d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > The Summoning/poison Hybrid Pvp/pvm Guide > ~Try Something You Haven't Done Before~
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 11,661.00
Jan 9 2007 05:23am
The Summoning/Poison Hybrid Guide

Table of Contents:
1.) Charachter Description
2.) Skill and Stat Distribution
3.) Gear
4.) PvP Tactics
5.) Last Comments

1.) Charachter Description
This character is one of the best good mannered PvP charachters out there. But you also have to know, that most leagues don't aprove summoners as you need corpses and they are not fond of that. Mine is made on Europe SCL so don't expect any stupid things like 15life/70mana small charms. They aren't supposed to exist so don't use such crap.

It is in my experience one of the very best chars in PvP although some classes and builds may cause severe trouble, you will hear a lot of flaming towards you, and it's pretty much useless to duel some chars as you are almost immune to their attacks.

a.) Starting Attributes
Strength: 15
Dexterity: 25
Vitality: 15
Energy: 25

Hit Points: 45
Stamina: 79
Mana: 25

Each Character Level
Life +1.5
Stamina +1
Mana +2

Attribute Point Effect
1 Vitality point gives 2 Life
1 Vitality point gives 1 Stamina
1 Energy point gives 2 Mana

b.) FHR/FCR Discussion
This guide will lead you to the 125% FCR and 86% FHR break points. These are the last resonable break points for a necromancer. Any other setup results into massive gear compensation, that do not make up for the bonus you have from it.

2.) Skill and Stat Distribution
I have decided to change this section to my build so I won't leave many options open for you. You can still choose 4 different builds but I'll set the basics for you.

a.) Skill Distribution

1st version:
Poison and Bone Spells

Teeth: 1 - prerequisite
Corpse Explosion: 1 - prerequisite
Poison Dagger: X - prerequisite + synergy for Poison Nova
Poison Explosion: 20 - prerequisite + synergy for Poison Nova
Poison Nova: 20 - Main Attack

X = rest of the skills you have

Summoning Spells

Skeleton Mastery: 20 - synergy for Raise Skeleton
Raise Skeleton: 20 - Main Meat Shield
Clay Golem: 1 - Main PvP Golem
Golem Mastery: 1 - Synergy for Clay Golem
Raise Skeletal Mage: 1 - prerequisite for Revive + worth summoning before duel
Blood Golem: 1 - prerequisite
Summon Resist: 1 - synergy for Raise Skeleton
Iron Golem: 1 - prerequisite + usefull in PvM
Revive: 1 - very usefull summoning skill with a limited(180 second) time duration

Curses

Amplify Damage: 1 - usefull in PvM
Weaken: 1 - prerequisite
Iron Maiden: 1 - prerequisite
Terror: 1 - prerequisite
Life Tap: 1 - prerequisite
Decrepify: 1 - used for some duells
Lower Resist: 1 - our Main Curse

This is the first option. If you do not like revives, then your summoning skill placement should look like this:

2nd version:

Summoning Spells

Skeleton Mastery: 20 - synergy for Raise Skeleton
Raise Skeleton: 20 - Main Meat Shield
Clay Golem: 1 - Main PvP Golem
Golem Mastery: 1 - Synergy for Clay Golem
Raise Skeletal Mage: 1 - prerequisite for Revive + worth summoning before duel

Nothing in any other summoning skill - put the points you saved from Revives into Poison Dagger for more poison damage.

b.) Stat Points Distribution
As I mentioned before I can serve you with two builds conserning stat points. First is my favourite.

First build:
Strenght: Base
Dexterity: Base
Vitality: All stat points
Energy: Base

This will give you the maximum possible Hit Points = Life.

Second build:
Strenght: Base
Dexterity: Enough for max block with Homunculus
Vitality: All that is left after max block
Energy: Base

There are pros and cons to both builds. I for myself have chosen the Revives/Max Life build. The pros to the max block build are that vs. namelock chargers and ww barbarians you still have a good chance even after they miss your minions. If you expect to duel many (good) BvC's then I suggest getting maximum block.

3.) Gear

Helm:
Harlequin Crest Shako Umed/Jahed - depending on what you can afford
Rare circlet with 2 Necromancer/20% FCR/2 sockets/other mods for Maximum Block build - can be socketed with Shael/Jah/Um/Rare Jewel depending on your needs

Amulet:
Mara's Kaleidoscope 30 all resistances
Crafted Amulet with +2 Necromancer/+15-20% FCR/Dexterity/life/mana/resist - for the Maximum block build

Armor:
Enigma Mage Plate - you can use another enigma, but this is best since you get 55 strenght with 20 stat Hellfire torch and 20 stat Annihilus.

Weapon #1:
This is the spot with most open options. I shall write them in the order best icon_pointr.gif worst for me.

Wizardspike socketed with -requirements/+strenght/+Life/+Mana jewel
Heart of the Oak Flail - if you use this you need to find +10% FCR on the amulet or 1 ring
Beast Double Axe or Berserker Axe(you should have enough strength and dexterity to use it) - this is used mainly for PvM as you don't have enough FCR without a caster weapon.
Death's Web - this can be used only vs. noobs and chars that are generally weak, the increased amount of poison damage you will deal does not make up for the sacrifice in FCR

Shield #1:
Spirit Monarch 35% FCR
Upgraded Homunculus for Maximum Block build. You can socket it with Eld/Um/Ber whatever you need - I suggest Eld rune.
Stormshield, socketed Eld rune icon_pointr.gif you should have enough dexterity to have 75% block for this shield. That is more than for the homunculus, but you will also have 50% DR.

Weapon #2:
Call To Arms 6/6/x in any weapon you preffer

Shield #2:
Spirit Shield any stats

Gloves:
Magefist / Trang Oul's Braces - I preffer the Trang Set Gloves, some might disagree here

Ring:
Again a very colorfull set of options

2 Stone of Jordan - mana + skills
2 Bul' Khato's Wedding Band - I preffer this for life > mana, as you do not need that much mana with this charchter, you'll have enough with bo and wizzy
2 Rare Rings with 10% FCR/mods - if you can't get a crafted amulet for the Maximum Block build you might want to go with 2 gosu FCR rings

Belt:
Arachnid Mesh - no debate here, the ultimate caster belt. If you find a really really really gosu crafted belt, you might use it on another char smile.gif

Boots:
Ethereal 15/15 Sandstorm Trek
Waterwalk with +65 Life
I preffer Sandstorm Trek because of the Poison resist and the oh so important 20% FHR

Inventory:
8 x Graverobber's Grand Charm Of Vita (Summoning skills +45 life)

1 x Graverobber's Grand Charm of Ballance +12% FHR (Summoning skills + 12%FHR)

X x Serpent's Small Charm of Vita(20 life/17 mana)

X x Shimmering Small Charm of Vita(5 all resistances/20 life)

Put as many Shimmering Small Charms of Vita as you need to get all resistances to 75. The rest should be Serpent's Small Charms of Vita or plain 20 life Small Charms.

Annihilus Unique Small Charm - 20 Attributes/20 All resistaces/X% experience gained

Hellfire Torch Unique Large Charm- +3 Necromancer Skill Levels/20 Attributes/20 All resistances

You might want to aquire some 20 life/11% Fire resist small charms to stack a bit of resist vs. fire sorcs since they are the ones who are most problematic for you.
This is it for the Gear part.

4.) PvP Tactics:
a.) Common Tactics

You need to get your army up first. The best place for this is either Anya's Portal (Pindleskin), or just pick one random act 1 waypoint. The poison nova kills carvers superfast and you will have the 15-16 skeletons in no time. If someone is giving you a hard time you can always revive monsters with their respective immunities - Cold resistant for Cold Damage Charachters, Light resistant for ... But remember if you will duel BM people can fight back, there are many poison duration reduced by X% items out there and antidote potions work too.

Against every charachter you want to cast Lower Resist first - this will not be hard as Lower Resist will fill your screen. You DON'T hit automatically you have to aim some but cursing with Lower Resist is easier than taking a lolly from a kid. Cast it roughly in their direction and when you tele near them you see the curse. If you don't, recast. As said Lower resist has a huge radius, so it's not hard to hit.

Then you will try to hit them with 2-3 poison novas. When you see them at 1 life teleport on them and the skeletons will do the last few points instantly or finish of with Poison Nova itself. Since it's easier to NL teleport I suggest trying to teleport on them first rather than trying to get them into another Poison Nova.
Remember: Poison Nova itself doesn't kill, if your opponent isn't at minimum life, it just drains him to 1.

Poison Nova is our Main Attack. Skeletons are sometimes used for the final blow but mostly for a VERY effective meat shield.

Remember: Poison Nova works 2 seconds so if you hit someone you need to wait 2 seconds to hit again. This means that spaming Poison Nova with 125% FCR won't work as they are safe from it for the next 2 seconds. So the worst thing you can do against a BvC(for example) is to stand in one place and spam Nova. You will die instantly.

b.I.) Amazon

Javazons - there are two tactics, if you have Bone Wall/Bone Prison and they don't use enigma you should Decrepify, Bone Prison, Lower Resist and kill - don't teleport on them as a 60k Charged Strike always ends a duel fast. With all of the summons you will not die fast even if a Lightning Fury hits you your skeletons survive that a couple of times. FC Zons are a bitch for every char, but if they use farcast, you use absorb(and by absorb I don't mean 2 x Whisp, 3 Lo Helm, Tgod, but let's say just Tgod), as easy as that.

Bowazons - this really is eazy pk they can only kill you if they use Autoaim or namelock you when you walk out of town - they will try to use Multishot as it usually clears that 1 skill point Skeletons that Bone necros use but that doesn't affect you as your skelletons are pretty damn strong.

b.II.) Assassins:

Trap Assassins - this is one of the toughest kills, if they use mindblast - if they don't then it usually results in their superfast death, but then again only noobs don't use Mind Blast so they deserve to die vs. mf sorceress.

Whirlwind Assassins - Play defensive wait for them to strike and avoid the whirlwind - usually isn't that hard but with very skilled players you need to be cautious. This is an example where max block comes in handy. It get's pretty hard vs. ghosts as your run/walk is prohibited by multiple traps shooting your way. You need quite some skill to kill a good ghost.

b.III.) Necromancers:

Poison Necromancers - usually you have the upperhand in this duels as they use + poison damage skills and gear that means that they don't have 125% FCR. Just stay out of novas and place them with some strategy.

Bone Necromancers - again if they autoaim or namelock it's hard to duell but if not then Bone Spirit is useless agains this build but some Bone Spears can still hit you. You should have the upperhand in this duell but it depends a lot on your skill. That is if the Necro you are fighting is really good at it. Random pubs shouldn't kill more than 1 or 2 skeles.

Summoning Necromancers - They can not beat you as you will kill them superfast with Poison Nova.

Mirror - as in every duell between same chars it's mostly on skill and gear.

b.IV.) Barbarians:

Warcry Barbarians - if they have 200%FCR they can get you into a stun lock but their low damage is their weak point. If they don't have 200%FCR they can't stunlock you as you hit the 86% FHR break point. Just Teleport Nova Teleport Nova - 3-5 hits should kill every barbarian.

Whirlwind Barbarians - if they use Fortitude it's eazy pk just don't get too mad when they run away cause that can end in a disaster - such a strong damage Whirlwind is pretty nasty. If they use Enigma you will usually teleport way faster than them so let them teleport close and when they start Whirlwind move away and Poison Nova - repeat process till opponents death.

BvC - this is a tough matchup, but then again, BvC's are made to fight casters so it's not a shame to loose. I'm not saying it's unwinnable, but good BvC's will probably give you the worst time with the company of camping trappers. They will leap, which will stun you and tight TriWhirls can result in a life total of 0 in no time. This ever more popular build is the reason you should at least consider max block.

b.V.) Sorceress:
Most sorceress's are pretty much autowin but I'll describe the dueling anyway.

Orb Sorceress - if you are good manered(= no cold imune revives) this is still a very eazy duel. I tested this extensively especially because I got beaten by ES orb sorceress' which I duelled with my bone necro. Skeletons survive 5-7 Frozen Orb's with 1,2 k damage. But still try to avoid the orbs because skeletons come in handy all the time. Just duel them thinking you don't have any skeletons, avoid the orbs for as long as you can.

Blizzard Sorceress - 12k blizzard will clear your skelletons in 2-3 hits and you will die in 2 hits. So avoid blizzards and don't be too aggressive. Let them run into your Poison novas and not the other way around. If you both fight defensively it could turn out booring but you can always get a lot of stacked resist and be the aggresive one.

Fire Sorceress - This is all depending on skill - skeletons don't protect you 100% against Fireball as they do against Frozen Orb so you still want to avoid being hit. Lower Resist - stay out of range, wait for them to teleport close shoot with Poison Nova and escape. Probably the best thing you can do is: get 85% resist icon_pointl.gif legit IMO and NO skeletons, just your Fire Golem. The problem with fire ball is it deals splash damage, and as your skeletons spread out the moment you end your teleport you become one big target. Try to keep the golem between you and the sorc at all times. When you hit her with Nova run like hell for 2 seconds till the poisoning is over. It's hard but not immposible.

Lighting Sorceress - again skelletons are gosu in surviving huge Chain Lightning/Lightning Attacks - many of them are ES that means that they invest many points into Energy - poison damage is not absorbed by Energy Shield and they will die faster than pure vita fire sorceress or other pure vita sorceress'.

b.VI.) Druid:

Wind Druids - the usual pubby druid will teleport slower than you so Lower Resist wait for them to come forward leave some poison novas and escape - repeat process untill opponent is dead, the good ones will have the 163% FCR break point so they will teleport as fast as you do. They are hard to kill but much easier then a good trapper/BvC/Fire sorc. Patience is the key word here and I don't mean run away spam nova, run away... that's just lame. Strategic teleports, some running and good placed Nova's do the trick.

Fire Druids - rare build - just avoid steping on a vulcano and you should be fine

Melee Druids in any form - even if they run superfast you teleport faster. Again Lower Resist and leave a trail of Poison Nova for them.

b.VII.) Paladin:

Hammerdin - with big revives you can tank ten 15k Blessed Hammers. If you don't use Revives play defensive and don't run into desynched hammers.

Any Melee Paladin - again autoaim or namelock = death for you anything else means eazy pk for you.

5.) Last Comments

I hope this guide inspired someone to make this GoSu PvP charachter. As always I'm open to suggestions and any corrections. Please don't comment my grammar as English is far away from my mothers language - you can still PM me with spelling errors and I will correct them as soon as I find the time for it. If I missed something in my guide please point that out and I will add that point. That's it for now.

This guide is quite old. I posted it almost an year ago on another crap forum. I hope I get some props/slops smile.gif
Gold: 11,661.00
Jan 10 2007 06:23am
huh.gif
Gold: 1,586.70
Jan 10 2007 06:26am
nice guide

you don't see many of these

smile.gif

This post was edited by The_Chao_Master on Jan 10 2007 06:26am
Gold: 48,322.37
Jan 10 2007 06:33am
Good guide and a pretty interesting and unique character. Probably alot of fun to play with too.

What's the stats (life/mana/damage/block/etc) of yours?
Gold: 10.00
Jan 10 2007 07:11am
Summoner is nice build with good gear. I never died with this char in hc. smile.gif
Gold: 10,649.90
Jan 10 2007 07:35am
nice guide but how about using mages? because with skels you HAVE to tele on top of them, mages shoot from distance quite well
Gold: 14,050.05
Jan 10 2007 02:40pm
Quote (Mischa @ Wed, Jan 10 2007, 08:35am)
nice guide but how about using mages? because with skels you HAVE to tele on top of them, mages shoot from distance quite well

Thats a good idea. I'm thinkin about making a nec based off this build.
Gold: 1,586.70
Jan 10 2007 03:09pm
Quote (VickIsSick07 @ Wed, Jan 10 2007, 08:40pm)
Quote (Mischa @ Wed, Jan 10 2007, 08:35am)

Thats a good idea. I'm thinkin about making a nec based off this build.

making a necro out of mages biggrin.gif instead warriors would be fun
(just tele to avoid and let mages shoot )
Gold: 10,649.90
Jan 10 2007 04:36pm
smile.gif

i got good ideas lol

I would make it if my fg was higher T_T
Gold: 6,151.00
Jan 10 2007 04:50pm
i have something similar for pvm , 8k nova dmg
is good for pit running, travi, schenk, eldtritch
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll