d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > General Help Archive > Faq On Legit/dupes/unperms > ~A guide I've written
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 101.37
Dec 31 2006 01:29am
This guide is yet unfinished, but I thought I'd post it so I could expand it.

It would be my honor if this were to be one day stickied smile.gif

FAQ on dupes, unperms, perms and legits

This guide was written out to help all you people out there to at least have an idea of what you're getting yourself into anytime you buy an item out there.

First of all, let's sort through some vocabulary.An item can only be Legit, Permed or Unpermed.
- Legit: An item that was self found (dropped or shopped and NOT traded since you don't know the items history) or made.
- Permed: An item that has its own ID number and that will not poof. Permed dupes do exist, if they were done in 08 when items did not have id numbers.
- Unpermed: An item that has been duplicated, and that will poof if its on the same server. (details will follow).

Special case:

- In the case of runewords, they can be either permed or legit depending on how the base item was obtained. If we follow rigidly the rules established above, a legit griefpb would necessitate a self-found base along with a self-found set of runes. If that were the case, I doubt there is a single legit grief out there, meaning they should all be permed. Runes however are a special case, so as long as the base is legit, the runeword obtained can be considered as legit. The creation of a runeword resets the base ID and removes the ID of the runes it contains, which is why this can be considered a special situation.

Why items poof:

To start with, every non-white item (magical/rare/unique and so on) has an item code. Each base item has a certain code (see http://www.d2jsp.org/docs/itemcodes.html). However,if the item is magical/unique/rare or runeworded, the base code is then transformed into a unique code that is verified by bnet for duplicates. If two items containing the same code meet withint he same server, bnet makes sure that one of them poofs.

How to s/e against known unperms:

I have realised during my time on jsp, that when people ask me to help them s/e and try to poof an item, they do not know the proper procedure so I have writen this little tutorial in hopes to help everyone out. The most surefire way to check if two items are identical is to perm out while having these two items in inventory. Since there are evidently trust issues if you desire to test the other person's items, there is a second way to do this.

What you need:

- 3x available players/keys.
- 1x character containing the permed item
- 1x character containing the unpermed item
- 1x witness

Step 1: Char containing the unpermed item perms off the character with the permed item
Step 2: Unperm char perms out, exits, and char with perm-to-be-tested exits immediately after.
Step 3: Both chars re-enter game and check.

Facts that should be taken into consideration:

1. As mentionned before, it is possible to have different dupes of a same item, therefore, if for example you s/e against 20 unpermed bmanas, all that is confirmed is that the bmana that are seemingly permed are not one of these 20. However, I can guarantee that there are most definately more than 20 permed bmanas out there.

2. Assuming mr. X knows that he has ONE 100% perfectly permed bmana and holds 10 in his stash while s/eing aginst your unperms, there is a possibility that he can switch this item after having s/ed assumign not all of his unpermed bmanas have disappeared. The best way to avoid this is to have a moderator perform the test. Another method, is to have the person with the "permed" item to wear the item (ex: 08 valk) so that when he/she returns inside the game you can immediately see the results.

3. Make sure that the witness is a true witness and not another version of the guy who can then help lie.

F.A.Q

Q: I have baaled from level 1 to 90 with this grief in my stash and it hasn't yet poofed. Can I be 100% sure its permed?

A: Wrong. From a practical stand point, you can never be sure that an item is permed. Simply because, if an item has been duped once, or twice, the chances of it being on the same ip server within the same time frame is quite rare. It's easy to poof massly duped items, but private or exclusive ones are a lot harder.

Q: This valk's is: Zacharia_DKI found it, then sold to xxx, then xxx, then xxx, then xxx, then me. It must be 100000%% legit since zach would never lie

A: Wrong. Anyone of those xxx's along the way could have had that legit valk duped, and hey: legit valk no more!

Q: If I a legit item is duped, the original copy still remains permed?

A: Wrong!! Read the guide above!! BOTH COPIES have now become duplicates. They simply CANNOT be permed.

Q: This item is duped on classic. If I bring it over to xpac, the id number is reset and thus the item becomes permed.

A: Wrong!! This used to be true, but it has been patched by blizzard. Bringing an unpermed item over from classic DOES NOT make it permed in any way.

Q:I permed out!! Why did my 2x 397/37 griefZ disappear??

A: Simple, even if you perm out, both griefs still have the same id number. Both of them are shifted by one during perm...so they still have the same id number = poofage.

This post was edited by Aquaphire on Dec 31 2006 01:30am
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Dec 31 2006 01:32am
Nice guide, maybe sticky ?
Dec 31 2006 01:33am
Quote (Eradicate @ Sun, Dec 31 2006, 02:32am)
Nice guide, maybe sticky ?

I hope and thanks smile.gif
Gold: 2,025.90
Dec 31 2006 01:39am
Nice guide, you should PM a moderator next time before posting in General Help. smile.gif that guide will finally clear some confusion
Dec 31 2006 01:42am
Quote (SoVJho @ Sun, Dec 31 2006, 02:39am)
Nice guide, you should PM a moderator next time before posting in General Help. smile.gif that guide will finally clear some confusion

I've PMed nJag about it combined with some other things... Dunno if he'll notice it smile.gif
Retired Moderator
Gold: 355.06
Trader: Trusted
Dec 31 2006 01:46am
Nice guide, it will most likely get shot down with all the people saying there is no such thing as perm or unperm ect ect.

Anyway, you forgot to include their are many batches of unperm items. IE differnt bmanas 20/11s ect ect, but now with the new method, you also need to include ANYTHING can be duped and everything pertty much is. I've seen 25 maras duped. Treat everything unperm unless you found it your self.

smile.gif
Gold: 160.14
Dec 31 2006 01:50am
Well, looks good. You should've PM'ed a Junior Moderator or higher before making this guide, but I'll contact one. Since many people ask questions about unperm/perm/legit, it might be stickied.
Go Back To General Help Archive Topic List
Closed New Topic New Poll