d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > ~> Cummulative Caster Comparison <~ > Which Is Right For You?
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.03
Jul 16 2008 09:20am
Caster Comparison!

Which one fits you?

There is a lot of reading to be done here, you might as well enjoy a fantastic song. thumbsup.gif

Table of Contents
  • 1. Introduction
  • 2. The Characters
  • 3. The Charms
  • 4. The Weapons
  • 5. The Armors
  • 6. The Comparison
  • 7. Tips While Casting
  • 8. My personal Opinion
  • 9. FAQS

{Disclaimer} This post will only explain,
and highlight on the feeder class (aside from the guardian)
characters. By the time you've unlocked a secret character,
you will have a well established view of what you do, and do
not like.

This is not a guide, for building characters, though, the build for any caster, is infinately simple. All Intelligence on softcore, will probally do you right. A magician could do well with 10 vitality.

Hardcore characters should invest more points into vitality!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Introduction

Alright, so you've ventured into the realm of ladder slasher,
and you are at the main page. You've picked a name, and you
are presented with a list of character choices. Which should
you pick, and why? Well, the descision should be thought over
carefully, as a lot of time can go into a ladder slasher character,
and even more forum gold, so you need to be sure when you
make it!

The Characters

Barbarian

Stats
  • Strength [60]
  • Dexterity [25]
  • Intelligence [5]
  • Vitality [60]

One of the worst statted characters for casting, in my opinion.
However, they have some very good uses!

Rouge

Stats
  • Strength [30]
  • Dexterity [60]
  • Intelligence [25]
  • Vitality [35]

One of the better statted characters for casting, in my opinion.
However, they are reputed to be one of the strongest.

Magician

Stats
  • Strength [20]
  • Dexterity [50]
  • Intelligence [60]
  • Vitality [20]

The best statted character for casting, in my opinion.
However, they have some very good uses!

Fighter

Stats
  • Strength [50]
  • Dexterity [40]
  • Intelligence [10]
  • Vitality [50]

One of the worst statted characters for casting, in my opinion.
However, it has slightly better intelligence, and mana than a barbarian!

The Charms

I will breakdown the various charm types, and help you understand the
combat, and market value of each charm. I will attempt to give you a
general idea, of what to expect!

Bare in mind, before you make a choice, that any charm can, and will
perform for you. The main reason you should pick a charm, is preference.

Ice

This is the general charm preference, it offers -the- most cosistant
damage of any other. Ice is a good charm to use, for any player
you will always know for the most, what you will hit.

Earth

This is a well preffered charm, and the second most cosistant of the
charms. You will find earth slightly less consistant in damage, but it
is still quite cosistant. This charm is another good choice for a new
caster.

Fire

This is the middle of the charms, it has a wider spread than both fire,
and earth. The max damage will be higher, but the lower hits will dip
below both the earth and ice. This charm is better for a more
experienced player.

Wind

This is one of the most critical reliant charms, the damage can be impressive
But you will not always hit a high number, and you may often find yourself
in a hitting rut. This charm is good for an experienced player, or one with a
little less forum gold to spend, as it currently holds a less impressive market
price than the above.

Lightning

This is the most critical reliant charm. It has the highest damage of any charm
If you like the high end hits, and don't mind the lower hits you will occationally hit, this charm type could be for you. Just keep in mind, the damage can be erratic.

Heal Charms

Heal charms are completely different from attack charms. These will restore your hp, at the cost of your mana points. These chars will keep your caster alive, and your mana pool will be able to bolster your hp. You can consider
Mana as more hp, but be careful, your mana serves as your weapon as well.
You can keep a heal charm, in your acc. slot, to help you with well monsters,
and regular monsters.

Focused Heal

This is the preffered choice, for heal charms. It works similar to ice, except, it restores your hp. It will heal you you for around the same amount each time.

Heal

This is a nice choice for heal charms. It works similar to fire, except, it restores your hp. It will heal you you for nearly the same each time, however it will, heal you for a lower ammount, and a higher ammount. It has a fairly erratic heal span.

Wild Heal

This is generally the most avoided heal charm, as the heal ratio is so very wild. However, this charm can give you the most out of your mana, it can also give you the least. Every time you use it, you're gambling. I would reccomend this charm, only to experts.

The Weapons

Axes This is one of the two, least preffered weapon types for a caster. The main reason this is not preffered, is that the classes that can use this, are very spread out, and most of them are feeder (beginner) class. Remember when buying/selling a caster axe, that it isn't a preffered type.
  • Rogue
  • Barbarian
  • Fighter

Clubs This is one of the two, least preffered weapon types for a caster. The main reason this is not preffered, is that the classes that can use this, are very spread out, and most of them are feeder (beginner) class. However, there are more feeder classes that can use this type.
  • Rogue
  • Barbarian
  • Fighter

Staffs This is a pretty well preffered weapon type. Staffs can be used by two feeder class characters, but it is one of the two weapon types that the magician can use, and the only weapon that a warlock can use.
  • Rogue
  • Magician

Daggers This is a well preffered weapon type for a caster. A good intelligence dagger can take you through several classes. In my opinion, it is the best weapon choice, for most casters.
  • Rogue
  • Magician

Swords This is a well preffered weapon type for a caster. A good intelligence sword can take you through several classes.
  • Rogue
  • Fighter
  • Barbarian

The Armors

Light Armors

(Padded Robes, Robes)

Advantages
  • Any Character can use, aside from a guardian.
  • These are the preffered caster armor.

Disadvantages
  • They have the least ammount of defense, of any armor type.

(Leather Armor, Scale Armor)

Advantages
  • They have slightly higher defense than robes.

Disadvantages
  • They cannot be worn my many characters.
  • They are not as sought after, as robes.

Heavy Armors

(Platemail Armor, Chainmail Armor)

Advantages
  • They have the highest ammount of defense.

Disadvantages
  • They cannot be worn my many characters.
  • They are not as sought after, as robes.

The Comparison

Here is where I would really like to lay the words down. This will be my comparison of the casting capabilities of each class. Highlighting on the benefits and downfalls, of each class. I have played each one, that I will be talking about, and I have a personal preference for magicians.

Magician

Stats
  • Strength [20]
  • Dexterity [50]
  • Intelligence [60]
  • Vitality [20]

40 Life Points
120 Mana Points

(160 starting, combined / life mana.)

A magician is the bone in, bone out casting champion, in my opinion
They start out with 120 mana points, and the largest ammount of intelligence.

Benefits
  • The largest mana pool
  • The highest starting intelligence
  • The highest damage attainable, due to the 60 intelligence, you start with

Disadvantages
  • The least ammount of life of any starting character
  • The least ammount of defense
  • The smallest ammount of useable gear, of any feeder (aside from guardian)

The main reason I would prefer a magician, to another caster type, is simply they have more mana. (2450 more, than the next in line, rogue caster). People will bring up often, that a rogue caster has more life, than a magician caster. But, with a decent heal charm, the extra mana points will more than make up for this. Also, with the first 10 points of a magician, into vitality, a rogue will have a mere 350 more life than a magician, and 1750 mana points less. Magicians also have a 25-35% more effective cast, than the next in line (rogue) caster. Simply because of the more intelligence. All in all, a magician, in my opinion outstripes any other caster type (offensive) by such a dramatic ammount, that it is funny to hear it even argued. But, all casters have their advantages, and I will not let my personal opinion blind me to these.

Rogue

Stats
  • Strength [30]
  • Dexterity [60]
  • Intelligence [25]
  • Vitality [35]

70 Life Points
50 Mana Points

(120, combined starting life/mana)

A rogue is a very versatile character. They can use any weapon type, and light, and medium armors. Their stats, are nicely spread, to make them very viable to a melee, or caster build.

Benefits
  • The largest ammount of gear choices, and one of the cheapest characters to build.
  • They have slightly more life than a magician

Disadvantages
  • They have less mana than a magician
  • They have less life, and defense than a heavy caster
  • They have less intelligence than a magician, this adds a permanent
    25-35% damage nerf, to your charms.(compared to a magician)

Now, a rogue is a diehard favorite, for a few people. Some of the best casters around, have went rogue. Arguably the best non-magician caster, and it even contests with the magician, for the best of the best all around. However, for all the strengths the rogue throws on the table, there are flaws as well. For a caster, mana is life, and attack. You can heal yourself in the middle of a battle, to restore your hitpoints, and you can cast to take your enemys. But, the second you run out of mana, your mighty control of the arcane forces, ceases. Rogues will run out of mana much faster than a Magician, but, they can wear heavier armors, strike more damage (with base stats) with a melee weapon, have higher base dex (to resist criticals), and can use every weapon. This makes it impossibly easy to find a weapon to use. I feel like a rogue caster is a good choice for someone looking to build a very cheap character, to give the game a try. Once you've decided you like it however, I suggest a magician.

Fighter

Stats
  • Strength [50]
  • Dexterity [40]
  • Intelligence [10]
  • Vitality [50]

100 Life Points
20 Mana Points

(120, combined starting life/mana)

A fighter caster, is a under used resource, in my opinion. It is a beastly character, if built right. However, the stats that a fighter starts with, definately handicaps it's ability to truly shine, so you need rely on the best gear, to even come onto the battleground competively, amidst rogues, and magicians.

Benefits
  • Can use heavy armors.
  • They have more life than magicians, and rogues.
  • They have more defense than rogues, and magicians.
  • They have more ability to melee enemys, without statting str/dex.

Disadvantages
  • They have less mana than a magician, or a rogue.
  • They have signifigantly reduced charm damage
    45-55% damage nerf, to your charms. (compared to a magician)

Now the fighter caster, rocks out loud, in the right situation. It was my favorite build, aside from the magician. I ran out of mana, quite quickly, but, I rarely took damage. This character's best use, should be in hardcore, but softcore can make great use of it as well. You will find yourself taking precious little damage, with any decent heavy armor, as casters will be fighting against your buffed intelligence, and melee monsters, will be tinking away on that might platemail armor. In my honest opinion, anyone building a heavy caster, that doesn't use heavy armor, is completely wasting their time. If you can use heavy armor, you should use it, expecially given the recent updates in difficulty.

Barbarian

Stats
  • Strength [60]
  • Dexterity [25]
  • Intelligence [5]
  • Vitality [60]

120 Life Points
10 Mana Points

(130, combined starting life/mana)

The barbarian caster is very similar to a fighter caster. They can use the same gear, and have similar stats. However, a barbarian differs slightly, in life/mana/defense.

Benefits
  • Can use heavy armors.
  • They have more life than magicians, and rogues.
  • They have more defense than rogues, magicians, fighters.
  • They have more ability to melee enemys, without statting str/dex.

Disadvantages
  • They have less mana than a magician, rogue, fighter.
  • They have signifigantly reduced charm damage
    50-60% damage nerf, to your charms. (compared to a magician)

Now, compared to a fighter caster, a barbarian trades a straight 350 mana, for 350 life, and 5% more defense. The same statements, as I made for a fighter, apply to a barbarian, except that you get 2 (and some change) less Tier 14 casts, than a fighter. In exchange, you get more hp, and more defense. This character is a good choice, for a hardcore caster.

Tips while Casting
  • Buy a heal charm, and a good one! I consider my healcharm, as important as my killing charm. Mana is an extension, of a good casters life. The key to welling with a lower life character build (magicians, rogues mostly) is healing.
  • Familiarize yourself with your hotkeys. This very simple memorization will save you infinite ammounts of times! (-a- will switch to your acc. slot (heal charm generally) ||| -e- will switch to your main charm (kill charm generally) ||| -q- will switch to your weapon.)
  • Try to keep your life above half, if you get hit critically, you will have reaction time, if you keep your life above half. The more reaction time you have, the less chance you have of getting two-pieced.)
  • Catacombs are the magicians playground. But remember, those mobs are strong it is best to hide behind a heavy caster, or fighter, if you're wearing a robe. If you aren't in the front lines, pay attention to your tanks life. Be kind, heal them, keep them above half. Treat their life bar, like yours.
  • Thanks to the recent shrine update, you should pick EVERYTHING up. 20% of your mana, when you have 7,000 is quite a bit. thumbsup.gif

My Personal Opinion

My personal opinion, is short and sweet. As far as softcore gos, there is but one simple choice, and that is magician. Charm wise, I have no -real- preference, any high EE charm is fun to use, but lightning has been selected more often thumbsup.gif for me.

All the main arguments, people have for their favorite character type
1."xxxx caster has more life"
2."xxxx caster has more defense"
3."xxxx caster can use more gear"

I have my answers for these three main points:

1. You can't cast with life. As long as you have mana, you have life. (assuming you've a heal charm.) But, if you run out of mana, you're f***ed on both grounds. So what is the honest point of dealing less damage, and having less mana, as a caster?!

2. The other casters, with more defense, have less damage. That means you are in battle longer, therefore you take more damage. Simple solution, kill faster. Best way to do that, use a magician.

3. The magician caster can use a robe (preffered armor type) and dagger (preffered feeder weapon). The secret characters, can all use robes. And quite a few can use daggers. (More than can be said for axes, clubs.) And swords, can only be used by 1 character, that a dagger cannot be (After feeder)

After all, if you were at war, and you had to fight an m1 abrhams tank. Would you go in with a pistol (heavy caster) rifle (rogue caster) RPG (magician)

I think the answer is simple. bier.gif

FAQS

Q: I've made my caster character, what should I put the first 10 points into?
A: Generally, intelligence (Softcore!!!) unless you play hardcore. Then it is wise to invest 10-20 into vitality, as a rogue/magician. If you are a fighter, or barbarian, vest the first 10 into intelligence for sure.

Q: What sort of gear should I buy?
A: Intelligence is the primary mod to look for, on a caster weapon, and armor. There are many other mods to look for, but most notably, intelligence.

More FAQS to be added, during any updates. If I update. biggrin.gif
Gold: 0.34
Jul 16 2008 09:21am
wow great work, great song, very informative/useful
Gold: 48,007.00
Jul 16 2008 09:24am
probably the best organised guide i've seen, very easy to read, great job

Edit: and great song choice

This post was edited by doginal on Jul 16 2008 09:25am
Retired Moderator
Gold: 5,010.77
Trader: Trusted
Jul 16 2008 09:30am
I read all of it, not that long. I like your points about the magician that I have been trying to tell myself. More mana - more chances to heal myself even though I have less life.

I have robes, daggers, and mostly lite charms.

I'm sure this will help lots of people. ISO STICKY!
Gold: 35,576.00
Jul 16 2008 09:32am
great job mate hug.gif
Gold: 117.85
Jul 16 2008 10:26am
Other than a few spelling, gramatical, and logic choices, it is a solid guide. I would go over it once again and fix a few oddities like having a fire charm less consistent than a fire charm tongue.gif could be slightly confusing to the newer users playing and reading this.

Nice to see some caster love, without an orientation towards specific preferences of the user.
Gold: 22.50
Jul 16 2008 10:34am
n2b Byron wink.gif
Gold: 0.03
Jul 16 2008 10:34am
I caught a few errors after scanning through. I am pretty tired at the moment, so I will wait to check myself till I catch a few Z's.

I will repost it later, with the updates, and corrections that I find.

And casting is just great. You can cast from feeder, to reset. The only thing you'd need to change is your intelligence weapon.

wub.gif
Gold: 2,317.00
Jul 16 2008 10:37am
really nice guide mate

+ awesome idea adding a song has been a pleasure read your work biggrin.gif
Gold: 24,185.00
Jul 16 2008 10:42am
not gonna read it... too huge for anyone to do...
Go Back To Ladder Slasher Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll