d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > Guide For Beginning Casters > Approved By Nara
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,496.66
Jun 11 2008 01:14pm
Hello and welcome to my caster guide for beginners.

Starting off; choosing the character you wish to play as a caster (just the feeder characters).

Magician - [ Strength-20 | Dexterity-50 | Intelligence-60 | Vitality-20 ] -- Staff, Dagger, Robe only.
Making a Magician as a caster is great, his intelligence is high, i would suggest putting all 10 starter points into vitality, and the rest into intelligence. Yet, there are a few downsides to a Magician caster, the vitality starting points is low, and they can only use limited gear, but most caster gear is easy to find and cheap on the MP at lower levels, and a lot of people trade decent to amazing caster gear in the trading sub-forum in LS.

Rogue - [ Strength-30 | Dexterity-60 | Intelligence-25 | Vitality-35 ] -- All Weapon Types, Robes, Leather Armors, Scale Armors.
Making a Rogue as a caster is great as well, their intelligence is slightly low, but their vitality and dexterity can make up for it at times. Put the first 10 points into vitality once again, and use melee gear, gear consisting of dexterity, and strength, with life per kill, or life per attack points as well, these can greatly help level up fast. Use melee gear, like the ones just stated until about 20-25. Leveling from 1-20 or 25 you should continue putting all points into intelligence, nothing else. Once level 20 or 25ish, whenever you switch, change all your gear to caster gear, mainly focusing on intelligence, but mana mods/life mods are always helpful.

Here is my character, to provide more help for you:

The black stat is the one of mine at level 20(keep in mind, i had the best caster gear i can afford on), the Red stat next to it, is what your goal should be.

Stats of the items i use at level 15-25:

Angelic bronze sword
Damage: 3 to 37
+1 Dexterity
+15 Intelligence
+1 to 2 Life per Attack
+1 to 4 Mana per Attack

Mystical silk robe
Level Req: 15
Defense: 0 to 8
+21 Intelligence
+56 Max Mana
+1% Critical Flux

Angelic lightning VI
Level Req: 15
Spell Damage: 17 to 178
Mana Cost: 55
+71% Enhanced Effect
+77 Max Life
+1% Critical Flux
+2% Physical Damage Reduction

Helpful tips:

Gearing a caster
Casters consist of having high EE on their charms to conflict mass damage onto the opponent. With armor and weapons, you should get the most intelligence on them possible, this helps your mana, as well as critical hits, more damage, and more mana gained per level.
If using the rogue, you should use Melee gear until somewhere into the twenties (dex gear, with the weapon having high ee) - and then switch to caster gear around the twenties.

Statting the caster
The first ten points, no matter what character you choose, it would be best if you put all 10 into vitality, and the rest into intelligence. If you think that you are rich, or are more experienced with casters, you can stat them fully intelligence, or any other strategy of statting them works.

Helpful Terms:

Intelligence:
- Adds to Max Magic at level up
- Increases offensive damage of spells (charms)
- Increases defensive vs. spells cast at you (hidden value, not shown)
- Items that give +Intelligence do not increase your Magic Points!

Life/Magic per Attack:
- Items can grant a + to Life and/or Magic per round. These items will heal you per combat round.
- The effectiveness of the heal is random 1 to your value, modified by the relative strength of the monster your are fighting.
- If you fight monsters of a lesser level than yourself, this heal factor is greatly deteriorated.

Mind Numb:
- This mod gives you a % chance for your spells to ignore the enemies intelligence. It's sorta like a critical strike. If the monster had low int, the effect will obviously be less, but it will have high effect vs. high intelligence opponents.
- The only way to get this is through items, your base stats will not give you any chance for this, so it differs from a critical strike in that regard.

Physical Damage Reduction
- Reduces all physical damage done to you by the % listed.

Mana Syphon
- Will give you a % chance (as listed) to absorb some of the mana used by a monster when they cast an offensive spell against you.

Advantages and Disadvantages:
- Slow leveling at lower levels, (where the rogue beginner eliminates this).
- Fast leveling at high levels.
- Usually the melee damage is really bad, unless you have high EE and high Intelligence weapon. smile.gif

Hope this guide helps out some of you beginning casters!

This post was edited by Epiphany on Jun 11 2008 01:18pm
Gold: 0.75
Jun 11 2008 01:16pm
Do you really use those items for 15-50?

Very nice guide.

Uh, 15-25 i understand. tongue.gif

This post was edited by M4nze on Jun 11 2008 01:29pm
Gold: 7,197.77
Warn: 10%
Jun 11 2008 01:16pm
thanks for your work, much appreciated smile.gif

will add this to the collection heart2.gif
Gold: 9,496.66
Jun 11 2008 01:18pm
Quote (M4nze @ Wed, Jun 11 2008, 03:16pm)
Do you really use those items for 15-50?

Very nice guide.

To answer that, i fixed the post lol.
I meant 25, and yes, i use it from 15-25 happy.gif
Gold: 509.01
Jun 11 2008 01:28pm
Nice Guide. Good thought on early casters.
Gold: 205.47
Jun 11 2008 01:31pm
first.... change the Rogue part about needing first ten point into vital....... thats wrong. should be first ten point into intel. or All points into intel.

rogues never run out of life before mana.... so why waste the first ten?

other then that nice guide.

This post was edited by Dam_n on Jun 11 2008 01:33pm
Gold: 117.85
Jun 11 2008 01:36pm
Magicians, in my opinion do far better at lower levels with max life/ max mana gear. Intelligence isnt as needed due to the charms if you're twinked having a high mana cost (tier III at low level) and still great damage.

I have a 38 intelligence tier 1 staff from early seasons that i usually replace for a 400 max mana 200 max life staff due to the ability to kill about 8 more mobs at the cost of lower int.

Just my observations of playing over 30 climbs as a caster now.
Gold: 26,378.33
Jun 11 2008 01:40pm
all consideration on lower levels should be reconsidered for the multiplayer add
now just go on multiplayer for lvl 1-30 and get some heal and the party is happy
brutally my opinion ofc
Gold: 1.84
Jun 14 2008 04:51am
Nice guide... it has been difficult leveling for me at the beginning because of
low life... but i've seen some people with nice + life items and now that I got
+ life/life regen/mana regen I can usually MCC about 26 in a row... lovely guide
though... ty!
Gold: 184.02
Warn: 10%
Jun 14 2008 04:58am
Quote (Dam_n @ Thu, Jun 12 2008, 05:31am)
first.... change the Rogue part about needing first ten point into vital....... thats wrong. should be first ten point into intel. or All points into intel.

rogues never run out of life before mana.... so why waste the first ten?

other then that nice guide.

Nope.

Not wrong, Should be 10 vita OR 10 int, Depends on your gear/purpose of the char.

Quote (beni @ Sat, Jun 14 2008, 08:59pm)
Total Kills: 1,314

Thanks for sharing tips from your huge experience with casters.

LOL.

BTW, Casting at level 15 is silly on a rogue, you're mana will be tiny and you have little to no mpk/mpa.

This post was edited by squiggle on Jun 14 2008 05:02am
Go Back To Ladder Slasher Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll