d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > Pvp Ranger(bow Pal) Guide( > Hello~^^*
1237Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.20
Jun 17 2004 11:53pm
unsure.gif INTRODUCTION

Hi all! This is the thirdguide I've writen here, and it will cover the "ranger". As some of you know, a ranger is a paladin is a paladin who relies on his bow to defeat enemies. This character makes uses of fanatcism, holy freeze, and other such auras and if you so choose, foh.
This guide is aimed for those who are bored of their cookie cutter pvp characters such as the ww barb,blizz sorc,vindicator, templar,v/t,
etc.

WHAT AURAS TO USE?
Since our bows rely on Enhanced damage and speed, I chose to use Fanatcism and NOT concentration
Why not conc?Simply because we lose far too much ias and AR
Because we do not have itd like smite, we rely on high ar to smack our opponents around

Stat Allocation
Like all pvp chars I suggest
STR:Minimum, I went at about 80 Str so I could comfortably Equip my guardian angel without fear of popping
Dex:Ive heard of certain paladins going over 300, but i chose a comfortable 200 for blocking and dmg/ar
Vit:everything else, hopefully you will be able to achieve 300~400 here
energy:sleep.gif

SKILL ALLOCATION
There are several ways to allocate skill points for a ranger, but the way I chose for mine was
Combat Skills Tree
1 into Charge, Holy bolt,Blessed hammer, Holy shield(Charge for movement)
Offensive Auras Tree
This is the heart of a Ranger paladin
If you choose to be a Foh Hybrid, I suggest 10 or more points into conviction and skimping on holy freeze(or just skipping holy freeze if its not allowed)

Blessed Aim (1+ points): While seemingly useless, it adds a 5% Ar for every point u sink into it.I would suggest pumping this until you have 10k+ar

Concentration (1 point):No good for us, we dont swing hammers

Fanaticism (20 points): The main aura of the ranger, VERY IMPORTANT, max as soon as possible, adds ed/ar/AND IAS

Holy Freeze (1~or more point(s)): This aura is not necessary to have, but I find it very handy to use in combination with charge, or when running away

Defensive Auras
Defensive Auras:

Prayer (1 point): Prerequisite for vigor, meditation, and redemption.

Defiance (1 point): Prerequisite for vigor and redemption.

Cleansing (1 point): Prerequisite for vigor, meditation, and redemption.

Vigor (20 points): This is a VERY nice skill for running, since i detest the use of enigma on my ranger.I maxed it for the stamina and speed

Meditation(sp?1~ point): This is good for those who want to make a foh hybrid

My Skill layout laugh.gif
20 Fanatcism
20 Blessed Aim
20 Vigor
1 Holy Freeze
Saving the rest up while testing*****May put the rest into DEFENSIVE AURAS for the secret %max res boost blink.gif

Possible Skill layout for the Templar/Ranger Hybrid
20 Fanatcism
10~Or less blessed aim
15 Holy shock
20 Foh
15 or less to achieve lvl 25 Conviction
Rest into blessed aim/Holy Shock/Etc

Gear
There are many choices of Gear, Especially WEAPONS for the ranger
Aim for these on your items
Resists
Speed of all types
Knockback<==if its not bm
Crushing Blow
Open Wounds/Poison
Cold duration or hit freezes target
Ignores Target Defense
Attack Rating
Enhanced Damage/elemental damage
Deadly Strike
And anything else you see fit to help you.

Top pick of weapons
*1:EagleHorn:Why?It has an INSANE +ar bonus not to mention Fine damage<===needs 52 ias
*2:Wf:Its not a bad bow, its just that the knockback Really turns me off =(<===Needs 32 Ias
*3Widowmaker:Guided Arrow, Um it for Open wounds against those u cannot hit^_^;;<==Requires 34 ias for 9 frame shooting
*4:Not yet tested, but a BoTD Bow:I cant afford this, but since it has ias, no need for more rom your gear<==No ias needed
*5:For those old timers, Buriza:Cute little thing =) no ias needed

Weapon Switch
*1:Cta+Lidless(this Set up will give u ALOT more life, however, it wont work very well for those Foh/Bow Hybrids)
*2:Hand Of Blessed Light(or a nice scepter, foh sword)+Herald Of Zak/Storm(Offers powerful Foh, Dr/Def, Skills and res)
*3:I dont care much for anything aside from a Foh dmg side or a Cta Buff ~_~

Armor
Against Casters:Guardian Angel With an Um is probably Top Choice

Against Non Casters:Shafstop or a 4 Socket+life armor Are my Top Picks(socket with ed/ias ,ias/ar, or whatever u feel short of)

Gloves:Draculs If Lifetap isnt Bm is VERY Nice
:Death Set Glove(+the belt combo gives u ias,res,life leech, CBF)
:BLOODFIST!(an old time classic that has merely gotten better cuz of lack of life leech)

Belts::tgods against Trappers and Fohdins
:Death Set belt(Read above combo)
:Verdungos hearty Cord(+vit,FHR, AND % DR!!!, a top choice)
: Always nos coil for those who like slow -__-

Amulet:Maras Kaleidoscope for those who like Foh
:Highlords wrath, has +1 skill, lit res, ias, DEADLY STRIKE
:metal grid, nice res , +def , and +ALOT of ar
:Angelic set ammy
Rings:Angelic Set ring
:raven frost
:Bk ring/Soj for +skills

Boots!! tongue.gif :Gore Riders, My personal Favorite, NOTHING better for this build, and its cheap
:Water Walks for +life/Dex/Looks/+5%Max fire res
:~ ~ Sandstorm Treks(*FHR, Nice defense,+str and vit, HIGH Poison Res) smile.gif

