d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > Pvp Trapper Guide (version 2) > stats, skills, equip, dueling strat, etc
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Banned
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 20%
Oct 8 2004 01:48pm
Makaveli’s PvP Trapper Guide (Version 2)

Contents

1. Introduction
1.1 Description
1.2 Abbreviations
2. Leveling
2.1 Method 1
2.2 Method 2
3. Statistics
4. Skills
4.1 Trap Skills
4.1.1 Why Fire Blast?
4.2.2 Why Wake of Fire?
4.2 Shadow Disciplines
4.3 Martial Arts
5. Equipment
5.1 Caster Equipment
5.2 Non-caster Equipment
5.2.1 Wiz/Storm vs. Hoto/Wihtstan Block Equips
5.3 Cold Res Equipment
5.4 Trapper Equipment
5.5 Light Res Equipment
5.6 Why No Trap Claws?
6. Information
6.1 Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints
6.2 Faster Hit Recovery Breakpoints
6.3 Trap-laying Speed Breakpoints
7. Dueling Strategy
7.1 General Dueling Tips
7.1.1 Trapping
7.1.2 Dealing with Lightning Absorb
7.2 Amazon
7.2.1 Bowazon
7.2.2 Lightning Fury Javazon
7.2.3 Poison Javazon
7.2.4 Charged Strike Zon
7.3 Assassin
7.3.1 Whirlwind Sin
7.3.2 Kicksin
7.3.3 Trapper
7.4 Barbarian
7.4.1 Whirlwind Barb
7.4.2 Throw Barb
7.4.3 Warcry Barb
7.5 Druid
7.5.1 Melee Druid
7.5.2 Wind Elemental Druid
7.5.3 Fire Elemental Druid
7.6 Necromancer
7.6.1 Bonemancer
7.6.2 Summon Necro
7.6.3 Poisonmancer
7.6.4 Summon/Bonemancer
7.7 Paladin
7.7.1 FoH Paladin
7.7.2 Hammerdin
7.7.3 Charger
7.7.4 V/T (FoH + Smite + possibly Charge)
7.7.5 Liberator (Hammer + Charge)
7.7.6 Zealot
7.7.7 Mage (Hammer + FoH)
7.8 Sorceress
7.8.1 Blizz Sorceress
7.8.2 Orb Sorceress
7.8.3 FB Sorceress
7.8.4 Lightning Sorceress

1. Introduction

1.1 Description

I know there are already some Trapper guides on these forums, but this build is quite different from the others. It offers quite a few advantages over the current guides in my opinion.

1.2 Abbreviations
BoS: Burst of Speed
BP: Break Point
CTA: Call to Arms
DR: % Damage Reduced
FB: Fire Blast
FCR: Faster Cast Rate
FHR: Faster Hit Recovery
Hoto: Heart of the Oak
IAS: Increased Attack Speed
LS: Lightning Sentry
MB: Mind Blast
WoF: Wake of Fire

2. Leveling

There are several methods to go about leveling. These two are the ones I use for making new chars.

2.1 Method 1
This method requires a high level player to help you. (I don't know why I included this, but I did it in a previous version and just kept it.)

1) Get another person to rush you to Hell Act 4. (To get the Baal quests without being levels 20 and 40, create or join a public game and be in the party of another player who gets the quest.)
2) Have the high-level person teleport to Chaos Sanctuary and TP you.
3) Level in Chaos Sanctuary runs until you are level 20.
4) Level to 24 in normal cows.
5) Do Normal Ancients.
6) Do more Chaos Sanctuary runs until you are level 60.
7) Do Hell Ancients.
8) Do Hell Baal runs.

2.2 Method 2
You can do this method alone for the most part.

1) Level to 5 as you go through Normal Act 1 to do the Cain quest.
2) Level to 15 in Tristram
3) Have another player level you to 20 in the Tal Rasha Tombs in Act 2.
4) Have another player level you to 24 in Normal cows.
5) Do Normal Ancients.
6) Level to 40 in Normal Baal runs.
7) Do Nightmare Ancients.
8) Level to 60 in Nightmare Baal runs.
9) Do Hell Ancients.
10) Do Hell Baal runs.

3. Statistics

Strength: Enough to use your equipment. (You shouldn't need to add any)
Dexterity: Enough to use your equipment. (You will need to add 3-13 depending on your Annihilus.)
Vitality: The rest!
Energy: None

4. Skills

4.1 Trap Skills
Fire Blast: 1+ (all extra skills go here)
Wake of Fire: 1
Shock Web: 20
Charged Bolt Sentry: 20
Lightning Sentry: 20
Death Sentry: 20

4.1.1 Why Fire Blast?

1. Fire Blast helps deal with lightning absorb.
2. It does 5.2k damage with my normal caster equip at level 94.
3. It is a GREAT way to finish off enemies when they are trapped.

4.1.2 Why Wake of Fire?

1. Wake of Fire helps greatly in traplocking enemies: it is better than LS for that.
2. It does a little damage against lightning absorbers in addition to Fire Blast.

4.2 Shadow Disciplines
Claw Mastery: 1 (prerequisite)
Psychic Hammer: 1
Burst of Speed: 1
Claw Block: 1 (prerequisite)
Cloak of Shadows: 1 (prerequisite)
Shadow Warrior: 1 (Note 1)
Mind Blast: 1

4.3 Martial Arts
None

Note 1: I only got Shadow Warrior instead of Shadow Master because it is only used as a minion to take hits and it can be recasted so Warrior is just as good. Also, Shadow Warrior uses the skills you have selected. This allows you to control what kind of spells so you can make her use Mind Blast while you do

5. Equipment

I have several sets of equipment that you should use against different characters. I also have some things listed that you should keep in stash.

5.1 Caster Equipment
This equipment is for dueling casters or physical damage characters with which you do not have problems. It does not have block or much DR, but it has the highest attainable FCR breakpoint. This equip uses BoS.

Helm: 08 Valkyrie Wing (Jah would work, but I use a 15 all res/15 ias jewel’d one because it goes with my res equip and it would cost more than it is worth to get two.)
Amulet: Storm Hide (USEast amulet -- +2 Assassin, 20 str, 19 dex, life, mana, res; anything similar would be fine) or Mara’s Kaleidoscope
Weapon: Heart of the Oak
Armor: Enigma Light Armor (Enigma is really the only choice here. Use something that would not require you to add Strength: I use Breast Plate.)
Shield: Sanctuary Shield (The type matters little. Tower shield or blade barrier have the best % blocking, but it is not a big deal)
Gloves: Magefist
Belt: Arachnid's Mesh
Boots: Waterwalks
Rings: 2x SoJ (Note 1) (Note 2)
Charms: 10x Trap Skill Charms (preferably with life), Annihilus, 9x Life sc's with Mana
Weapon Switch: Call to Arms + Lidless

Note 1: Use a Ravenfrost if you are dueling a cold sorc so you do not get frozen and lose trap-laying speed
Note 2: You could use a Dwarf Star against Fireball Sorceresses if you wish, but more than 1 item of absorb per element is considered bad mannered.

5.2 Non-Caster Equipment
This equipment is for dueling Amazons, Good WW Barbs, Chargers, and any other physical damage characters with which you have problems. The equip has better block and DR, but less life and FHR. This equip can use FADE or BoS.

Helm: 08 Valkyrie Wing (Ber’d for Wihtstan equip; Jah’d for Storm equip; again, I just use my ias/res jewel’d one)
Amulet: Storm Hide (or whatever your normal amulet happens to be)
Weapon: Heart of the Oak of Wizzy (Shael’d) – I prefer Wizzy for resistance and more DR (I am able to use Fade with Wizardspike)
Armor: Enigma
Shield: Stormshield (-req/dex) or Wihtstan’s Guard (Ber’d) – I prefer Stormshield (I am able to use Fade and Wizardspike and get max DR and only lose 10% blocking)
Belt: Arachnid’s Mesh
Boots: Waterwalks or Rare boots (str/dex/res -- Soul Spurs on USEast) (Note 1)
Rings: 2x Ravenfrost (Note 2) (Note 3)
Charms: Trap Skill Charms (preferably with life), Annihilus, 9x Life sc's w/ mana

Note 1: If you use the Wizzy/Storm equip, these are needed for str. If you use the Hoto/Wihtstan equip, these are needed for res.
Note 2: Ravenfrost is a must for this equipment so you do not get frozen and lose trap-laying speed: it also helps with the block.
Note 3: If you are dueling a cold sorceress at the same time (in team dueling, for example), just use Ravenfrost + SoJ if you are dueling in a place that it matters.

5.2.1 Wiz/Storm vs. Hoto/Wihtstan Block Equips

Fade/Wiz/Storm PROs:
High Resistances (75/75/75/75 in hell -- stacked to 112/200/184/112)
50% DR

Fade/Wiz/Storm CONs:
Low r/w
41% Blocking (Note 1)
7.9k LS damage

BoS/Hoto/Wihtstan PROs:
High r/w
53% Blocking (Note 1)
9k LS damage

BoS/Hoto/Wihtstan CONs:
Low Resistances (25/53/72/25 in hell)
16% DR (24% DR with Ber’d Valk)

Note 1: Blocking figures are at level 94.
In my opinion, the Wiz/Storm equip is much better than the Hoto/Wihtstan equip for blocking.

5.3 Cold Res Equipment
I do not think this equip would be considered good mannered, but, nevertheless, those of you who do not follow any dueling rules may find this useful. This equip uses FADE.

Helm: 08 Valkyrie Wing (15 ias/15 all res jewel’d)
Amulet: Storm Hide (USEast amulet -- +2 Assassin, 20 str, 19 dex, life, mana, res; anything similar would be fine) or Mara’s Kaleidoscope
Weapon: Wizardspike (Shael’d)
Shield: 150 Cold Res / -15% requirements Monarch (3x P Sapphires + -req/30 Cold Res jewel or similar)
Belt: Arachnid's Mesh
Boots: Soul Spurs (str/dex/res rare boots)
Rings: 2x Ravenfrosts
Charms: 10x Trap Skill Charms (preferably with life), Annihilus, 9x Life sc's with Mana

This equip gives 217 res above 75 in hell. Since most cold sorceresses lower cold res by about 225-240, you may want to add a few life sc’s with cold resistance to bring it above 240.

5.4 Trapper Equipment
This equip is for dueling other trappers. This equip uses BoS.

Helm: 08 Valkyrie Wing (15ias/15all res jewel’d)
Weapon: Heart of the Oak
Shield: Lidless (P Topaz’d) or Sanctuary (Note 1)
Belt: Thundergod’s Vigor or Arachnid’s Mesh (Note 1) (Note 2)
Boots: Soul Spurs
Rings: 2x SoJ or 1-2x Wisps (Note 1) (Note 2)
Charms: 10x Trap Skill Charms (preferably with life), Annihilus, 9x Life sc’s with Mana

Note 1: You should use Sanctuary/Arachnid’s Mesh/Wisp OR Lidless/Thundergod’s/SoJ’s if you are planning on going with the gm-standard 1 absorb per element.
Note 2: Depending on what dueling rules, if any, you are following, you may want to use a different amount of absorbs. As long as you use Lidless, Thundergod’s Vigor should be fine and you could use Wisps no matte what the other equip is.

5.5 Light Res equipment
This equip is for dueling FoH paladins. This equip uses FADE.

Helm: 08 Valkyrie Wing (15ias/15all res jewel’d)
Weapon: Wizardspike (Shael’d)
Shield: 150 Light Res / -15% requirements Monarch (3x P Topazes + -req/30 Light Res jewel or similar)
Belt: Arachnid’s Mesh
Boots: Soul Spurs
Rings: 2x SoJ or 1-2x Wisps (Note 1)
Charms: 10x Trap Skill Charms (preferably with life), Annihilus, 9x Life sc’s with Mana

Note 1: Depending on what dueling rules, if any, you are following, you may want to use a different amount of absorbs.

This equip gives 177 stacked Lightning Resistance in hell. You could possibly need to add some life sc’s with lightning res to nullify the effects of FoH Paladins with large amounts of facets.

5.6 Why No Trap Claws?

1. My dueling style is more offensive (as you will see in the dueling strategy section) than many trappers so teleport speed is one of the most important aspects of my build.
2. Dual claw trappers have no chance against necromancers. A good necromancer will not come close to a trapper who is sitting on their traps (which dual claw trappers usually do). Since dual claw trappers can have 65 fcr at most, they cannot chase a necromancer. The necromancer can out-range them.
3. This equip is better for traplocking people with the higher cast rate and ability to teleport.
4. Although it is relatively easy to kill absorbers with dual claw trappers, the high level Fire Blast makes it possible to beat absorbers with the lower Lightning Sentry damage.

6. Information

6.1 Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints
Frame Per Cast: FCR needed
16 frame: 0%
15 frame: 8%
14 frame: 16%
13 frame: 24%
12 frame: 42%
11 frame: 65%
10 frame: 102%
9 frame: 174%

Faster cast rate is very important for a weapon/shield trapper. You need 102% faster cast rate to be able to chase enemies.

6.2 Faster Hit Recovery Breakpoints
Frames for Hit Recovery: FHR needed
9 frame: 0%
8 frame: 7%
7 frame: 15%
6 frame: 27%
5 frame: 48%
4 frame: 86%
3 frame: 200%

Faster hit recovery is not very important for a trapper in my opinion, but 08 Valk and Sanctuary give 50% faster hit recovery for the 5 frame breakpoint.

6.3 Trap-laying Speed Breakpoints
These numbers are the amounts of IAS needed for max trap-laying speed for each of these weapons. Note that the BoS levels are the levels that are used with this equip.

Wizardspike + Burst of Speed (slvl 9): 0%
Heart of the Oak + Burst of Speed (slvl 13): 5%
Wizardspike + Fade: 65%
Heart of the Oak + Fade: 90%

It is VERY important to have max trap-laying speed on any trapper. You must have it in whatever equip you use.

7. Dueling Strategy

The dueling strategies here are aimed more toward good mannered dueling, but much of it can be applied to bad mannered dueling as well.

7.1 General Dueling Tips

7.1.1 Trapping
"Trapping" is casting Traps and Mind Blast so that your opponent cannot move. Your goal in most duels is to get your opponent trapped and finish them off. Here are the steps in the process of trapping:

1) Cast 5 Lightning Sentry's near your opponent. Do not cast them all on top of each other. Spread them out some.
2) Mind Blast your opponent 1-2 times.
3) Cast 2 Wake of Fire's.
4) Mind Blast a few times.
5) Throw a few Fire Blasts.
6) By this time, you should have them locked in place pretty well so you should cast Traps (cast them one at a time as a mixture of WoF and LS -- keep 5 going at all times), cast Mind Blast when needed, and throw Fire Blast's to finish off your opponent. (Fire Blast is an underrated skill, but they can do over 4k damage each on this type of trapper.)

If your opponent gets away somewhere in the middle of the process, but doesn't go too far, keep your namelock and Teleport on their head and restart the Trapping process. If your opponent gets further away, you will need to Teleport to your opponent and restart the Trapping process.

Another thing that is overlooked by many Trappers is that you should not always namelock the traps. Once you are close to your opponent and they are partially trapped, you should stop namelocking the traps. You should cast the traps around your opponent which makes it easier to maintain the trapping.

7.1.2 Dealing with Lightning Absorb
According to some people, a Trapper is useless against a character using lightning absorb, but this is just not true; I have killed many absorbers with my Trapper. Instead of Lightning Sentry+Wake of Fire, you need to use all Wake of Fire. Once you get them trapped with Wake of Fire and Mind Blast, you can throw some Fire Blast (which does 5.2k damage on my Trapper using Hoto @ level 94). Remember to maintain your trap by recasting more Wake of Fire.

If your opponent is enough of both Fire and Lightning Absorb to nullify both attacks, you are pretty useless, but your opponent is being pretty gay.

7.2 Amazon

7.2.1 Bowazon
Equipment: Non-caster
This duel is very easy with the Non-caster Equip, you can tank them while you trap them, but be careful not to get stunlocked by many arrows; you can avoid this by beginning trapping from a distance until you get them running away. When the duel begins, you should come toward the Amazon diagonally (longest teleports possible so that not many guided arrows lock onto you) and cast Lightning Sentry in the corner of your screen when she is close. Then, Teleport to her and start the Trapping process.

7.2.2 Lightning Fury Javazon
Equipment: Caster
This is an easy duel, you need to keep your distance and dodge Lightning Fury's. Do not teleport on their head. Lay traps, Mind Blast, and finally begin throwing Fire Blast's while keeping them trapped from about a half-screen’s distance.

7.2.3 Poison Javazon
This duel can be little tricky. You need to avoid the poison javelins and the poison clouds they leave behind. One hit and they should drain you to 1 life. (The duration is pretty long, but it can still drain you to 1 life.) You should duel them much like a Lightning Javazon, but you need to be more careful because the poison does more damage than Lightning Fury. Do not move in as quickly as against a lightning Javazon; you need to make sure they are locked and cannot throw a javelin before moving in. (Plague Javelin, the javelin with a big cloud at the end instead of a line of clouds, will drain you very fast and it is easier for the javazon to hit you when they are closer.)

7.2.4 Charged Strike Javazon
Equipment: Trapper
This duel can be a little bit of a problem if the Amazon fast and uses Teleport correctly. You need to stay far away from this character while trapping it. Do not get close unless she is trapped well and you are ready to throw Fire Blasts.

7.3 Assassin

7.3.1 Whirlwind Sin
This duel can be a challenge against a skilled WW sin because you cannot lock them in traps very well due to whirlwind and high resists. You should to cast Lightning Sentry’s around your screen and stay near them. The Whirlwind Sin will be forced to come to you and attack, so you need to stay near the traps so they continue to hit; only move to dodge whirlwinds.

7.3.2 Kicksin
This duel shouldn't be much of a problem. Just trap her as quickly as possible and do not let her get close and kick you because it can be a problem to get away. If she teleports or Dragon Flights to you, teleport away and lay new traps.

7.3.3 Trapper
Equipment: Trapper
This duel can take quite a while and can get boring if both players play defensively. You need to lay Lightning Sentry's in a row. (The row should take up about a screen.) When the Trapper is near, try to lay Lightning Sentry's in a row that is perpendicular to the line between the two of you or in an arrow pointing toward your opponent. If the traps begin to hit her and you can safely get near her, you should namelock mb and traps keep her trapped while allowing her traps to shoot the rest of their shots as you dodge them. Whoever can trap their opponent well first will usually be the winner.

7.4 Barbarians

7.4.1 Whirlwind Barb
This duel can be a challenge against a skilled WW barb because you cannot lock them in traps very well due to Whirlwind and high life. The duel will take a long time to take all of his very large life. You should to cast Lightning Sentry's and Mind Blast the barb while avoiding Whirlwind. You need to stay close to your traps while dodging the Whirlwind. If the Barb is a hybrid with throwing weapons on switch, be ready and be careful not to get hit by them.

7.4.2 Throw Barb
This is not a very difficult duel. Just trap them from a distance while dodging their javelins (or whatever they may be throwing) until you can safely get close, much like a Bowazon.

7.4.3 Warcry Barb
This is a very easy duel. Set traps around you and wait for them, they cannot hurt u without being close. If you get tired of that, you can just rush him and trap him, it's not hard.

7.4.4 Concentration/Berserk Barb
This is an easy duel. Do not let them get close and trap them from a distance. It should take quite a while to finish them off, but as long as you can keep them trapped, you should win this duel very easily.

7.5 Druids

7.5.1 Melee Druid
Equipment: Non-Caster
This should cover all types of melee druids: Fury, Fire, and Poison. It's a very easy duel. Just trap them from a distance so you do not hit.

7.5.2 Wind Elemental Druid
Equipment: Non-Caster (Remember, Tornado is physical damage.)
This duel is easy. You need to stay near your traps in the beginning of the duel. Once the Druid gets close and gets hit with a trap(s), you can chase him and do the trapping process if you can do it without him getting away. Be careful to not click their summons when trapping them.

7.5.3 Fire Elemental Druid
Believe it or not, this duel can be a LITTLE difficult against a skilled player. Be careful not to be too defensive because they can cast volcano under your feet, so you need to be offensive. Chase them and trap them.

7.6 Necromancers

7.6.1 Bonemancer
As usual, Bonemancers are one of the hardest characters to beat. If he is a Necro that Teleports on your head every time, he will not be as much of a problem because you can put traps around yourself. On the other hand, if he plays a little more defensively, he will be much harder to beat. You need to play both offensively and defensively at the right times against this type of Necro. You need to always be ready to trap him if he Teleports on your head to cast Bone Spears. If he spams Bone Spirit (note that the Bone Spirits will be invisible if he is shooting from off of your minimap), you need to move to a place where he will not hit with ibs and set traps; around the corner of a box, for example. If he comes close, shoots, and Teleports away, you should chase him and try to trap him. You should have very high life with this build so know that you can tank a few of the Necro's attacks if it allows you to trap him.

7.6.2 Summon Necro
With your non-caster equipment, this duel should not be much of a challenge. DO NOT let them Teleport on your head. You need to play pretty defensively until most of the summons are dead. Once a lot of them die, you can be offensive and chase him down to trap him.

7.6.3 Poisonmancer
This duel can be pretty hard against a skilled Poisonmancer. You cannot take very many hits from this type of Necro. Since a Poisonmancer must get relatively close to hit you, you should play defensively. When he gets close, trap him.

7.6.4 Summon/Bonemancer
Equipment: Caster if he has weak summons; Non-caster if he has strong summons
This duel can also be quite hard. Duel him like a normal Summon Necro until his summons are dead and then duel him like a normal (but weaker) Bonemancer.

7.7 Paladins

7.7.1 FoH Paladin
Equipment: Light Res
This duel will not be too hard with the Light Res equipment because it has at least 177 stacked Lightning Resistance in hell. This will nullify the effects of conviction and facets.

7.7.2 Hammerdin
This duel is not too bad. Like the Poisonmancer, Hammerdins must get very close to hit so you should play defensively. Once the Hammerdin comes close, trap him and you should win. Do not chase the hammerdin if he is not trapped because he will cast a lot of hammers behind him hoping that you will run into them. Also be careful not to get hit by stray hammers as they can be kind of hard to see.

7.7.3 Charger
This duel can be hard. If the Paladin uses Doom, you will have some problems because it slows down your trap-laying speed. Chargers are already hard to trap because of the way they can charge out of traps. The Charger will most likely Charge you (lol), so you need to set traps near yourself until he comes. Trapping him will be very hard, nearly impossible. If you cannot get him trapped well, try to just cast Lightning Sentry's and run while casting a few random Mind Blasts to knock him back into your traps for some hits; you probably cannot traplock him.

7.7.4 V/T (FoH + Smite + possibly Charge)
Equipment: Light Res
I think this duel is easy with the light res equip. Conviction will not do anything to you with the Light Res equip so FoH does not do much damage. All you need keep your distance to avoid Smite and trap them. If the V/T also uses Charge (even more so with Doom), he will be a little harder to beat. Their charge doesn't do nearly as much damage as a pure Charger, so you can take some hits to trap them.

If you use the caster equip, this duel can be more of a challenge. You will not be able to lock this character because he can charge out of traps; therefore, you should try to hit them with 5 traps, MB a couple times, and teleport away. Keep doing this, but be careful not to get Conviction and get hit with FoH. Only get inside the Conviction range when they cannot FoH (because of your traps).

7.7.5 Liberator (Hammer + Charge)
A well-played Liberator can put up quite a challenge. They do need to get close to hit you so you can play a little defensively, but be careful because their Charge will do about 13k. Do not let them Charge you from below because they can easily switch to hammer which will be casted right above them, hitting you. If you keep your distance and do not let them Charge from below as they can charge and then hammer quickly, you should be able to trap them to win the duel.

7.7.6 Zealot
This is an easy duel. Just trap them from a distance, but be careful not to get Charged.

7.7.7 Mage (Hammer + FoH)
Equipment: Caster or Light Res
If you use the light res equip, duel him just like a normal, but weaker, hammerdin. Lay your 5 traps around your screen and wait for him to come within the range of one of a couple of the traps, MB him, and keep the lock to win.

If you use the caster equip, this duel could be more interesting, but not a huge problem. He still needs to get within Conviction range to do much damage with FoH and has to be right beside you to hit with hammer. DO NOT follow him when he does not have traps on him because you will run into his stray hammers. Stay outside the Conviction range unless he is in traps + MB and cannot FoH you. If you cannot traplock him (if he charges out, for example), just chip away at his life with LS and some MB (just MB 1-2 times with traps near and get away).

7.8 Sorceresses

7.8.1 Blizz Sorceress
Equipment: Caster or Cold Res
This is a hard duel. Put on a Ravenfrost so your trap-laying speed does not get slowed too much. You need to stay away from a Blizz Sorceress so she cannot cast Blizzard on your head. You should lay traps at an outside corner of a wall or box so the Sorceress can only come from so many directions. You need to stay there until she comes close and your traps shoot at her; then, Teleport on her head and finish trapping her.

7.8.2 Orb Sorceress
Equipment: Caster or Cold Res
This duel CAN be hard as well. Put on a Ravenfrost so your trap-laying speed does not get slowed too much. You cannot chase an Orb Sorceress because they will just Orb behind them and continue Teleporting. You need to sit on your traps against Orb Sorceresses. Make sure your traps are as spread out around yourself as possible with them remaining on your screen and evenly spaced. When she comes close, try to MB her while being careful not to get hit with orb because it can do quite a bit of damage if you take a full one.

7.8.3 FB Sorceress
This duel can be hard too. Put on a Dwarf. You can be a bit more offensive against a FB Sorceress. Just chase her and trap her while dodging her attacks.

7.8.4 Lightning Sorceress
This duel is not too hard. Since Lightning takes a while to cast, you can chase her and trap her. If she shoots a Lightning, dodge it and teleport in to finish trapping her. She will not be able to move until her lightning is done casting.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 8 2004 02:44pm
WOW! props on the guide! Nice and detailed. happy.gif
Gold: 0.01
Oct 8 2004 03:00pm
good guide trapper set up seems unique but which one of those setups up there is best for all around pubbie dueling?
Banned
Oct 8 2004 06:35pm
i use the caster equip in pubs...
Gold: 8.09
Warn: 10%
Oct 8 2004 07:28pm
it depends chat chars are in puvvy duel.

i see games with more than 6 sorcs, or all melee.
Banned
Oct 8 2004 10:32pm
i normally don't need dr/block in pubs, but if i'm having trouble, i'll put it on
Oct 9 2004 11:54pm
Nice guide, if you play offensive then fcr > damage. I play a sin simular to this, but on ladder so no valk for me sad.gif
Your guide has a good layout and lots of information on gear sets and dueling strats, nice work^
Gold: 94.49
Oct 10 2004 01:58am
FCR & FHR is always priority to damage. Damage does not increase substantially (unless, of course, you're ditching Concentration for some other skill in a Hammer Paladin) but in this case, Claw Block is much more useful than FCR.

I'd use Shael in the 08 Valk if you need.
Banned
Oct 10 2004 01:22pm
fhr means very little on trappers imo... but 50 is plenty in any case (i used none for a while and it didnt matter much) and the equip does have 102 fcr... shaeling valk would be useless on this build... bp's are 48/86

claw block isnt that good... u have no chance against necros and defensive casters with dual claw because low fcr (dont argue it, necros can ibs u. if they tele on u to spear, they are newbs.)

=Lo=... you could use griffons with a little ias and still use hoto to get max traplaying/102fcr...

This post was edited by makaveli7 on Oct 10 2004 01:25pm
Gold: 94.49
Oct 10 2004 01:32pm
QUOTE (makaveli7 @ Oct 10 2004, 12:22 PM)
fhr means very little on trappers imo... but 50 is plenty in any case (i used none for a while and it didnt matter much) and the equip does have 102 fcr... shaeling valk would be useless on this build... bp's are 48/86

claw block isnt that good... u have no chance against necros and defensive casters with dual claw because low fcr (dont argue it, necros can ibs u. if they tele on u to spear, they are newbs.)

=Lo=... you could use griffons with a little ias and still use hoto to get max traplaying/102fcr...

The only reason why most C/C trappers don't lose to Fireball Sorceresses is because of Claw Block.

It's a bitch against Necs & Sorcs.
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll