d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > ++final Hammer Guide By Vic A.k.a. Rip_thejesus++ > A guide written by a pro made for pros
12325Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8.00
May 22 2006 09:10am
UTLIMATE HAMMMERDIN/SMITE PvP Guide By VIC a.k.a. RIP_TheJesus (Ver. 1.0 and Final)

INTRODUCTION:

People have been bombing me with questions about build and strategy during several months now and so far I have kept it for myself but what the heck, I’ve decided to share some of my knowledge to people in need. So the guide is finally here, that you’ve all been waiting for, the Ultimate hammer Guide by me a.k.a. RIP_TheJesus. This guide is the only guide you will ever need and is written for high-end duelers who only want the best. This is a guide based only on my own experience as a hardcore dueler since 1.10, and solely through the thousands of duels I’ve made in: tournaments/ open duels/ 1on1 duels. Compared to other guides that mostly take ages to read I will keep this guide fairly short so it will be easy and fun to read. A guide that owns doesn’t necessarily need to be long, vice versa, I want to keep it as short and concise as possible. I will only refer to the ultimate build in this matter and those who can’t afford such items can hopefully make their own opinion by assume from this build (or ask me) and make their hammer as near this build as possible. If you are looking for a pro hammer guide written by a pro hammer player this is where to look. I have hard to see anyone else writing a more working and truly functional guide then me in this area. I’ve been around for a long time and most people know who has dueled me or seen me play that with skill + this build you can’t fail in any prospect. Now let’s begin.

GENERAL INFORMATION:

The guide exposed here is a pure lock build, which means that it isn’t suitable for vigor + charge dueling which I consider to be a lame, crappy and non-skilled def style. Since a good locker overwhelms a vigor /charge hammer in any aspect both to amount of kills per minute and overall effectiveness the use of zaka, wizzy (as primary weapon) are totally worthless and is not recommended to any hammerdin (desync- or lock hammer). Of course this is easier said then done since no matter build, it requires a certain amount of skill, but if mastered it is totally outstanding. This build can of course also be transformed into vigor + charge hammer easily by just changing the hotkeys if some people persist in using pure desync dueling with ultimate result. The following writings in here further contain the items and strategy necessary to provide an aggressive style where fast locks are involved, but also a combination of charge/desync actions which will give you a hammer that is almost immortal. Only 1 enemy actually poses a threat (Elemental druid). More on that in the duel section. Enough said.

11 REASONS TO CHOSE HAMMERDIN

1) High dmg

2) Dmg can’t be absorbed

3) One of the fastest fc rates of all characters

4) Many helpful auras in duels

5) Very mobile with fast desync (vigor + charge excluded)

6) Being able to use huge amount of stacked res without lacking much in dmg

7) Can beat any other char

8) No weaknesses

9) High life

10) Being able to shift style (going from teleport to desync or smite or vice versa) and use more then 1 strategy to bring down your foe. This makes paladin/hammerdin rather unique as class (what more can you ask for?)

11) The hammers become invisible if you have 125 fc and spam them outside the enemy’s view field. On top of that the hammer last for about 5 secs which means that even after you’ve launched them the enemy who is unaware of the situation will die walking into them.

HAMMERDIN IN SHORT:

Base stats:

Strength: 25

Dexterity: 20

Vitality: 25

Energy: 15

1 Stat Point Returns:

Life/Vitality: 3

Mana/Energy: 2

Faster Hit Recovery Breakpoints: + Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints:

I won't present the score here since the layout won't permit it to be done nicely, so I will instead refer to this link where you can see everything you need to know.

http://ep-pvp.net/info/Paladin.htm

SKILL TREE:

Max:
Blessed hammer
Concentration
Blessed aim
Vigor

1 point into:
Fanaticism
Meditation
Redemption
Defiance

Rest into:
Holy shield

CHARACTER SKILL POINTS:

Str: none
Dex: as much as needed for max block (depending on items)
Vita: everything else
Mana: none

HOTKEYS:

Left side:
Blessed hammer
Smite

Right side:
Cleansing
Meditation
Holy shield
Concentration
Fanaticism
Charge
Teleport

INVENTORY:

- Anni: 20/20/10
- Torch:20/20
- Pc skillers: 40-45 (the amount of pc skillers is individual as long as it isn’t more then 5).
- 20/5 scs: (the amount of scs is individual and should be between 22-37 depending on the amount of pc skillers provided).

GEAR:

- Hoto 40
- Trang gloves
- Buggbelt
- 2* fc rings
- Enigma of preferred choice (low str req enigma such as BP, CUIRASS, DUSK or similar)
**the reson for using low str req enigma is mainly the option to change BB for t-gods or snowclash without having problems to wear the armor**
- Shako/Coa
- 10-15 fc pala amu
- Spirit sacred targe
- WW
- Cta 6 6 4
- BO spirit

STASH:

- Wizzy (socketed 9 dex/15 allres jew) or simply Ko rune *
- 2* bk 5 rings *
- Kiras (socketed Lo)
- Grief pb *
- Exile Sacred targe *
- Crescent moon (vs. lamers) *
- 20 fc pala circlet *
- Arachnid *
- Maras 30 (prebo)
- 2* wisps
-Hotspur
- Snowclash
- Thundergods
- Demon Limb *
- 2* ravens *
- Boots with fire/light/cold high RESIST

COMMENTS: (gear)

As a hardcore hammer you will need as high DR as possible and that can only be achieved with BB together with Enigma and Shako/Coa. I use shako (socketed ber) myself since it adds +2 skills and huge life/mana which together with enigma and BB give 46% DR. Coa is another option for RES and DR but since the FHR cap is 48% and 86% you will need to socket the Coa with –15/ 7 FHR jew or sock it with Jah (if you have an amu that provides str) to reach the optimal 86% DR. The problem is that you will need to use a sc with 5 FHR to reach 86% cap by socket Coa with jah which, I personally don’t prefer. Some ppl do like this setup and it works just fine too. Coa Gives 51% DR compared to shako 46% DR. On the other hand you lose allot of life with Coa (+1 skill point) since it has high str req and due to the fact (as pinpointed above) you will have to change 1*20/5 sc vs 5 fhr sc to reach the cap at 86% FHR (if you have Coa + jah). Frankly, the only time you will actually need 86% FHR is versus good Elemental druids (more of that later). The Coa/shako discussion is a matter of taste and it’s rather individual so end of discussion.
The fcr rings should have the following stats: 10 fc/ 12-15 dex/ 30-40 life/ 30+mana/ 30 cr/lr. These rings are incredible rare and very expensive but if you get one, or get similar with or without res = just fine. Optimal rings would in this case be 10 fc /15 dex /40 life / 30+mana / 30 cr and the other 10 fc /15 dex /40 life /30+mana / 30 lr. The spirit shall be in sacred targe or in sacred rondache and of course as good as possible (35/45/112/8), no more comments there. When choosing the amu, you have 2 options. Either go for +2 pala/ 10-15fc/ 20 dex/ + other mods or +2 pala/ 10-15 fc/ 60+life/ + other mods. You have a third option too and that’s +2 pala / 10-15 fc/ 10-20 dex / 40+life / +other mods. The third amu is of course very rare and obviously the optimal choice. Further more the fc on amu has a minimum 10 fc since depending on stats of Spirit you always want to aim for 125 fc. The thought of what boots to use is very simple. There are simply no other boots on the market who is better then WW for a hammerdin due to 3 reasons: 1) 65 life, 2) 15 dex, 3) 5 max fire res. With this said you nn str on hammer boots, you nn fhr on hammer boots (Spirit and Coa provides that), you do need huge life and dex. There are no needs for any other boots, no duped or rare whatsoever, end of discussion.

**Any Comments on this just ask**

This post was edited by --TheJesus-- on May 22 2006 09:31am
May 22 2006 09:11am
COMMENTS: (stash)

I won't go through all of the items in stash since I think the items that without mark (*) are pretty obvious so I'll keep this short.

* Wizzy: You will need this if you prefer to have more mana or more res.
* Bk rings: these are purely vs necs and other hammerdins together with arach for more dmg and more life and still have the breakpoint at 125 fc. Can also be used for prebo.
* Grief Pb: Since this is a hammer/smiter build you will need this grief sometimes vs bowas and ES 95% sorcs which are a pain to kill with hammers.
* Exile: You will need this for the same reason as Grief which will transform you from a hammer to a smiter that gives you 20% chance of getting life tap together with draculs.
* Crescent moon: Use this runeword vs. other lame hammers if you feel you want to own him fast. The benefit of this is that you will actually become a druid since you will be given 5 wolfs upon summon which greatly decrease the chance for your enemy to kill you / survive. *This runeword is a known lame item so use on your own risk*
* 20 fc criclet: Use this only with crescent moon together with arachnid since by changing hoto/wizzy vs crescent it will take away 40 fc which means you wont have 125 fc unless doing this.
* Arachnid: As mentioned above, use only with bks vs necs/hammers or with crescent moon.
* Demon limb: Use this while using Grief + exile + draculs since you will have an AR at about 12 k (with 2 ravens) which is vital for killing defensive 95% ES sorcs or bowas (in some cases).
* Ravens: Use these for absorb (if needed) or if you need more AR combining Grief + Exile.

**Any Comments on this just ask**

DUEL SECTION: 1 vs. 1 mode
This is the 1on1 section where this build is measured with all the other builds around where I will comment each fight but also provide a difficult level for people to realize the resistance each other character can deal. I will set the difficulty level based on hammer as a character and not as my own skill ability assuming that the enemy player is very skilled. The duels presented below are based on 0 absorb items.
Amazon:

Bowa: **Difficulty: Easy-medium **
Make sure to have standard max block gear with full DR. This duel is all about reading the bowas movement. Whether she is going right or left or down, never lock on top of her since you will miss at 100% rate. Always teleport ahead of her movement, which basically means that you have to teleport a few inches in front of her direction since a bowazon, will tend to desync while she walks. If you can, make sure to have her go upwards since your lock will have allot higher success. For easy kill equip exile +grief +draculs and use demon limb if allowed to a 1-2 hit charge kill. If necessary, shift to smite while going close.

Java: **Difficulty: Medium **
If the javazon is chasing you make sure you use charge desync (not walk) in small fractions spamming 1 hammer each second which will make the java die, get hit, or quit chasing you. This opens an excellent opportunity to lock her and finish her off. If that doesn¡¦t work you can also try to let the java come back to you after making some space while you spam 1 or 2 hammers, when she gets near enough, then right after, teleport above her and spam additional 1-2 hammers. Since the java is likely to lock you she will with certainty get hit by your first hammer, if that ain¡¦t the case she will auto walk to you where you teleporter right after (above) and die by your second raid of hammers. This battle is all about awaiting the right opportunity to lock which will be open to you after some knowledge about her duel style. Read her and act thereby. Assuming you can use T-gods this fight will be a piece of cake.

Sorceress:

Non ES sorcs (Blizz/orb/fire/light):**Difficulty: very easy **
Just lock her down. Await the right opportunity or just chase her. Lock or desync depending on situation. There is not much to say here. 1 hit will most certainly kill her.

95% precast ES sorcs (Blizz/orb/fire/light): **Difficulty: Hard **
Use wizzy + kiras + resi boots for this fight and you will virtually take no dmg from all sorcs except fire sorc. (use WW instead). Since most Es sorcs will have inventory full of mana pots she will almost be immortal to your hammer damage meaning she will take 5-20 hammers depending on what time after each other you hit her with hammers. Assuming an Es build with 1,8 k life and 4,5-5 k mana, it really poses a problem. If the sorc is very defensive it poses an even bigger problem. This fight requires allot of patience and skill since the sorc will take huge amount of dmg. A sorc of this magnitude is a few steps faster then you (105 or even 200 fc), which will force you to play desync style or either be very fast with your locks. Since you will be having huge amount of stacked res + eventual abs if allowed, this fight will be a cat and rat game where the winner will be crowned as the most skilled player. Have patience and shift aggressive style with def desync movement and eventually you will win. If the sorc isn¡¦t equipped with block you will have a pretty easy kill in using exile + grief + draculs and charge/smite her down. If the duel tends to take forever, use meditation to reestablish full mana again.

Assassin:

WW assassin: **Difficulty: Easy **
Read her style. If she is aggressive just await her action and spam hammers when she appears to lock you. If other way around wait until you have an opportunity to lock her if the situation provides it. Shift between locks and desync near her presence to make her take action and disturb her movement/thinking. The WW assassin shouldn¡¦t pose any real threat to you with your high res, huge fhr and fast fc. Even here you can shift to smite to move her last life down (yes even with hoto)

Trapsin: **Difficulty: Easy-Medium **
A trapsin will most likely set up a couple of traps and wait for you to take action. She will stay guarded in the middle of her traps in hope for them to protect her. Use this to your advantage and lock her down if she is standing still. Even if you miss your lock spam 1 fast hammer and tele of of the trap area asap which will set the trapsin in movement. Continue to charge around her traps spaming loads of hammers and combine that with a few locks and she will 100% die or either teleport away to a new location which will open a door for you to lock her down on her way there. Easy kill if you know what you are doing.

Druid:

Melee Druid: **Difficulty: Very easy **
Use the same strategy as you did vs. Javazon (refer to tactic above) until the dudu has 1 life left which will make him transform into human appearance. He will within seconds¡¦ transform back into druid (wolf) shape again unless you kill him with 1 last hammer. If you don¡¦t kill him within these seconds you will be forced to hit him yet again with another hammer to start the scenario all over again. The best solution for this is just to shift for smite, (with hoto) teleport on top of him and finish him of with 2 fast smites and he is gone for good. No problems here.

Elemental Druid: **Difficulty: Hard-very hard **
This enemy is the only foe that poses a real treat to your survival due to several reasons. 1) This druid has 5 wolfs which means you can¡¦t lock him down unless you kill his wolfs first (all or some). 2) The druid can teleport away and recast his wolfs each time you have killed them which force you to hunt him (and that is not an easy task unless you are very skilled with locks). 3) A druid of this rate most likely has huge life (probably between 5,5-7 k life) which makes him a tank. 4) If the druid locks you at any occasion you will die unless he has really low FHR, but even then you are pretty much doomed. The conclusion to this is that you CAN NOT play offensive vs. a skilled druid. The best way here is to walk (yes walk) standing still and spam hammers. When you have a few hammers up, move your location so that the previous hammers will hit yourself (at your new location) and start spamming new hammers while these other hammers at the same time hit yourself where you are standing. Do this scenario over and over until the druid is forced to lock you which will result in 2 things: 1) he will die 2) he will at 100% rate lose most of his wolfs so that you can lock him down. If you don¡¦t get him with your locks remake the same procedure again. You can also charge/desync him so that he loses his wolfs. Whatever you do in this 1on1 duel the key here is to make the druid lose his wolfs, then, only the rate of your skill will set the boundaries for your success. This battle is in favour of the druid so you must be careful and play smart in order to win. This is the hardest and only enemy where you will be in disadvantage out of all the other characters you will encounter.
May 22 2006 09:12am
Barbarian:
Since the only vital barbarian used for pure duels is the WW-barb, I will only expose the strategy about that here.

WW-barb: **Difficulty: Medium-hard **
The barb will have huge life (6-7+k) so don’t be surprised if he takes 5+ hammers. The barb will at any rate play defensive vs. you so you will be the one directing the game. If you lock right on top of him he will probably WW sideways and hit you. You can still do this at start to make him move. If you are lucky you will hit him right after your lock. Anyhow be aggressive and apply the same strategy here as with Javazon/melee druid but keep in mind that WW on barbs work in a sligthly other way then those mentioned. The barb will in most cases desync slightly while WW and while WW is in motion it can’t be interrupted. You can never teleport on top of a barb that has already started a WW = you will get hit if his AR is high enough. You must, just as vs. bowas try to tele in front of his direction to make him taste your hammer. If you are low on life another strategy here is to tele beside him and spam a few hammers so that he is forced to keep on Wwing and then right after tele beside him again. Remaking this procedure again and again will eventually create a field of hammers that the barb will have a hard time to get out of (this is a very safe strategy and if you read the barbs movement you shouldn’t be worried about getting hit). If the barb is attempting to teleport away to a new area, chase him down fast and bring some nice locks on his head and it’s bye bye (same as vs trapsin). Some barbs will also use Bow as shift gear. When he does that (which he will when he is at distance) make a fast tele on top of him and hammer him down. This must be done real fast, and if you succeed the barb won’t have time to change back to WW gear. He will either die or take huge damage for sure.

Necromancer:

Poison nec: **Difficulty: Very easy-easy **
There is no specific strategy for this fight. With your high stacked res and fast fc you will lock down this poor guy in no time. His dmg will most likely don’t hurt you at all and if it does just change for wizzy + kiras + resi boots. If you lock right on him (make sure not to miss) his poison wave won’t even hit you. If you miss and get hit, just shift to “cleansing aura” to reduce the effect fast. Be aggressive in this fight and make sure to hit your locks and don’t miss and this fight will be over fast enough.

Bone nec: **Difficulty: Easy-medium **
The bone nec will just as barb in 9 cases of 10 play defensive in this fight, waiting for you to make a mistake. The difference between nec and barb is that the nec’s bone spirit is homing and he will try to launch you at longer distance. Just as with poison nec, try to be very aggressive here (assuming you can use oak) and don’t stop locking him. The best strategy is to bombing him with locks, if you happen to succeed just bring him down with 1-3 hammers. If you lock him and he manage to escape you will probably have loads of BS chasing you so it is vital that you have fast reactions and teleport out of there asap. Since the nec is about as fast as you (125 fc) and know what he’s doing this might take a while but you will go out as the winner in the end. No doubt. If you can’t use oak you cannot be as aggressive as mentioned above. Never stand still in 1 place since you will be hit by invisible BS. Just await the right opportunity to lock him down or play very defensive spamming charge hammers when the nec think he has the advantage and start chasing you.

Paladin:

Smiter: **Difficulty: Very easy-easy **
A smiter with right equip is a very deadly foe among all characters except vs. Hammerdin happy.gif. Hammer is the only character where smiter is totally without a chance. But don’t play like a noob just cause hammer has an advantage, or you will die fast. The smiter will try to change position by charging to make you become disordered in your strategy and follow up with smiting in the air. If he smites in the air and you will lock on him, you will either die or take huge amount of damage. The strategy to do here is to teleport as close to him as possible, but NOT on top of him (don’t lock him). By doing that you will automatically hit him so that he will die or at the rate of 100% force him to move his postition (either to attack you or charge away) which enables you to lock him down easily while charging to a new position. If he chooses to confront you while doing this instead of charge away you will probably take 1 hit (but that doesn’t matter), after doing that the smiter will think he has succeeded and continue his raid of smites. Use the following strategy to kill him: when he chase you after getting this hit, walk or desync in small fractions spamming 1 hammer each second just so he won’t reach you and he will die for sure. No more comments here. Piece of cake.

Hammerdin Vigor+charge (mirror match): **Difficulty: Normal-hard-very hard **
This fight is pretty much random and it’s just as much skill as luck due to the dmg of hammer. 3-4 hits and you are dead. The vigor/charge hammer will focus on defensive style only, which is, according to me both lame and shitty. However it's a difficult style to handle so you should take it seriously. If the hammer is approaching you on screen and going towards you, you must have in mind that the enemy dot on your map isen’t his actual location. You will have to anticipate his desyncs, but in this case if he is heading towards you just desync yourself away from him, spmaming hammers that will make him to either get hit or change his direction. By doing so you can close his new path by teleport a long bit ahead of him and launch a few hammers which will either hit (if you made a perfect anticipation of his location) or make him change direction again. Be very careful not to teleport to close to the enemy dot on the map or you will get hit yourself. It’s better to teleport to far away then to close. By training this way you have a great eye of measure the distance of how his desyncs work and the distance needed to take him down. This is all about practice so have patience and be extra careful in this fight since 1 mistake can result in your death. Another solid strategy here is to observe when he spam his hammers. The pattern he will use is spam 1-2 hammers, then he will desync again and remake the same procedure over and over. Just observe when he make his 1-2 hammers and then right after (when he starts to desync) make a fast lock on him and bring him down for good. This strategy is a safe 1 in most of the cases and if done right, his hammers won’t hit you.

DUEL SECTION: Open Duels (7on1)
The hammer is one of few chars that can take on a large amount of enemies ( if not the only 1). The benefit for being a hammer in this case is (as mentioned above) the 5 sec’s delay after launching the hammer and the fact they become invisible. If you have a party of 7 people vs. you they will maintain 2 strategies. 1) Either they will stay in-group and advance slowly together as a team to bring you down gradually. 2) They will try to chase you down randomly since they think they are superior and that there are no chances for you to win. Initiating strategy 1, assuming they have formed a group, you can use the following strategy: Avoid their attacks by always be in movement and when the right opportunity arrives teleport right into the group (if they don’t have a hammer spamming over them) and make 1 fast hammer and directly after teleport away to a safe spot. The hammer will hit at least someone of these people for sure and you will take very little dmg if none by doing so with your high fhr. This is also a great thing to do to make the group split into smaller fractions so you can bring them down 1 by 1. Initiating strategy 2 assuming they are chasing your randomly, the best bet is to def desync here. Let them chase you while you spam hammers all over the place and they will die sooner or later so that you can lock them down 1 by 1 as their number decrease. This is a very broad section and there are plenty to write about it. I won’t go any further in-depth here, so if there is any questions or wondering about this I suggest you ask instead.

**Any further comments on DUEL SECTION just ask**

CONCLUSION:
I think I have brought everything necessary in this guide for any pro dueler to become godly. The gear, items and strategy have all been included. Only the skill and training will set the boundary for your successes in these battles. This build is the best build you can possibly have as a hammerdin no matter what other people say or think. And compared to other persons writing hammer guides, I can back up this build with working results. This guide is a pure duel guide written by a pro dueler for pro duelers and there is no chance you will be disappointed in following this guide. I will bet all my accounts on that. If you ask me, hammerdin is one of the most solid characters ever in d2 with the ability to kill everything if played correctly. The effectiveness of fast locks combined with desync when the situation allows it makes this build totally overwhelming compared to other hammer builds (zaka builds etc). This build is also the only build where you have a gear that works vs. all characters by having huge DR, nice absorb (if you want) and still have 125 fc at all times.
If there is 1 negative thing to say about hammerdin, is that it might not be the ultimate character for clanwars where lots of rules are common, due to the fact that hammer needs to be in close combat when he locks. Against a CW with druids, trapsins and other chars this might be a bit of dilemma. With this said I don’t say that hammer is bad in CW (it all depends on how you play), but there are better caster-chars to choose for this purpose. In the end I hope you’ve have enjoyed my guide and that some ppl find it useful (which I know due to all requests and questions)

**IF THERE IS ANYTHING I’VE MISINTERPRETED OR FORGOTTEN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW**

This guide was written by Vic (RIP_TheJesus) stationed in EU SCNL realm
Banned
Gold: 45.78
Warn: 100%
May 22 2006 09:37am
nice guide vic smile.gif ur hammer owns happy.gif
May 22 2006 09:41am
thnx m8 : ) I'm sure i've forgot something, since i made this guide in roughly 1 hour. If so, or if there is any other concerns regarding this build please let me know. Cheers

This post was edited by --TheJesus-- on May 22 2006 09:42am
Banned
Gold: 45.78
Warn: 100%
May 22 2006 09:43am
oh there is one thing i would of thoght putting 1 point into holy shield and then other skill points into res light aura to boost ur max res be beter ?
May 22 2006 09:50am
Quote (f.i.s.h.e.r @ Mon, May 22 2006, 03:43pm)
oh there is one thing i would of thoght putting 1 point into holy shield and then other skill points into res light aura to boost ur max res be beter ?

that won't be necessary since you already have allot of stacked res. But yes if you want light res you can put 1 point there. But you can't have a hammer build with only 1 point into HS, since u get crap def and also need to invest more into dex for max block.
Gold: 0.50
Warn: 70%
May 22 2006 10:13am
No he means that after putting 1 point in holyshield but the rest points in light res for boosting the "max" light resistans.
May 22 2006 10:18am
Quote (faulk @ Mon, May 22 2006, 04:13pm)
No he means that after putting 1 point in holyshield but the rest points in light res for boosting the "max" light resistans.

YEah that's what I'm saying. He says "putting 1 point into holy shield " = means 1 point into holy shield and not more= very bad sollution. If you read the guide, i never said holy shield need "only" 1 point. YOu will need about -12+ into holy shield depending on level. So any other suggestion there is NOT recommended.
Gold: 710.00
May 22 2006 10:33am
Hmm, I still like my build but this is an excellent guide, grats!
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
12325Next
Closed New Topic New Poll