Helm*:This is A VERY important Part of this build
:Possibly the best helm for this build would be a Rare Circlet with +1% Ar per level, +2 pal,+str/dex/res, sockets for ias/or whatever you lack
:shako(+life/mana/Skills/Stats)
:Vampire Gaze(blink.gif, Cute, use if you feel you are short on dr)
^_^Phew, Finally done with the gear, onto example set ups then wot wot blink.gif

Example Set up(s)
smile.gif Helm:Shako(Ber)
Weapon:Eagle Horn with Shael
Amulet:Highlords wrath
Rings:Dual raven frost for HIGH Ar &****Also important
Belt:verdungos for dr In my stash, i keep Wizard Spike+4 Psapphire/Topaz shield for Sorcs/Fohdins
Armor:shaftstop with ed/ias jewel
Boots:Gore Riders
Gloves:Draculs

#2 Helm:Shako(Light facet)
Armor:Shaft Stop(ed/ias jewel)
Glove:Death Set
Belt:Death Set
Rings:Angelic/Soj
Ammy:Angelic
Boots:water Walks
Weapon:Wf
On switch:Foh weapon+Hoz(um)

*Charms*
Because I was a Pure ranger, I went for +max charms///+life charms, +xmax/ar/life, +xmax/ar/R/w, +ar/Life charms
^^*Annihilus
For those who choose hybrids
5~7 Combat Skill Charms
2 Offensive SKill charms
Annhilus Charm, +life/res charms

Goal:9 Fps Shooting, 1.5 k or more life, (if u choose to foh)maybe 3-4 K Foh dmg, 3k+Bow dmg, 10k+ar

Ill write duelling tips when i have more time

Conclusion
huh.gif Im new to this
Comments are appreciated =( I worked hard on writing this
TT Please comment~
-Aaron(Kirby^^)

This post was edited by KiRBY HUnter on Jun 18 2004 12:17am
Jun 18 2004 02:56am
Does this guide not help anyone? sad.gif
Or am i just posting at a bad time?^^ tongue.gif

This post was edited by KiRBY HUnter on Jun 18 2004 02:58am
Gold: 1.50
Warn: 50%
Jun 18 2004 08:58am
I am very interested in making one once ladder ends and I can get a Widowmaker. I think a pally focused on fantacism, 10x Offensive charms, and GA from Widowmaker would really rock the PVP World.
Jun 18 2004 09:11am
QUOTE (KeNdY @ Jun 18 2004, 02:58 PM)
I am very interested in making one once ladder ends and I can get a Widowmaker. I think a pally focused on fantacism, 10x Offensive charms, and GA from Widowmaker would really rock the PVP World.

Widowmaker is merely a Suggested weapon, id only use one against a smiter or a barb with high def
IMO just using eagle or wf is fine

and no real point in using 10x offensive charms even if ur a templar hybrid version
Even then combats would be better
That or just using +life/res/max charms

This post was edited by KiRBY HUnter on Jun 18 2004 09:13am
Gold: 1.50
Warn: 50%
Jun 18 2004 09:11am
How do you hit without GA?
Jun 18 2004 09:13am
QUOTE (KeNdY @ Jun 18 2004, 03:11 PM)
How do you hit without GA?

my 10k+Ar
only widow against barbs n smiters
i have about 20k+ Ar
so im fine most of the time
Gold: 16.45
Jun 18 2004 10:56am
I think he might have meant "how do you actually get the arrow to come into contact with them?"

I mean the only thing that is going to be an easy target is melee characters, and thats only because theyre going to be completely willing to be hit. I couldnt imagine you actually getting a lot of hits off against a fast caster with tele (which is like everyone now adays). I think that there is high potential in a build like this, but im not sure if this is the best way to do it (thinking about experimenting). Is this character made on SP or a realm, or is it based on theory? If so, I would like to duel it.

Lets say you have unimaginable aim, and you are actually able to predict where a caster is teleing, how much damage do you do?
Jun 18 2004 07:11pm
QUOTE (_GANDY @ Jun 18 2004, 04:56 PM)
I think he might have meant "how do you actually get the arrow to come into contact with them?"

I mean the only thing that is going to be an easy target is melee characters, and thats only because theyre going to be completely willing to be hit.  I couldnt imagine you actually getting a lot of hits off against a fast caster with tele (which is like everyone now adays).  I think that there is high potential in a build like this, but im not sure if this is the best way to do it (thinking about experimenting).  Is this character made on SP or a realm, or is it based on theory?  If so, I would like to duel it. 

Lets say you have unimaginable aim, and you are actually able to predict where a caster is teleing, how much damage do you do?

Actually, its not very difficult to get arrows to connect, think throw barb blink.gif just aim carefully
Thats why I also recommended FoH If you just CANT hit them
^^
Sorry, you probably wont be able to duel me =(
This char was made back when i played in Asia
Im rebuilding all my chars onto useast now....but i just dont have the funds for all of them t.t tongue.gif
and

My bow dmg with wf is about 10k, eagle horn like 7k , lots of dmg charms and ed ^^

This post was edited by KiRBY HUnter on Jun 18 2004 07:12pm
Gold: 12.80
Warn: 20%
Jun 18 2004 07:28pm
why add to things like blessed aim and holy shock if ur gonna use fanatiscm the whole time...
Jun 18 2004 07:39pm
QUOTE (.Ghost. @ Jun 19 2004, 01:28 AM)
why add to things like blessed aim and holy shock if ur gonna use fanatiscm the whole time...

If you read the whole guide, it states that Blessed aim gives a passive 5% ar bonus per point
Holy shock for those who want to gothe templar way
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
1237Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll