d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Guide To Making A Perfect Ut > By Ultimatetraderr
1236Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,982.00
Aug 17 2008 10:43am
Ultimatetraderr's Guide to making a Perfect UT
The aim of my guide is to have everyone doing UTs as good as I do.
When i started doing UTs i followed a couple of guides but found I had to work most things out for myself.
I decided to write this guide explaining EXACTLY what to do and I've added a couple of things of my own. Hope it helps.

Index
    1.List of terms
    2.Explanation
    3.What is needed to achieve a good UT
    4.How to set it up
    5.How to maintain
    6.Problems and how to deal with them
    7.Techniques used to make UT easier

List of Terms

These are terms commonly used in UTs. Most will be familiar if you have ever been in a UT:

UT: Ubertristram
Target: Character on which Mephisto’s monsters will spawn
Sidekick: Second Hammerdin which assists the target Hammerdin
TT: Target test - this is the method used to make sure the right character is the target without mass spawn
BW: Bonewall
LW: Last Bonewall cast before returning to town
RJ: Rejoin the game.
GG: Graphic glitches, mainly when the wall below the necromancer disappears. If you follow this guide exactly you will never have to deal with GG.

Explanation

What is Ubertristram?
Ubertristram is where the three Ubers are found (Baal, Mephisto and Diablo).
Upon killing all three, the last Uber will drop a torch.
The Ubertristram portal can only be opened in Act V Hell; it is activated by cubing an organ set (Baal’s eye, Mephisto’s brain and Diablo’s horn).

Where can I get organ sets?

Each organ can be found by cubing: 1 x hate key 1 x destruction key 1 x terror key (must be done in Act V Hell).
This opens a portal to a specific boss which will drop a corresponding organ upon death.
A good tip if you are key hunting yourself is to make sure you have three key sets and open all three portals in one game. This will prevent you from getting the same organ twice and speeds up the process of completing an organ set. wink.gif

What is Ubertristram EXP?

The Ubertristram EXP Run is where Baal and Diablo are killed and Mephisto is trapped and glitched to spawn his monsters on a specific character which subsequently kills them, thus giving the party in the game huge levels of EXP (10k/s on average).

What is needed to achieve a good UT

Simply put its two Hammerdins and a necromancer with Bonewall and a smiter for setting it up.

The necromancer only has to have a Lvl.1 Bonewall as it lasts the same length of time as a higher lvl Bonewall: 24 seconds.

The Hammerdins both need to be at least the typical Hammerdin build (hoto eni zaka shako).
I prefer to use a 125fcr Hammerdin for the target; this can be achieved by switching the Zaka for a Spirit 35 and one ring for a 10fcr ring.
Maxblock is essential for this Hammerdin as always and the 125fcr helps prevent any problems, making the target Hammerdin last much longer if a problem does occur.
One Hammerdin must have the skill Meditation on at all times during the UT.
Some guides say it’s good to use a Merc with insight but this is pointless. Mercs die and their meditation level is awful.

A simple Uber Smiter build will work well and many can be found right here on Jsp in the sticky guides.
I am working on making myself a cheap Smiter on ladder at the moment and I’ve heard they can do the job using very cheap items.

How to set it up

Many different people have different ways of setting up a UT and most of them work perfectly.
I’ve looked through other guides and found many to be quite vague in explanation so I’ve decided to go into EXTREME detail.
If you follow my guide word for word then you will not have a single problem in setting up your UT and it won’t take more than 10 minutes (depending on how fast your Smiter kills Baal and Diablo).

Firstly perm your game.
This is done by keeping a character in game for 5 minutes and prevents game loss if you drop. I usually do this with my necromancer as I have all my organ sets on him.

After your game is permed, bring in a Hammerdin and teleport along the GREEN path shown above on the map.
When you reach the end of the path, draw Mephisto to point 1 either by teleporting or just walking to prevent him from interfering when killing Diablo and Baal.
As soon as he is in this corner leave the game with your Hammerdin and rejoin with a Smiter.

Next simply kill Baal and Diablo with the Smiter, but be careful.
Diablo can drain your mana, so keep some mana potions close.

It’s time to trap Mephisto. If your Smiter can teleport, keep him in the game. Otherwise join with your Hammerdin.
After this, bring your secondary hammer in (your friend in most cases) and have him join the party in town and spam hammers at point 2.
He will be the target, so it will be easier for you to trap Mephisto.
Draw Mephisto along the RED path and teleport up into the house until he follows.
This can be quite tricky, but once you get the hang of it, it’s easy. Mephisto usually can’t get into the house unless he is straight down from it.
When he is trapped, teleport in a straight line back to the portal back to town.

While the target is still spamming hammers teleport around Tristram and kill any strays you can see, making sure not to get too close to the bottom of Meph’s house.
If Meph gets out just follow the last step to get him back in.

Now your UT is set up perfectly, bring the necromancer back in and make sure your target leaves the game and only rejoins when all your leechers are in the game.
Now bring your sidekick in and have him party the necromancer in Tristram. Get your necromancer to the yellow spot and bring your leechers in. Make sure ALL LEECHERS PP IN TRIST.
This is a safety precaution just to make sure the target system does not go wrong.
Once all the leechers are at the leecher spot (L) bring your target Hammerdin into the game and make sure he joins the party in town. Bring both hammers to point 2 and start hammering.

How to maintain

Make sure your target Hammerdin always joins the game last to ensure he is the target.
Once you have set up your UT, as I explained previously, you can now start. Get both hammers spamming next to each other.
Now it’s time for your target test, have the sidekick Hammerdin run towards Meph until a small number of monsters spawn on your target.
This test ensures that the Hammerdin is the target without getting a full blown spawn if the target is wrong.
If your Hammerdin is not the target, single out all the leechers to specify which one is and have him rejoin with the Hammerdin (pp leecher in trist and hammer in town).

Now have both Hammerdins spam hammers and have the necromancer cast Bonewall at point X so it fills the gap between the fire and the uppermost wall.
Bonewall’s radius glitches Meph’s monsters to spawn rapidly thus spawning on the target.
If the monster spawn is small, have your sidekick run towards Meph until the spawn is adequate. Here is a picture of good spawn: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/icantuseflash/Screenshot107.jpg
Every time your necromancer’s Bonewall runs out you must cast a new one in the same spot. Each Bonewall lasts 24 seconds.
After four walls, head to town with your necromancer and target hammer and have your sidekick clean any strays up before heading to town.
Once in town, wait there for 10 seconds.
Each message spoken in-game only lasts 10 seconds so with a simple message of ‘10’ you can see when 10 seconds has passed, as the message disappears.

Now get all three characters back into place and repeat the process.
Running to Mephisto should not be necessary anymore, but if your spawn is still poor then it might be a good idea.

Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat.
Continue with the last three steps for as long as you desire to carry on your UT.
With the 4/10 timing (4 Bonewalls/10 seconds in town) a leecher can easily level from 1-89 in an hour.

Problems and how to deal with them

Your target may feel the strain of dealing with all Mephisto’s spawn, so I recommend having some full rejuvenation potions in his belt.
If you run out of full rejuvenations and start to die while a Bonewall is still active, it’s best to run up above your necromancer and continue moving around until the Bonewall finishes.
Make sure you avoid the leechers and have your sidekick deal with the strays.

Another problem that may arise is your positioning.
It is advisable to have your Hammerdins a character’s width apart to minimise strays after your Bonewalls.
If your positioning is that awful then you may face damage issues on your target and he may die.
If your target does die, all of the remaining monsters from that Bonewall will spawn on the leechers.
THIS IS BAD. If your leechers are paying FG then they will not be happy about this, so make sure your target can handle the job.
In the case of your target dying, have the sidekick clean Tristram before entering and continuing.

Any player in the game dying causes huge lag issues and may make your game drop at a later time.
It’s therefore best to wait in town for at least 30 seconds before continuing to negate any lag issues caused by death.

Also if you see do see GG in a rare case follow the step above to negate its effect.

If your game drops then make sure all players rejoin with your Target last, have all of them join the party in Tristram and your Target in town.

Techniques used to make UT easier

There are some techniques that can be used to make your time during UT much easier.
Simple ones include, having your hotkeys set right and always having Holy Shield precast before entering into combat.

My favourite is the numpad trick. This will enable you to spam hammers without holding a single thing down! Set your second standstill shortcut to numpad 1.
This can be done by following these steps:

ESC > Options > Configure Controls > Standstill button 2 = numpad 1.

Do this by having numlock on and pressing 1 when selecting the button.

Make sure your game is in windowed mode. This can be done by editing your d2 shortcut by adding –w at the end of the target box. Picture here : http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/icantuseflash/d2properties.png
Now, when you want to spam hammers hold down numpad 1 and whilst doing this turn off numlock.
If done correctly, you should be able to hammer by just clicking anywhere on the screen, now hold down your left click and drag your mouse outside of the d2 window and let go.

Hey presto! You can now sit back and relax whilst your hammerdin hammers away.

FINISHED!

I hope this guide helps. It's the most up to date one on d2jsp at the moment.

If ANYONE has a problem with it or any questions feel free to pm me anytime and I'll always be happy to help.

Retired Moderator
Gold: 4.79
Trader: Trusted
Aug 17 2008 10:45am
I don't have the time to read it all, sadly sad.gif

Working at the present moment.

But it seems complete. If it's better than the one that is alredy stickied, sticky imo smile.gif
Aug 17 2008 10:47am
Quote (TheUndyingGod @ Sun, Aug 17 2008, 05:45pm)
I don't have the time to read it all, sadly sad.gif

Working at the present moment.

But it seems complete.  If it's better than the one that is alredy stickied, sticky imo smile.gif

I've had a look at the stickied one and found it wasn't in much detail. The mechanics of it were excellent but I found it a bit vague so I wrote my own smile.gif
Retired Moderator
Gold: 4.79
Trader: Trusted
Aug 17 2008 10:48am
Quote (ultimatetraderr @ Sun, 17 Aug 2008, 12:47)
I've had a look at the stickied one and found it wasn't in much detail. The mechanics of it were excellent but I found it a bit vague so I wrote my own smile.gif

Yep. You did really fine smile.gif

Good work buddy.
Gold: 185.75
Aug 17 2008 01:31pm
Why not trap the mercs in the house with the necro?

That way you can have defiance and meditation.

Not a huge boost, but its the only thing lacking in this guide.
Aug 17 2008 01:52pm
Quote (Zoola_McCoola @ Sun, Aug 17 2008, 08:31pm)
Why not trap the mercs in the house with the necro?

That way you can have defiance and meditation.

Not a huge boost, but its the only thing lacking in this guide.

Lacking? Its not needed at all

My guide maximises Wave sets allowed without the hastle of trapping mercs. Its just extra hastle you dont have to deal with

I don't ever have a single problem with my UTs so I don't need it
Gold: 7.20
Aug 17 2008 04:13pm
I've thrown an insight on my nec which also works quite nice and prefer csdin setups as hammers, dmg is high enough and no matter what potting is not needed.
The clearing area is just about that so whether it's 10sec or 1sec it shouldn't matter aslong as that area is clean for a moment, so going to leecher spot instead of town is good aswell (something like screen distance between)

However that's just about preference, besides that, great guide and love the numpad thing, didn't think about that before. I always shoved somthing in my keyboard to hold shift down and do the click, move outtof screen. Your way is alot nice especially when you run hammers and nec on the same comp tongue.gif
Gold: 132.50
Aug 17 2008 07:11pm
Excellent post. This will certainly assist in helping some of the newer gubers here.
Gold: 76.94
Aug 18 2008 02:08am
Nice guide smile.gif

Vouch that mercs are completely unnecessary

Any specific reason you bonewall only 4 times though?
Aug 18 2008 04:07am
Quote (The Wicked @ Sun, Aug 17 2008, 11:13pm)
I've thrown an insight on my nec which also works quite nice and prefer csdin setups as hammers, dmg is high enough and no matter what potting is not needed.
The clearing area is just about that so whether it's 10sec or 1sec it shouldn't matter aslong as that area is clean for a moment, so going to leecher spot instead of town is good aswell (something like screen distance between)

However that's just about preference, besides that, great guide and love the numpad thing, didn't think about that before. I always shoved somthing in my keyboard to hold shift down and do the click, move outtof screen. Your way is alot nice especially when you run hammers and nec on the same comp tongue.gif

Thanks alot!

Before my Hammerdin leveled up and I could put a skill point into meditation I used insight on my necro aswell. As for running to leecher spot, I still find it easier to town to use malah as a poison heal smile.gif

Many other people may have their own preferences like you said and there is nothing wrong with that at all. I just find they way I do UTs to work perfectly but it can be varied quite a lot in terms of auras etc.

Quote (Insomniac Guy @ Mon, Aug 18 2008, 09:08am)
Nice guide smile.gif

Vouch that mercs are completely unnecessary

Any specific reason you bonewall only 4 times though?

I found that 4/10 is the best combination. With 5 walls sometimes I get GG and my game might drop but I've never had a problem with 4 at all.

This post was edited by ultimatetraderr on Aug 18 2008 04:08am
Go Back To Diablo 2 Discussion Topic List
1236Next
Closed New Topic New Poll