d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > The Chaos Sanctuary Bowazon > Demon Bashing, Diablo Smashing
12312Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 431.00
Aug 28 2008 12:11pm
The Chaos Sanctuary Bowazon
by general_patton

General Idea (no pun intended)
Last ladder season I played a zerk barb for fun, one that utilized heavy amounts of enhanced damage to demons to destroy the chaos sanctuary. I decided to apply the same idea to an amazon.

Keep in mind that this guide is not set in stone, so adjust your stats and skills according to your personal preferences. I'm not claiming this guide to be the best, merely different from most cookie cutter windforce builds and fully capable of soloing the chaos sanctuary in 8 player hell mode.

Now on to the stats

Strength - Enough for gear.
Dex - The rest of your stats into here
Vit - None, unless youw ant a little extra survivability. You don't need to remake the zon if you sink a few points into here.
Energy - None

Skills

Skills are a personal preference. Some prefer Magic Arrow over Cold Arrow for physical immunes. Some prefer to max Guided Arrow to kill Diablo with. I will leave the decision to your own taste, this skill allocation is not set in stone.

Max
Penetrate - Adds Attack rating, enough said.

Cold Arrow - Converts a large percentage of physical damage to cold damage. The cold/physical immunes that you encounter can be dealt with accordingly, I just prefer the extra speed when killing swarms of physical immunes. As I said before, some prefer to max Magic Arrow.

Ice Arrow - synergy bonus, not necessary but adds some damage to Cold Arrow.

Guided Arrow - For the max damage builds, maxed guided arrow owns bosses.

5-10 points into Multishot

1 point into strafe - best attack in crowded hallways, strafe is a 1 point wonder.

Dump some points into the Dodge Skills

1 point into Valkyrie, they make for a decent tank and are useful when fighting Diablo.

1 point into Freezing Arrow, its a great crowd control skill in places such as the Cow Level.

1 point Pierce - stacked on top of Razortail, it equals over 100% pierce, and that is a great thing to have.

The Cold Arrow versus Magic Arrow debate
Maxing out one of these skills to kill physical immunes is essential on a PvM bowazon, because you will encounter physical immunes and you will have to kill them somehow. I have tried using an Atma's amulet, and I found that strafing until Amp Damage proc'd was inefficient at best because the mana bulb drained quite fast. Cold Arrow carries a moderately heavy mana cost, but that can be dealt with using mana pots or leeching monsters that are behind the physical immune one from pierce. Magic Arrow converts less physical damage into magic damage, but it also costs zero mana and no arrows. I prefer Cold Arrow, find what suits your preference.

Equipment
This is where things get weird

Armor - Artisans (Armor) of the Whale socketed with 40% ED, 15% IAS jewels. This armor is essential in reaching the 7 frame breakpoint. This build doesn't use Fort, it can't afford the loss in attack speed. If you want to use Fort, you will have to wear a Cats Eye (or Highlords) along with a Nos Coil, and that's just horrible. Pierce is a must have for PvM.

Helm - Artisans Diadem of the Whale socketed with 40% ED, 15% IAS jewels. Also needed to reach the 7 frame breakpoint.
Boots - Wartravelers - Adds damage, strength, a minor amount of vitality, some run/walk, and magic find. Great mods on a set of boots, you will need the strength.

Gloves - Laying of the Hands - 350% ED to demons is amazing for a demon basher build, and it also grants 20% IAS and fire resist.

Belt - Razortail - 10 to max damage, 15 dexterity, 33% pierce. The greatest PvM bowazon belt ever.

Ring 1- Ravenfrost, as perfect as you can get. Grants Cannot be Frozen, attack rating, dexterity, cold absorb, mana, and some cold damage.

Ring 2- A rare ring that must have dual leech, and preferably has attack rating, dex, life, resists, or other nice mods. A blood ring with mana leech would be ideal.

Amulet - There are some choices you could make here. I prefer Highlords for the added deadly strike, 1 to skills, light resist, and some extra IAS (not really needed in this build). You could use a Cats Eye for the run walk and dex, or a Seraphs for the enhanced damage to demons and the undead. If you can't find a nice rare ring, you could substitute the highlords for a Crescent Moon for the life and mana leech. Its your decision.

Weapon
Brand Superior Grand Matron Bow with a base of 3 to bow and crossbow skills -
4 Socket Missile Weapons
Jah + Lo + Mal + Gul
35% Chance To Cast Level
14 Amplify Damage When Struck
100% Chance To Cast Level 18 Bone Spear On Striking
+260-340% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Ignore Target's Defense
20% Bonus to Attack Rating
+280-330% Damage To Demons (varies)
20% Deadly Strike
Prevent Monster Heal
Knockback - Very useful in the Chaos Sanctuary, it keeps back the hordes of monsters as you fire volleys of arrows.
Fires Explosive Arrows or Bolts (15)

Up to 670% Damage to Demons on one weapon, this is my favorite choice for Chaos Bowazons.

Weapon Switch
Call to Arms is overrated. If you play the zon right, you shouldn't get hit. And when you do get hit, it has a really good chance of casting Amplify Damage, which is triples your damage. This is my choice for weapon switch

Weapon - Lawbringer Phaseblade- Yes, its the Lawbringer. Formerly the weapon of choice for act 3 mercs, this makes a great weapon switch. Why? Because it has Sanctuary (knocks back the oblivion knights when you just run the seal bosses). It also casts Decrepify, which when using the weapon switch can be very deadly against masses of monsters and bosses. It is a well known glitch that certain mods apply to arrows after the arrow is cast and the weapons are switched, such as curses and open wounds.

The strategy goes as follows, stand back a little ways from a mob of monsters and cast Strafe. When you are done with the strafe animation, you should have just enough time to switch weapons and proc Decrepify with the strafe. A 3 frame attack makes casting Decrepify all the more likely, and it majorly messes with Diablo. Decrepify doubles your damage, so its worth using a few frames to switch weapons. As a bonus, it slows down monsters as they come towards you.

Shield - This is personal preference. Some like stormshield, but that takes an ungodly amount of strength. Tankage is always nice on a weapon switch, so I would use either a Sanctuary Tower shield or a Headhunter's Glory troll nest with 3 um's slapped in it for a ton of resists. The zon is a glass cannon, it can maxblock with virtually anything.

Inventory
Inventories are fairly flexible. Run walk charms for more running speed, max damage charms for more damage, and 20/5's for more life and resistances. A perfect annihilus is always recommended, but a torch can drop games. Maxed fire resistance is always nice when killing Diablo, but Diablo can be outranged using a bow. This really epends on your playing style and budget. I recommend having 1 long duration poison charm to counteract monster life regeneration.

Mercenary
Act 1 Fire bow rogue mercenary
Weapon - Faith bow in either a hydra or diamond bow. You need the fanaticism to hit the 7 frame breakpoint, and extra damage and attack rating is always a plus.
Armor - Fortitude, increases Mercenary damage and resistances.
Helm - Andariel's Visage with a Fire damage/IAS/ max damage jewel. Nice life leech for merc survivability along with IAS.

Strategies

Take the River of Flame waypoint and follow the road across the River of Flame to the Chaos Sanctuary. The Chaos Sanctuary is in the same place every game, so finding it should be easy, assuming you have an IQ higher then 65.

Run through the Chaos Sanctuary, mowing everything down in your path. I always prefer to go turn right, go north, then go west to kill the seal monsters. When Diablo spawns, simply cast Valk/decoy to the other side of him. Cast Strafe and then weapon switch. If you do it right, Diablo is decrepified and that much easier to kill.

Have fun. Feel free to critique my guide.

Gold: 8,075.87
Aug 28 2008 12:27pm
actually sounds fun biggrin.gif

might give it a go sometime!
Gold: 44.90
Aug 28 2008 02:18pm
how fast when done in 8 player game?
Aug 28 2008 02:33pm
Quote (DoOmY @ Thu, Aug 28 2008, 02:18pm)
how fast when done in 8 player game?

4 minutes or so to clear the entire thing, starting from beginning of the Chaos Sanctuary (not counting the run there). Depends on whether or not I choose to cast decrepify proc on everything, or if I just run the seal bosses and let the Sanctuary aura keep me safe.

Edit: If I ever repost this, I will add a cheaper version that goes something like this

Substitute 120/45 helm for a Mav Helm with a 15 IAS jewel
Substitute 160/60 armor for Fortitude
Substitute Razortail for Nos Coil

The only thing I don't like about the cheaper version is that, although the damage is comparable, you don't get 100% pierce. The resists are a little higher with the base equipment, but you can't make up pierce in charms.

This post was edited by general_patton on Aug 28 2008 02:41pm
Aug 28 2008 05:31pm
Bump
Gold: 67.22
Aug 28 2008 05:48pm
hmm I think I`d go for an upped wildwitch string + atma`s if strafe,
otherwiseI`d go for the wf build with a2 merc and 89 ias cap

20 amu 20 gloves 20 bow, 2 iashelmet or 1 ioasweapen 1 ias helmet

shoes are wt`s aren`t they?

using nossi is not really on option on a bowie unless you use a buriza imho
100% pierce> all
even no cheap option because the razor drops more often than the nossi

I`d go for a might merc because he is the better bosskiller with hone/obedience+gulli+treachery he is one dream come true ^^

IM= wayne decoy+walk+off screen shooting

the ed versus demons is off weapon ed, and on the way to diablo,2/3- 3/4 of all monsters are undead

cannot be frozen is imho not really needed for a bowie because you don`t get close enough to them to be in hfreeze aura and otherwise you have slower missiles and kb to keep them at a distance

other rings might offer better stats than a raven
try bloodcrafting with a lvl 80-83 char wink.gif

I also think that you haver to much ias on your eq
strafe is capped at a 3 frame attack , the two frames is hypotheticcally possible but not effectively working in bnet and gmb multi with fana from mer conly needs a little more than 90 ias

This post was edited by Ancalagon on Aug 28 2008 05:52pm
Gold: 10,025.00
Aug 28 2008 06:17pm
Quote (Ancalagon @ Thu, Aug 28 2008, 11:48pm)

20 amu 20 gloves 20 bow, 2  iashelmet or 1 ioasweapen 1 ias helmet

100% pierce> all

I`d go for a might merc because he is the better bosskiller with hone/obedience+gulli+treachery he is one dream come true ^^

the ed versus demons is off weapon ed, and on the way to diablo,2/3- 3/4 of all monsters are undead

cannot be frozen is imho not really needed for a bowie because you don`t get close enough to them to be in hfreeze aura and otherwise you have slower missiles and kb to keep them at a distance

strafe is capped at a 3 frame attack , the two frames is hypotheticcally possible but not effectively working in bnet and gmb multi with fana from mer conly needs a little more than 90 ias

a gmb with faith merc will reach max strafe bp, but you need like 95-100 extra ias(depending on aura level) to reach guided / magic arrow / cold arrow bp

This post was edited by Blah58 on Aug 28 2008 06:17pm
Gold: 67.22
Aug 28 2008 06:31pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Fri, Aug 29 2008, 01:17am)
a gmb with faith merc will reach max strafe bp, but you need like 95-100 extra ias(depending on aura level) to reach guided / magic arrow / cold arrow bp

he already uses cats or highlords+loh=
40 ias

the armor is another 60

with lvl 15 fana you need 92 ias
with lvl 11 fana its 99 ias

Gold: 10,025.00
Aug 28 2008 06:32pm
Quote (Ancalagon @ Fri, Aug 29 2008, 12:31am)
he already uses cats or highlords+loh=
40 ias

the armor is another 60

with lvl 15 fana you need 92 ias
with lvl 11 fana its 99 ias

aka 95 and 100 because you cant get 92 and 99 biggrin.gif
Aug 28 2008 06:32pm
Quote (Ancalagon @ Thu, Aug 28 2008, 05:48pm)

20 amu 20 gloves 20 bow, 2  iashelmet or 1 ioasweapen 1 ias helmet

100% pierce> all

Yes the boots are Wartravelers. It looks like I didn't space the helm and boots in between the gear selection.

I use multishot or strafe (or cold arrow) depending on the situation. Hallways get strafed, mobs get multishot.

I'm fully aware that strafe can only reach a 3 frame breakpoint, however, the extra attack speed is from highlords and I only use that because of the extra deadly strike. Overall I hit about an 84% chance of double, which is fabulous. Actually, I have 20% more IAS then I need for regular arrows / multishot / guided, but it helps counter decrepify a little whenever it happens.

Cannot be frozen does not effect holy freeze aura, you get frozen regardless of whether or not you have cannot be frozen. I prefer the mods on a ravenfrost for situations such as when I am hit by an ice projectile, it also grants some nice attack rating, mana, and dexterity (always nice for damage).

You really don't need a "boss killer" merc as strafe combined with Decrepify with decent gear does a ton of damage to Diablo. I made an actual damage calculation using perfect gear (such as 3/20/20's) but my resists were horrible. As you can see, the bowazon does more than enough damage by itself to waste Diablo, much like the zerk barbs that I based the idea off mentioned previously in the guide.

Strafe

Chance of double damage (Critical and deadly) - 84.09%

Damage to demons 2084 - 10268
Everything Else 1370 - 6493

Demon decrepified 4168 - 20536

Everything else decrepified 2740 - 12986

Demon amped 6252 - 30804

Everything else amped 4110 - 19479

-----------------

Multishot

Chance of double damage (Critical and deadly) - 84.09%

Damage to demons 2036 - 10018