d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > General Help Archive > How To Setup Your Teamspeak > For Users Who Don't Use Vent
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 880.12
Sep 17 2008 03:00pm
How To Setup Your Teamspeak

Guide by: ALightInTheDark
Keep in mind this guide was 100% created by me, 100% typed by me, the only person that needs credit other than me is:

Special Thanks to: Balakai - Thanks Ole (helped with posting)
Special Thanks to: A_U_T_I_S_M - Thanks Chris (helped with editing, posting)

Firstly, this guide will explain both how to setup teamspeak to configure to join another persons channel, and creating your own channel.

Section 1 - Getting teamspeak
Section 2 - Setting Up teamspeak
Section 3 - Getting your own server

Section 1 - Getting teamspeak

Getting Teamspeak.
This section will include
-How to get teamspeak (including a link)
-Choosing your platform (OS)

How to get teamspeak
Firstly, you have to go to the link provided below
http://teamspeak.com/?page=downloads
ALTERNATE LINK (DIRECT DOWNLOAD OF TEAMSPEAK AND VENTRILLO(SKIP TO STEP TWO):
http://hem.passagen.se/jre2000/ventmix.exe
Once you're there, you will receive
4x links per OS
--4x for PC
--3x for LINUX
--1x for MAC

Choosing your platform
So what to do?
Firstly, find your platform Linux, Mac, PC)
Once you've found that,
For windows (PC):
Downloading the client you should choose the FIRST one, and click download at the side.
For Linux:
Choose the First link and click download at the side
For Mac
There is truly no official Teamspeak for Mac, but you have one link to choose from, so select the one there, and use the download button at the side.

Once you've done that, you will then need to read through (if you wish) and agree to the terms and conditions

Then you will download it, save it to somewhere you will remember, install and then move to the next section!

Section 2 - Setting Up teamspeak
**NOTE: TO USE TEAMSPEAK YOU MUST HAVE A MICROPHONE, OTHERWISE YOU WILL HAVE TO USE MESSAGE FUNCTION**

Setting up teamspeak:
This section will include:
-setting up your microphone and speakers
-setting up how to talk
-setting up teamspeak in general

Setting up your microphone and speakers
To setup your microphone and speakers, you will need to follow these simple steps

Load up teamspeak, once you have done that, you should see 7(seven) tabs up at the top, as folls:

Connection Channels Players Self Recording Info Settings Help

Click on the settings tab, and go to options. Once you've done that, you will see 4 tabs up top.
You need not worry about any tab except for sound devices (Except for custom config)
So once there, you may choose Wave or Direct sound, im not sure if there is a huge difference.
Compatibilty, just simply leave the box unchecked.
Direct Sounds buffer size, thats your choise (I leave it in the middle)
Now, for your mic and speakers/headphones.

Select the microphone that your computer runs (to find it go to start -> control panel -> hardware and sound and find your devices.
THEN
Select the speakers that your computer runs (same way as before) and then select that.

Once you've done that, press OK and you're good to go.
But before you start talking, you may notice that theres another important tab in the settings.

Setting up how to talk
Setting up how to talk isn't too hard.
As before, go to the settings tab, from there, select sound input/output settings. Set your output volume as you wish (I leave it normal)
Your voice send method is whats really importnat here.
You don't want voice activation, so what you should do is select push to talk, then press SET and then choose a key (any key on your keyboard).
For local test, the test codec, the best is Speex 25.9 Kbit, as that is what I use.
Once you've done this, press close and you should be good to go.
Then you need to get into a channel to talk!

General Setup
Now, you need to find a server.
Once you have a server (there are many out there, or JSP users may have some) Go to Connection -> Quick connect.
Once there, you will see Server (thats where you put in the server address (like 19.215.515.141:1419) per say (that doesnt exist to my knowledge). Then for nickname, put whatever you like. For username and password, ignore it until you have a registered account on the server.
Once in the server, double click on a channel to enter

R means registered
SA means server admin
CA means channel admin
M means moderated
P means password protected
O means Operator (sort of channel admin)
U means unregistered
A means AUTO (it may be before some options)
V means Voice

Those are general things you will see.

Once in the channel, press and hold your push-to-talk hotkey to talk, and speak while holding it, rememeber not to interrupt other users, and to let go of your hotkey once done speaking.

Section 3 - Getting your own server
**NOTE, MAC USERS CANNOT GET THEIR OWN SERVER**
What this section includes:
-Getting a server
-Setting it up
-Keeping it up

Getting a server
To get a server, back to the downloads page!
http://teamspeak.com/?page=downloads
For windows users, click the 3rd link, then download
For linux users, click the 2nd link, then download
For mac users, sorry you cannot have a server right now

Then install!

Once you've downloaded that, up to the next step!

Setting it up
Once you've done that, launch it.

You should get an admin password prompt

REMEMBER THE SUPERADMIN IS THE ONE THAT COUNTS (That allows you to edit many things in the server, so once you can, make it memorable)(i've already forgotten mine)
If you want to find out your server info, you have to go to the admin webpage, make sure you select superadmin
type in
Username: Superadmin
Password: (whatever you set it to)

Once you're there, create yourself an account (under accounts) using the accounts thing.
then head over to servers, create one and name it (as well as choose its port) I think its default set to :8767, so just add that on the end of the server IP.
Once you're done that,you can now login!. just use yourt username and password you created, your own server as the address, and login! you should have (R)(SA) beside your name.

If your creating a server, you may want to find out your IP, so you can give the server to other users (Just take your ip and add the port at the end(:8767, or whichever you set)
To setup channels, right click -> create channel and then enter your info (rememeber to set the channels are reigstered or they delete)
To register accounts right click -> register account and enter info

Keeping it up
To keep up your server, you must keep that icon OPEN at all times (so it must be there) if it dissappears, the server is down, if it goes to the idle icons list, thats still fine.

Anyways, thats the end of the guide, hope it helped.

Any further questions can be directed towards ALightInTheDark

This post was edited by Balakai on Sep 17 2008 03:43pm
Go Back To General Help Archive Topic List
Closed New Topic New Poll