps u at full hp). If they play offensive, which they probably will, try to »Namelock Abuse« or lure them in own fbs, as ive described in general strats. By this time they should be at about half hp (dont care for your hp, u tank as good with 100 as with full), so start looking for chances to namelock them and finish duel. Make sure, not to take to much random hits and to keep distance from them (to avoid to get locked). If u got hit, try to run out of danger, instead of tele, but tbh u will be most likely dead in 2-3 hits.
Note about Vita Blizzers: Even though their main spell is blizzard, good sorc wont rely just on it (its hard to aim with against sorc and it has nasty 1-second delay after its casted), but will also play with ice blast and act like fb or light sorc agains u (fortunately, ice blast doesnt stun as much as fb or light), so ive put them in same cathegory.

icon_pointr.gif ES Light, Fb, Blizz
Best duels, which keeps me playing sorc. Blizzer and Light sorc are in disadvatage against u, becuase they both have low dmg and slow casting speed. U shouldnt really loose against them, but threat them just as easier version of fb sorc.
Try to use all tricks u have learned in mirror duels and act unpredictable. Analyse, what playing style your opponent has - does he like to nl all the time, spamming arround and jumping in own fbs, or maybe tries to »nl-abuse« u? I find players, who know to how to »nl-abuse« as most challenging, because only way to fight those is to do the same. Fact is that most of the time they will know when they got namelocked and u will be teleporting in your own death.
Wait for right moment and avoiding namelock contact at all (make sure to always spam fbs in north dirrection, which prevents u from beeing namelocked). Confuse opponent by randomly teleproting around, dodge his fbs, try to hit with some fbs, while they standing still (waiting to be locked), tele at their back if they are spamming and standing still, run around and use all the tricks ive described in general section. Its all about predicting enemy and not to fail to their tricks.
If u feel like having slower reflexes than oponnent, »nl-abuse« him. If he stays very defensive rush him (make sure he is not teleporting in own fbs) etc. Another way of distraction is to cast »blaze« on yourself and to run arround. (Blaze is not bugged as meteor fire is and burning animation will not dissapear for opponents, when they leave your screen.) Burning animation will provide nice cover for fbs u r spamming and will also make u way harder to namelock, because your char is totally hiden in fire.
Avoid duelling spamming sorc around river or corners, cus those areas provides great cover for her maneuvers and for unknown reason, fbs tends to becomes invisible sooner than they normally would behind corner or river.
If u are looking for bringing your svs skills to highest level, read about »namelocking abuser« in general section.
This duel is very day-dependant (which player is in better condition or »warmed up«) and also factor of luck cant be neglected (ive already lost to totally random players, while normaly walking side-by-side with best fb players).

Assasin
icon_pointr.gif Trap / Hybrid / Melle

I will consider all three assa types as one, because they roughly act the same: they use traps, either for exporting dmg or stunning, spam mb as another source of stunn, delivering ow by df (even pure trappers tends to have ow claw against es sorcs), having badly stacked resist with fade, blocking fbs as joke with claws, having minion on for stack and nasty mindblast. I find hybrid assasins (melle oriented ones) as hardest 1v1 matchup.
First thing to clarify is, that u dont play role of hunter, as in most duels, but u are prey. Behave like that and try to always stay out of assa sight. Dragon Flight is auto-aiming skill like foh and u will get inficted by ow sooner or later. 2 ow's will bring u down to 1 life. Try to »namelock abuse« her, when u see she is comming to deliver ow and trade as much fbs as possible. Dont be afraid if she starts to mindblast u, when traps arent on. Just do some running (not tele!) out and when u see traps appearing under your feet, tele away, cus she stopped mbing u.
Duel against good assasin will take ages. The most important thing is, to show her, how pointless it is, to chase u. Tele around, spam fbs and let her waste mana. If u get afficted by ow, feel free to retreat and heal. Remember that time works for you – every minute u gain about 150 life and she looses few pots. Main objective in this state of duel is to burn some of her mana pots, and avoid getting hit.
After chasing u around and drinking most of mana, while just taking random fbs, assassins will realise that is not the way to fight u, so they will place a trap field and hide in it. Here comes the time to »siege her fortress«. Most important is not to come to close, because u dont know location of traps, and u might jump in mb, which will combined with established trap field result in death. Having low mana will force assa to dodge fbs by running, which decreases her block chance to zero. If i spam fbs good, she will leave trap field and try to find better location for camp. Attack her at this point and escape when first trap is placed. If u survived for so long, u shouldnt really use duel now – simply retreat and heal if hp drops below 100. Sounds lame, but this is only way to win assassin.
Note about ww: Even though it is godly skill, assa should never ww sorc imo, because there are better ways to deliver ow (or get last hit) and ww by itself really doesnt do much dmg to Es. If they tend to do that, it is your chance to shot hell of them. Following trick requires fast fingers and u might still got hit, but feel free to experiment: stand still till assa comes on your screen (make sure that she got chance to nl u) and then immediately tele 1 screen away. Leaving screen will force them to use teleport instead of range-limited df. In next second she will appears on u, trying to ww, but there is slight delay between teleport and ww (which u normally dont even notice) and u are waiting ready for her, by using »namelock abuse«. Both delay and fbs (which she hasnt expected) will stunn her for a moment, giving u chance to tele half screen souther and start spamming fbs north in her direction. By that time she will recover and start ww-ing and if she kept u in namelock, she will run directly in fbs. If she teleport on u again instead of ww, new wave of north-oriented fbs will wait for her. What i have described in few lines, happens in about 2 seconds, so make sure to react fast ^^.

Barbarian
icon_pointr.gif BvC

Most popular and dangerous of barbarians types in 1v1 combat. Good BvC is same issue as assasin – he is made to kill casters and u will have hard time winning him (50:50 against best ones is really good achievement). Regarding to fact that he shares style of killing sorc with assassin (they both use high ow and ww, having killing stun, high speed), consider and duel him just one of them. If duel against hybrids took ages, multiply time to kill them with 2 and u have rough number, how long it will take to beat good bvc.
U can use most of strats ive described in assa sections against him. Most important thing against him is to force him to play your game – let him chase u until his mana is burned and he eats some fbs. Be even more defensive as u were against assa, cus beeing on his screen will result in leap stun+ww lock. Dont care to much about damage done, just try to »calm him down« in first phase of duel.
Now u have to negate his most dangerous skill – leap. When he is close, always make sure that your back is covered by puddle or wall, because leap knocks u back and puts u in recovery animation, so no knockback, no stun. Look for areas where he couldnt make good triangle whirls (that is what barbs do to output as much dmg as possible), cover yourself with meteors and let him come. Use same trick as u use against assa to escape from his ww.
Things u shouldnt never do agains barbarian are namelock tele (jumping in ww sequence hurts), running instead of teleporting from ww (that will result in tons of dmg taken), trying to tank ww (remember that barb desynch in special way while wwing, and ww radius is greater than radius of his axes), chasing him around or playing offensive in any form. It is hard to totally avoid beeing hit, so dont worry about ammount of hp left – u fight as good with 100 as with full and time works for u. Tactical, defensive play will be rewarded with win.

Some hints about Team vs Team

While u are doing great in 1v1 combat, Es Fb sorc is just the best in TvT's. U are only char (or one among very rare), who is able to fight and win against multiple enemies of equall skill to yours. Low base life and high life replenish enables u retreat, heal and start fights from »beggining«. Your high es and mana pool allowes you to tank tons of »minor mistakes«, like jumping in arrows, random hammers, invisible blizz, but on the other hand, any major mistake (which high hp chars could be rescued from) will cost u life.
Remember that u are in most cases main char of your team. Necros, barbs, assassins are there just to boost and support u, while you are the one who kills. That doesnt mean, u can do everything on your own, so keep defensive and be aware of your vournability. Team who looses fb first, normally looses duel, because there is not many char combinations who can stop you.
Its up to u to discover power of teamwork and how to fight and act in, imo »best part of diablo«.

Best partners
Trapper (Stun and trap nest.)
Barbarian (Bo and stun.)

Best team configurations
Fb + Barb [2]
Fb + Assa [2]

Fb + Assa + Barb [3]
Fb + Hammer + Bow [3]

Fb + Barb + Trap + Druid [4]
Fb + Barb + Bow + Hammerdin [4]
Fb + Necro + Bow + Hammerdin [4]
Fb + Fb + Fb + Barb [4]
Gold: 150.00
Jan 28 2007 03:55pm
really nice guide, i like it very much! well done tom! smile.gif
Banned
Gold: 85.19
Warn: 30%
Jan 28 2007 03:56pm
Really nice guide Tom.

Enigma sorceress' are SO under rated it's funny.

A lot of people will post "lol nap stupid enigma sorc" and such but don't listen because these kind of sorceress' rape.

biggrin.gif
Gold: 6,965.00
Jan 28 2007 04:02pm
yes this is really nice guide. i used this build on my sorc.
best legit non precast build ever smile.gif
Gold: 7,605.00
Jan 28 2007 04:05pm
wow nice guide, just 2 bad u had to copy me sad.gif ofc u have to make a guide when i made one !
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 70%
Jan 28 2007 04:06pm
"always carry around 4 mana pots"

lol bm ^_______^
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 50%
Jan 28 2007 04:17pm
Nice Tom. But it's your skill which kills, a guide can't teach skills.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 70%
Jan 28 2007 04:21pm
yeah nice. well done
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
12325Next
Closed New Topic New Poll